Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hutchds_gw

kitchen sink not centered with window, issues with 24' sink base?

hutchds
13 years ago

We kitchen addition and are currently down to studs and need to order our cabinets as soon as possible. The plumbing and electrical roughs are in according to the current layout, but we are wrestling w/the sink as a sink base larger than 24" will make it offset from the window. The plan was to center on the right side of a double (30" each) window.

The current iteration has a 27" base and if we go w/this size, the sink itself will be right aligned w/the window casing, not the window itself. Is this a big issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is a 24" sink base really an issue? From what I have been reading it looks like this size base is typically used in small areas, apartments, etc. This is a new kitchen and good size - along the left wall the fridge/stove, along the right, pantry and cabinetry, and back wall, sink, dw, etc. as well as an island in the middle.

layout of back wall -

top: 60" double window, 18" cabinet, 18" cabinet, 38" door

bottom: 33" lazy susan, 27" sb, 24" dw, 15" drawer stack.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. If I can figure out how to include a image, I would also love any comments on the overall layout as we are coming down to the wire. Thanks for any help!

Comments (9)

• hutchds
    Original Author
    13 years ago

that's "issues with 24" sink base?"
    And "we are in the midst of a kitchen addition".. sorry about that - long time lurker, new to posting..

• kitellie49
    13 years ago

You can fit a nice 22"-23" single bowl sink in a 24" sink base. Large enough to soak a roasting pan! I see no problem with a 24" sink base. Going to 27" doesn't help all that much. There are few sinks available in the 24"-26" range. Too small for a double and for some reason, not readily available as a single. I have a 24" sink base in my otherwise medium-sized kitchen. It is fine!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

hi,

i'm kind of wondering whether you've thought about how big a sink you need or want, first. you mentioned that it's a good size kitchen, so maybe you'd want at least a "standard" size of 33". there are a lot more choices, too. single bowl vs. double is a whole other debate!

i'm getting a 24" sink, but i have a small kitchen.

also two other thoughts:

many people seem to center their sinks with regard to where the panes are in the window so they aren't looking right into one. sometimes they even place the sink faucet centered on the window, but off-center from the sink to make it look symmetrical. there are a lot of threads on this subject too. i'll look for the one i'm thinking of with good photos. or you can google "gardenweb kitchen window sink centered", or something like that.

the other is the 33" lazy susan. i was considering one of these, but someone mentioned the door is pretty small. if i understand your layout correctly, your corner cabinet is open on the back to a walkway. garenweb member buehl turned a regular cabinet backward to be accessed from the walkway side so you have full access to the cabinet.

that's pretty hard for me to explain, so i will link the thread. anyway, it's seems more useful than a corner susan if you can do it. then you will also have 9" extra to distribute to a sink base or the the far drawers.

good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to gain a full-use cabinet instead of corner cabinet

• ironcook
    13 years ago

btw, the previous thread that buehl wrote about is about her "pet center", but it still describes how to turn the cabinet, etc.

here's the link about centering the sink on a window, but there are many others. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: How much will 3'' affect centering a sink?

• hutchds
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did see buehl's kitchen which is beautiful, and the sink placement under the second window is what i was going for, until yesterday when our plumber and contractor suggested putting the sink in the corner instead. This would looks like it would solve the off-center issue - as even w/a 24" sb we will be about 1.5" off from the center of the 2nd window.

Please see the link attached, hopefully this will help.

I am torn. My husband really likes the corner sink idea, but I like the idea of more counter space between the stove and sink.

Also, any thoughts on the overall layout would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen layout

• hutchds
    Original Author
    13 years ago

also, as far as size of sink - currently our sink has an interior width of 21" which has been good - that is why i thought a 24" sb would be fine - i do want a good size single bowl sink.

i guess i just like the idea of the sb and the size of sink being similar since i do not foresee using the sb cabinet for much. If we do a corner 42" sb, i would get a larger sink for this reason, but don't necessarily need it.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Here's a nice corner sink...just make sure to leave a space (small cabinet?) between the sink and the dishwasher. This is important, so the dishwasher doesn't open on top of you, when you're standing at the sink. Best of luck with your layout :)

{{gwi:1580532}}

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

There are many kitchens with off center sinks by a window
    that look lovely. I posted some images of sinks that are
    not center ( a few links too) to the window behind or
    even the casing behind them. Some people put the faucet on
    an angle or use a built in running board for the sink area
    to dry dishes etc.. This will draw the eye away.
    Whatever you do go with I am certain you will find a way to
    make it look great. Hope these ideas help.
    ~ boxer

Garden Web kitchen
    by PCJS . This is what she did.

Carmel Kitchen Sink

Mouffetard blog

VT Slate Co.

Kitchen Sink

Garden Web
    JGarner's beautiful kitchen sink

Another garden web sink

Bonafide Farm

Centering sink under window.... or not?
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1011374226962.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Help! Should my sink be centered under the window?

• hutchds
    Original Author
    13 years ago

AUGH - another possibility would be to ditch the lazy susan and center the sink under the window in a larger sink base, although the sink size would probably remain the same - since the glass portion of the window is about 25". Then we would just resign ourselves to having a blind corner and the same size sink we currently do (21" interior) which I find sufficient.

I guess the 42" corner sb would allow a larger sink which might be nice, although not having ever had one I guess I wouldn't miss it.

The corner option would decrease counter space between the stove and sink, but allow for a larger sink; centering on the back wall would create a blind corner.. not sure what is the best option..