1 c margarine, softened
1/2c butter, softened
1 (8 oz) pk cream cheese
3c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
6 large eggs
3c cake flour
dash of salt
Combine margarine, butter, cream cheese, and sugar. Beat well; add salt and vanilla. One at a time, beating well after each, add eggs. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Pour batter into a greased and floured 10" tube pan or 2 greased and floured loaf pans. Place in cold oven, set oven at 275 and bake for 1 hrs. or until tests done. Cool in pan and remove.
RL`

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Cold Oven Pound Cake

Wonder why it calls for both margarine AND butter. I'm going to have to try this. I like making loaf cakes since it's easy to freeze that way. Thanks!

o

Ginger, I've no idea unless who ever wrote the recipe decided it was more cost effective to use some margarine instead of all butter??
Good cake though.
L

o

I never started a cake in a cold oven, either.

o

Marlen's Cuban Bread is started in a cold oven and that was what reminded me of this recipe. Works very well and I like this cake better than a sour cream pound cake. (Keith prefers the latter though).
RL`

o

This sounds interesting. I have some brandied peaches that will go well with this.
Thanks, Roselin!

o

I saved it. Made the raspberry cream cheese coffeecake this morning so maybe I'll try it next weekend.

o

I have a cold oven pound cake recipe that is very similar and very good. I have always wondered about the cold oven, but it always turned out perfect.

Faye

o

Faye,

Could you post your recipe, too? Please. I'd love to compare them.

Thanks, Eileen

o

Sure Eileen, here it is:

Cold Oven Pound Cake

2 sticks margarine or
1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup crisco
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1 canned milk

Cream butter and crisco with sugar till light and fluffy.
Add eggs, one at a time
Add flour and milk alternately until mixed
Pour into a greased and floured tube pan
Place in cold oven -- 350 degrees
Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes (do not open oven for 1 hour)

Faye

o

Here's a third recipe for comparative purposes. This recipe was given to me by my husband's ex-MIL. She demonstrated what a classy lady she is by not leaving out any ingredients!

3 cups sugar
1 cup butter
6 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups cake flour (measured after sifting)
1/2 pint (unwhipped) whipping cream

Cream the sugar and butter together. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. Add the vanilla. Mix the flour and whipping cream in together, a little of each at a time. Pour into either a (greased/floured) tube pan or two (greased/floured) loaf pans. Put into a cold oven and bake at 300* for 1 hour, 25 mins.

o

These all sound great!

o

Greetings ! Faye's COPC differs from my Great Aunt's in the baking powder; as my Aunt did not use BP. This recipe has been lost until I found Faye and this site.
Special Thanks to Faye.

Hope 2 C ya'll more in the future!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dessert Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here