Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homeseller2010

Neutral Tan color?

homeseller2010
13 years ago

Hello All,

Can any of you tell what is that neutral tan color that is so common in everyone's home.

Thinking that is "the tan", I bought sample of "Sepia tan" from Benjamen Moore--however after testing it turned down to be more pink tinted.

Appreciate your response.

Thanks

Jim

Comments (26)

• western_pa_luann
    13 years ago

hmmm... I don't know what is in "everybody's home".

My house has BM Wilmington Tan.

• mpwdmom
    13 years ago

Many people have one of these 3: Pittsfield Buff, Powell Buff, Monroe Bisque. Look thru this thread, you can see some examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: neutral colors

• bleigh
    13 years ago

You may want to check into Sherwin Williams "Kilim Beige." I painted our main living areas in our house with this to prepare it for the market. Just a nice neutral with no weird undertones. Have had lots of compliments on the paint colors.

• msrose
    13 years ago

I just painted my house Lenox Tan. It's darker than the ones mpwdmom mentioned. Are you thinking of a light neutral or medium toned neutral?

Laurie

Lenox Tan

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Check out Traditional Tan by ICI. It matched an old Sherwin Williams color, called Khaki Shade, that I was unable to get this last time. It really is your basic tan!

This second photo is more true to the shade.

• msrose
    13 years ago

newhomebuilder - I've never seen that room before. Is that at your old house? I love how your furry child always seems to make it in the picture even if he/she is just barely peeking out from under the bed.

Jim - I found my sample of Sepia Tan and it does appear very pink.

Laurie

• homeseller2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful colors and pictures--thanks. I did get Wilmington Tan and tried it. It is darker shade than Powell Buff and has green undertone.
    Is there any lighter tan with brown as undertone?
    I am going crazy with this at this age and bad back.

Thanks
    Jim

• ramrice
    13 years ago

Try Eddie Bauer 'Pecan' (available at Lowes). Very warm shade of tan, no pink or weird undertones whatsoever.

Also, Olympic Classic Khaki is nice--little lighter, not as warm.

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

We just had our master bed-sitting room painted BM Blond Wood. I didn't want anything with a gold or green undertone. Blond Wood - which looks a lot like Msrose's Lenox Tan - in certain light, depending on weather and time of day, does have a hint of gray or pink undertone, but very slight. It's quite rich, looks beautiful with jewel tones, pastels, and neutrals.

I paired it with BM Alpine White on the trim, doors and ceiling.

• homeseller2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did like Eddie Bauer 'Pecan'--however, this seems to be good in living and dining area. Does this look good in the kitchen with oak cabinets too?

Appreciate your response.
    Jim

• msrose
    13 years ago

Jim - Do you have an open floor plan. If not, you can paint Pecan in the living and dining area and something different in the kitchen.

I don't know if you've seen the gallery, but here's some different tans/browns for you to look at.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: tans/browns on the gallery

• msrose
    13 years ago

I don't know how you feel about green, but it looks good with oak cabinets, so here's a link to the "greens" in the gallery.

Laurie

Here is a link that might be useful: greens in gallery

• peaches12345
    13 years ago

Try SW Macadamia. A great tan and goes with everything, not gold, not green, not pinkish. I have it throughout most of my house and 50% Macadamia in my master bath.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

msrose - That's my college age sons room, in our current house. I think he has actually slept in that room about a dozen times in the 4 years we have lived in it. I decorated it with a few things he had in his past room. He really has no attachment to his current room. As you can tell from the following photos, his previous room was LIVED IN! In case anyone ask, the color is BM Kennebunkport green.

homeseller2010 - The Traditional Tan really is a true tan with brown undertones. Here is another photo of it in the bonus room of our previous house (in SW Khaki Shade.)

Here is another tan that has more of a gray in it. It's BM Stone in my sons previous bathroom.

• bonnieann925
    13 years ago

At a holiday party last night I saw the most beautiful neutral tan on the walls. It's MB Frappe. You might want to check that one out.

• chispa
    13 years ago

You need to test beige in your own space. I avoided SW Kilim Beige because I read here that it had pink/skin undertones ... who wants that!!! Well after having the foyer in my old house repainted twice, I tried the KB and it worked prefectly in that space ... painter came back for third and final repaint!

• dreamywhite
    13 years ago

After having my house painted in orange and sending the painters home on Friday, this forum has helped me to decide that SW Whole Wheat is the perfect color.. Bought a sample, tried it out today and ended up purchasing 12 gallons on the spot... It's the perfect color.

• homeseller2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got the sample of Kilim Beige--no doubt it is a beautiful color and goes well with my kitchen oak cabinets. However, crown molding (also ceiling)and chair rails being Bone White(half white) I do not see the contrast.
    I would like to try Nomadic Desert and Latte tomorrow.
    Has any one had experience with these?

Thanks
    Jim

• lisa_mocha
    13 years ago

What about Benjamin Moore Muslin or Palace White?
    (Sorry, I don't have any pictures...wish I did)

Friends have Muslin in their finished basement and it's beautiful...other friends tried this shade in their living room and thought maybe pinky undertone. Always goes back to the lighting in your home...just to make it more complicated:)

• msrose
    13 years ago

Jim,

I haven't personally tried those colors, but here's a couple of pictures I've saved of them:

Latte
    {{!gwi}}

Latte
    {{!gwi}}

Nomadic Desert (smbnobles2)
    {{!gwi}}

Laurie

• nhb22
    13 years ago

"At a holiday party last night I saw the most beautiful neutral tan on the walls. It's MB Frappe. You might want to check that one out."

Just returned from a holiday party. The hostess painted her walls SW Baguette. Really pretty, but it may be a tad dark for your taste. Has a slight green tint to it. However, I think the contrast with the cabinets would be great! I painted my daughters kitchen in a similar color. It's a BM color that I cannot recall at the moment.

{{!gwi}}

• homeseller2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today I tried Latte and Nomadic Desert. I like both of them very much. I have a open floor plan. My kitchen is open to my living and dining space. Kitchen has natural oak cabinets and living/dining space solid natural oak floors.

Similar to the pictures by msrose--I am planning to go ahead with kitchen- Nomadic Desert(as this is little lighter) and living/dining with Latte(as this is little dark and warm). Does this look odd because of the open floor plan or as they are from the same family it does not matter?
    Entire space has chair rails/crown molding is Cream/bone white/half white color.

newhomebuilder--thanks for pictures, they all look amazing. It is just that I burnt my hands with BM--I do not understand their undertones that well. All these years I had(and still have until I paint now) BM and did not even think of any other brand. Now I think we narrowed it down to SW colors(first time in my life).

Advice appreciated.
    Jim

• ramrice
    13 years ago

Here are some pics of my kitchen in EBPecan and Den in EB Caramel, neither of them are completely done yet.

For some reason, the pecan looks darker in the photos than it is in person. I don't have much light in my kitchen though.

Here is a link that might be useful: den/kitchen

• bleigh
    13 years ago

I have Latte in my master bedroom and below the chair rail in my dining room (above is Kilim Beige). Really like the Latte. Don't worry about using different colors on the same card...they will compliment each other very well.

• denali2007
    13 years ago

I have BM Hush in a bedroom. It has no undertones It is an Affinity color.
    I'd also suggest Manchester Tan by BM

• homeseller2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi bleigh---could you please tell me color of crown molding and chair rail in your Bedroom and Dining room?

I have bone white/half white/cream color-- crown molding and chair rails through out and not sure if this goes well with Latte and Nomadic Desert.

Thanks
    Jim