Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solman_gw

Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XV111!

solman
13 years ago

I guess we're over here now!

Feliz Cinco de Mayo a todos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Part XV11 of this thread.

Comments (149)

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jet Blue, but then the planes are longer than 10".
    The new Macbook smallest version is 12" so that's not it.
    Hmmm

Well done Steff.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

That's a nice gift to yourself. You get major points for resisting the early adopter urge for the iPad.

Nice butterfly too.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What are we talking about?
    Not your new macbook?

Oh so close she was.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff-You like it huh? It's cute and cheap and the only way to have a small Mac that will let me use my Accounting program. Of course it doesn't hold a candle to the screen quality and fun of the iPad.

Maybe Plllog will feel sorry for me and let me still get the iPad for fun and this MacBook SOL for work. But then the hassle of traveling with 2 devices :(

Now what?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not a medical professional but for what it's worth, even back a few weeks before the initial (WiFi) iPad release, I read an article where someone had done a poll of doctors and something like 70-something percent were considering getting iPads and around 30% were already convinced they were going to be buying iPads. Mind you, this is before it was even released.

Then there was an article I saw much more recently where some hospital (California maybe?) was going to be buying iPads for all of the doctors on their entire staff.

So clearly there is something about the iPad that has gotten the medical community interested. What exactly that "something" is, I don't know. Whether you can get that "something" on an iPhone as easily as an iPad, I don't know.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

A small screen like the iPhone would less reliable when dealing with medical issues. You want the doctor to be as accurate as possible and not have any problem reading or entering information.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff- BTW glad you liked the Butterfly shot. I had just recently read that currently in Central Texas there is a lot of butterflies. I really love them and the Monarchs usually show up in my garden in about June-July. Poor guys, amazing that they can fly all the way from Mexico to Canada-FREE!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

We live in a migration corridor for both butterflies and birds. I haven't seen that many yet this year compared to other years. It's been a cool spring and the plants they like are slow to grow. California also has a great monarch migration. They estimate that billions of butterflies pass through the city each year. There are organizations of volunteers who document sightings to keep track.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Yes, we have protected groves for the monarchs. When they're there you can't see the trees for the butterflies.

Solly, I'm glad you're happy with your new toy. I didn't even know they made knockoff macbooks.

Re medical use of ipads, there are a huge slew of apps for med students and doctors that had already saturated. I think some gizmo freaks are looking at central electronic charting and similar kinds of cost cutting. They're going to have to really improve the safeguards to make it a good idea though. It's way too easy to type the wrong thing into a computer, especially one which guesses your meaning.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't even know they made knockoff MacBooks.

No SILLY! They don't make knockoff Macbooks, I made the hacked MacBook.

Hence the name Hackintosh- MacBook SOL. That's why I was like a silent mouse last week, because the Hack operation drained all my spare time. Actually I couldn't even come out to play because all the computers were tied up in data transfer :;;;;;; SIGH.

I must say I'm quite tickled by the whole operation in creating my own computer, 100% legally! I bought the Snow Leopard OSX operating system and installed it on my "own" computer. My first shot in the world of computer hacking. This Dell Netbook naturally came with that thing called, Windows, and it meant wiping that out and reformatting the codes to accept Mac OSX.

Now as a Mac guy, we always cherish both the quality and reliability of Apple Hardware/software. When I got the first Dell, it worked for 4 hours and then DEAD. So, I took it back and got a replacement. But what a story, the first ever "PC Windows" product that I ever purchased in my lifetime was a dud. Further instilling why I will always be a Mac guy. For the record, I have never owned or used a Windows PC (outside of Internet Cafes) in my lifetime!

Yes this was fun, but I actually and truly did need a Mini Travel solution for my business. The 13" Macbook is $1,000. This is a steal @$250! I just pray that it doesn't die like a dud as it seems that "PC's" are not made to anywhere near the quality of Apple. Maybe that's also why they're cheaper.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Solly, I'm glad you're happy with your new toy.

But it's only fair;;;;; SNIFF SNIFF. You got your new Le Creusets, Missy got her Cherries, and Steff got her cool new shower, so I felt left out!

• plllog
    13 years ago

I say I'm happy for you and you get all whiny?

All becomes clear now. I couldn't understand why you bought the macbook so long ago but were just debuting it. The clouds part and the light dawns. Don't call it SOL, though. That's probably what made the first housing cock up its toes and die. "Sol" would be okay, as in costa del, but not "SOL"--look it up. I just thought it was an Air because I thought that was what you needed. I don't understand why that one wouldn't run both your operating system and your accounting software. Why did you need to buy a Dell?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL!! "Cock up it's toes and die" Hilarious indeed.

Yes I love the Air but it's big bucks $$ and I know you'll never let me get it when you see the price tag. And yes the Air would run everything.

I bought the Dell because it was el cheapo and seemed like a neat challenge to hack something.

It's still good since I can leave the Dell Hackintosh to a worker (who certainly doesn't deserve an Air or MacBook Pro) that is managing the biz while we're all in France with Steff and Missy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plllog's Getting Me The Air For My Treat!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Amy.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Little Message

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh!! Okay, I get it. The problem with travelling with a 3 lb. computer is that it walks away so easily. I used to travel with a first generation notebook, and it was a mess of wires what with the equal sized cd drive with speakers (a truly wonderful peripheral in its day), the wee printer or the less wee ink jet printer, the hand scanner, etc. That setup was truly excellent but not tempting to thieves.

And the fun new toy thing makes sense too. Just with all the teasing I just figured it had to be a sleek new Air.

Amy? In the morning? The oatmeal is too sweet...

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Strippers just arrived! What will the neighbors say about all this Erotica?

Steff-I hope you have a good progress day with the Bathroom? Have you picked out the actual shower yet?

Plllog-I'll have you know that's 4 places I've been to all over LA today for your Yellow Raspberries. ;;;;Sheeze

• plllog
    13 years ago

Well, if you'd started at Gelson's....

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

NOW you tell me?

How's LA and S.A. today? It's frigid here!

My Stripper just asked me if I had some extra clothing. It's that cold. MMAY. Brrr.

Don't laugh,

Missy had snow
    Just a week ago

• steff_1
    13 years ago

• plllog
    13 years ago

Steff? Is that the hole in your shower with tape over it? Otherwise, what?

Solman, I never laugh about cold. We have "May Gray". Not cold though chillier than the temperature would make you think. Just dismal.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff-I'm stumped. What is it?

• steff_1
    13 years ago

I see I need to find a better background.

That's a mosaic tile with paper on the back. It's interlocking strips of tile similar to a ledger stone only in ceramic.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

May Gray? Last year Canada had an entire dismal Summer.

I really hope not for an encore.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

May Gray? Sorry to hear that. Maybe it's a Continent wide disease.

Last year Canada's entire Summer was dismal.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Sol, was this some new kind of repeating poetry?

Steff, I think it's nice looking, but isn't it kind of dark? Are you sure you want tile that can be mistaken for gaffer's tape?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

May Gray? Sorry to hear that. Maybe it's a Continent wide disease.

Last year Canada's entire Summer was dismal.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh- The submit button kept saying server error.

But yeah, could be the new writing style of this decade.

Repeating Poetry.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

With special photo coming up in moments.

Hint.... Sweet!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

During the past few days I had literally a thousand bees swarming in and out of a huge tree on my front lawn. The City looked at it yesterday confirming the nest of Honey Bees.

So today, I was surprised to see them on a low bush, on the ground, close by to the tree. My worker concluded that due to the frigid temps, they are all huddled together to keep warm and stay away from the cold winds that would be higher in the tree. That is so sweet. Nature really teaches us so much about behavior, respect, unifying etc. And to actually witness over 1,000 individual souls all working toward a common goal is so touching. Man must learn from such an example.

The story gets better! Upon discovering the bees this afternoon, my grumpy, cynical, bigoted, 80 year neighbor came out with some bug killing poison and approached the bush. Suddenly he was greeted by both mine and my worker's angry Robert De Nero stares, not to even THINK of killing these innocent loving souls. He retreated wisely and enabled this lovely photo.

It may not look like many but they are about 10 layers deep. I feel sorry for the guys on the first layer :)

Enjoy!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

So this is how I spend my Saturday night? Here's a better picture.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Really beautiful! Amazing to see that many bees outside a hive and in your own front yard too. Very impressive photo.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff the stone has nice varying tones. I like it. Good varying of grout lines and sizes like Plllog did.

• plllog
    13 years ago

MUCH better picture Steff. Very pretty. Doesn't look like gaffer's tape at all, does it? :) Is that for the shower?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh, yeah. Great picture, Sol.

'Course, bees have a hive mentality. They're not really individuals as you state it. But it's a great picture. And a great thing that you were able to save them from the poisoner.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Those tiles will be either

(a) entirely on one wall of the shower

or

(b) a wide accent around all the shower walls.

I need to see what else is out there for the floor and other walls. Those were on sale so don't have enough to do the whole shower. I'm thinking a large oblong tile set on the vertical would work. Tile is definitely one advantage of living here. Plenty of options so you can mix it up a bit.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oooh! These would look great as vertical accent stripes with your vertical oblongs! If you space them irregularly you could get a forest shadow effect.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

That's a good idea, plllog. The tiles are just cut tiles on a mosaic backing so I already planned on taking them apart and mixing with pieces cut from the (tbd) field tiles and even other similar tiles. I'm considering flat pebble or broken tile mosaic for the floor.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Outside examining the bees. Today they're happy and warm from the sun but they're still on the bush by the ground. I'm so fascinated by them. I'd like to start naming them before I tame them.

Plllog, do you think they'd let us take them on the plane to France?

Steff-you've got a good eye for design stuff.

• plllog
    13 years ago

No. There are very strict laws about the transport of insects.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Thanks, Solly. Design is what I do, but it's nice to hear a compliment any time.

No beez pleez.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff- My dream shower floor is real pebble stone. It was in one of my Hotel bathrooms in Asia and because of it, I checked into that Hotel!

PLEASE do the pebble floor. It's stunning and so connecting to nature.

I'm crying that this does not fit my neo angle shower otherwise I would order it immediately! My shower is 30 x 30 x 20 inches :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Look At This!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff, Plllog- If I can milk these cute buggers in the tree for 227,500 bottles of Honey, the French Chateau would be paid for-mortgage free!

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK just took this shot moments ago in my T-shirt while I had quite the swarm around me. They were rather curious why I was poking so close to the bush. But last night, they didn't make a peep when I was in front of them. They were too cold to be inquisitive.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Say, I think Missy will be dropping by any moment now with a nice photo of some cute Cherries for us.

Missy?

• steff_1
    13 years ago

The pebble floor is the current front runner. DH likes the idea, but wants to test them before making the commitment. We'll also install a pebble tile mat in the floor outside the shower.

Is the problem that the mat is too small? I've seen them and they are pretty flexible so they could be cut to fit.

Another amazing bee photo and very brave. As long as you don't seem a threat to them you're okay. Please call a beekeeper to harvest the honey.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Steff I REALLY want that mat. Now do you think it could really be cut? Even with all those stones glued to it?

The Link is an example of the shape and dimensions of my shower. At one point I thought about a Teak shower base and then pebbles on top of the teak. But pebbles have always been my goal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neo Angle example

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Solly, you linked to the teak shower base site. Those are nice too. Did you want to show the Neo Angle shower with dimensions? I like the teak wood bases and could do that for the guest room which we are now using as our main shower. The little shower seat is really nice and I might add something like that when we redo our shower.

For the mat, you might have to cut around the stones and rework it somewhat. That one may not be intended to use inside the shower anyway. The mat I saw, the stones were glued on and easy to remove and move around.

You could get bathtub mats and add the pebbles from a beach vacation or tile shop. We'd have to research the glue to see what works.

• plllog
    13 years ago

You can get the pebbles on 12"x12" mesh (meant for grouting), where you're meant to pull the edge ones off and reposition them to make a tight fit. You could make your own mat.

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah. In fact I saw one of these pebbled mats, glued pebbles to rubber, at Marshall's a few weeks ago and almost bought it but it had some stones missing and it discouraged me.

What do you like better- glued pebbles on rubber vs the Teak insert?

• solman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah. In fact I saw one of these pebbled mats, glued pebbles to rubber, at Marshall's a few weeks ago and almost bought it but it had some stones missing and it discouraged me.

What do you like better- glued pebbles on rubber vs the Teak insert?