Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cantgetmynailsclean

How do you use garland? Pics?

Over the years I keep buying garland. Some of the fluffy stuff in the new style with the little cutouts peeking out, some of the beaded ones, some of the string ones with reflective cutout shapes attached. I never use this stuff. I can never think of ways to incorporate it into displays without it looking silly. But everytime I see a nice one on clearance, I buy it! Anyone have pics of how they've incorporated it into their holiday decorations?

Comments (20)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I use the thick "faux" garland on the mantel, and it has a beaded garland entwined to give it extra sparkle.

I have a pink "retro" beaded garland laying on top of a buffet going around the stuff I have on it.

You can put beaded garlands in bowls, hanging out the sides of it.

Have you been to the Christmas Decor board? It's a great place to get inspiration. Below is a link.

Also, do a google search on "how to decorate with garland" and you should get a lot of pages to come up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas and Holiday Forum

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i weave it up our stairway every year and use a really full garland (w/ feathers and faux flowers, ribbon, etc) on top of mantle and entertainment center.

• rafor
    13 years ago

I use it everywhere!! Mantels, staircase, tops of armoires and wall units, framing the front door, etc. I'm doing the staircase later today and hope to post pics afterwards.

• cantgetmynailsclean
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yup, I've done the google search!

I actually don't have any green garland, I have the colored ones... silver with holographic candy canes cutouts hanging off of it, red with white snowflakes. I usually use those types outside on my deck, not inside.

The ones I'm always stumped on are the other types, not fluffy but either stringed beads or the gold string with holographic leaves and red beads on it. It's the newer types you'd see at like Target and Walmart.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

I have seen it woven around/through a chandelier.

• User
    13 years ago

This is the primary way that we use them. It is for the neighborhood Victorian Porch Tour. I love the way the garlands are really full and lush. I got them on sale 8 yrs ago and am really glad .

Here is another way I use a different kind:

and another way and another kind:

and this one in the kitchen above the fireplace with a pine cone garland that I got at the Dollar store a couple years ago:

• Penelope
    13 years ago

How do you all attach the ball ornaments to garland? Hooks, paddle wire, hot glue? If it's lying on top of a mantel or china cabinet do you just lay them there, or do you attach them?
    Thanks!

• rafor
    13 years ago

If it's just laying on top of a piece of furniture, I just sort of nestle the ornaments in the garland. Unless I want some of them to dangle over the edge of the furniture. Then I would just use hooks or sometimes the branches of the garland. I just bend the garland branch/leaf to hook over the ornament hanger.
    That's how I did it on this mantle; just bent the branch through the ornament hanger and cured it back to hold.

• zipdee
    13 years ago

I usually do one for our stair railing, I start with two artifical garlands and then add fresh clippings and faux berries, birds, etc. This was last years, we are headed south to a beach house this year for Christmas. So I didn't do a lot of decorating since the dogs will be staying here with a pet service coming in three times a day to walk/take care of them.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Zipdee, that's a great looking garland draped staircase! How is it attached? I've never had much luck with decorating staircases but yours is an inspiration.

Like you, if I do a garland (usually outside around the door), I use the faux & then fill in with lots of real greenery. The faux makes an excellent base to hold the other stuff & you can't see the fake pieces when it's finished - it's just very full & natural looking.

• rafor
    13 years ago

I agree with antiquesilver, that is gorgeous!

I found some great velcro type tape that comes in red and green rolls for Christmas. I used it to attach some garland and a string of lights with ornament covers on them to a long straight stair rail. I have used the same type of tape outside in the garden to tie plants to trellises but this is the first time I've used it for Christmas decorating. Before finding the tape for the garland, I just used to use ribbon to tie it to the rails,

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Very, very poorly but every year I try, try again! I'm afraid I'm not very garland savvy!

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Zipdee - Very pretty and I love the Cardinal! :)

I have garland on my small staircase, my mantle, a mirror, in my chandelier, around the front door and on my table.

This is what the table looks like now - decorated between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

This is what my table will look like next week with the garland down the center.

• susieq07
    13 years ago

Garland lit:

unlit:

Garland lit:

Unlit:

• enailes
    13 years ago

Very pretty pictures! This year I wrapped my lit garland coming down the stairs at the bottom of each step/post rather than around the handrails. I wish I could post the picture, I'm still working out my technical difficulties...:)

• Penelope
    13 years ago

Newhomebuilder, is that real magnolia you have in your mantel garland? It's very pretty.

I was glad to see that HGTV brought back the "Christmas at the White House" special, though I wish it was twice as long and they gave us longer and closer looks at some of the decorations--it all speeds by too quickly.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Yes, it's real magnolia from my yard. I add it the week of Christmas. I used to have an all fresh "ingredients" mantle, but got tired of replacing the rotting fruit every week...not to mention the expense.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Trail, I want to come sit on your front porch! It's beautiful!

Here's a beaded garland in my sitting room. It's on top of the sideboard.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Here's mine- my friend made the huge bow on the top rail; I wired ribbon into it the other day. The balls on the banister were wired in 3 years ago.

From Christmas Decorations

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

That's a stunning staircase!

Here is mine:
    {{!gwi}}

I also use it in my kitchen over my slider and over the kitchen window with gold garland and white lights.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This year I used it in the dining room for a hanging Christmas tree after seeing something similar on HGTV.
    {{!gwi}}