Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie7549

We are done!!

julie7549
16 years ago

Now, let's see if I can post pics!

Well, I'm having trouble with my photobucket stuff, can't resize for some reason. I have ton more pics at my blog:

www.julie7549.typepad.com

Here are the stats:

Cooktop: Dacor 6-burner

Ovens: Dacor

Microwave drawer: Dacor

Hood: Vent-A-Hood

Cabinetry: Omega Dynasty

Backsplash tile: Meredith Art Tile "Lattice"

Mural: Tiles by Mimi (custom)

Countertops: Caesarstone, Misty Carrera

Sink: Shaw 39" double-bowl

Prep sink: Shaw

Faucets & pot filler: Rohl

Dishwasher: Miele

Fridge: KitchenAid (recycled from our old kitchen)

We removed 2 interior walls and expanded into a side patio area, increasing our footage by 116'. Eliminating the walls allowed us to have an open kitchen/dining room rather than two separate rooms.

This forum was a wealth of information for me. I stayed up late into the night, on more than one occasion, doing research here, answering questions. I would have been lost without this place! Thank you!!

Comments (52)

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

Wow, really gorgeous kitchen, love the counters, thanks for the pics.

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

PERFECTION! Love the window over the sink. Your kitchen is a thing of beauty :)
    Monica

• reno_fan
    16 years ago

LOVE IT!!!! What a gorgeous kitchen. I'm so glad to see someone else did cream cabinets with cream tile. I was beginning to think I was crazy for doing something similar in my kitchen, but your kitchen reinforced how much I love the look.

Stunning!

• emmie9999
    16 years ago

How lovely! I love the red island against the creamy white cabinets. And the way everything is set up, it looks effortless to cook in.

By the way, is taht banana bread in the first pic? Are ya sharing? ::grin::

Emmie

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I have to ask, have you used your DACOR micro drawer yet and what do you think of it??

• pickles_ca
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!! I love the colour punches from the island and the mural behind your range. Enjoy your new kitchen!!!

• theresab1
    16 years ago

gorgeous! love the mural and the island. enjoy!

• zeebee
    16 years ago

GREAT job. I love white kitchens and yours is a standout. The red island, the tiles behind the cooktop and the pendants add perfect splashes of color.

Can you tell me where you got your pendants?

• rae_k
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy it! Is the floor new? If so can you give the details. It is exactly what I am hoping to use.

Thanks,
    Rae

• ksfaustin
    16 years ago

Wowza! I love everything about it! Wonderful, simply wonderful!

• lmhall2000
    16 years ago

Aw! I love what you wrote on the chalkboard! :) Hoping you get lots of hummingbirds at your feeder next year! :) I really love the lighting you in your upper cabinets, I love the basket weave backsplash, I love the color of your island, I love all the little extra special touches that make it comfy and homey! GRAND JOB!!!!

Now, you've got to share all your specs..what's that paint color? I've been trying to find a pale yellow for our girls bedroom...I really like your color! :)
    Tara

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Julie, that is truly a GRAND room! Beautiful creamy white cabs and a spectacular punch with the red island. Love your open arched niche. The misty carrara was a wonderful choice with all your different cabinets. I love the two hutches that flank your doors. There's so much detail in your design, and everything just flows. I do so love your cream tile backsplash.

• julie7549
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you!! Yes, we love our new space and it's very nice to work in, easy to manuever in.

Here are some more details:

Pumpkin bread on the counter (come on over!)

Cabinet pulls on white cabinets: basket weave 3", purchased from Hardwarehut.com

Wall paint: Benjamin Moore "Philadelphia Cream"

Flooring: new, oak, finished on-site

Microwave: works great! I don't cook much with it, use it for veggies, warming, popcorn but it's very user-friendly. Has sensor reheating ability but we've found that it over-heats using that. The popcorn sensor works great!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Very elegant! Not much else to say w/o gushing....OK I'll gush! Everything is put together so well! From the counters/backsplash/cabinets to the windows and hutches...it's a nice touch matching the curve in the window & hutches! I would not have thought red would go so well, but it looks wonderful!

• tucgran
    16 years ago

Beautiful! love the red and cream combination.

Could you please tell me the size of your prep sink?

• gopack
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful!! I love all the touches of color and the island is gorgeous. Just wondering what is behind the large cabinet doors that are in the corner?

Just love what you have done!!

• native_tx
    16 years ago

I love how you've used just a few simple elements - red cabs and light fixtures - to completely personalize your look. Gorgeous!

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

I love the placement of the TV - does it get hot? Now that I see your layout I realize the spot above the double ovens would be a perfect placement in my kitchen for the TV - too bad I didn't think of asking about doors that slide in to make that possible. Oh well too late now for me and happy for you :) I like that you kitchen has so much personality - its very fun. Good job

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Also love the arched window and the arched corner display up top - didn't notice it at first - there are a lot of details in the kitchen that really pull it all together. How long did you spend on planning everything?

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    16 years ago

I would also like to know about your pendant lights over the island. They are gorgeous. What brand are they?

• julie7549
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gopack: The large cabinet in the corner is our appliance "garage".

We purchased the pendants from a local lighting store. They are Kichler, item #65235, and can be seen on the Kichler website. I stressed over the lights, these were relatively inexpensive and I bought them thinking I would replace them when I found something I liked better (we had to have our lights installed before we could have final inspection). After getting them up I love them! They have all the colors of my mural and the red and amber beads bring out the colors of the walls and island. Plus I do a lot of gardening and I like the leaf effect on the pole. I'll be keeping them!

Mysterymachine: We've been working on this for a while. We did a whole house remodel. I began working with our architect in the fall of 2005, got our final plans last summer, found our GC, lined up the products we wanted and we began construction January 9. Long process but we are thrilled with all the final changes to our home!

I should have shown the tv door closed, a tv isn't real pretty. The doors do slide back for viewing and the tv swivels as well as pulls out for viewing in the various parts of the room. We've not had a problem with heat and I use the ovens a lot. We also put a sound system in the house so I can play the tv through the Bose system and the overhead speakers. Great for football!!

• jkinpv
    16 years ago

Love, love, love the backsplash! I have a photo of that same tile in my inspiration file. What a great kitchen!

• jenna_j
    16 years ago

ooh la la!!! beautiful!

We are planning to put a TV above our ovens as well. Do you know what size your tv is?

• cindylou2006
    16 years ago

Congratulations Julie! Your home looks so inviting and livable! I especially love your lights-they tie it all together. Yes, breathe- you're done!

• ainsley
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is wonderful. Shows so much careful thought and planning. And most important, it's warm and personal.

One question: we're doing the same TV set up you have---in a cabinet over double ovens. What model Dacors do you have? They look super!

Thanks, A

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I'm with everyone else, love the red! It's beautiful!

• cody07
    16 years ago

beautiful kitchen! and a great idea for your appliance garage.
    I love your window, it is what I am planning on doing also. I am so glad you posted the picture.
    I wonder if you could share with me who the manufacturer is and what size it is. I have 9' ceilings and I am trying to get an idea of how tall I should make mine.
    I am also planning on double cabinets. So I can get a perspective, how high is your ceiling and what are your cabinet heights?
    thanks for sharing.

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

Bravo! Enjoy!

• julie7549
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, I'll answer as best I can. Amazing how many things you forget as time goes by!

The prep sink is 15x15

The tv is 21" flatscreen

Dacor ovens ECD230SCH model number

The arched window is either a Marvin or Anderson, I don't remember (we are waiting on white hardware to come in). Something our contractor purchased. The cabinets are 48", exclusive of crown molding. Our ceilings are 9' (we raised them a foot during the remodel). Our base cabinets are almost 2" taller than standard as my husband, myself and kids are taller than average (if that helps with the scale).

• julie7549
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cody07 ~ Here is another window shot for you so you can get a better perspective. Hope yours turns out well!

• cody07
    16 years ago

Julie, Love it!!
    I just hope I can come up with window treatments. I am also thinking about a door with side lights with the arched top. I have been researching,planning and designing this kitchen/family room since January.
    It is somewhat reassuring to see that someone else has done what you are planning.
    thanks for posting the photo.

• susanilz5
    16 years ago

I love everything! It's all in the details and boy did you hit a home run. Especially love your pendants and island, what a nice touch. Now relax and enjoy your beautiful new space.

• susan209
    16 years ago

It's so obvious that you spent a lot of time with your decisions, your punches of color are in the right spots and you did such nice simple things like your lattice back splash and white sm. appliances, etc on the simple counter tops. Then 'POW' you put that red island in and it just gathers everything together. I love your white cabinets, sinks, applicances.....you kept it stunningly simple for everything else. P>S> I love the pendents, don't get rid of them, they are wonderful.

• suzyqt
    16 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning - so fresh and inviting! Enjoy!

• amck2
    16 years ago

I love your kitchen! The red island is really a nice pop of color, and yet the whole look is timeless. Love the arched window, too - actually love the whole sink area.
    Congratulations, enjoy!

• vickevette
    16 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. I love the colors. Pendants are so perfect with the red island! Love the backsplash also. You did a fantastic job!

• tonilynne
    16 years ago

Love it, love everything about it! I especially love your use of color!

• dianalo
    16 years ago

I think your kitchen is awesome! You have used many great details to personalize it and give it character as well as beauty. It is classic but not boring.
    I hope there is plenty of pumpkin bread because my stomach is rumbling ;)

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

I've been having the loveliest Sunday morning oohing and aahing over so many gorgeous kitchens posted here. Yours is delicious! I love how you have different cab styles on the perimeter and island, and like all these other sage souls, the color choices are exciting while not being jarring. It must be a terrific kitchen in which to work.

Happy baking!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

This kitchen needs to be added to the FKB! We don't want to lose it!

• angelcub
    16 years ago

I guess I missed this the first time around. So glad it turned up because it is gorgeous! Love the red island. Makes me want to paint mine red. : ) And I LOVE your backsplash and mural! The appliance garage looks like it will serve you well.

Great kitchen - great job! Enjoy!

• julie7549
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you! I have NO idea how to post to FKB! I did good, based on my limited computer skills, to post pics here!!

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Julie - just fill out the Category Checklist and I will post your gorgeous kitchen in the FKB!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen Category Checklist

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Julie--your cabinetry is Omega Dynasty...did the slide-in door over your DOs (w/the TV) come with the cabinetry or was it an after-market purchase? I asked for those but my KD was non-committal about them being available and then other issues came up and I forgot about it. If they came w/the cabinetry, I wonder if they can be ordered "separately"?

• tvalenti
    16 years ago

Hi,

I love your range hood - and have a similar layout and am having problem getting a range hood I like.

Curious is your range hood - Omega Dynasty as well? Is it 48" over a 36" rangetop?

Thanks!

• julie7549
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Both the tv doors & range hood were from Omega. Cooktop is 36".

• lynninnewmexico
    16 years ago

What a great kitchen, Julie! You must be thrilled to be back in there cooking every day. It's such a happy kitchen! I love the white cabs, the red island and the pops of red here and there (the pendants are perfect!). Although ours is just being finished now, and I truly love it, I'm having a serious case of envy seeing your great message center and your built-in hutches on either side of the patio doors. Love, love, love this kitchen!

• lily1342
    16 years ago

Every time I look at your pics, a little voice I'm trying to ignore keeps saying, "you should've gone with quartz countertops..." I just LOVE the look of your Caesarstone! Totally love your cabinets too. And the pendants are perfect over that beautiful island, absolutely a keeper. The arched casement window is awesome. You really have put together a fabulous, top-notch kitchen!!

• pinar
    16 years ago

Wow, that is a well designed kitchen. Thanks for bringing it up again. I hadn't seen it. It's so cool you have basketweave on the backsplash when what you see out the window is a trellis with the same pattern. Also, the lights work great in your kitchen, I wouldn't change them.

May I ask what the hardware is on your island? The bin pulls. Thanks so much!

• Buehl
    16 years ago

bumping for Lisapico...white kitchen w/dazzle!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths