Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomaskuhn

gas fireplace not installed flush with wall

thomaskuhn
12 years ago

Hi!!

I am currently doing a new tile job around my gas heatilator fireplace and was having some re-tiling questions were posted in the remodel forum (Link at the end of this post).

What I found just now is that the fireplace front face is not square with the drywall and framing around it. This photo might show what I am talking about - the fireplace is "leaning" backwards:

This pic sort of shows the slant but not really:

Underneath the fireplace, I found that the firebox is resting on 4 cinder blocks. But on the front of the firebox, there is a 1/2 thick piece of wood running across between the cinder blocks and the firebox as seem here:

AS far as I read in the manual, there should not even be any wood touching that surface. There is not wood on the back cinder blocks as seen here:

Can I remove this board? I do not see any other places where the firebox is attached to the frame. I am hoping that is I can remove this (or shim up the back somehow) I can get the front face flush with the new drywall or concrete board I will be putting in to put the new tile on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Fireplace