Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferdoc

paint colors with honey oak cabinetry

jenniferdoc
14 years ago

From

Please forgive the quality of the photo, I cropped my family out!

We want to paint the crown molding, chair rail, base molding, and walls of our kitchen. All the trim and the cabinetry is the honey oak. We will be keeping the cabinetry as is. I would LOVE any suggestions for paint colors for both the trim/chair railing and also the walls (we are removing the horrible wallpaper and border) that would look good with the oak. Thanks so much!!

Comments (26)

• dk4mich
    14 years ago

I have very similar cabinet color in my kitchen. I ended up painting my walls "Butter" (yellow). It is a Lowes color -- their American Signature, Waverly. The trim is in a Pale Ivory - Lowe's American Signature, Waverly. I love the way it looks with the cabinets and get many compliments.

• User
    14 years ago

We have similar colored cabinets too, and like dk4mich did our kitchen in yellow as well. I wanted a warm and vibrant sunflower(ish) yellow and Ralph Lauren Finch Gold did the trick.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

What color is your countertop?

dk4mich and lukkiirish - Do you have photos? My daughter and new son-in-law have similar honey cabinets and they are trying to decide on a color that goes with their dark green counter top.

boysrus2 - Your cabinets appear to be darker than the OP's. I like your choice of color. :)

• mistybear11
    14 years ago

If you want something different. My walls are dark in colour and I have a lot of honey coloured wood. This isn't a favourite of many but it works for me.
    {{!gwi}}

• datura-07
    14 years ago

I'm at the same point. I have the oak cabnets and my granite is smilar to boysrus.

I have no idea what color to use. not sure if I want yellow.

So, I'd love to see more pictures.

thanks for starting this post jennifer

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Have you looked at the Finished Kitchens Blog?

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB

• awm03
    14 years ago

I think blues, grays & greens in all their variations & combinations work really well with golden oak.

Here is BM Paladian Blue:

And here's a composite shot showing the new Olive paint in the foyer & the golden oak bannister. Frankly, I think the Olive would have been better if it had been a shade yellower.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Greens look really good with honey oak. I also like medium toned beiges with oak.

• jenniferdoc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks to you all...the photos are especially helpful!

to answer the question, my countertops are white.

• awm03
    14 years ago

What is the floor like? That could dictate the wall color.

• johnmari
    14 years ago

We did BM Monroe Bisque walls and off-the-shelf-white trim for my previous house when we put it up for sale in '07 (these are from the listing photos, which is why the room is so stripped of accessories). My camera was old then and skewed/skews a bit pink - the Monroe Bisque couldn't have gotten any "neutraller", it's neither as pinkish nor as yellow as it may look in these photos. Not to my personal taste but it did get a lot of compliments. Originally the trim matched the cabinets.

{{gwi:1537464}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{gwi:1537463}}

• User
    14 years ago

Here's a couple of pictures, we're still a work in progress, and the lighting isn't the best, these are the best I have. It has a nice glow in the morning sun and if you like Sunflowers, it's a perfect match. LOL

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• burnGirl
    14 years ago

Our kitchen cabinets are similar colored but maple, we have SW Clary Sage and I'm loving it, also got lot of compliments from friends and family. Sorry dont have a pic handy at this moment to show.

• momto4boys
    14 years ago

We have BM Lenox Tan.
    But, in our case..I dislike the oak a LOT. And can't wait to paint the cabs.
    We tried red for awhile. I loved the walls, but hated what it did for the cabinets. Which was NOTHING.

I've seen some really pretty greens and blues with oak.

• kellyjb-1730
    14 years ago

I think we have the exact same cabinets. Right now my kitchen (and the whole house really) is builder beige. Wondering if Baby Turtle would look good with the oak?

• User
    14 years ago

Kelly, I can't say that I've seen BM Baby Turtle in an oak kitchen before but I haven't seen an oak/green combination I haven't liked yet. The two go together very well.

• elle3
    14 years ago

Olive greens go great with oak--olive branch BM comes to mind. I think Baby Turtle (great color!) would also look super. A friend of mine did a warm brown with her oak cabinets and it looks great also.
    A lot will depend on your counters and floors...

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Here's a thread from a while back with similar situation, see what suggestions she got!

Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Oak cabinets and greens

• jenniferdoc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

loving all the suggestions!! THANKS!! I'm new to the forum, does Baby Turtle have some kind of addictive quality? it seems to be ALL the rage :)

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

BM grey owl with white dove trim is my vote. it is a soft pale grey with a green undertone.

• awm03
    14 years ago

jenniferdoc, just wanted to make sure you saw this thread. Not sure how you feel about cool colors, but I think the results are terrific:

Here is a link that might be useful: credomk's golden oak trim and new wall colors

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

Jenn

Not sure if this was suggested yet, but - I would def consider something in the terra cotta/orange family - honey oak has orange undertones.

here's a nice color not sure what the brand/name is
    http://www.fitzdecarts.com/images/Interiors%20+%20Projects/024.JPG

I would paint the crown & base white & chair rail same as wall color unless you are applying beadboard - so as to not break the wall up.

ANother nice hue by Devine pain
    http://blog.devinecolor.com/images/86.jpg

This would make the cabinets not stand out & be a focal point rather be a little subdued -

See how the wood is blending w/paint color in the "happy family" pic
    http://cdn-write.demandstudios.com/upload//1000/200/70/5/111275.jpg

Link to My3dogs, very talented decorator on GW - don't know if the color works for you application
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1013001522136.html

Find your colors - get sample paints - paint either directly on the wall LARGE 10 x14 or so, near cabinetry in several places - look at it in different lighting/times of day photo it - you'll get lots more help

best to you

• credomk
    14 years ago

Here's Baby Turtle in our guest room, with golden oak woodwork.

Here's another picture, showing how different the paint can look from a different angle:

I'd say the true color is somewhere between the two. :-)

• dk4mich
    14 years ago

I also have white countertops. They are actually Corian, but I can't remember the name -- they are white with specs of gray.

I can't find a picture on my computer, but I will take one tomorrow and try to get it posted.

FYI, my adjoining Family Room is painted in Behr's Dried Chervil (sp?). It is green and compliments the yellow very nicely.

• Barbara Milligan
    5 years ago
    I painted on wall a dark gray (gray tabby) and the rest of the walls a beige (tawny) since they wrap around into the family room.