Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XV11!

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 4:01

Oh Limit Schlimit!

My time flies when you're having a ball!

I mean if there were that many King Louis's then who's to say there can't be that many Mexican Kitchen's?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link To Part XV1 of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Good Karma

Well look at this, we just got a message from our Monaco neighbour:

"I am proud You published my photos on the garden-blog. But I thought You would pay more attention to the car more in harmony with Your inner soul, the "KARMA" ! "

Greetings from
Carl

DSC_0097

DSC_0090

OMG, the entire roof is glass!

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part XV11!

The entire roof is a solar array.

Very nice, at least it doesn't look like a toaster or other appliance. The lithium ion batteries could be a concern if the built in safety features fail.

o

Oh, yes, Solly, let's scatter American solar sports cars across the Cte d'Azur!! And the four doors are nice too for the groceries.

And with the price savings on the Bugatti, you can have your little pied--terre in Big Brot... I mean, Monaco, without stinting on finishing the third floor of the chteau in Aquitaine. I know it's a bit big, but you have to take them as they come, and we need all those bedrooms for Steff and her honey, Missy and the biker, Marthavila, MV's sister, all the kids, and still have a guest room or two if Tex and Angela come a-visitin'.

o

Ooooooooooooh now I get the Aquitaine Chateau thing. Women are just so rational. We need comfort for the guests. And comfort they will get!

Missy did say her and DH wanted to start traveling some more and you can hardly call our Alaskan weekend RV splash- travel. In fact, I think we'll make a special Bike Pod just for them.

Tex is sure to enjoy the natural estate setting. M.V. and the gang will be whoopin with laughter and Angela is gonna love the change of scenery.

I just hope I can finish the Third Floor in time!

o
Be Green With Envy-Ad.

Oh, yes, Solly, let's scatter American solar sports cars across the Cte d'Azur!! And the four doors are nice too for the groceries.

OMG, I thought I was twilighting in France but you've got me sprouting a whole new Empire. I guess it's tough for Men to escape the whole gender role thing. But yeah, I like it. These Euro boys need some proper American culture. A nice exclusive Distributorship means our guests can have those sheets on all their beds too.

Karma Cote D'Azur

I could just see you on the phone now:

"Bonjour..... this is Mademoiselle Plllog. We need 24 King sheet sets delivered to Chateau Aquitaine please."

----OK That will be 58,000 Euros., Merci Madame!

o

Plllog quick, get that Real Estate agent of ours on the phone and ask for a Summer closing on our Chateau. If all goes well, maybe the Euro will be at par with our pathetic US Dollar.

Greece, we LOVE you. Really, there is nothing like your Yoghurt.

Plllog-Stef, you don't think..... we need a cottage on Santorini do you? Definitely a buyers market :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Santorini

o
Santorini Weekend Getaway

More-Santorini-images

o

Oooooh, that blue! Those pictures say this is the perfect spot to relax. The goat is adorable.

Monaco, the Aquataine Chateau sound lovely, but the Santorini cottage says relaxation. The Karma would run forever in all that sunshine. Who needs room for groceries when there's fruit and yogurt and great food just around the corner?

Is now the time for a Greek vacation?

o

No no Missy, don't even think of it.

Your bikes stay.... in Aquataine.

o
Whoops.

Oh Oh Stef, I hope I'm not gonna get it for not staying focused from... you know.

Think inner peace- Karma- Monaco-Aquataine. Deep breath in.

o
Frost Warning!!

That's it Plllog. Enough is enough. Please call our Agent, Angelique, and tell her OK we'll close now.

This is insane it's almost May and it's 4C!!! with a severe frost warning tonight :(

No wonder we're all revved up for the Cote D'Azur.

o

Brrrrr! It's cool here, but very nice and not nearly as cold as TO.

It's actually the time of year to stay here and plan an escape for August. We've been dining out (on the deck) for weeks now. Cool breeze, low humidity and just beautiful.

o

Oh, no! Sol, I was thinking about where would be a nice castle and culture for gracious living. If you want heat it's going to have to be Santorini. Which is fine with me, but I want my own donkey.

o

I agree, islands are a hassle.

And how would our poor guests like Missy ride their bikes up a cliff in Santorini.

Plus I've already had the lumber delivered for my 3rd floor project.

o
Fun Fun

Say now that we're in France, we can polish off your Le Crueset collection with all the ones you lusted for. And yes you can still bring you're favorite little Red saucier from LA.

No Donkey Plllog, Horsie! Two cute little White Horsies.

We can go to the Horse show this weekend and pick them out.

o

No, no, no! Donkeys for Santorini. Horses would be miserable. How could I do that to them? But I wouldn't mind a white one. White donkeys are very cute. But a sweet tempered one would be best.

^.^

o

Awww :-) that's so sweet,

Plllog oh sorry I got all confused. I was thinking the White Horsies for the Chateau in France but agree Santorini needs the Donkey(s). Missy - nothing wrong with a different kind of ride is there?.

I can't wait to get that Black volcanic sand between my toes.

o

Um...don't you think a barouche with a team of white horses is a bit...pretentious? It's bad enough being North Americans moving en masse into an historical monument and lording it over the countryside--we don't want the neighbors to think we're nuts, too!! If you want to impress them, whizz around in your glass roofed solar car in "quiet mode" and tell them this is how we do things in California. :)

(Yeah, isn't that the cutest donkey, ever?)

o

Interesting how we all have different ideas of luxury.

Subject changer here. This morning we received a portable induction unit we had ordered and used it for lunch to make quesadillas. It worked even better than expected. Only took a few seconds to heat up the grill pan and then mere moments later we had perfectly melted cheese between crispy tortillas while the kitchen (and the cook) remained cool. Trying to accomplish this simple task on my gas cooktop has been nearly impossible because turning up the burners meant only that more heat escaped around the pan. Still need to give it the "simmer test" because that's my biggest problem now.

I know this isn't big news to you induction fans, but thanks for listening anyway.

o

Oh, well, Steff, if we're talking about luxury, I'd rather have a modern building with central heat, preferably under floor. Not as romantic, but a lot comfier.

LOL! Welcome, Steff, to the realm of induction fans!! If the portable's simmer isn't up to your standard, go to showrooms and play with their demo units. There are some excellent simmers out there!

o

YES! Stef you did it. Congratulations.

We are now officially inductionized! Ummm well I guess s....lly technically isn't there yet.

Just think Stef, should you decide to do the full 30 inch cooktop, how neat that'll be. I too look forward to the perfect simmer one day... soon.

That reminds me, now would be the absolute best time, if any, to pull the trigger on the AEG.

Plllog, I hope you'll let us have induction at the Chateau.

GULP;;;; Wonder what the heating bills will be like.

o
RE: Colorful American Phone Part 4

iphone4ghdfinalbykalevg

o
RE: Colorful American Phones Part 5!

4560935604_02af363201_o-1

o

Steff- I just remembered, you are now officially an Inductionista.

Not to be confused with some Milano fashionista with extended cat's eye mascara and purple rouge cheeks.

o

Definitely too practical to be a fashionista.

No heating bills in the castle unless you count the firewood and the help required to keep the fires burning.

Are you telling us you ordered a new iPhone, Solly? Apple filed a police report on the missing phone after it was returned and the Gizmodo guy had his house searched and computers seized. Not good on Apple's part because the guy who found the phone says he tried to return it before offering it to Gizmodo.

The portable induction unit was a great idea as a test. Instead of Slow Food, this is the Slow Kitchen. Taking our time to get it right. The current kitchen is quite nice and functional, just needs an update and some personal touches.

o
Who You Calling Stupid?

In fact, contrary to common belief, Donkey's are very intelligent animals, hard working but they can be stubborn. Very stubborn!...

"Donkey is a nickname for the ass, used in all parts of the world. The small gray donkey of northern Africa was the progenitor of the Spanish burro, which accompanied the conquistadors to Mexico and South America, and later played such an important role in the settlement of the West.

Donkeys are complex creatures, capable of many moods. They can be friendly, affectionate, independent, patient, and even sad, and there is no questioning their intelligence. But when a donkey would rather not do something, it can be the laziest and most stubborn creature in the world"

4562713165_85c567306a_b

o
Plllog's New Baby

Further to above, I picked him up for you today.

Hope you like him. BTW What's his name?

o
Present For Steff!

Steff I got this guy for you. He's one of the locals and I figured a little Canadiana wouldn't hurt. Plus he was looking for a little change of scenery anyways.

original

o

A Canada Goose for me? Why thank you Solly. We don't see them here much, but there were lots of them in New England. He may get a bit uncomfortable here this time of year as we are predicted to hit 100oF/38oC by next week.

Donkey names? Burrito or the ever popular Eeyore. Not creative enough? I've attached a link for other options. Who thinks of these things?

Here is a link that might be useful: 2002 Donkey names

o

Stef- he just jumped into my lap when you said 100 degrees! I'll keep stroking him to calm him down.

Say what do you think about an oceanside Cottage in New England for him? He might even have relatives at Martha's Vineyard.

The things we do for love!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Things We Do For Love

o
RE: Colorful American Phones Part XV11!

SIGH;;;; Stef

Pllog's still not back from the Mall. I already told her the iPhones were just prototypes and she can't have one until June 8.

Well, you don't think... she's at the bar? You know the same German bar waiting for the same Apple Geek - to hand it over.

o

I wasn't at the mall. It was the south bay. And you got the wrong donkey. I asked for a sweet tempered white one like in the picture I linked!! (Never said donkeys weren't smart. They can just be very cranky. They're much better suited to hills than horses. Though I suppose you could have a mule--then you'd have half and half!) Sheesh!! Just like a man. He says he's giving you a present, and just presents the ass end of an ass!!

o

I don't suppose a Loon would be any happier here this week. So much for outdoor activities.

The German bar is a bit of a trek from LA. They do have to put the Apple store in the mall. At least our mall is outdoors and has incredible landscaping with Carlos Cortes benches.

The police took the Gizmodo guy's credit card bills along with his computers. Lot of negatives on Apple right now.

o

The police took the Gizmodo guy's credit card bills along with his computers. Lot of negatives on Apple right now.

Stef- What a bunch of big bullies. And I thought Apples were sweet.

o
Present For Steff!

Oh Oh Steff- I think I need you, fast. A bit of a domestic dispute ya see. Umm I got the wrong donkey and made an ass out of myself. So... haven't you always wanted a Donkey!

Much appreciated- promise I'll pay you back dearly.

Groceries in Santorini, extra logs at the Chateau, whatever you want.

o
Hmmm

Seff I know. I'll sing her a little song!

I could even buy her an Emu.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plllog's Little Song

o
Carlos Cortes?

Carlos Cortes benches? Hey, those sound nice?

o

We have an Apple store at the mall. Don't y'all?

Sol, no way you could get one of those houses in the video for $1M. No way you could furnish one of them for that. Great Canadian band. Good song. Song meant something more realistic and sweet. Silly vid. Okay, the song's silly too (who wants a K-car or John Merrick's bones?). Not sure what I'd do with an emu--don't they peck?--but it might look good on the South lawn in the Dordogne.

o
So Much For Dazzling Her With a K-Car!

Not sure what I'd do with an emu--don't they peck?

LOL!!!

Well, they're not exactly kiss givers but it would let the French neighbors know that we may be American but we're also multicultural or should I say "multispecieal".

o

If we had opossums and wallabies we could be multisupial as well.

Do llamas spit? Their cousins (camels) do, and they have really stinky, hard to wash off spit. Emus have pretty feathers. Let's have emus.

o

We have an Apple store at the mall. Don't y'all?

Oops, a case of writing something that works better when spoken. We do have an Apple store at the mall, both malls as a matter of fact. I don't usually like mall shopping and since most Apple products are only displayed at the Apple store in the mall I don't get to see them much.

Carlos Cortes is an amazing concrete artist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cortes

o

Sorry, the west is not as wild as it used to be and my lot doesn't meet the minimum for a donkey in the city. I can have any combination of up to five goats or llamas and domestic fowl, including roosters, no minimum lot size requirement. Not sure about the Emu as domestic fowl.

It's good you two have settled your misunderstanding and we won't need donkey names after all.

o

If you get your Emu, then I want my Dolphin.

We'll keep him in Santorini.

o

You can't "have" a dolphin!!! You can't "keep" a dolphin!!! If he likes you and wants to come around, fine, you can have a dolphin friend, but cetaceans aren't pets!! I'm not even so sure about domestic emus, but thought you knew.

Steff, I get it now. Snark. I was baffled. All comes clear. And yeah, I get it that the Cortes furnishings would make the prospect of malldom more palatable.

o

So Apple sent me an e-mail offering a maximum of 2 of the 3G + WiFi iPads. But you don't want one anymore, right? We're on to the 4G?

o
Instant Deposit To Steff's Folder

Sorry, the west is not as wild as it used to be and my lot doesn't meet the minimum for a donkey in the city. I can have any combination of up to five goats or llamas and domestic fowl, including roosters, no minimum lot size requirement. Not sure about the Emu as domestic fowl.

LOL!!! Stef-it's already in your folder. Cute. And thank you for checking the by-laws

o
Oh No! They're On The Way!!!

The STRIPPERS!!

What do I do? HELP!

Should I clear the dining table?... you know for "Table Dancing"!

Maybe I should get all pimped up in my best duds.

o

Things are heating UP!

o
They've started...

They've started... peeling!

One of them told me to be quiet and turned the stereo up with this.

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm Listening Up

o
What Do I Do Now?

Plllog-Stef- What if they start taking advantage... of me?

Should I report this to say the local authorities?

I mean surely a man is entitled to hold onto his "dignity"!

SIGH;;;; this music has to change. It should be more like this...

Here is a link that might be useful: Record Change

o

LOL, hope everything is working out okay and you get the Colorful Mexican Kitchen back on track soon.

Anyone who pops in at this point would be wondering....

o

So Apple sent me an e-mail offering a maximum of 2 of the 3G + WiFi iPads. But you don't want one anymore, right?

Yes I do. Let me get that right Plllog. You're dipping into the iPad Wifi? Two of them?

o

Plllog-stop teasing us!

Are you reading this post on a spankin new Pad?

Lucky duck :-)

o

So, how was the day of stripping?

o

No, no! I don't have one. I have an offer from Apple to buy them. I'm happy with my little iPhone. On the news they were reporting on a new malady. iPad related insomnia. See! The component shortage is actually good for your health!

So... Are the returned boards all stripped now?

o

So... Are the returned boards all stripped now?

Umm. Not exactly. Only 3 out of about 12-14 pieces! It's pretty time intensive. Yeah. Good ol Carpenter was a real pal. Even my student worker shook his head and asked "He was a Pro?" Blotchy, some pieces even had specks of dust embedded under the surface. I guess the word sanding never came to mind.

My student is still in classes so only weekends on this project for now. I just don't have the heart and time to dig in myself.

o
OK- New Idea.

You can't "have" a dolphin!!! You can't "keep" a dolphin!!!

Fine. How about an Aston!

Cmon?

670x377Image

I know. I could drive to the beach to meet my Dolphin every morning at 7 A.M. sharp. I could even take him for a spin with me one day, if he fits!

o

Tres cute! You can have the Aston, though it's going to cut the pied a terre budget. It really is cute. No putting dolphins in autos either. You can have a poodle if you want. A nice big one. But you have to remember to walk and feed it, and brush it every day.

o
Poop On The Poodle

Poodle? A Pathetic POODLE! Don't you remember how much poodle poop you you had under your Pink thongs when we were in NICE?

Now if we bring that Cote D'Azur street poop to Dordogne, just think of what the neighbors will say about us Yanks.

Say, what about a baby Toucan? I just know Steff will love the little guy too.

And he's just like a Colorful Mexican Kitchen.

99bz_kanantik-toucan

o
I've Noticed

Ever since the Aston post went up, there's been a trail of steam rising from within my Macbook.

OOOH;;;;

o
Today's Forecast

Speaking of Steam... Thanks Stef!

We had 22C today! Was that your doing?

Lone Star, we love Ya!

o

You think dolphins don't poop???? You think toucans don't poop on your head???? No wild birds in the house. No wild animals in the house or car. You can have a chihuahua if you want small poop. A colorful Mexican dog to take around the Cte. Good idea, actually. There'll still be room in your little car for a passenger.

Steam? Your Macbook is in love with a quarter million dollar sports car? Maybe buy it a tequila and let it down easy. I mean it can aspire to a loving relationhsip with an iPad, but that AM isn't going to give it the time of day.

o

Well before I'm off to bed, I just wanna say this day's been a real "handful".

Boina Noite.

Here is a link that might be useful: What a Day

o

o

LOL at the portable reader, the "Early Adopter" is pretty funny too. It's the next one.

Proper simmer with portable induction unit? No problem. I put black beans in the cast iron pot this morning and fired it up to five. As soon as they got hot, turned it back to two. Excellent results as the beans were cooked in the standard two hours without tumbling, breaking, or boiling over.

o

Cute Pollly.

Congratulations Inductionista. That's really nice to hear.

OK while in the shower today (don't know about the Yves Rocher Green Tea Shower Gel), I thought about the Pad and decided to delve into Steve's inner mind. Why did he not put the Webcam in iPad Version 1 even though the hole for it is already there?

Present webcams, even on the current line up of Holy Mac's are so yesterday. Apple is about being the benchmark. So, since new webcam technology has just ripened, Apple likely has their sights set on a HD 720P-1080P one. Who knows, with his links to Pixar, we may even see a 3D Webcam!

Either the technology wasn't ready for full scale production or, as is happening presently, no Supplier can possibly meet the Qty. demands needed by Apple. Correct me if I'm wrong Steve or be a good sport and just send me an iPad please :-) ----> Missy's Smiley adoption program.

On a further note, the so called "challengers" to Apple's iPad have already bailed out! Goodbye Microsoft and HP. Good luck Google.

o

Cute Pollly.

Congratulations Inductionista. That's really nice to hear.

OK while in the shower today (don't know about the Yves Rocher Green Tea Shower Gel), I thought about the Pad and decided to delve into Steve's inner mind. Why did he not put the Webcam in iPad Version 1 even though the hole for it is already there?

Present webcams, even on the current line up of Holy Mac's are so yesterday. Apple is about being the benchmark. So, since new webcam technology has just ripened, Apple likely has their sights set on a HD 720P-1080P one. Who knows, with his links to Pixar, we may even see a 3D Webcam!

Either the technology wasn't ready for full scale production or, as is happening presently, no Supplier can possibly meet the Qty. demands needed by Apple. Correct me if I'm wrong Steve or be a good sport and just send me an iPad please :-) ----> Missy's Smiley adoption program.

On a further note, the so called "challengers" to Apple's iPad have already bailed out! Goodbye Microsoft and HP. Good luck Google.

o
One Day I Gonna Be Just Like You...

A BIG BOY with one of those fancy shmancy Euro cookers that you girls use.

Stef- see what you've triggered thousands of kilometers- all the way up North!

After hearing about your Black Beans, I was longing for my fav Lentil dish that I haven't cooked for almost 2 years!!

How does a man cook a Lentil Curry on a bed of Brown Jasmine rice trimmed with fresh Spring Ontario Asparagus without a stove?

First, we cut one fresh onion inside a mini oval Pyrex Casserole dish then drizzle with Organic Canola oil (Organic because Canola is a GMO darling and we don't want to be a Lab experiment for Big Daddy Monsanto) and Broil inside the Black and Decker Toaster Oven.

Next, we boil one cup of rinsed Green Lentils with Spring Water in the Red Rice Cooker.

When onions are browned, we begin the exotic Indian spice dance and add Cumin, Corriander, Tumeric, Cardamom, Fegureek, Cloves, Fresh Ginger, Fresh Garlic, Garam Masala and some Olive oil and return back to Mama Decker.

When the Lentils are boiled, we pour them into the spice mixture and the let the mating game begin.

In the meantime, we go back to the Red Rice Cooker and begin cooking our Jasmine Rice.

As I type, we await the curtain call of tonight's First Spring Performance of:

For The Love of Lentil Curry

o

Further to above

Sea Salt from Santorini (I'm serious-Product of Greece)

o
Update

"Steam? Your Macbook is in love with a quarter million dollar sports car? Maybe buy it a tequila and let it down easy. I mean it can aspire to a loving relationhsip with an iPad, but that AM isn't going to give it the time of day."

Transferred to Pacific Archives Library of Santa Monica - 2nd Floor.

o

Sounds good, very ingenious.

Just checked my Sea Salt. It's from Lemont, IL.

Enjoy.

o

Tonight's wine pairing:

A crisp light Beaujolais!

Wanted a Cerveza SOL but no luck inside Fridge.

Plllog, what did you have tonight?

Stef- How were your Black Beans?

o

Hihi, good grief you all talk a lot!!!

Just for the record .... I am all for island vacations - bike or no bike. :o)
We've actually talked about 'doing' Europe on bikes - how fun would that be??

Solman - how the heck is your kitchen coming? Any update pics?
Steff, can you share the info on your induction cooker? I am really, really curious ...
Plllog .... Some day we'll cruise down your way just so I can see your kitchen in person. My DH is talking long(ish) trip this summer ... (just sayin' ....)

o

Missy! About time you showed up to the party.

We were almost on Dessert, but Plllog ran off to pick up some more cream or something.

o

Hi Missy!! Come on by! The kitchen might even be done by then. :)

Solman, very creative cooking setup you've got there!

Here it was get it cooked already stuff because I can't muster enthusiasm with the kitchen all torn up. Butterflied chicken roasted with a glaze of what was called kung pao sauce but was actually hoisin. Eggplant steamed with olive oil, lemon juice and basalmic vinegar. Eggplant halved and brushed with OO and sprinkled with citrus herb, roasted next to the chicken because I didn't want to squeeze them in the steamer pan and I was tired. Grape tomatoes and fresh pineapple. Forgot the spinach. Two bite brownies from Whole Foods (though made in Canada) for afters.

o

lol I always thought kung pao sauce was a made up name. *blush* I guess I'll have to do some googling. :o)

Kitchens take a long time, eh?
Ours is slowly coming together for which I'm grateful. My DH installed the 'new' sink a few days ago, and I actually was able to run our DW yesterday! Never thought the sound of running water could be sooooooo beuyoooooootiful!

o
Progress?

That sounds pretty good Plllog.

Missy-sorry no new photos. No progress, in fact I've actually gone backwards!

Lighting-non existent. I had the "no show" Drywall guy who wanted to trade for my new LG fridge remove the disgusting "contractors 4 inch Home Depot Special pots" and now I'll put in nice ultra low profile 3 inch pots instead.

Tiles-Mexico is trying really hard to achieve 1995 Vintage Mustard Yellow

Trim- is being stripped back to bare wood GRRRRRR;;;;;;;;; due to #%&&@%? incompetence of so called "pros".

Once the above start to fall in place, we may have lift off.

Congrats on your new sink! I too am without running water. Oh well, one day.

o

Oh, yes!!!!!! Running water day is the BEST!!!!

Congratulations!!!

o

Hi Missy, good to see you back. Yippee, running water! How's the new job?

After a little research I went with the Max Burton 6000 unit. It was selected by Cooks Illustrated testers over models that cost nearly 4x as much. The objective was to see if induction really worked for us. It works even better than we expected. Since I cook with cast iron a lot, there's almost no learning curve. The pan heats faster and more evenly which did take some getting used to. Still haven't done the pasta test and that's because my pasta pan has a copper core and won't work on induction.

Several factors are pushing us that direction. It gets very hot here in the summer, so induction is a good way to keep from overheating the kitchen. My nearly new sealed burner cooktop is not doing the job because it takes forever to boil water and simmering is a joke. It wastes the natural gas that it uses by putting most of it out to the side and not into the pan. The cooktop is easy to clean and looks good, but that's not enough since I like to cook.

I've attached a link to Toolup. I bought mine from them on ebay for about $5 less than their current sale price with shipping included.

The black beans were excellent with chopped jalapeno and onion spiced with dried pasilla. Topped it off with a dash of crema and queso fresco for a very nice lunch.

The kitchen is on hold while we focus on the master bath. A shower leak has turned into a major reno. When the house was built, some of the subfloor screws went into the ductwork below so now there is water in the duct. Mold is only one problem since the water also attracted small critters who chewed even more holes. Crews will be here Wednesday and Thursday to replace both of the air conditioners and furnaces along with the damaged ducting. It was time anyway as they are almost 20 years old.

The shower will need to be replaced, but will also be reconfigured so it's going to take some time and research. It has been on the list, but the problems have made it so we have to get it done now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Max Burton Induction

o

Stef I like it! It's so cheap too. How did you find such a bargain? All the single inductions I've seen Supinatown etc. were always about $170.00.

Which makes me think. If you can buy a single burner for $75, why are 4 burner inductions $1,500 and up in our great North America? Your Black Beans sounded nice. LOL!! I even bought a can of those yesterday (for emergencies). Can't say I'm not easily influenced.

o
Revised Description

Stef-The description reads:

Great for use in a busy restaurant kitchen, but may also be used in culinary schools, catered events, buffets, college dorms, assisted living facilities, or in the home.

And maybe it should read:

Great for use in a busy restaurant kitchen, but may also be used in culinary schools, catered events, buffets, college dorms, assisted living facilities, or in kitchen renovations where NO appliances exist!

I can't believe I could have got one of these last summer and not been cooking like a Caveman all this time. ;;;;;THUD.

o
Greetings To The Morning Lark!

Plllog-Your head? You should be good this week. LA forecast is Sun and 24 all week.

o

Q: Stef I like it! It's so cheap too. How did you find such a bargain? All the single inductions I've seen Supinatown etc. were always about $170.00.

A: ebay

I always check ebay and then compare with Price Grabber or Nextag. It's a few $$ cheaper on ebay, so that's where I purchased it. You might not get free ship to Canada.

They also emphasize that induction is extremely safe. The gas flames once caught the front of my sweater on fire and since then I've been a bit reluctant to turn up the heat. The induction shuts off when you remove the pan or after two hours. A standard electric range can be left on and forgotten.

It may not be that cheap since I'm going to have to acquire the disk or a couple new pans. I think there's a trip to the Le Creuset outlet in my future.

o

Yayyy! The Toronto Blue Jays are back in town. So you know it must be Spring.

4559084104_65a009c953_o

Wonder how many Tacos they had while cruising in Mexico.

o

Oh, so that's where they went. Must have been trying to get out of the heat by following the RVs north.

o
The Pad Aint No Passing Fad!

Apple today announced that it has reached one million iPads sold in the 28 days since the launch of Wi-Fi models in early April. iPad users have also downloaded over 12 million apps and over 1.5 million eBooks during that time.

"One million iPads in 28 days -- that's less than half of the 74 days it took to achieve this milestone with iPhone," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Demand continues to exceed supply and we're working hard to get this magical product into the hands of even more customers."

Plllog, PLEASE. Pretty please!

o
Present For Steff!

IMG_0209

o

Cute bird!

Steff, Great news on the results with the induction. Be aware, though. The disk doesn't work. Get the pots. There's supposed to be a big sale at the Le Creuset outlets in May, including free shipping.

Oy, but what a mess on your shower!! I'm so sorry!!!

Please, pretty please what?

o

The iPad present for being good.

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Bathrooms?

Stef-that is a drag sorry to say. And water damage stuff is not pretty. But the nice thing about it is you will have a spankin new Bathroom by necessity. Say, have you started the design research and all that? Flooring, sink, FAUCET! toilet, lighting, etc.

o
Ok Everyone.

It time to play Guessies!

There's a BIG BIG surprise to come... shortly. Amazing surprise.

What is it? The person who guesses gets absolutely anything they want forever.

o

Brought to you by HomePortfolio.com:

Artful Home

VIGO

Myamyx

lascava

Graff

Jado

Marco Mammoliti

KWC

THG

o

Looks like Plllog has already started digging for your faucet Steff.

She does have a knack for fine lines, I'll say.

o

First the guess -- They finally matched the vintage yellow?

Wow, those are some beautiful fixtures. I'll have to check out Home Portfolio.

Thanks for the tip on the disk, plllog. Those disks are expensive relative to the cost of the unit. I'd rather spend the $39 on a new pan anyway.

On the bath reno, I've had ideas in mind for a while so now I just have to settle on a direction and go with it. There are good points. The space is roomy, has two separate vanities and two walk in closets.

It definitely needs an update The shower is a walk in so no curtain or glass needed, but the curb is too high and wide and the plumbing chase takes up too much room. The ceiling in the shower is too low and has to be raised especially since we're thinking overhead shower. Most importantly, the tub needs a chandelier.

o
Sale!

Did I hear Le Crueset Outlet Sale?

Stef, I think I'll join you. But they no longer make Plllog's little fav cutie with the rounded bottom.

o

Steff, doing up your bathroom sounds like fun except for the ucky leak part.

So...what do you think? Which way will the style lead you?

I saw something on TV that looked really cool, though I think it could get old really fast. It was brocade wall paper in the walk-in closet. It made the clothes look special.

Do check code though. I was going to put a chandelier over my tub and found out it was a no go. Idiot people stand in a tub of water to change lightbulbs! Here, the code requires a covered flush or recessed ceiling fixture if it can be reached from the tub. Presumably so you have to be on a ladder to get at it. Unless you meant an actually chandled chandelier? (Candles?)

o

Thanks for the info on the wee induction cooktop, Steff. I def want to look into it. Even if we don't end up keeping it, trying it would be helpful, and one of the boys can have it when they move out. :o) The price sure is decent!

Good luck on your bath reno! They sure can be fun. I think they also are much faster than a kitchen! I'm sorry though that it's someone else's mistake that caused the issue. It's always easier when it's just age or your own error. It is awfully fun shopping for vanities/fixtures/lights etc.

Solman, sorry to hear about your woes. :o( It really is hard to find good help these days .... Too bad we didn't live closer - I'd hire out my DH. We know he can do a good job!

My guess is that you entered a contest and are winning something apple related, or the stove that you ordered from Europe is in? (I think you ordered one from over there somewhere ...)

Plllog - those faucets are gorgeous!! If you aren't already - you should be a decorator for those really high end Malibu homes. You certainly have the eye ...

Some of the things that people do are just dumb eh? Who'da thought a hundred years ago that people wouldn't know to not change a lightbulb while standing in water. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

If any of you 'southern folk' see a sale on Le Creuset, please lemme know, k? We don't have any outlet stores here, but I maybe can find something online.

o

I do remember that discussion on the chandelier over the tub. Someone was going to switch out the light after inspection. I'm much more familiar with the codes for public spaces than residential.

Brocade wallpaper in the closet would be fun, like the inside of a steamer trunk. It's the only place I would go that traditional. Vintage Van Luit?

Missy, I just checked and there's not even a Marshall's or Home Goods near you. If you are taking a trip this year, you should plan on hitting the outlet malls along the way. I think they will ship it home for you.

As far as the style I do know I don't want tone on tone travertine or too rustic, so somewhere in between which covers a lot. Love those stylized bird fixtures.

Just discovered Ovation TV. How did I miss this? The "Designer People, Design to Die For" series is awesome.

o

Steff's- The Yellow tiles matched. Sorry, but I still do wish

Missy- Wow you're a good thinker (dangerous in hide and seek)

1. The AEG Induction from Germany... very good try but-not yet.

2. Apple related-contest winner. Wooo, and also wishful

o
Hint

Something very useful and that we like to use everyday.

o

Missy, I'm going with a friend tomorrow, but I don't think the shipping expense would be worth it to send you any.

Thanks for the kind words, but I just pulled out some of the interesting ones from that website. I don't have the personality to deal with those people anyway. :)

o

Steff, exactly! Van Luit! Have you seen Brocade? (The people who make flocked foil look cool...)

Solman got a new toilet. :)

o

LOL!!!! Toilet!

Plllog you're being very naughty today- we won't even count that as a vote.

o
Controlled Leak #2

Sorry Stef-no pun intended on the bathroom reno.

It's rectangular.

o

Something very useful and that we like to use everyday.
It's rectangular.

rectangular

o
Girls That's Class For Today

Plllog-You'll be staying in after school. I warned you.

o

But, DAD!! It's RECTANGULAR!!!!!

My first guess was the oven, but the toilet is way cooler.

o

A new toilet's fine - as long as it isn't in the new kitchen!

LOL @ the square toilet. Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks plllog - you're likely right re shipping.
Good idea Steff! I've never thought to shop and have things sent home - I've always brought things home with us.

Solman - uhhhhhh rectangular fridge? sink? mirror?

o
Controlled Leak #3

It can be picked up.

o
Warning.

Plllog- You know we can stay here in the school all night don't you?

I've told all the girls there's not gonna be any Sass in my class.

o

That toilet is just too funny! Great timing, plllog.

Guess #2: Solman ordered an induction portable unit.

Brocade really has me thinking that it would be fun to do something in the closet. I wonder if that curvy, silver leaf lingerie chest I saw a few months ago is still available? The closet planning is a good diversion from just trying to keep the upstairs shower from ending up downstairs.

Missy - Just thinking there's not much room on a motorcycle.

o
plllog's recipe for scones..

Almost forgot to thank plllog for the scone recipe. What scone recipe? Well, the one I made up this morning following her baking directions.

I've made them before so this time I just combined the ingredients, tasted, adjusted, and baked without consulting a written recipe. The result was very good.

o

LOL!! Steff, I'm so glad they came out so well!! Last night I put biscuit topping on my chicken pie and it had been so long since I'd made biscuits I actually looked it up! They didn't rise or even bake. The pie part came out fine. The biscuit "lid" did its thing, but I've never seen anything not bake like that. Maybe I should have kept the book closed? Really glad the scones came out.

BTW, curvy, silver leaf lingerie chest sounds totally fab!!

o

All this scone talk is getting me hungry.

Looks like we've got a couple of Bakers on board.

How about some good Roggenbrot?

o
Limit 2 Per Customer

Plllog-I hope there's a limit per customer in that Le Crueset sale today.

So what did you get us?

We now await with all eyes open in anticipation....

Here is a link that might be useful: Plllog's Anticipation

o

Duck.

o

Peking

1783337_f520

o
Note

Vegetarians rejoice!

o

DUCK!

o

Photobucket

o

gp

o

Woooo It's a Ferrari!

C'mon what else?

Plllog-I noticed the entire back end of the Jeep sagging when you rolled in just now.

o
Extra Extra! Read All About It!

Dinner's on Plllog tonight, no doubt about it.

o

That's beautiful!

Ooh, I'm definitely ready to go especially since there's a sale on during May.

o

Not just the sale, but they had an extra discount on unboxed pots because they're about to remodel.

Psst! Sol!! Guess what?

o
Walk High!

wok

o

I was just looking at those online today! Trying to decide if that would work for me or not.

o

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ancient Chinese Secret.

(see I knew you had more, stuffed under the back seats)

Thanks Plllog! You shouldn't have. You really know how to win over a man's heart.

Now outta my way, fire up that there German Missle launcher thing of yours and let me get at this thing.

It's Chicken with Black Bean Sauce on rice tonight.

o
Theory

Stef- You don't think these carefully controlled tormenting leaks from LA are linked to a Le Crueset Marketing scheme do you?

And suddenly based on these little teasers, we've already got the car idling on the driveway and ready to pull out!

SIGH;;;;, that girl, I'll tell ya.

o

LOL!!! Stef- I was on the phone too.

Wouldn't it be ROTL if you, me, and Missy all ended up with our Le Cruesets this month?

Then we'd be all a happy and fit Le Crueset family!

Here is a link that might be useful: Not Bad For 2 Hours

o

There's still time to make it for the Victoria Day Sale. I've been to Grove City Outlets a number of times. It's a nice mall and a pretty area. No sales tax on clothes or shoes adds to the bargain.

I thought it would be more than two hours for you so that's pretty good. Our running joke is that the best way to drive across Canada is to take I-80. We came up with that while trying to drive across New Brunswick on the Trans-Canada Highway. You can sing "Follow the Only Road" only so many times, eh?

o

The Le Creuset girl today was really sweet. Told me nice little stories about the town, the shop, her house reno. We were both LOL!! when I told her that I don't even have a stove/oven- Kitchen! Her story was even better. She doesn't have a house yet but bought her Le Cruesets.

Oh, I'm sooo tired (long story to be revealed later and yes related to the BIG surprise) but loved today's laughs.

Plllog, at least get me a better spatula for the wok please. We're going camping this weekend, remember?

Nightee Nightee.

o

So there's more to see at the outlet than cookware?

o

Hi! I'm home again and Solman's already gone to bed. Guess he's adjusting to camping time. I mostly got the wok because a) it's cool looking, b) it doesn't have that long handle that some have that just looks wrong to me, c) while I don't generally like the textured black enamel, it does seem more right in a wok, d) it's shaped like the inside out ones, and I can more easily see myself using it, and, most of all, e) I couldn't not for the price or else kick myself forever after. Especially since I doubt I'll be buying so many other pots so soon seeing as I got three just for cooking in. The goose pot and the wok may end up my favorite pots, but right now I'm thinking art. :)

The other pots are a smaller braiser than mine, which I adore, but is sometimes just too big, and two of the skillet lidded saucepans. I've used the saucepan more since I've had the induction than ever before. When they came out with the different sizes I was going to buy them but they had the black textured enamel in the skillet part and I hate that. At the outlet they had the old fashioned almond color smooth enamel. No little ones, but I have the saucier now, and my little de Buyer blini pans, but I got an orange one like my red one and a red one a size bigger. I had originally intended to get a 3 qt. dutch oven. I don't have any round dutch ovens! But the bigger saucepan is 3.75 qt. so I just got that. I can get a dutch oven anywhere if I think I really need one.

Can you tell I'm very tickled with my new pots? I hope they'll all fit in the drawers! They should. They're roomy. And I think my oval dutch oven will fit in the goose pot. :) Kitchen is still torn up so I can't put them away yet.

Steff, do you mean the Le Creuset outlet? How do you define "cookware"? They had a dutch oven on an induction hob at the cash-wrap with onions and herbs simmering to make the place smell French and yummy, and they were playing Edith Piaf. They have a bookcase of cookbooks, and some not-on-sale other company cutlery and a few similar accessories. And Le Creuset pots, stoneware and accessories. I got some little stoneware baking dishes. I've been looking for some for awhile and have mostly found the wrong shape and size or the wrong price. Outlet price with big honkin' sale attached? Right sizes, pretty colors, nice shaped in detailing, and very right price.

Hm... I think someone had too much fun. But guess who has a dishwasher now and doesn't have to wash all of them (and the pyrex containers from the Corning store) by hand?

o
Yayyyyyy It's Plllog's Celebration Day Today!

"Solman's already gone to bed."

Yeah, but I still peek under the sheets.

And I can hear you and Stef and Missy doin the Boogie in the Living Room and celebrating today's Le Creuset Outlet Sale heist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Everybody Gettin Down

o

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Plllog, those are great. You had a really good day at the outlet. That's the best when there are things are on your list and on sale. Throw in a couple of things you just plain want and it's well work the trip. I'm hoping there's something left by the time I get there.

The outlet sounds lovely, too. My "cookware" comment was a reference to Solly's friendly conversation with the associate at the outlet in Grove City and that he seems even more enthusiastic about the trip now. Just sounded like something else was cookin'.

o

So there's more to see at the outlet than cookware? My "cookware" comment was a reference to Solly's friendly conversation with the associate at the outlet in Grove City and that he seems even more enthusiastic about the trip now. Just sounded like something else was cookin'.

ROTL!!! Stef

Oh oh, looks like i've been a little naughty.

o
Congratulations Senorita!

And Buenos Dias en este Cinco de Mayo.

What happened last night? When I came down this morning, all I saw was confetti, empty Champagne flutes, Casseroles, empty shopping bags, and CD's everywhere. Looks like you girls were really boogying and without me:(

That's so sweet Plllog. Hey isn't it nice when you can still have that 'kid with a new toy' feeling? What I like is enjoying the happiness of others. And it saves you lots of money :) Though not in our case if we all file off to the Le Crueset Outlet LOL!!

o
I Was Dreaming...

Stef- I kid you not. All the way, until this morning, I was in the deepest sleep possible with a long dream that I don't dare even mention. But there was definitely enough content for a good Hollywood script.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dreaming Is Free

o
Cinco De Mayo Fiesta!

Plllog- last night was just the warm up. Tonight's the real fiesta!

So what are you girls wearing today for Cinco de Mayo?

Are we having a Garden Party or do we all go to...Chipotles!

While you're deciding, I'm off to pick up the Cervezas-SOL

Here is a link that might be useful: SOL Brings Happiness

o

Oh! Steff, I'm still getting used to the snark from your corner. :) I noticed the same thing but was too slow on the uptake re your comment. (hee)

When I was a kid we did Ballet Folklrico for Cindo de Mayo. Much more fun than commercial beer fests.

o

Plllog, that sounds really beautiful. Did you wear one of those big swirling frilly dresses and all?

I still race at any chance to see Ballet Folklorico whenever in Mexico.

My favorite is in Merida, Yucatan where they close the streets around the Zocalo and have stunning shows.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Dresses!

o

When we were kids we just wore bright colors. They didn't want the parents to be obligated for costumes. I'm talking about in school, not dance class. When I was in Mexico in college and taking dance classes, short skirts were in. That is below the knee but not floor length. And we wore them with plain peasant blouses. No embroidery. Just ribbons on the flounce. I think it was meant as anti-colonial, and to be less quaint. Even though the skirts flirt the same way as the long ones do, they could otherwise have just been stylish skirts of the time. I think I still have mine somewhere. One is turquoise with red and white ribbons and lace. The other is a black and white print with white ribbons.

We did really really traditional for one show, and more interesting ones for the other, but it's the traditional ones I remember best. I knew Jesusita En Chihuahua from school but we did the bridge in Mexico. :) And we did the real version of Jarabe Tapatio instead of the one everyone everywhere learns in school. And La Culebra, which is one of my very favorites. And a showpiece to Guadalajara. I don't remember the more intricate, less trite ones though.

o

So it's SOL for Solly. The party is outdoors of course. Simple fare on the menu. Carne Guisada, tortillas, rice, beans, and beer.

GW does not speak Spanish and keeps underlining the words as misspelled.

Those dances sound like a lot of fun, plllog. I remember learning some dances in school, but don't remember any details.

Love those dresses. I remember a family day trip to Ciudad Juarez when I was in grade school and we all got those bright cotton dresses with lace and ruffles. I loved that dress until I grew out of it all too quickly. In college I wore the embroidered blouses with jeans. I still have an amazing red wool jacket with felt applique and stitching. It's a real beauty and I should really display it somehow.

You still see the dresses everywhere during Fiesta, but not much otherwise. The little ones who already know the different steps for each dance are especially fun to watch.

o

O good grief - I'll say it again - you all talk alot!! :o)

I see I've missed (another) party, fiesta dresses, Solman flirting with salesgirls, and lots of shopping!

o
sale?

Speaking of shopping - Would you kindly US peeples tell me if these prices are similar to what you pay for them on sale down there?
thankuverymuch!

Here is a link that might be useful: le creuset sale

o
snarkiness

AHA - I see I missed Steff being snarky too!!! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Solman flirting with salesgirls

Missy-Was not!

Just interested in her wares. Cookwares :)

o
bad bad bad

bad Solly! Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Missy,

It's hard to tell for sure. According to Solman US and Candian dollars have been around parity recently. The outlet prices on my receipt, some of which are for seconds, are a little lower than the ones on the linked site, just straight number comparison. One was the same price right on, and it might be first quality (it's still in the garage so I can't just check). That one was 25% less than Amazon, which is equally significantly less than list. But that's all before the 40% off pre-remodel sale I lucked into, or the 25%-35% off graduated sale (buy more get bigger percentage off). Oh! Wait! The wok is first quality. They have the cobalt as more than the other colors, which surprises me since it's the black one that comes with the spiffy, ouchy stainless knob, but it's a few dollars more than the base price of mine. Pretty close.

In other words, doesn't touch the outlet sale, but equivalent to a retail sale or the outlet regular price, taking dollars as even.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here