Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shoshannah

Help! Should my sink be centered under the window?

shoshannah
14 years ago

I am down to the wire. I have to let the cabinet guy know today! The way my layout is now, the sink is not centered under the window. I suppose I can use some post-remodel design tricks to lessen the visual impact of that, but I am not sure what.

The alternative is this: I can choose a design in which the window is centered -- BUT, the down side would be that 1) the stainless steel range and d/w would be side by side (albeit partially obscured by the island in front of them), and 2) I would have less counter space between the range and sink (about 27" vs. 36"). FWIW, I will have a 6' x 3' island for work space as well.

What would you do?? Thanks!

Comments (10)

• riverspots
    14 years ago

It would gnaw at me if the sink wasn't centered under the window. My wall oven is next to my dishwasher and looks fine-there is a 2 inch wood spacer between them. My sink is next to my dishwasher with counter and drawers on the other side and a fridge beyond the drawers. I have a 10' x 3' island with cooktop across from my wall oven and sink and use that almost exclusively for work space since I have a coffee maker on the counter above the dishwasher.

• shoshannah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Two different opinions! I vacillate between the two. Regarding the amount of counter space . . . I won't be losing any counter space in total. If the sink is centered under the window, the cabinet run to the right of the sink will be reduced by 9" and added to the cabinet run to the left of the sink.

• clg7067
    14 years ago

It depends on how you feel. I wouldn't care if it wasn't centered, but you might.

You need to go with your gut.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I do have a nice view from my kitchen window so I can look out at the water while at the sink. I think you would notice centered/off centered more during the day when the light from outside is coming in. If you're in the kitchen mostly in the evenings, off center will be less noticeable.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I'd have to see it to see how it would "fit" in w/the rest of the design. What else is around it? Do you have upper cabinets or is the wall w/the windows empty? Is it a "corner" or a straight run? Do you have a layout?

I know you didn't ask, but....

I do have a concern about the DW & range placement...is the DW between the range & sink? If so, do you have a prep sink elsewhere close to the range? If the only sink you have is the one you're asking about, I would seriously think about putting the DW on the other side of the sink. It's not a good design idea to put something like a DW b/w the range & the water source b/c if the DW is open it blocks access to the sink from the range...not only does it present an obstacle for prepping but also for cooking. For example, if you need to dump boiling pasta water, you don't want the DW to be in your way. The fact that you have an island further compounds the problem b/c that means you have limited aisle width.

If, however, you have a prep sink (say, in the island across from the range), then this probably won't be an issue.

• elizpiz
    14 years ago

How do you work currently? Is having less space as you described above on that side of the kitchen (between range and sink) going to be problematic? There was an interesting thread a while ago that talked about our tendenecy to work next to a sink, even though we might have ample counter space elsewhere in the kitchen.

Because I know it helps to visualise, here are two shots of our kitchen sink. Neither shot is "straight on" but you do get a sense of placement and arrangement under the window.

I do agree with clg7067 - if you are not "losing" the space (sorry, didn't read your post properly the first time!), then you have to go with what will be pleasing, as well as functional. I'm sorry I can't comment on the proximity of range and d/w.

Eliz

• rosie
    14 years ago

Even though I have a real fondness for symmetry, I'd definitely choose to set the sink for function. Even with the current trend to play up "beautiful" sinks and oversize faucets, it's not a normally a dominant feature compared to others (my eye always keeps moving on to something more interesting or attractive, or just visually obstructive); and as you say, you can design to minimize its visual impact. People with off-center sinks on many other conversations on this subject almost always say they're happy with it and would do it again.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I also would choose form over function. The last two kitchens I did have off-center sinks simply because centering it would have made the cabinet layout strange on one side. I will add though, there was not an arrangement of upper cabinets centered on the window either.

• shoshannah
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your input! Buehl, I thought long and hard about having the d/w and gas range next to each other (with a 1.5" filler/barrier). Actually, it's what I have now because the house came that way, and it's never been an issue. Even with the island in front of the d/w and range, with a 42" aisle, I think it will be okay for my family. I can't think of a time when I'd be cooking and have the dishwasher door open at the same time. Besides, there's another aisle -- which is the primary passageway in, out, and throughout the kitchen -- on the other side of the island. I know it's hard to picture, but I really (embarassingly) do not know how to scan in the layout that I have! I will have to teach myself on another day when I am not so pressured to post a layout.

Anyway, close of business has come, and I chose the sink to be centered with the window. So . . . this is how it goes: The total length of the wall is 164.5 inches. There is a 79.5" empty space in the middle of the wall that runs from the end of an upper cabinet on the left to the beginning of the range hood on the right. By "empty space" I mean that there will be no upper cabs there. Anyway, I have now finalized the plan so that the center of the sink is centered in that 79.5" space. I'll buy a window that will be centered over the faucet -- maybe a 60" window. That will leave 9.75" of space on each side of the window, enough for a five-inch trim and 4.75" of wall left over.

BTW, I wouldn't mind if the sink had not been centered on the WALL -- I just minded that it wouldn't have been centered with the window. It looked really weird in the picture, kind of like the room was tilted. Anyway, I hope it all looks good AND functions well when it's finished!