Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenchaos_gw

Appliance Garage

kitchenchaos
16 years ago

I am thinking of putting a Kitchen Aid pro mixer in a appliance garage at the end of my counter. Just wondering if anybody has that set up and if they like it? I was thinking of putting it on a full extension pull out.

Comments (14)

• live_wire_oak
    16 years ago

Do you mean in a lower cabinet with an appliance lift or an actual on the counter appliance garage? Either way, watch your clearances for both. KA mixers are tall, and you'll need to make sure that either the lift you choose or the garage you plan for will actually work with the size mixer you have.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Could be a neat idea-

Is this a counter run with no uppers above?

How deep do you plan to have the appliance garage? I'm assuming your mixer is more than 12" deep (the depth of average uppers)

Keep in mind appliance lifts built into base cabinets are about 22" deep.

If shelf is full extension will it extend past counter? Is it strong enough to use as a working surface with mixer on it?

We had planned on a 42" wide appliance garage under 2 X 21" uppers, but as it didn't get delivered with order, and we've lived with that extra 3 1/2 feet of counter, we've decided we'd rather have the counter space. Turns out some of the appliances we would have put in there, are more than 12" deep so wouldn't have fit anyways.

• kitchenchaos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There are uppers above. Uppers are right now planned to be 12 " but I think I will make them 14" deep and 18 inches wide with 18" clearance to the counter. I was thinking I could put the mixer in sideways, so when I pull it out I can turn to use it. I will post a drawing in a little bit.

• kitchenchaos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is the layout: The garage on the right is where I am thinking of keeping the Mixer.
    Again dimensions: Height: 18", width 18" depth 14"
    I just looked on the KA website and its says the mixer is: 161/2 tall,12" wide, 15" deep. I think the mixer will fit in sideways, whick I think will be convienent to use anyway. I will include a diagram of the kitchen and picture of inspiration which I believe came from this website and I am sorry I forgot who posted it. I will make mine a full extension and I think have the door slide back into the cabinet.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• live_wire_oak
    16 years ago

The inside dimensions of an 18"H appliance garage are only about 16 1/2" to begin with (varies with type and cabinet company). Adding in that slide out will reduce the available height by another 2"-3" at least. You don't have enough room by far for this idea. KA mixers rarely fit into any type of appliance garages, which is why the pull up mixer stands became popular---or the appliance on the counter as art!

• kitchenchaos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok if I make the clearance from counter to cabinet 19" and use frameless like the picture above that woule make the useable space 18" if my math is right. Then if I can have a pull out made that was say 1" high, that would fit barely. I wonder if that is doable for the cabinet maker.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

You don't have 18" on the inside if your cabinet is 18", even with frameless, cuz the sides of the cupboard count. Those will be 1 1/2", so 16 1/2 on the inside, can't have your door swing inside (unless it was on top like a real garage door- but then you need all the height for the pull out mechanism- not sure if you can squeeze it into one inch). But, have you considered having the 'garage' the full counter depth and having cupboards above 24" deep? You could lose the inside cabinets on each side- saving money, and the counter space you'd lose you'd gain right back with the full extension shelf. Your KA mixer would face normally front to back and you'd work on it sideways from the counter side.

• peggross1
    16 years ago

FWIW, I needed a deeper appliance garage for my convection toaster oven and we designed it to be recessed in the wall. There will also be an outlet in there. Just a tip, if there is still time before ordering your cabinets.

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    16 years ago

I second Holligator regarding Julie7549's appliance garage. I too have a very tall kitchenaid mixer and have been considering something along this line when I do my kitchen. Most if not all of the regular appliance garages are way too small for my mixer. Because the mixer is also heavy, I don't want to have to move it too much or lift it from down below in order to use it. I was also concerned that an appliance lift would not be sturdy enough or have enough clearance for the mixer. Good solid counter to work on will be great.

• kitchenchaos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all for helping me think this through. I reworked the plan to Julie7549's layout. How does this look? It leaves only about 18" to both sides of range. This is not a prep area. I have an 11' island right behind the range where the prep would take place. Would the 18" be sufficient if its not the prep area? Also I am not sure having the KA inside the cabinet would work. The upper cabinet is 12" deep,the full depth of lower is 24" doesn;t look like I will be able to use the mixer there anyway :o( But do you like this look better anyway?
    {{!gwi}}

• kitchenchaos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is the original, still an option.
    {{!gwi}}

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Unfortunately,

Just extending the 12" uppers to the counter doesn't give you the storage space Julie has in a corner cupboard. I have a corner upper, and it's amazing how much space is in there. We nixed our appliance garage idea cuz the 12" just wasn't deep enough for many of our appliances- (we hadn't realized that when we first ordered it) , but our toaster oven wouldn't fit, so I do like the idea of borrowing wall space if possible to gain a few inches.

Can you show us a pic of the total layout, so we can see where your appliances can go, if not beside the stove? (I'm guessing you don't necessarily want them on the island?)

• kitchenchaos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kinda thought the KA wouldnt work in there, but when I layed this out I thought it had a possibility for function. I am short so the thought of reaching more shelves was a little appealing but I dont want to sacrafice looks either. These cabinets are extremely tall. They were 53 1/2" before I added the additional 18" to go down to the counter. The also sorta mimic the cabinets I have delegated for the China hutch. I will post that pic too.

We dont use the microwave often. Melting, popcorn, veges etc. I use the island for everything, seems like that is where I am most of the time. So I would rather give up the space next to the range. In my current island I have just about all my prep stuff there and it is very convienient. The island is 11' but its amazing how quickly that measurement gets used up. Sink, 24",24" dishwaher,15"waste, and then 2 stacks of drawers and there it went.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}