Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Countertop Geology, Part 5: Marble, Quartzite and other Favorites

Posted by karin_mt (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 14, 14 at 18:22

This is round five of the Great Rocks Thread!

Please post your rock questions here. I've copied the basic info about quartzite and marble here because this is the most frequent question.

Quartzite and marble are hopelessly (deliberately?) mixed up in the decorative stone industry. My point, aside from just loving rocks, is to help folks learn how to tell the difference between the two so you are not at the mercy of a sales rep when a multi-thousand dollar purchase hangs in the balance.

Quartzite is much harder than marble and will not etch when exposed to acids. You can tell the difference between quartzite and marble by doing the scratch test and the etch test.

Scratch Test
Take a glass bottle or a glass tile with you when you go stone shopping. Find a rough, sharp edge of the stone. Drag the glass over the edge of the stone. Press pretty hard. Try to scratch the glass with the stone.

Quartzite will bite right into the glass and will leave a big scratch mark.
Any feldspar will do the same. (Granites are made mostly of feldspar)

Calcite and dolomite (that's what marble and limestone are made of) will not scratch. In fact you will be able to feel in your hand that the rock won't bite into the glass. It feels slippery, no matter how hard you press.

PS - don't press so hard that you risk breaking the glass in your hand. You shouldn't need to press that hard!

Etch Test
Etching is when the surface of a rock is dissolved from acids like lemon juice, vinegar, wine, etc. It is the primary bummer about using marble in a kitchen. Etching is most noticeable on polished rocks. Etching is not prevented by sealers, no matter what you hear from the sales rep!

Doing the etch test is simple: bring home a sample of the rock and put lemon juice or vinegar on it. Even after a few minutes the results are usually obvious. Etched areas look duller and are discolored compared to the rest of the slab.

Some people get conflicting results with these two tests, but normally anything in the marble family will not scratch glass and it will etch.

Quartzite and rocks in the granite family will scratch glass and will not etch.

For reference, here are links to the other rock threads, in which many types of rocks have been discussed.

Rocks 101: The Lowdown on Super White

Rocks 102: Marble, Quartzite and Other Rocks in the Kitchen

Rocks 103: Countertop Geology: Marble and quartzite and granite, oh my!

Rocks part 4, Marble, Granite, Quartzite

With that, let the rock conversations continue!
-Karin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Countertop Geology, Part 5: Marble, Quartzite and other Favor

Thanks Karin

o

Yes,

Thanks Karin.

I have installed Blue Pearl and am pretty happy with it. My husband had the honor of breaking the first porcelain cup on the counter.

The stone came with a sealer because I assumed they would not put it on, unless I requested it. Guess I will see how it wears since I will not pay to remove it. Same as I will not pay for a fix where the TV hangs that the architect should redo because it is not what I wanted. Have to live with that mistake staring at me every time I watch TV. Sorry, I digress. The marble counter at the TV area looks beautiful. I had that piece honed. So much easier to keep dust from showing. The beautiful Blue Pearl shows all of the mess. (i am messy.) Dust isn't the issue, though.

Glad this thread is till going strong.

By the way, the fabricators and installers did a great job.

One thing I insisted upon was that I wanted to see where the layout was placed on the slabs. I did chose the slabs for this also. The guys had the slabs flat and showed us every angle in the light and where they would place the patterns. They showed where the seams would be and we were all in agreement after the meeting.

Karen

o

Oh, I am so happy! I showed my husband the etching on the Super White and he said he'll be fine with it…Yay!! I really wanted light/grey countertops but i am fine with etching/staining/patina, i actually like it a lot! But my husband is the one who went nuts when i showed him a piece of stained marble… I am still going to repeat the staining test overnight just to make sure, but YEY :)))

o

Hi Karin,

I'd love to mail you my samples to see what you can find - I'm so curious!

I've sent you an email with my email address, so you can send me an address...

Best,
Anj

o

left my sample with wine and tea…it stained :(((( not as bad as marble, or maybe marble was not sealed….but anyway, that Super White is out of the question, we have 3 kids, i don't want them to be scared to use the kitchen….

what about this jet mist honed? any reason to believe it would not stain?

o

the first one is also called virginia mist

and another back-up plan, Silver Wave…is it granite?

o

Rock on is right! Thanks for continuing the thread:-)

Joan

o

YuliaO, you could ask the fabricator to seal your sample and then try the staining test again. Sealing should prevent it from staining.

o

My sample was sealed…. :( she clearly told me that and she said it never etches or gets stains :(

o

I love Jet Mist, Virginia Mist, Ebony Mist, American Black different names for a stone coming from two quarries in Culpepper VA, one of the nicer local stones in my opinion.. Make sure you choose your slabs as the amount of "white veining" varies tremendously. As fabricators we use Miracle Sealant 511 Sealer/Impregnator, but never the less don't leave your oil bottle in contact with the stone. The sealers slow pentration they don't preclude it. I know some question the use of sealers for some stones but I have never particularly understood the reasoning. Maybe someone can help me understand.

o

Andrea posted a question as post #150 on the last thread, so I will paste it here and answer it.

So just so I have my details clear - quartzite and granite are the best choices for durability in a kitchen correct? Did I read that quartzite can still etch, but doesn't scratch and that granite doesn't etch or scratch?

Not quite. Actual quartzite doesn't etch. But quartzite that is really marble but is sold as quartzite does etch. Similarly, that same mislabeled quartzite will also be scratched easily if it is actually marble. The bottom line with quartzite - you have to test it to find out what it really is. Actual quartzite is wonderful if you can get it!

We spoke with the owner of the granite place and they will replace our stone. As much as I love the super white look I need something that won't cut when the pizza cutter rolls off onto the counter and that won't etch badly if things like fruit juice are spilled on it. Any suggestions on what type of stone is best as well as any more specific suggestions on a light color that has a similar look to super white? Thank you all so very much for your help!

Awesome that your shop will do this, good for you. Light colored granites include River White, Kashmir White and plenty of others that I don't know the names of. But they won't look like Super White.

If you can find it, White Macaubus quartzite is stunning.

o

Karen Ohio,

Congratulations on your Blue Pearl! It's always nice to hear about successful installations since it seems like we only hear about the botched ones. Sounds like your fabricators did a super job and you were smart to spec out every last detail.

Yulia,
Keep looking! I think a granite is a better fit for you guys. You're getting closer!

o

"If you can find it, White Macaubus quartzite is stunning"
_____

River White granite is really pretty and the plan was to use that if I couldn't find the White Macubus. I saw some River Whites that had really nice movement and coloration.

If you're going to look for Macubus, get familiar with how it looks. Some shops told me they had it, but what they actually had was a different kind of quartzite or something that I knew probably was marble.

I did have to hunt a bit longer than if I had gone with the River White right off the bat, but I knew I wanted the macaubus so I just kept looking.

I posted a picture of my macaubus in thread #4. Here's a closer shot to see the coloration. It's white with blue-grey lines and rust-colored lines.

o

Hi everyone. I came across gardenweb during my research of kitchen counters. I've enjoyed following everyone's progress over the last 4 threads. I want to use white quartzite and have not been able to find "real" quartzite in my search. I too have had the same experience as recent posters where my sample cut glass, but also etched with a lemon wedge. It did stain a little with red wine, but not as bad as the White Ice granite sample, which seemed to soak up everything. Thank you for your knowledge and experience. It has saved me from a kitchen nightmare! I will continue with my search.

Also, the granite yard told us that we would have to sign a waiver if we used quartzite, is this common practice?

o

(copying here hoping for more responses)

We walked into one showroom couple of days ago and they had kitchen on display with jet mist honed countertop….I hated it! Even though i liked the slab, i absolutely hated it in the kitchen for some reason!

So, we've decided to go with Super White honed for our kitchen.
Although it comes sealed i do need to apply more sealer, right? What kind of sealer should i get? And how do i apply it?

Someone mentioned Method's granite cleaner. Do you just clean with it on daily basis or apply before using, like a sealer?

What else can i do to make sure my SW stays nice and clean for as long as possible?

What product can i use to get rid of the stains if they happen that does not etch the countertop ? And daily maintenance, what should i use?

Did anybody notice if whiter Super White stains more then grayer one? We have two suppliers and their super whites are different. One has very grey super white (that we actually like)-attached photo… and other has regular super white.

Would appreciate any advice! Thank you!

o

Hi Emcn,

What was the waiver for? Was in in case they quartzite turned out to be marble or was it for other reasons? I haven't heard of that before. I'm glad these threads are helpful - saving you from trouble is exactly my intent!

Yulia,

I'd be careful with "granite" cleaner on marble, because it might have acids in it. Read the label carefully and only use it if it specifically says it's OK for marble. I don't have any knowledge of cleaning products but hopefully others can chime in.

As for staining, I would bet that the porosity and "stainability" is the same between the white and grey versions of Super White, but on the grey stone the stains would be less visible.

Hope that helps,
Karin

o

Thank you Karin! So you say i should treat Super White as marble, not granite or quartzite?

o

Right. It is marble and therefore should be treated as such.

o

Hello experts! The counter I want is Onyx. Bummer, I found a rough edge, and took a knife and literally scraped a bit of powder into a shot glass. (The shot glass was never gonna get scratched on the edge, so decided to collect some rock into it and drip my lemon juice into the shot glass.) no bubbles formed from the powder interacting with the lemone juice. Is that good or bad? The powder I scraped was from a whiter section of this...any chance the colored areas are something much harder?

o

It's hard to tell what to make of your results. Even hard rocks can crumble, so the fact that the rock crumbled doesn't actually tell us if it's harder than glass. Or did you try to scratch the glass with the rock?

The lemon juice may or may not fizz. Vinegar probably would fizz, but the go-to test for actual fizzing is diluted hydrochloric acid, which isn't something that normal people have on hand. That's why the test for etching (rather than fizzing) is a better one.

Is the rock likely to be harder in different spots? No, not really. And even if it was, the weaker spots are still cause for concern.

o

I did try to scratch the shot glass with the edge, I couldnt. I scratched a mason jar at home with a sample of another material, and it did scratch, so I'm pretty sure I applied the right amount of pressure. What ended up in the glass was a very fine powder. I guess I just have to decide how much upkeep I want, lots of sealing, and the inevitable dents/scratching from dropping a mug here or there in exchange for a lovely island and perimeter counters.

Thank You Karin_MT

o

So I'm sad that I will be losing the look of the super white - which will be taken out soon. But I am very excited to have a usable kitchen again and not be so frantic all the time about every little thing that etches and scratches the counters. Here is one of the slabs of Alaska white that we picked out - the pic is kind of bad. (I had asked about the white macaubas - but the samples they had were not as attractive as what I have seen others post and they said that they etch...so now that I have read that true quartzite doesn't etch it must not be that). In any case I need to decide if we should have the alaska white honed or polished. Our current super white is honed and I like the look of it. Anyone ever see Alaska white in a honed finish?

o

I love this Alaska White slab! Beautiful!

o

I think it would look cool honed - a friend has a similar one honed, or perhaps even leathered (is that the name of the rougher finish?) - it's a neat look. Hope you can find what you want!

o

When I went to the parade of homes show in Plain City, Ohio, I saw an island of honed + polished stone that I absolutely thought was the best thing since sliced bread. It might have been Alaska White, but I can't remember now because no one else cared for it. Anyway, it had been honed and some areas of different minerals were not dull, they stayed polished. You could see this effect mostly from a distance or at an angle to the top of the table.

Karen

o

Thanks to everyone who has been helping me so far! I now have a sample of the Verde Borgonga Granite (or is it Serpentine?). I have tried the following tests on it:
1. Scratch test - The granite scratched the bottom of a glass.

2. Scratch Test 2 - The Granite was scratched by a serrated knife, finger nail clippers, but not my fairly dull paring knife.

3. lemon test - the Granite showed no etching when a lime slice was left on it for an hour.

4 Vinegar - The granite showed no etching when vinegar was left on it for an hour.

5. lemon test 2 - I left a lime on the Granite overnight. The Granite had etched, but only where the cream/white streaks were located. It really brought out the white in the piece. The green parts were unafected.

6. Oil - I left olive oil in a puddle on the granite overnight. It did not make a mark or seem to be absorbed in any way.

I think this means that it will work fairly well in our kitchen. I, while not being the best housekeeper, should be able to wipe down the counters after parties and before going to bed at night.

Did I miss anything that I should have done? Does that shed any light on what kind of rock this is? Will it be a good rock for a working kitchen?

Thanks,
Muppetmom

o

Great summary! Your post gets a gold star for top-notch reporting of your rock traits.

The white parts of the rock that etched are cracks in the rock that have filled in with the mineral calcite. That's what marble is made of too which is why it etches also. Calcite-filled cracks are very common in lots of kinds of rocks. Those cracks happened a long, long time ago and the calcite filling has healed them over. That said, the white parts probably are somewhat weaker but most likely are nothing to worry about.

The fact that a knife scratched the rock is also not uncommon. A knife blade is about the same hardness as feldspar and quartz.

I agree, I think this rock is a go for a kitchen. Nice work!

As for what the rock is, it's still hard to say. I doubt it's serpentine with that hardness. But green rocks are a little tricky to ID. Can you post another picture or two?

o

Karin will have to take the verde borgogna to the lab to ID it!
It is called granite,marble and or quartzite by many different stone importers or distributors..
I think it may be similar to a rain forest green which is a serpentinite.
Very beautiful stone!

o

Yeah, I'm not fluent with serpentinites. I think they are soft though - the minerals in the serpentine group are like 2.5 - 4 on Mohs hardness scale. But I keep hearing about harder serpentinites so I don't know what that's all about. Still more to learn!

o

As i understand not all marbles are the same…Do you think some are more stain-prone then others?

The ones that are in my price range are Pearl Grey and Royal Danby, Verde Saltan (its black, does it stain anyway?) and Carrara…

Are they all the same?

I just went to pick up my daughter from playdate and they have marble in the kitchen….oh my, it's SO beautiful!! its so warm and cozy!!

o

Yulia, I linked a site below that has the water absorption rate of many types of marble. That absorption rate tells you how much water can soak in and how porous it is. That is also related to it's likelihood to get stained. However, sealers do a good job of preventing staining.

As always, you need to bring home a sample and test it. If you are concerned about staining, you'll need a sealed sample so that the tests are the same as how it would be in real life.

BTW, on the link below, the formatting is all wonky. The info is good though.

Here is a link that might be useful: chart of popular marbles

o

karin_mt,
thank you so much! I looked through your link yesterday.

I went to 2 stone yards today…i loved some of the marbles but i still was scared to get it…

I drove myself crazy, my husband could not go with me so i had to make a decision for both of us… And his taste is very different from mine… i was so nervous and overwhelmed I felt really sick and dizzy at some point…

So i just went with soapstone…I am not sure if i will regret this decision later or not…The one i picked is quite soft..but the other one they had, the harder one - was shiny and very very dark…

As long as it does not stain i think my husband will be happy with it….And i am reading about sanding and oiling and all that :( I am not sure i quite recognize the amount of upkeeping i got myself into….But…we'll see :)

o

close up
it has freckles, its not water drops….

do you know what kind of soapstone it might be? they didn't have a name for it, it just arrived :)

o

OTTM mom, onyx is a calcareous stone (i.e. one that has calcium in it, similar to marble) so acids will etch it. It probably is soft too. The slab looks lovely, but you would need to be willing to live with the surface acquiring a patina from scratching and etching.

Editing to correct after looking a bit more - apparently real onyx isn't calcium based - it is made of silica minerals (e.g. quartz) so it is relatively hard and shouldn't etch, but a common stones that look similar like banded calcite are often also called onyx and those have calcium.

This post was edited by cloud_swift on Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 21:00

o

Congratulations Yulia!

I'm not very good at knowing all the names of commercial varieties so I'm afraid I can't help with the name. Hopefully the stone yard will come up with the name for you. But regardless, I hope you love it!

o

Thank you!

Is there a Soapstoneology 101 type of information somewhere? In regards to how to take care, what oils to use, waxing and all that?

o

The only oil I have seen used is food grade mineral oil. I wanted to use slate, but had my fingers slapped. Chose Blue Pearl instead. I did get my slate from Pennsylvania, but had to use it on the floor of my entryway.

I think I could have used soapstone, but I couldn't find the stone I liked.

Karen

o

We went to see my slab templated this morning and had to make one compromise. We wanted to do a mitered corner because of the flow of the rock, but the slab was a hair short. It was a huge slab, we got 58 square feet from the one slab, just not big enough. And my husband just got home and tells me they are going to do the install tomorrow, I am so excited! I have to admit, I am ready to have my sink and dishwasher back.

o

Message to karin:

Thx for sharing your expertise here. I've worked with stone for 14 years and still come across new materials regularly so your insights are quite valuable. Sometimes the new colors we get are a nightmare for the fabricator (schists in particular)

o

I have a question (again)

Our soapstone was installed and looks nice…It scratches like crazy, though. The fabricator will have to come back and refinish the whole area because they scratched it in many areas during installation.
Anyway, they gave me a small piece of my slab that they just cut.

I never had soapstone before but i wanted to make sure it does not stain. It does not. But the oil left a very strange stain. It kinda went inside and made parts of the stone see through if it makes sense…I can't get rid of it, nothing cleans it up…
Thoughts?

o

side of the piece

o

Hi Yulia,

I've been out of town so I haven't been keeping up with GW. It looks like your soapstone absorbs oil, which I guess is the point of oiling them and that does change the look. Did your oil spot become less noticeable or did you come across another solution?

OldRyder,

Thanks! I've learned a lot from you too - we're coming at it from opposite ends and I do think we compliment each other nicely. I can imagine that you see new things with some regularity, and you have to figure out each new stone you work with. Agreed, schists are so tricky with all that mica. But they're blingy, so that makes up for it, right?

So here's a question for you OldRyer - my local stone yard emailed some pics of a plane Jane tan limestone with a vivid orange color inside a crack. I need to go see it in person. There are some vivid orange minerals but it's not a common color. I'm wondering if it could be something similar to the dreaded 'green bloom.' Have you heard of anything bright orange appearing in slabs?

Thanks!
Karin

o

Hello all:

I just joined the site today so I could post here. I stumbled to the Rock 101 yesterday as I was researching for kitchen counters and spacing and after 2 days of reading, and side tracking to other stones sites, all the way from 101 to now 105 I have to say this thread is detrimental to health! (its so addictive I stayed up till 4:30am and have at it again about 9am this morning again).

I must thank all of you for your valuable input. I'm years away from getting my dream kitchen but now I have an unstoppable desire to renovate my punny apartment kitchen in Vancouver Canada. :( which all my friends and relatives told me not to because I had plan to sell it in the near future... so I'll just painfully drool over while I continue to read this thread ;P

I do have a question though, while reading through this I stumbled across a marble Calacatta Lasa (Biano Lasa come very close, in fact they look almost the same to me) which I just fell in love with immediately. Being terrible in the kitchen I have no faith I can keep it nice for even a week. So I went searching for close alternative granite or quartzite and found this Taj Mahal and the site have this "aka calacatta brazil" labelled behind it. It's nowhere close to the actual Calacatta Lasa I see on other website. I'm wondering if people here might have seen something else? I'm also wondering is it possible to self repair stained, etched, dented, scratched marble so its not too noticeable?

Anyone here has a Calacatta Lasa or Biano Lasa countertop they can share their experience here?

I'll be going to Vancouver Buildex in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can meet some suppliers there. Many thanks everyone, I really enjoyed really this very long, fun and informative thread!

PS: I have no idea how to post with photos, I uploaded the samples but not sure they'll show up?

AES.

o

Hi hi, its me again, I couldn't figure out how to post multiple photos in the same post so sorry for the multiple posting. I just want to get the photos up.............. so sorry, I'll try and learn how to do that before I post again after today. My original post above show the "aka calacatta brazil".

This is Calacatta Lasa:

o

And last but not least this is Bianco Lasa:

o

Welcome AES!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the geologic reading here. :)

So, I can't quite tell what your question is about Taj Mahal vs the other two. But if you like the look of marble and are concerned about the upkeep then genuine quartzite is certainly a good choice. As you've learned from your reading, there's lots of confusion about marble vs quartzite and the naming, re-naming and mis-naming of rocks from the stone yards. But you've also learned how to tell the difference. So in any case, regardless of the label, you'll want to do the tests to see for yourself if its quartzite or marble.

If you are wondering if Taj Mahal, is the same thing as Calcatta Lasa I would say no. They don't look alike in your photos. I'm not sure why one would expect them to be the same?

As for self-repair of marble I think that's very difficult if its polished and is somewhat possible if its honed. Even so, you end up with an area that looks a little different from the rest of the stone. It's not a strategy I would count on.

I'd encourage you to go for actual quartzite; it sounds like that is the best fit for you.

Happy rock-hunting!
Karin

o

Karin:

"my local stone yard emailed some pics of a plane Jane tan limestone with a vivid orange color inside a crack. I need to go see it in person. There are some vivid orange minerals but it's not a common color."

Only one guess - since it's in a crack maybe it's an adhesive applied by the quarry. If it's adhesive the orange color is probably a mistake. you would probably see other evidence of the adhesive on the back or edges of the slab if thats what it is.

o

Excellent, that is a good suggestion, thanks. I was just browsing through a list of orange minerals and there are more than I thought - they are unusual but not impossible. I think by looking at the slab I might be able to tell, but we'll see.

One thing that's making me lean toward it being natural is that if it were an epoxy or filler it might be visible in the other void spaces in the rock, like those little pockets seen throughout the rock. But it's just in the vein. Groundwater circulates through those veins and it can bring in different ions and cause chemical reactions and novel minerals.

Here's a pic.

o

Karen, I'd be interested in any insights you have about the make-up of the "granite" my kids are buying for their kitchen island.

It's labeled Galaxy Blue. I don't have a picture but it looks a lot like this slab:

There are shiny metallic looking flakes in it.

o

Hi Karin,
I don't know if this has been asked before but with all the hubbub about etching marble, has anyone just taken a spray bottle of lemon juice or vinegar and drenched the whole slab or their entire countertop, thus etching the entire thing? It seems to me that unless it changes the color of the marble, it would take a lot of the worry out about etching. What do you think about this tactic?

o

Sorry to have been so scarce lately!
Oohlikethat
Perfect
We often recommend re- honing with white vinegar as the perfect solution to blotchy sheen that comes with acid etching

o

Yes you can hone your marble with lemon juice or similar.
Here are some of the reasons I might not do it that way.
Many different types of marble out there and grades as well.
It could be hard to get a uniform finish as you have no real control. How long do you leave the acid on the surface?
The stone will neutralize the acid making it weaker in some areas. In some stones weaker veining systems could be eroded somewhat.
I think the biggest drawback is that you open up the pores or surface of the stone to soiling. It will be rougher and therefore harder to clean.
A more uniformed smoother surface can be attained using abrasive such as silicon carbon, aluminum oxides, diamond abrasives etc.
Using these abrasives you can control the finish to your liking.
We have had folks hone their countertops using muriatic acid dilutions. In some cases the damage was so severe the surfaces had to ground using very aggressive abrasives to remove the damage.

This post was edited by srosen on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 6:39

o

This is a great thread! I never understood what etching was but now I do! Thank you!

o
Andrea01- RE: Countertop Geology, Part 5: Marble, Quartzite and o

Andrea01, I LOVE that Alaska White slab! Perfect! Gorgeous!

o

What depth of marble is typically used on bathroom vanities? It seem like 2 cm rather than 3 cm from photos I've seen. I'm choosing marble for the vanity on our master bath remodel. Thank you!

o

I am just checking this thread after having been busy for a few weeks...

Karen, my leathered antique brown has that different kind of honed plus reflective quality to it. Maybe that is what you saw at the parade of homes, a leathered finish.

There are several places where things sort of shine out, and from an certain angle these places shine like stainless steel. There's a tiny shooting star, a sunburst, and other things that the kids have found, depending on how the light is coming in.

I really love it.

o
make this easy for me please!

Can you just tell me what to choose for my 1920's redo bathroom for small vanity countertop. Yes, I love marble on the white side…like Carrara or White Rhino...but I have kids and this is for a well used (our main) bathroom. Please someone just tell me what to do! I am dizzy from reading this wonderful gardenweb.com for a week now, my laundry is piling up! Thanks in advance.
Basket weave on floor, small white crackle white tiles on the wall.

o

Hmm, I'd post that question, along with pictures in its own thread. This thread is more about the qualities of stone than the aesthetic decisions. I'm sure if you post pics you'll get some opinions. Good luck!

o

Dear Karin-
I'm contemplating marble counters for my kitchen. I fell in love with a slab called Fort Stone Marble. I've been unable to find info on this particular type anywhere. The coloration is dark grey with white veins (honed). Picture below. Any insights you might offer on the qualities of this marble versus more popular varieties would be sincerely appreciated. As it is, marble counters make me nervous. I've never owned them, and my counters get heavy use. If for some reason this particular marble is even less resilient than popular types, I'd probably rather switch to something more durable - such as Virginia Mist Granite (honed). Thank you for your comments!

o

Karin, first thank you so much for your informative articles. I was lucky to get a sample piece of a slab of super white and thanks to your articles did tests on it. It scratched glass but etched so I ruled it out. They sealed my little piece but i still had etching.

I am now looking at Taj Mahal. I can't get a sample of it so have no way to test it. Is Taj Mahal a true quartzite?

o

Good job on your testing!
Yes, Taj Mahal is quartzite. Ideally you'd be able to confirm that somehow, even with a couple drops of vinegar on the slab at the stoneyard.

Happy stone hunting!

Ohhh, rats I had posted a response to the dark marble question above and it disappeared. As a quick recap, I also responsed in the separate thread on that particular question, but the short answer is that dark marble has all the same properties as a light-colored marble. I don't have any insights on that specific stone, but certainly it will etch, just as they all do.

o

In my experience (dark marble bathroom vanity top) dark marble shows etching much more than light marble--the etches are white against the dark marble (on a white marble, etching shows up when the light hits it in a certain way, and it can be mitigated by having a honed finish). I don't think dark marble would be practical in a kitchen at all, unfortunately.

o

I just finished reading all 5 threads after bringing home 2 "quartzites" that failed my testing. Here is my question - has anyone found a grey and white quartzite that is actually a quartzite? I really wanted cool grey tones for my kitchen with white to pull in my white cabinets. However, after doing all the reading, it seems like all of the gray/white combos like Super White, White Princess, White Arabesque are really marbles. If so, I'll go with my back-up of Taj Mahal which I tested and passed, but just want to confirm and make sure!

o

Check out White Macaubus, and the cross cut version called Bianca Calacatta or Calacata Macabus. Sea Pearl is also a nice one.

You are correct though, that there are more imposters than there are genuine quartzites. Impressive that you read all 5 threads - that's commitment!

o

Have just joined this amazing forum after reading through all of the posts in Karin's 5 Countertop Geology primers. Many thanks for all the great information here!

Am trying to make an informed decision on purchasing granite countertops for our soon-to-be constructed home. I've located a stone called "Cielo De Marfil" (see photo below) which the stone yard tells us is granite. Cannot get a sample to test it until we commit to our fabricator with 50% deposit, and they receive the slabs. Has anyone heard of Cielo De Marfil or used it themselves? If so, please share your experiences. Karin, are you familiar with this particular name? Many thanks!!

o

Everything I have found with the work marfil in it has been a marble. I would be very careful. Err on your side! I wouldn't put any money down until I was positive and had a guarantee that it was not marble.

o

I have heard of Cielo de Marfil. My local place also calls it granite, and it was priced similar to granite (not marble or quartzite). I have no other personal experience with it but wanted to share that at least :)

o

I'm pretty sure that's 'granite.' I use the quotes because it's not quite what a geologist would call granite, but it's in the same family. So from the kitchen point of view, yes, it's granite. The picture leaves a little bit of question, but when I googled it I found other pics that are more definitive.

Still, if you can get a sample you really should.

o

I am hoping one of the resident stone experts can help me identify this granite. Our local granite yard labeled it as "Omega" but I'm certain that's a name they made up themselves. The tag said country of origin is Italy.

I have photos of two slabs. The color in my photos is a bit off. It is a bit warmer in reality. The large veins are creamy white. There are smooth large 'blotches' of sheer gold that wash over it in areas, and there are very few tiny deep garnet colors spotting here and there. It reminds me a bit of River White, but definitely different.

[img] photo 0407141251a.jpg[/img]

[img] photo 0407141232b.jpg[/img]

[img] photo 0407141251.jpg[/img]

[img] photo 0407141232a.jpg[/img]

can anyone please help so I can understand what I'm buying (or may buy) a bit better?

o

Hi Karin, thanks so much for providing all this amazing information!

We have picked out 3 slabs of Super White for our new build kitchen and master bath. The supplier has called it a quartize, but from reading here I know it's really a marble. They have a "permanent sealer" which they have offered to apply once the counters have been installed and say it will last for 10 years. At $800, I want to be sure it's worth it or will I be throwing my money away. The website link below is from the company. Even though it says it's for granite, they've assured me they can put it on the SW. I don't want to ruin this beautiful stone before I even move in!

Any recommendations?

This is one of our slabs. They templated today and we're going on Wednesday to place the templates. Thanks!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Here is a link that might be useful: Permanent Sealer

o

Illinigirl,

Yes that is like River White, geologically speaking anyway. It's gneiss, a metamorphic rock that has similar minerals as granite. The creamy white is feldspar, the garnet-colored mineral is garnet, and the gold is mica. I don't know the commercial name.

I'd expect it to be plenty hard and it won't etch. Some of the lighter colored granites can be prone to staining.

Is that what you needed to know?

NHBaskets,

Good that you know what you're getting with Super White. I don't know that much about sealers, but Srosen, Trebuchet, and Old Ryder do. You might consider putting up a new thread to catch their attention.

I don't think that Super White needs a particularly special sealer.

Good luck to both of you!

o

Oh Karin, thank you!!!!

excellent news for me. Do you think they have labeled the country of origin accurately as being from Italy? I searched high and low on google and couldn't find anything similar with Italian origin. And if I'm not mistaken River White is from Brazil.

Thanks again for your helpful information!

o

Illinigirl, I'd have no idea on the country of origin, as that's a fairly common type of rock. But Italy sounds exotic, so let's go with that!

o

Thanks Karin,
lol on sounding exotic. I asked the stone yard if they could come up with any aliases/commercial names- and they couldn't.

o

Jett254

Look for White Macaubus Quartzite or the other one which I think is the same stone, but cross-cut (Calactta Quartzite?) It has blue/grey on a white base. Also a little bit of a rust color in there. The base of the stone is very white. I used Sherwin Williams Pearly White paint on my cabinets which matched the base of the Macaubus.

The Macaubus has striations of color, and and the Calacutta has more swirly lines and movement.

o

Karen, did you miss my post on Galaxy Blue above? Any idea what kind of stone it is or what makes the silvery metallic flakes in it?

o

Whoops! Yes I totally missed that, sorry. Thanks for posting again. That rock looks like a schist, which is a metamorphic rock that contains an abundance of mica. In this case, the silver mica is called muscovite.

Some slabs with a lot of mica can be troublesome to fabricate because it can't be polished smooth, particularly on the edges. The mica minerals form in little flakes that sometime continue to flake. I don't know if this applies to Galaxy Blue or not.

It's beautiful though and would be a dramatic countertop!

o

These threads have been so informative! I now know (after reading through all 5 threads) that we were fortunate to find actual quartzite. Ours looked just like Super White but was called White Mountain. It scratched glass, didn't etch but I was able to scratch it with a knife. So why that past tense? Because in transport to the house it cracked badly. Obviously I refused to accept it and the stone yard was great about it. They inspected all their slabs and said all had the same fissure that caused the break. Back to square one. They had another quartzite in the yard. They didn't offer it to me, I think because it was more $$$$. I saw it though and loved it and they're giving it to me for the same price. I hope it's also quartzite. They say it is and that it's even tougher than what I first chose (no fissures.) So far they've been very honest with me. We were in such a hurry to find a replacement that I didn't do the acid test. They're calling it Fantasy White, but I've found that this yard seems to use their own naming conventions. Picture is of the new stone.

o

Aww, so sad about those slabs. I hate hearing about stuff like that.

I would urge you to test the new rock. Even well-intentioned salespeople can be wrong. It's really pretty though, so I hope it really is quartzite!

o

Thanks Karin. I may run up there on my lunch hour. One thing that gives me confidence is that this yard is so adamant against marble that they don't have any marble slabs in the yard. They will special order slabs for you but you have to sign a waiver that you understand the risks.
That said I'd still like to test it. I'm not opposed to marble and the etching doesn't really bother me. I think it would all kind of blend in after a while but I'd treat it differently if I knew it was marble.

o

I posted these pictures on my thread about getting the counters installed but I'm posting them here in the hopes that Karin might have some comments on them. (Thank you Karin for all your fascinating posts here, I've learned a ton!) They do not etch as far as I can tell. I cut up a lemon on the cooktop cutout piece that they left me and I left the lemon, the slices and the juice on it for several hours with no problem. I was not able to scratch glass with it. So a mixed result.

o

Hi Christina,

I'm glad you posted here - I saw your post in the other thread yesterday but didn't have time to respond. I love your stone! My hunch is that it's real quartzite. The glassy, translucent look in that 3rd picture is one of the visual differences between quartz and marble.

The fact that it didn't etch is also very telling, so perhaps with the scratch test you didn't get a nice sharp edge to scratch with, or possibly you didn't press hard enough. But I think you've got quartzite. It sure is gorgeous! We are definitely going to need more pics with your white cat too.

Yesterday I went on an amazing backcountry ski adventure (still quite wintry here in MT) and I saw some nice quartzite rocks below the snow line. All I could think about was countertops! Funny how we like to obsess about these things. :)

Enjoy your awesome kitchen!

o

Thanks Karin, it's over 90 here, wish I had gone skiing! My counter is very translucent, you feel like you're looking into a chunk of ice in some places. Its good to know I don't have to be too psychotic about my family putting down a glass on it!

Thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated!

o

Hi Karen, I think you are correct that the Galaxy Blue is a schist. It was kind of a saga but the ending is happy.

When they chose it they had heard that it could be difficult to fabricate. They checked with the fabricator A their GC planned to use and he said it was fine.

When it came time to install, fabricator A was booked many weeks out so the GC was going to use fabricator B. Fabricator Bgot the slab and didn't want to work with it and when pushed proposed an outrageous fabrication cost.

So my son suggested using Fabricator C - the stone yard folks had recommended back in the beginning as someone who has fabricated the stone before and would be good at it. Fabricator C's quote was good and he could deliver on schedule so the slab was transferred to them.

Unfortunately the slab broke during the transfer. The slab yard had other slabs. It wasn't clear where the fault was but the slab yard provided a discount on the replacement slab and the GC and the two fabricators agreed to split the cost.

After a nervous wait - Was it a weakness in the slabs or mishandling that caused the crack? Would there be unacceptable chipping? - the new island counter top was fabricated and installed.

There was some edge chipping during fabrication but they blended the patches in very well. We have trouble seeing where they are even when they are pointed out.

Here is a bit of the installed stone (with the corner of the induction cooktop):
 photo IMG_1382_zps6c830757.jpg

o

Phew, that sounds dramatic, so glad it worked out in the end. It sure is neat looking, especially next to that sleek induction cooktop.

Thanks for the follow-up, especially since it's a happy ending!

o

Got a weird one! Over the weekend, I noticed what appeared to be an etched spot on my counter. I could feel it though, and I had heard that etched spots couldn't usually be felt. My sample had passed the etch test with flying colors and everything indicated that my stone is quartzite. I didn't freak out too much as I had already resigned myself that if I ended up with Marble I was going to allow it to patina gracefully and not be a psychotic maniac about babying it all the time. So I grumbled a bit and moved on. It is what it is and the etching could only be seen from a certain angle.
Last night we had a great big messy family dinner. After I cleaned up I got out the counter polish and gave it a good shine.
This morning, 'etch' is gone. I know where it was and I couldn't see it at all from any angle and I can't feel it anymore either. I have no idea what that was. The installers sprayed the counter with polish and polished it after install so maybe it was just the polish was removed by whatever got on the counters and it didn't actually do anything to the stone itself. Is that even possible?

o

Perhaps it was a spill of something relatively transparent that had dried on. Sometimes you can only see that sort of thing from an angle but you can feel it as a rough area. Glad to hear it cleaned away.

o

I was thinking the same thing as Cloud Swift. Either way, what a relief that it's not an etch!

o

Hello all. I have read through all the postings and really appreciate how much good solid information you all are sharing. Although I started out thinking granite or marble would be right for my kitchen remodel, now quartzite seems right for our family lifestyle.

I saw this beautiful slab called Lumen (picture attached") which I was told is "marble quartzite", and I've seen it referred to by the combined name online as well as seeing it called quartzite. The stone yard doesn't have samples for me to test. Does anyone know the true classification of this rock? Many thanks!

o

Well even though there really isn't such thing as 'marble quartzite,' at least this name does accurately reflect the confusion surrounding marble and quartzite. So on that basis, I like the name!

I suppose it's possible that of the two colored areas in the stone, one is quartzite and one is marble. But the only way to know is to test it, sorry. You probably knew I'd say that, since that's what I always say, right? :)

o

That beautiful swirly blue and white looks just like what we saw this weekend, which was priced and labeled as marble. But I really hope it isn't, because I love it!

o

Would love to get some insight regarding "Crystal Ice" -- was told it is a marble from Brazil. Unfortunately I didn't have a glass jar w/ me to do a scratch test. It's practically pure white with these crystalline structures in it, and larger facets reflect the light beautifully. Thinking about this for the bathroom counter top and shower wall. Some shampoos/toiletries may have citric acid in it (though one of the last ingredients).

Has anyone heard of this and/or have any experience with it? Is it truly a marble? or...

Christina222 - what is the name of your stone? It's beautiful!

o

That's beautiful ojai! My stone was labelled 'fantasy white' quartzite but the yard where I got it uses their own naming conventions. I've since found that the supplier where they got the slab called it 'iceberg quartzite', which matches slabs I've seen online.

o

My guess is it's marble. The mineral calcite has a subtle, telltale geometric pattern in it that I think is visible here. Goodness it's gorgeous though!

o

Karin (or any of you faithful countertop geology readers) any experience with or information about Cold Spring? White and cream background with sections of large, and sections of tiny, distinct brown/taupe (looks black in the photo) frost-like crystals. Testing a sample now.

o

And a close up.

o

Cool. That is pretty similar to a rock called 'graphic granite.' If you google that you'll see some other examples. Basically it's mostly feldspar - that's the white-ish colored mineral. And the little brownish bits inside the feldspar might be quartz.

The larger black sections look like biotite to me. That's a mica mineral, it forms in flakes and when seen end-on it's very flat.

Overall that rock falls into the granite family and should be fine as a countertop. The biotite can be a bit of a problem because of its flakeyness. It doesn't always take too well to polishing.

That's a cool one though! Made me reach way back into the depths of my geologic memory.:)

o

Alas, I shied away from the Crystal Ice but came across another lovely slab "Calcite Blue" (maybe the same as Iceberg Blue that Peke shared in Part 3 of this thread?). I'm thinking of this for our bathroom -- countertop & backsplash, tub deck, shower surround & bench. Any thoughts on how it might fare in those conditions?

I don't know how to upload multiple images, so here's 1 of 2.

o

Here's a close up of Calcite Blue!

o

Does anyone have any experience with Striato Apuano? It was sold to the stone yard as a quartzite, but I'm fairly certain it's a marble. I will get a sealed sample to play with but not for awhile. Anyone have any insight? Terrible for a kitchen island?

o

ojai - that's a lovely slab! I've seen something similar looking, in terms of the crystal formation, called Lorena White -- and unfortunately, the sample of that etched. However, for a bathroom, even if you get something etch-prone, that might not be a problem. I ended up using Super White quartzite (which is actually dolomitic marble) in my bathroom on the counters and backsplash, tub deck, and shower bench. We have had no problems at all with any staining or etching -- but we have been careful (making sure we don't spill saline solution on the counter, cleaning with marble-safe cleaners, etc). I would never go with anything marble-like in the kitchen (because we like things looking new), but it's worked for us in the bathrooms... Hope that helps!

o

Ojai, that slab is beautiful and looks very much like my iceberg quartzite. Can you get a sample to test it? Mine doesn't etch. It passed the etch test and has been in use since the beginning of May with no problems. We aren't careless but it's had various foods on it, including fruits, tomatoes, wine. No etching. I've found water doesn't show well on it so I've accidentally left water splashes on it for hours and no problem with that either.

o

Ojai, I'm pretty sure that's marble. One, the name 'calcite blue' is a pretty good giveaway since marble is made from calcite. Also, the geometric pattern of the crystals looks like calcite. As always, test it and you'll know for sure.

Laura, the Striato Apuano comes up as marble in a google search, so that'd be my bet as well. I love that crisp linear look though, super sleek!

o

LauraFaye - have you looked at Luce di Luna (also called White Macaubas)? It's very similar to the slab you posted and it seems that for many people on the GardenWeb forums, it has been a true quartzite and hasn't etched. I have the cross-cut version of Luce di Luna (so, same stone, but slab is cut vertically so that the veins are less linear) in my kitchen and it performs just like granite -- no staining or etching and very hard. Might be a good option for you...

o

Anj2000- I have heard of it, I fell in love with this slab when I saw it and they had no other quartzite that compared. I should call around and see if any of the other stone yards do have white macaubas. I'm crossing my fingers that perhaps this will pass the test once I get my sealed piece to play with.

o

I have really enjoyed reading much of this very long discussion.
I'm looking at a remnant piece of super-white quartzite for a bathroom vanity. I have not tested the sample yet, but the sample is from a different lot. The piece that I have on hold has a rust stain where we would cut out the sink. How likely is it for quartzite to stain? I previously had a bath vanity that was supposed to be granite, but it "etched" very easily with some bathroom cleaner, so want to avoid this type of mistake again. I read somewhere that some black granite is actually a lighter material that has been colored, which is why it etched - the color was actually bleached out, leaving the white rings. Even whitening toothpaste left white spots.
My kitchen granite from a later renovation has held up to everything so far, though.
If it turns out that my quartzite is actually dolomite, then I will just have some fun picking out a nice granite remnant, having been inspired by all the beautiful photos posted here. Or get a nice funky piece of soapstone.

o

Does this look like soapstone to you? This guy doesn't know anything about soapstone so I worry that it might even be identified incorrectly. When wet it looks almost black, and the veins are slightly greenish.

o

Joanmhe,

The rusty area on the stone is probably not a stain. It's more likely iron oxide (aka rust) that is naturally occurring from a little bit of iron in the rock. That said, some quartzites definitely stain, you'd want to seal it for sure.

There are problems that can happen with dark granites. Some are dyed, some are sealed when they shouldn't be and that causes problems. Honestly I don't quite understand it, but enough people have reported problems that it warrants care when selecting dark stones.

Stone yards have such fun collections of remnants so you will find something, no doubt!

Musicteacher, did you mean to post a photo? It sounds like soapstone. :)

o

What kind of problems do you find with stones that have been sealed that should not have been done? I have Blue Pearl and I forgot to say I didn't want it sealed and it was sealed. So far, it is okay, I guess.

Karen.Ohioi

o

Urgent question about fissures (?--they go through all slabs in the block, so I think this is what they're called?) that have been repaired: I have 3 slabs of Super White quartzite (passed the glass scratch test--thank you Karin!) from 3 different blocks at 2 different suppliers on hold till July 9. The most beautiful one, the whitest, has the most repairs; the next whitest one has fewer repairs, and the darkest one has no defects.

The salesperson says the risk is to the fabricator ( it's trickier to work with) and once the counter is installed, the counter is at no greater risk than one of stone with no defects. BTW, all the slabs have been treated with resin, which they say is standard practice.

My impulse is to go with beauty--i.e. the whitest, most "damaged" one, since the repairs don't bother me aesthetically, but if the health of the counter is at stake, I need to know. Can you savvy people please help??! (I've been lurking for ages, but just registered today, so I can ask this question :>)

o

Please forgive my multiple postings of the same question--as a newbie, I'm still learning how to post. However, I've read all 5 threads all the way through and am now a devoted groupie. Thanks for your patience!
--Serendipitydoo in a quarry quandary

o

Hi Serendipity, welcome.

True that a fractured rock places more burden on the fabrication, transportation and installation, none of which is your problem. I would watch out for cracks near the edges or corners, cracks on overhanging areas, and places where cracks may run parallel to edges. In those cases you might have a problem down the road. But if it's epoxied and supported from below, then it should be OK once its in place.

Super White is technically a 'breccia' meaning it's a rock that was all fractured while it was still far underground, and then those pieces fused back together. In some cases the material that did the fusing is quartz, which is good because it's nice and strong.

The only problem there is that those quartz bits can confuse the glass test, where some parts of the rock scratch glass and some don't. That's because most of the rock is marble and some parts have quartz. So be sure to try the etch test too, not just the glass test.

Karen Ohio, I just saw your question, sorry! If a rock is really dense the sealer can accumulate on the surface without soaking into the pores. I'm not sure exactly how this happens because the sealer should be wiped down and wiped off when its applied. But anyway, there are plenty of reports of a whitening or etched-looking effect from the sealer sitting on the surface.

Hope that helps!
Karin

o

Thanks Karin,

I don't see any of those problems yet, but I will watch for them. Maybe they wiped it on and wiped it off without it penetrating! That would be an effort in futility and money in their pocket.

Still love my Blue Pearl.

Karen.Ohio

o

Agreed Karen, but that's great that it's behaving nicely for you. Blue Pearl is a classic and a beauty. Enjoy it for a nice long time!

o

This is labeled Oceania quartzite but can't find much on this on internet and can't get a sample. Thinking of using this or Taj Mahal. Any ideas if quartzite and if called something else. Other stones all seem to be labeled with names I recognize.

o

Not sure what that one is, except for that it's one of many stones that could be either marble or quartzite. If you can't test it then I would not recommend buying it. That's just a huge leap of faith that seems like an unfair burden on the customer.

That said, even if it is a name you recognize, you'll still need to test it for sure. Too many variables and imposters out there to trust the name.

Good luck!

o

thank you, it is crazy that i am expected to pay thousands of dollars but cannot test product. i have been reading all the posts and i am so grateful for all your help.

o

Karin and others, thank you for your help with my question about cracks in SW. My fabricator warned me away from this slab, so now I'm looking for other white quartzite--SW, White Macaubus, White Extra, White Princess, Luce di Luna, and the bewildering array of other names that duplicate or contradict one another. Almost ready to settle for an engineered quartz--Cambria's Waterstone Torquay, but I've not yet given up the fight! Thanks again.

o

Oh my gosh, I've just read through all the rock threads. WHEW. karin and many others of you have been a fount of knowledge. Thank you!

I visited a slab yard in Anaheim the other day. I went in thinking that I wanted quartzite because of it's durability but secretly I wanted marble. I got a wonderful salesman, who happened to be the factory's manager in Italy. (He was in town because his wife had had a baby and they were visiting family.) He showed me the white macaubus quartzite he had in stock which was not very WHITE at all. The only other white looked like a super white or princess. i asked him about those slabs and he said although they are grouped here with the quartzite they're dolomitic marble and not as hard as quartzite. Wow! I was shocked that he was so knowledgable and forthright. I was expecting the worst after reading this thread. After that, he pointed me toward the marble section and we talked through all the options there. He showed me an 8 year old countertop (someone had returned b/c they were remodeling kitchen and needed a larger slab.) He showed me what the etching and patina and stains looked like. I decided they didn't diminish the beauty of the stone and I could get over it.

I found some beauties. My favorite is a type of carrara called Bianco Venetino, seen in the photo. My question is... within the marble spectrum, is there anything I need to know about the different varieties? Other than price and looks, what do I need to consider? Honed vs Polished? Leaning toward a 3" mitered edge. This is for my island which will be 10'x4'. The rest of kitchen will probably be Caesarstone Raven.

o

First off, congratulations for reading all 5 threads! For that, you get an honorary degree in Countertop Arts and Sciences.

Sounds like you are going into your marble decision with eyes wide open, so good for you. As you've already learned, dolomitic marbles are a little bit more resistant to etching compared to the pure calcite types. Honed vs polished is personal preference. Some people say honed shows less etching, some say the reverse.

Probably the most important thing is to test a sample of the actual rock - that will tell you more than anything.

Your slab is gorgeous - glad you are having a good experience with the shopping!

o

Have made it through all five posts (what incredible amount of information,) as I now am searching for a creamy colored countertop for my island. Not a fan of marble but granite is so spotty to me it's difficult to find something that has more gentle movement. Found this piece of Dolce Vita and will go back to do the test but wondered if you would encountered it before Karin? It doesn't seem to be much traffic on this "quartzite". Any thoughts?

o

Hi Annabelle,

That's a pretty one, but I'm not familiar with it. Just looking at it, it could be either quartzite or marble, can't tell from here. Let us know what the tests turn up, good luck!

Karin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here