Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chambery1

Help with Replacement HVAC decision

chambery1
14 years ago

We are replacing our 15 year old split electric A/C and gas furnace as the E coil is leaking Freon and cannot be repaired. We also want to take advantage of the new federal energy credit of $1,500 and to add a variable speed blower. We are 50 and plan to stay in this house. It is a 2,476 sq ft single story in central Arkansas with the gas furnace and E coil in the attic and the electric A/C unit on a pad. Right now I have a 3.5 ton cooling unit that cools ok and runs about 70 minutes on and 70 minutes off during the hottest part of the day with high outside temps hitting 95. My current furnace is 100,000 BTUs with a constant speed blower and heats fine during the winter.

We have gotten 4 quotes, two of the contractors did a manual J calc on laptops while they were here and I observed the entire process. Both input dimensions of each room, wall heights, window sizes and locations and type, door locations, directional orientation of the house, return air size and capacity, vent size and capacity, persons in the house, desired temperature drop and rise, etc. Both calculations resulted in 4 ton cooling (44,000 BTUs per one calc and 49,000 BTUs for the other calc) and 68,000 / 72,000 BTU heating requirements. Both of these contractors answered my questions satisfactorily, both noted without my saying anything that my return air capacity was too small and the chases needed to be sealed. Returns are in two hallways at floor level and both are 12x24. Both asked if any rooms were hotter or colder than the other rooms and in fact a back bedroom and the master bath are cooler in winter and warmer in summer than other rooms. Both contractors suggested a solution. In short, I think either man would do a good install. The quotes call for replacing the gas furnace, E Coil and outside unit. Both proposed A/C units at 16 SEER replacing the old unit that is 10 SEER. The proposed furnaces are 90,000 BTUs, 2 stage with variable blower and tin plated E Coils. Both systems are rated at 13 EER. All three systems qualify for the $1,500 federal energy credit. Both said my duct work was sized, sealed, and insulated properly. In addition to the equipment, they are modifying the plenums with custom built sheet metal transitions as needed for their equipment, altering the take offs on the duct work to address the problem noted in the master bath and back bedroom, providing a new auxiliary drain pan and furnace vent, sealing the two return chases and installing two more return air filter grills, one each at the top of the walls above the existing grills so that my surface area will double to bring the return air volume up to what is required. Both men used calculations that resulted in 4.xx which they said indicated the 1,152 square inches of surface area the returns would adequately supply air for 4 tons. Both men run two install crews and both are family owned. They prepare the quotes and supervise the install crews for their company. One company carries Trane and Lennox, the other only Carrier. Both come well recommended.

I must decide whether to go with a Trane or Lennox system from one contractor or a Carrier system from the other contractor. It seems most of what I have found out from reviews, articles and web forums say that the installation has as much or more to do with the results as the equipment brand, although there are differences in equipment that should be considered. The Lennox system and the Carrier system are both approximately $7,700 and are midline units, while the Trane system is about $10,000 for top line units. All prices quoted include installation, modifications to returns and ducts as required, permits and taxes.

I expected the pricing to be about less in each instance. Are these quotes reasonable? Do contractors expect customers to bargain the same way car buyer’s bargain? Do you have an opinion regarding the quality of these three brands? Is it possible that, since the current 3.5 ton 10 SEER A/C does a good job of cooling that I should replace it with another 3.5 ton unit at 16 SEER? I know I don’t want to oversize.

Thanks for your time and help.

Comments (7)

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

chambery

if you really want an answer approaching an informed opinion, you will post the mdl numbers of the furnace, evap coil, and condensor for each system.

I will say this. you want a furnace that has a var speed blower. and you do not want to leave the fed govt tax credit lying on the table.

IMO

• classicdave
    14 years ago

If you ask me, I like the Carrier/Bryant systems. I like the Thermostat controls better. From Carrier/Bryant you can also choose a hybrid heat system which I recommend you at least look into.
    There should be fall rebates starting soon on certain systems so you can save a little more with that. An Authorized Dealer should be able to give you an instant manufacture rebate.

Next a load calculation is a preferred method of sizing an air conditioning system. It is mandatory in new construction. If your house is older than 20yrs then it may be good to have a load calc done. However it is Not the Answer to everything. It is only as good as the inputs and It is more used as a sales tool in my opinion.
    I've been doing load calcs since 1989 and some estimates I will use it if it is requested but for the most I don't do a load calc. I rely more on looking at installation, customer input and duct. If the customer wants the absolute facts on there home then we can do an blower door and duct blaster test on the home then do a Load Calc. But time is money and these things really can't be properly done for free.

If you like a contractor over another contractor and his price is higher you can ask him if he will reduce his price to meet or get closer to the other contractors price, this is normal.
    Keep in mind you can't compare an Authorized Dealer with some jackleg's price. The customer service and reliability of the company is a major factor to consider.

• chambery1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good information and advice, thanks.

I do plan on a variable speed blower. Load calcs were performed and one of the contractors did as you said ClassicDave, he asked alot of questions about my existing system's performance and what I like or disliked about it.

The model numbers I have so far are on the carrier system

24ABB449 4 ton A/C
    CSPH6012 5 ton E Coil
    58CVA090-16 90,000 BTU 2 stage variable speed blower

This system is rated at 45,500 BTU cooling capacity, 16 SEER and 13 EER.

Checking the AHRI website for Carrier systems, the only 4 ton E Coil that qualifies for the tax credit had to be mated to a 155,000 BTU furnace.

I am supposed to get formal quotes with model numbers from the Trane / Lennox dealer this coming week.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg082325342972.html?2

• tigerdunes
    14 years ago

chambery

the condenser quoted is Carrier's bottom end base mdl.

with today's expensive fuel rates, an 80% eff furnace is a mistake unless paired with a matching high eff heat pump.

IMO

• chambery1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There are no Comfort series with a Carrier E Coil that qualify for the energy credit. The Comfort series is estimated to save $23 per year over the Base model, a payback of 65 years ($1,500/$23). And the higher price of the Comfort series is not factored into that payback period. The Carrier dealer is offering 10 year all parts warranty as part of the price. So no difference there. Located is a brick corner at the remotest corner of the house, sound is not an issue and at only 4 dB greater sound rating, I would rather enjoy the dollars saved. I'll have a variable speed fan and Thermidistat to achieve proper humidity control.

I have made a note to ask the contractors about the HP option again. We briefly discussed it earlier and the initial cost was high enough that I calculated a payback that was not justified. Given my opinion, FWIW, that electric rates will rise much faster than nat gas rates over the next 10 to 20 years due to the current and expected continued glut of nat gas supply on the market and in the ground combined with the likelihood that this cap and trade energy legislation will pass causing all electric generating companies costs and our bills to rise dramatically, I expect significant savings by using gas relative to electricity, Again, just my opinion, but also my dollars. I hope it doesn't actually happen.

But I will explore the HP option again.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg082325342972.html?4

• classicdave
    14 years ago

You are correct there is no carrier comfort 4 ton a/c system that meets the 16SEER 13EER as the 24ABB449
    Personally I'm not a fan of the Carrier Base models but it just blows my mind how Carrier/Bryant only makes a 49 and a 61 in the Base model and not in the comfort.
    It's the way to go but see if they will throw in a sound blanket for the compressor.

• chambery1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That and a thermostat is what I had in mind, and a reduced price on a 10 year labor warranty from the contractor. Can't hurt to ask.

Thanks ClassicDave

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hvac/msg082325342972.html?10126