Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

buying furniture from North Carolina that costs less than retail?

tetrazzini
15 years ago

Hi,

I've heard that you can find a style of furniture you like and then buy it at a lower price from somewhere in North Carolina. Lots of people seem to know about this, but it's new for me. Is there more than one company in NC that does this, or is it something of a cottage industry there? Can anyone point me to a business(s) that does this?

Thank you.

Comments (11)

• mogator88
    15 years ago

Please do a search of the forums here. You'll find stories of people who saved a few bucks and stories of people who lost thousands of dollars, and many tales of woe and frustration in between.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I got a quote on an expensive dining room table from one of the NC onliners for a point of reference. I then went to a local retailer who was having a sale and spent a long time with the salesperson. She showed me wood samples and compared the two tables I was considering.
    Even though the store's price was 10% more, I bought through them.

There is no way I would waste a salesperson's time if I knew I would be buying elsewhere. The online place didn't accept credit cards so if the piece was damaged I would have a fight on my hands with no easy recourse. They also could go out of business while you are waiting on lead time.

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I bought a few large pieces from a local store recently and was very happy with their service. In general I'd rather do business with a small, local business. I just wanted to find out more about how this NC thing works. It's good to know all the options.

• mjob1999
    15 years ago

As a Hickory, NC native, I can honestly say that this "NC problem" is a big part of our local economy. The best way to check on prices is to come down (or up) here and visit. A great place to start is to go up US hwy 321 N from Hickory to Lenoir. It will take 2 days to go in every furniture store just in that stretch of highway if you actually look at everything. If you come down during the "after market sale" at the Hickory Furniture Mart you can find some good deals. I can say that the "Mart" has some of the higher prices that you will see in this area.

There are more reasons than volume discounts that causes prices to be much lower here. One of these is local competition. I am all in favor of supporting local businesses, but competition is what drives prices. No competitor, and you can charge what you want, and folks have no choice but to buy it. Another reason is that the furniture is produced locally, and there is virtually no transportation costs. I can leave my house, and drive to the following manufacturers plants in less than 30 minutes (this is by no means all-inclusive) Hickory-white, king hickory, century, bassett, broyhill, drexel heritage, sherrill, lane, lee. There are many, many more that I cannot think of.
    You can also buy "seconds" here. Slightly flawed furniture that is very, very cheap. This is often done in the manufacturers showrooms, who also sell "first-quality." They are also immune to the minimum retail pricing because the manufacturer owns the store. You really have to come here to see if it is worth-while for you.

• nancyusa
    15 years ago

I recently bought 2 sofa's and a chair with ottoman from Lee Industries through Alan Ferguson. The quality from Lee and service Alan Ferguson were great. Paid about 60% of retail including shipping.

See this link at That Home Site for more information. I'm quite sure Alan Ferguson can get other manufacturers.

• bluemoon2
    15 years ago

We recently moved to Greenville, SC and are in need of quite a bit of furniture. Since we're not too far from Hickory, do you recommend going to the manufacturer showrooms rather than the retail stores? Can you bring things home the same day (in a rental truck) or must it normally be ordered and delivered? For upholstered pieces, would they be likely to have matching chairs, or should I count on paying more and custom-ordering them?

• mjob1999
    15 years ago

I would go to the retail stores if you are wanting to take it home with you. I would recommend going up one day, then coming back the next with a truck and picking it up.The manufacturers showrooms in the Hickory Furniture Mart are often items that are out for show and you have to order. Since you are coming from Greenville, come straight up 85 then take 321 from Gastonia. This will take you right to the area I am talking about. It's a pretty easy drive.

• anat o
    2 years ago

Anyone know if Boyles closed?

• Golfergal216
    2 years ago

I know this is an old post but it still pops up when searching for buying furniture. I just got back from Furnitureland South. I basically knew what I wanted and went with the intention of getting best pricing and ordering. I have ordered furniture from FLS 3 times over past 20 years. While researching buying furniture, Lexington Furniture Company located in Lexington, KY popped up with good reviews and comments. I had them price the same King Hickory sectional and ottoman and they were $2,163 LOWER (including taxes and delivery). I also wanted Zimmerman Chairs and reached out to Zimmerman for local distributor and was given Cherry House Furniture Galleries in La Grange KY. Zimmerman said they would give me good prices and they did via submitting info via their website. The side chair, FLS price $1036 and Cherry House price $751.50. The arm chair, FLS price $1199 and Cherry House $870. When purchasing 6 side and 2 arm chairs, I am saving $2506.90 on the chairs. Anyone looking to purchase furniture and live anywhere in USA, try these 2 stores. I know for a fact the Lextington Furniture Company in Lexington, KY does sell to customers all over. Good luck furniture and shopping and buying.

• anat o
    2 years ago

Thank you!!! That is actually very helpful and timely advice!!