Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Finally, my reveal

purrus
9 years ago

Hello everyone,

Our kitchen has been done for almost three months now--I can't believe it!! I relied on this board HEAVILY for advice and also for stopping me from making several very bad expensive decisions with regard to layout mistakes. I am seriously indebted to all of the posters here.

Here's the thread with before pictures and progress pictures. Before you look at the after pictures, really, you MUST look at the awful, truly hideous before pictures. I can't believe we live in the same house.

{{gwi:2136766}}

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0910470025760.html

Reveal in next post.

Comments (38)

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My yearned-for coffee area, all plates, mugs, glasses are located on this little area.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I can't believe that's the same house either! Wow, great job. You've gone from busy and cluttered to peaceful and zen.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not to mention moldy and environmentally hazardous to clean and safe for my one year old to explore!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Amazing transformation!!!!

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Wow! That's an amazing change! It looks so much bigger and brighter. Very nice. I really like your cabinets, pulls, counters, and all the drawers. Hope you are enjoying it!

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Really nice! Like how you took the tile all the way up by the window and the light fixture over the sink. Enjoy!

• User
    9 years ago

Very, very impressive transformation! I like your choice of lighting fixtures, rug and backsplash. That corner housing your MW/toaster oven & coffee appliances is a great use of space.

Congrats on your nice work & thanks for sharing with us!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Love what you did with your kitchen! I can't show DH or his nose will be out of joint as he will want his own coffee spot - but I see you do share with your toaster oven. LOL
    I love you color choices!
    Now on to KAW pictures!

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

What?! You got rid of those groovy cabinets? = )

Great transformation from dark, dingy, and claustrophobic to a kitchen that is light, bright and ever so much more functional! I remember your lay-out threads very well. Your kitchen came our great.

But you forgot to give us details and you know we want details. I think I chose the same faucet as you did but can't be sure.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Holy sh^*balls...you swear that is the same kitchen???? I can't believe that is the same house. What an awesome job!!!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Very lovely! I like your glossy white subways to the ceiling!

• rooandcheese
    9 years ago

Very nice! Love your color choices.

• nightowlrn
    9 years ago

What is behind the corner cabinets above and below the coffee station? Thanks. Wonderful transformation!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

That's beautiful--I'm another who wouldn't have believed it's the same space.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous new space.I had to go back and look at your previous thread to see your layout, demo and in progress pictures just to be sure you didn't put an addition on your house. It is amazing how spacious your kitchen is now. Love your countertop and your cabinet hardware. I am usually not a fan of subway tile backsplashes but in your kitchen it is perfect.
    Congratulationson a job well done.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We are enjoying it so much. For instance this activity would not have been possible in the nasty hovel thst we used to call a kitchen (we spent two hours "baking" today)!

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

For the person who asked what is behind the coffee station-- if I understand you correctly the answer is the same subway tile as elsewhere throughout the kitchen. If I misunderstood you please let me know!

Im not sure whether the original hideous floor made it into any pictures. It was truly disgusting original 1960s Lino that was grossly discolored in places (it was a cream-gray dirty looking color and the discoloration was either black or brick red depending on the area). We had unfinished oak installed and stained to match our existing hardwoods that were already throughout the house and we were so lucky that the installers did an amazing job. You really can't tell where the new floor begins at all.

• deedles
    9 years ago

How lovely and bright! I always like that tile to the ceiling and it looks great in your new kitchen. So pretty, enjoy!

• friedajune
    9 years ago

Stunning! Combines form and function perfectly. Your counters are lovely - what is the name of that stone? It's a beauty.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Wow, amazing! Love the clean lines of everything--very peaceful place (and that's hard to achieve in a kitchen, IMO). Congratulations and may you have many, many happy times there!

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

I LOVE the color of your cabinets! It's all lovely!

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stone is alaskan white Quartz. They had it at our kitchen designers showroom. I went to the stone yard to see a big slab (even though it's a composite material so supposedly the slabs aren't didferent they actually are) just to see a bigger sizes piece of it and fell in love. Also, one of the younger women working in the office who is the daughter of the ownwr had just chosen it for her kitchen, which gave me additional confidence since I figured she must really know countertops!

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

love your new kitchen - what a wonderful change! you'll be loving to cook in there.

I think the question on the coffee area was what are the cab doors on the sides of the cabs? upper and lower. what's behind them?

that'll be a wonderful pic of the baby to look back to.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

lovely, and congratulations.

I feel like your coffee maker is going to fall of the counter, though.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Upper angled cab contains stuff we use as condiments for meals--- pepper grinder, salt, small sugar bowl, honey, pepper flakes, garlic powder, etc.

Lower angled cab happens to fit cat food supplies PERFECTLY. thank goodness. When we no longer have to worry about gates the cat's food will be right there on the floor by that cab--all part of my plan. For now of course I have to put his food over the gate so the baby doesn't get into it.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And yes- it's a tight fit having our burr grinder, coffee maker, hot water kettle, and toaster oven all on that little piece of counter, but we often have either the grinder or the kettle pulled out in front and the coffee maker pushed further over to the right. Originally I wasn't sure the toaster oven would fit at all! I was thrilled when it worked out since I really wanted that area to be a snack area too.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I remember this in progress, and the result is much, much better than I could have imagined.

I just look at it and a relaxed "Aaaaahh" mumbles out of my mouth.

Congratulations on a wonderful space.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I remember this in progress, and the result is much, much better than I could have imagined.

I just look at it and a relaxed "Aaaaahh" mumbles out of my mouth.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Very nice. I too like the subway tile going to the ceiling.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

I just looked at it and a relaxed "Aaaaahh" mumbled out of my mouth.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Mon, Jan 19, 15 at 10:53

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I love a white kitchen and this one is lovely! I really like how the stone, wood floor, cabinets, and wall colours complement one another. The pulls add a lot of interest to the cabinets - nice choice.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone. The six weeks it took really seem like no big deal in hindsight. To anyone who thinks it seems undoable--- just plan plan plan. I set up a nice second kitchen in the basement ("nice " is most definitely a relative term---washing dishes in my concrete disgusting laundry tub was not "nice," but it was worth it). It all seems like a very short dream now and the old kitchen seems like a horrible mistake... Which is an accurate description, actually.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh and someone asked me about the faucet I yhink--- delta trinsic. To date I am smitten

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I adore my Delta Trinsic too!

• practigal
    9 years ago

Where did the extra space come from? Or is it just illusion? Gorgeous!

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Practigal, we made the wall between the old dining room and kitchen a half wall--old dr now breakfast nook. Old eat in kitchen is where range is now. We hadto remove a window, which worked out fine since removing that wall meant we would get all that light fromthe old dr windows (which, on advice from a neighbor, we went ahead and turned into a doorwall while we were at it).

• Elisabeth0326
    9 years ago

BEAUTIFUL JOB!!!!

I'm so excited for you! Your old kitchen is just as hideous as mine, and I'm mid-way through my reno. I hope mine looks even half as great as yours!

• steph2000
    9 years ago

Wow. This looks so great. It's amazing what opening up that wall into the dining room did for the space. I also like the tiled window wall.