Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandradel_gw

Lee Industries Sofa--Better deal using this Forum info

dandradel
17 years ago

Wanted to share that I've used alot of the great info in this forum to recently purchase a Lee Industries sofa and loveseat. I, as others in the forum, purchased from Alan Ferguson in High Pt, NC. The price was better than I could get locally--$1,000 cheaper.

I used the Forum to narrow down the better mid-range furniture makers (better value).

I then needed to search in the brands to find a deeper sofa so my tall husband's shoulders would fit when he layed down. I needed specs! That's where the link (below) comes in handy. I don't know if it's been posted b/f, but a dealer gave it to me--it provides access to the whole Lee Industries catalog with all dimension info, etc. I love details. I think it's a blind URL as it isn't off their public website. It's much richer than their website.

I could then measure to see what sofas would fit in our family room.

I fabric "swatch shopped" at Crate & Barrel and another local shop. (C&B has a lot of the Lee materials and does actually give you quotes on Lee that they don't sell in their catalogs--but they were tre expensive--the highest quotes I got actually).

Swatches were sent to me. I have a whole bunch.

I got quotes locally (which were less than C&B), I tried to negotiate and give the biz locally (NJ) if they could match the price but then went with Alan Furgeson. Delivery is in the $175-200 range for a sofa and love seat but I didn't have to pay sales tax which I would have had to pay locally.

The whole process took a long time on my end b/c furniture shopping with young kids isn't my cup of tea...but that's why I love the online aspects to help things along. I could then target my time (when kidless) to shop and move closer to a decision.

Only draw back is that I didn't actually sit on the sofa I ordered. I got a lot of info from the local dealers and I sat on some other Lee sofas--so that--and based on what I found in the Forum helped me make the leap and just order it. Goodbye old plaid, worn couch.

I'll let you know how everything arrives...! Fingers-crossed...

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Industries Catalog

Comments (32)

• jyyanks
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting and for the link. I was one of the people who raved about Alan Ferguson (Patrick) as they gave me superior service and a great price. The problem is that I didn't place my order yet as my 3 month construction project has been delayed (we are in the 7th month with no end in site). I went to order over the weekend but they were closed by the time I called.

I do have a question for you - do they accept credit card deposits or does it have to be cash or check? With all the NC retailers going out of business, I am hesitant to put down a deposit unless its with my credit card.

Thanks.

• dandradel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tips! I paid the first 50% down with AF by credit card. The remainder, due after receipt of product, is a required check. Thinking of it...I'll need to phone them on how delivery is paid as that was not in the 50% down. (I did use Patrick--he is very nice and helpful!)

• jyyanks
    17 years ago

Thank you. Good Luck. I'm placing my order this weekend.

• pup0975
    17 years ago

I wanted to make a posting about my Lee Sofa experience since this forum helped me make my purchase. I bought our Lee Sofa from Alan Ferguson with Patrick helping me as many people have. I saved about $500 from my purchase from what other dealers in town would offer. I never got to sit on the actual sofa that I bought, but I sat on several other Lee sofas at local retailers. We got a good idea from the other sofas that the cushions were soft and the sofas were well made. We (with a little trepidation) bought the sofa that we had never sat on after choosing a fabric from samples that a local retailer had. We paid 50% by credit card up front. About 12 weeks later, Patrick called us and told us that our sofa had been delivered to their store. We sent a check for the rest of the balance. The moving company about 1 week later called us to schedule a delivery date. The delivery was quick and efficient. We had to pay the delivery people with cash or cashier's check for the delivery (the delivery charge, about $160, was cheaper than the tax that we would have had to pay if we had bought it locally). We've love the couch and eventually bought 2 more cushions from Alan Ferguson (they were almost 1/2 the price as local retailers for the cushions). I have started to recommend to all of my friends if they are looking for a high end sofa to go through NC. I hope this helps for anyone looking at buying a Lee sofa.

• jyyanks
    17 years ago

Thank you for sharing your experience. It further reinforces that I'm making the right decision. Right now, I am waiting for paint samples to come in as I'm having a difficult time choosing between 2 different fabrics. If possible, can you post a pic of your furniture?
    Also, did it really take 12 weeks? As mentioned above, my renovation is in its 7th month and they just finished the exterior and are just starting the interior work (long horrible story). I am just hoping that my house will be done in 3 months.
    Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

• pup0975
    17 years ago

Actually, looking back at my emails, it took about 8 weeks for them to get the sofa, then took about another 1 1/2 to get the sofa delivered. If you can tell me how to load up an image onto this board, I'd be glad to post a picture. We got this sofa:

Here is a link that might be useful: Sofa

• jyyanks
    17 years ago

Thanks Pup. If you can post, great! If its too much trouble, than don't worry about it. Here is a link I found on how to post pics. I think most people use "Photobucket" to store their pics.

There is a very recent thread in the furniture form as well.
    Thanks again.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pics

• jyyanks
    17 years ago

Pup,
    This is actually a better thread on how to post pictures. It's how I learned. Terricks graphic is especially helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pics

• musetta
    17 years ago

We are very pleased with our Lee (via Crate & B) couch delivered in December. We used the dimensions of an Ethan Allen couch we liked, and found one approximately the same size in the Lee catalog. We got the extra firm cushions (no extra charge), which turned out to be perfect. With the annual 25% off custom upholstery sale at C & B, and their $69 flat delivery charge, it was the most economical option for Southern Californians.

• glenna
    17 years ago

Musetta, could you explain a bit more about getting a Lee sofa from C & B? I thought C & B carried only their own line (much of which used to be made by Mitchell Gold, I think). I've looked at the Lee catalog and think they've got a sofa I'd like, but I'm leery of ordering without seeing/sitting. Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

• dandradel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I originally posted this thread and as promised, I wanted to let you know that I received my 2 sofas and 1 loveseat this past Saturday without a hitch. The delivery service that Alan Ferguson contracts with (Alpha & Omega was it?) was careful and considerate. Everything is perfect! The Lee furniture is very well made and comfortable and wide enough for my husband's shoulders as I hoped!

It took about a week and half for delivery from the time I paid the second (and final) installment for the sofas once they were in Alan Ferguson's possession.

Wonderful experience all around. For a few extra bucks the delivery guys even took my old sofa and loveseat into our basement. I'd use Alan Ferguson again without hesitation.

• jyyanks
    17 years ago

Dandradel,
    Thank you for posting. I ordered my furniture mid-March and am waiting with bated breath. Quick question - did they send you a receipt confirming your deposit? They mentioned that one would come in the mail but I haven't received anything and I my credit card was charged. I'm more curious than worried. In any event, thank you for the follow up.

• dandradel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jyyanks - Yes, they sent a receipt for the deposit and again when paid in full. As I'm sure you know, the second installment can't be credit card--I paid by check. Good luck. If your experience is anything like mine, you'll be very pleased! (Under the cushions, each piece is signed by 3 craftspeople involved in it's creation!) Laura

• wekick
    17 years ago

I got my Lee furniture today via Alan Ferguson (Patrick)and Alpha and Omega. It is beautiful and I am pleased as punch. My shipping took a little longer because they wait and try to ship to others in your area. I swatch shopped and would have given my business to a local place but the price was not even close.

• blpostid
    16 years ago

Hi, I'd like opinions/recommendations on Lee vs Sherrill, Laine, Norwalk for sofas? Also, has anyone used Alan Ferguson in NC lately? Thanks!

• jyyanks
    16 years ago

Just posting to say that I received my furniture in May. I was very pleased with the delivery company and the service from Alan Ferguson. Actually, AF ordered the wrong fabric for the pillows and they sent me the correct ones in a week and let me keep the old ones for free. I had a very postive experience and saved alot of $$.

• nashvillegirl
    16 years ago

Bumping this up as we are considering purchasing a pair of the apartment sized Lee sofa linked below. I plan to shop locally first to decide on a fabric, but based on the wonderful experiences I've read on here, I want to get a price quote from Alan Ferguson. Does anyone have any recent experience with Alan Ferguson?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Sofa

• babola123
    16 years ago

Just ordered my sofa at the beginning of February. I had already researched locally the style and fabrics I wanted for my Lee sectional. They were super-nice (patrick no longer works there, by the way, but I dealt with Jane, who was sweet), and they saved me A LOT of money compared to the lowest price I could find in the NY metropolitan area. I just found out that my sectional has been picked up by the freight company and I am waiting for delivery. I would highly recommend Alan Ferguson.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    16 years ago

I need all new family room furniture - sofa, chairs, tables, everything.

Anyone have a link to Alan Ferguson? The Lee sofa sounds like good quality according to the above posts. I'm clueless.

• trudi
    16 years ago

Hi-
    I was wondering if Lee Industries has microfibre or sunbrella in the selection of fabrics that can be picked? Additionally what is the average price for a sofa? And lastly how do I get in contact with the person in High Pt?

Thanks so much, Trudi

• soxfan6
    16 years ago

I could never find a website for Alan Ferguson. Their phone number is 336-889-3866. I ordered a sofa and loveseat from them in February and they will be delivered to me next week. I looked on the Lee Industries website to find the style i liked, and then ordered swatches of fabric from them to decide on fabric. They arrived quickly. I also visited a local retailer to sit on some Lee pieces so that I could confirm what i had heard here-- that Lee is comfortable! Once i had made my choices i called Alan Ferguson and ordered. A very simple process! As for whether they have sunbrella or microfiber, i am sure the people at AF would be happy to help you with that. Good Luck!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    16 years ago

I called A. Ferguson today and spoke to Jane. Went to Crate & Barrel this evening to check out Lee pieces and fabrics. The leather sofa I'm considering is $5,200 at C&B. Jane quoted me a price of $2,999 plus $250 shipping. The fabric recliners I'm looking at are about $1,900 at C&B and Jane quoted those at $1,110.

As soon as I get the fabric swatches to confirm it's what what I want, I'm ordering all three pieces from A. Ferguson. Delivery from A.F. is 6 to 10 weeks. Hope that helps.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    16 years ago

I understand that Lee Industries still makes their furniture in N.C. That's what C&B told me any way and if true, makes this deal all the better. I'm not even going to shop around for another brand. The quality of the Lee pieces I saw at C&B was lovely. Nice seams, solid. I am clueless about furniture, but it sure looked impressive.

I could probably find something cheaper, but the deal from A. Ferguson sounds pretty good to me and buying furniture made in the USA would make me even happier about the purchase.

• jyyanks
    16 years ago

Lee is made in the US. What's nice is if you flip over the seat cushions you'll see a tag with the signatures of the sewer, cutter, upholsterers and inspector. It's a nice touch if you ask me :)

• trudi
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the great info-
    I called Alan Ferguson and yes the price was significantly cheaper however cost for shippig a sofa to MN was $375.00 which sounds a lot more than what everyone else is quoting on this web site ? Has the price recently gone up? This then makes the sofa price about equivalent to Norwalk in which you can lay your hands on the actual sofa before purchasing...

• oceanbaby
    16 years ago

How in the world can you buy a sofa without sitting on it? Been sitting on quite a lot of sofas recently at Ethan Allen: some comfortable, others not. Interested in Lee and been reading about Alan Ferguson but afraid to take a chance. Am I missing something? Thanks.
    PS-Several very small furniture stores in my area carry Lee but no sofas.

• musetta
    16 years ago

Here's how we bought a sofa "sight unseen":

Sat on every Ethan Allen sofa, until we found the one model that felt perfect.

Obtained the measurements for that sofa from the Ethan Allen website.

Went to the Lee website, and made sure the sofa we picked had approximately the same seat height/depth/ and overall height.

Chose custom fabric at Crate and Barrel during the October 25% off sale, and ordered the extra firm cushions.

The sofa turned out great. After 2+ years, it still looks and feels wonderful.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    16 years ago

Numbers, the dimensions tell a lot of the story for me too. Plus, DH and I are of normal height, etc so common sofa sizes should work. Still, I know it's a risk we're taking, but geeze for a couple thousand dollar savings, I'm willing to take that chance. :D

• blpostid
    16 years ago

Hi! Dimensions do tell alot of the story. I give you credit for taking the plunge. Enjoy your new sofa!

One thing I've learned - from sitting in so many sofas trying to decide - is that each model, even within the same manufacturer, may have a different pillow depth as well as slant to the back part of the frame. For example, alot of Lee's are just too slanted back for my sitting perference. The Norwalk's are less so and 'fit' me better. But I want the hand tied approach Lee uses, so go figure. I've looked at Sherrill, Miles Talbott, Michael Thomas, Isenhour, and a few others. Unfortunately, I have not yet seen in person a high back which works. They are all too deep in the seat (40").

I have narrowed my search to a higher back, approximately 36" deep seat (maybe up to 38"). I've noticed that all the tags for the ones which are too deep are over 38" - still not sure what the depth measurement means, but I have concluded it doesn't account for the back slant.

I am continuing my search, if anyone has come across my future couch, please feel free to share where it is! Oh, has anyone bought Norwalk and what do you think of it? They are not 8 way hand tied and that makes me nervous, especially since I want an extra firm seat.

Thanks!

• Asdoty_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I am wondering if any of you know if it is possible to just order fabric from Lee Industries? I have an older wingback chair that belonged to my husbands grandmother (and is in excellent shape but 1970ish) that I would like to recover. I have absolutely fallen in love with the "blossom" pear fabric and must have it for the chair. Thanks for the information.

• MissyPumpkin
    11 years ago

I just wanted to thank the posters in Garden Web Home forums -- I searched long and hard for a Lee Industries sofa and used the forums for information, pros and cons, etc. Somewhere on one of the forums, a user recommended a store in Delaware called Somethings Unique. I ordered my sofa directly from Somethings Unique. They are some of the most helpful and knowledgeable sales staff --and I benefited additionally during one of their amazing sales this past fall (2012). If you live near DE, this is a source for Lee not to be missed. Just wanted to share back with this awesome community.