Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kfolmar_gw

RECIPE: Velvet pound cake

kfolmar
17 years ago

A delicious, ultra rich, old fashion, southern pound cake recipe from my grandmother. http://home.earthlink.net/~ktkfolmar/

Comments (24)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Ya know, I hate to sound like a complainer, but this forum is used to post recipes you think might be enjoyed or to ask for a specific recipe. This is not the place to repeatedly post a link to your home page with pictures of your family and your personal convictions.
    And if, for some reason you do want people to visit your page, the place for the link is at the bottom of the message, as below.
    Please copy and paste your recipes here if you want to share.
    This forum is called "The Dessert Recipe Exchange".
    Thanks.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Pound cake

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I must have missed that in the rules. . .

• lindac
    17 years ago

The "rules" are at the top of this page.."This is the place to share your favorite confection, or maybe ask someone else for the perfect pound cake. This forum is guaranteed to be nonfattening!"
    If these forums contained only messages stating that "there is a recipe you might be interested in" and posting the URL to the site, there would soon be a lot of people ceasing to visit.
    If you follow the links, you will discover that it doesn't lead to a recipe but to a page with the option of "reading my resume" and a notice that he is seeking permenant employment.
    I think the links are self serving, rather than sharing a recipe.
    Linda C

• jenn
    17 years ago

The link leads to the poster's home page which includes a link to recipes. For me, the recipe pages display HTML code and do not render well on my computer or browser. If that can be fixed, then I'd love to try the recipes. Maybe this poster just needs a little help in the way to correctly post a recipe on this site. Each page should be an HTML text file.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    17 years ago

To kfolmar: Interested in a copy of your grandmother's recipe for pound cake, but unable to get through to you with HTML as listed. Can you help? Thank you.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

This is all very strange to me......I went right to this site and printed out the Pound Cake recipe yesterday without any trouble at all.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

The site as posted took me to the home page, I clicked on Kassie's Favorite Recipes and there they were.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Kassie, all you have to do when you want to post a recipe is go to the recipe on your site & copy the address. Then make your post & when you hit "Preview" paste the address you've copied in the "Optional Link Url" below & give it a title (in this case "Velvet Pound Cake."

The more recipes around here the better so I'm glad you're sharing yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Velvet Pound Cake

• Marigene
    17 years ago

Then maybe we should ALL stick to posting an exact recipe and not try to tell someone to add this or that to a recipe or try this or that to whatever they are asking about about. There is a lot of that going on by certain people who post and not everyone has the know how to do that type of cooking. I would assume if someone asks for a recipe, they are not asking for someone to tell them to add a handful of this or a pinch of that.

• lindac
    17 years ago

Huh?
    This isn't about anyone asking for a recipe...it's about someone posting links to their home page.

• glenda_al
    17 years ago

Velvet pound cake sounds delicious!!

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I hardly think anyone is looking for a job by posting a resume on a Dessert Exchange but here are Kassie's recipes which she has on her home page although I know you seldom use recipes, Linda.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kassie's Recipes

• ann_t
    17 years ago

Well I can't open the recipes on Kassie's or on the link that Ginger so kindly posted.

But if the recipe for the Velvet Pound Cake is similiar to this one that David posted a few years ago then I'm sure it is wonderful.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

====================================
    Posted by: lakeguy35 (My Page) on Tue, Jul 13, 04 at 23:50

Here is the recipe y'all, everyone I have shared this with loves it. I know there are alot of recipes floating around out there, but this one is my and many others favorite.

Janelle McComb,who was Elvis's friend from the time he was a boy in Tupelo Mississippi used to bake two loaves of this cake every Christmas and bring them to Graceland. On a good day, Elvis could eat one all by himself. He shared the other with his entourage.

ELVIS PRESLEY'S FAVORITE POUND CAKE

3 cups sugar
    1/2 pound of butter softened
    7 eggs room temperature
    3 cups cake flour, sifted twice
    1 cup heavy cream (not whipped)
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Thoroughly butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Cream together the sugar and butter. Add eggs one at a time, beating extemely well after each addition. Mix 1/2 half of the flour, then the whipping cream, then the other half of the flour. Beat 5 full minutes. Add vanilla. Pour batter into prepared pan. Set in cold oven and turn temp to 350 degrees. Bake 1 hour to 90 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted in the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan 5 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and cool thoroughly. Wrapped well in foil, this cake keeps several days.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    17 years ago

Ginger, tks for posting the recipe and for helping Kassie. Sometimes there seems to be a lot of do-to about nothing.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    17 years ago

......or to-do about nothing.

• roselin32
    17 years ago

How very odd........everything works for me.

• ann_t
    17 years ago

Marigene, I don't know if you were referring to anyone in particular, but I know that I'm often guilty of posting just a general outline for a recipe. It is basically the way that I cook. I didn't realize that there were some people that might find that annoying. So if I've ever posted a recipe this way to a request of yours I'm sorry.

Ann

• jenn
    17 years ago

I think it makes a difference which browser you are using. In IE, I can view the recipes just fine. In Firefox, the recipe is just a big page of HTML code and difficult to find the recipe components.

If you cannot properly view the recipe, then try using IE.

Let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt, shall we?

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Here, Ann. I'm happy to post the recipe so you can see it.

Velvet Poundcake

2 Sticks of butter, softened

¼ Cup shortening (that's 1/4 cup)

3 Cups sugar

5 Eggs

2 t Vanilla

3 Cups flour, sifted twice

1 - 5 oz can evaporated milk mixed with enough whole milk to make one full cup.

Cream butter, shortening and sugar together. Add eggs one at time. Mix in remaining ingredients. Bake in greased and floured tube pan at 300° F for 1½ hours, or until the cake leaves the side of the pan

• ann_t
    17 years ago

Thanks Ginger. It is very similar to David's so I'm sure that Kassie's pound cake is equally as good.

Ann

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

You're most welcome.

• msprettyky
    17 years ago

I have been looking for a good pound cake recipe. I have tried several but they always seem dry or have no flavor. I am gonna try this one tonight for dessert. As far as everything else we are discussing. I found this forum a few months ago. I have since visited everyday. One of the things that attracts me to these forums is that people want to share with each other not only recipes, but stories and pics of their families. It seems to me like alot of people consider this a "little family" and want to share a little of their lives. Maybe we should start a forum where we can share family stories and pics.....Or is there already one I am not aware of?

• ann_t
    17 years ago

msprettyky, we have a Conversation side to our Cooking Forum. It is for off-topics and we discuss just about anything and everything there, including family stories and pics. We also have a Gallery for photos.

Ann

• msprettyky
    17 years ago

Thanks Ann! I will check it out!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm