Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
credomk_gw

painting update - before and after pictures (pic heavy)

credomk
14 years ago

Well, we've finished most of the painting. We moved into a house with all builder white walls two years ago, painted the kids' rooms, their bathroom, and guest room, and lived with the rest of it for a long time. Finally a month and a half ago we started painting. (You have have seen my post agonizing about selecting colors.) Here are some before and afters. :-) (Sorry for the fuzzy pictures. Not sure what was going on with my camera. They're also huge.)

Note: We were working under constraints of outdated furniture, golden oak woodwork, and a carpet that has an odd undertone (not visible in the pictures). These aren't necessarily the colors I would have chosen in a perfect world, but I'm happy with them until we update furniture/carpet.

Fireplace wall before:

Fireplace wall after:

Front/play room before:

After:

Office before:

After:

Foyer before:

Foyer after:

Two-story foyer after:

(Still playing with basket ideas for ledge.)

Stairway wall before:

After:

Entry corner before:

Entry corner after:

I don't have any good full-on shots of the kitchen--didn't have time to make it presentable. :-) I'll do those in a separate post someday to ask for accessorizing suggestions. Same with the master bedroom and bathroom.

Thanks for reading, and for all those who helped when I was debating paint colors!

Colors used: BM's Smoky Mountain for main areas, BM's Desert Shadows for accent color on stairway walls, and RH's Silver Sage (color matched) for office.

Comments (26)

• jjam
    14 years ago

Wow, what a difference!! I think your colors are all beautiful, and really look great with the woodwork. Excellent choices and your hard work shows. Well done.

• oopsie913
    14 years ago

really looks great, love the foyer color and the new furniture as well.

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

The after looks awesome. I love the entry corner. What colour is that?

• credomk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! The new table in the foyer made a huge difference for me. :-)

Mariposa, the color in the entry is Benjamin Moore's Smoky Mountain. The color in the office, adjacent to the entry, is color-matched to Restoration Hardware's Silver Sage.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

Your afters look great! I really like the changes in the foyer.

• jlc712
    14 years ago

Nice choices! It looks great. You have been working hard!

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Beautiful work and what a great selection of colors to work with your existing woodwork and furniture. You can tell that a lot of thought and consideration went into your choices, and they are magnificent!!

• les917
    14 years ago

Great color choices - rich and interesting!

• loribee
    14 years ago

Wonderful job...your home is lovely.
    I especially like how you accessorized the mantle.

• cattknap
    14 years ago

You have made beautiful choices in paint color...you have a good eye for decorating too. Love the entry table - perfect for that space.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

You have a talent for accessorizing! Great job with the color choices- they really made the most of the "unchangeables".You have a lovely home.

• barb5
    14 years ago

Lovely!

Your accents of the black furniture, silver frames and lamps, and the ?sea green of the matting in your foyer art, really set off the wall colors you have chosen.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Oh, I remember this from before when you were asking about paint colors! Spectacular!

• awm03
    14 years ago

I can't get over how much more character your home has now. You've really turned it into something special. Wonderful color selections!

• credomk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I can't take too much credit for the color selections, as we did hire a designer to help out with that part, but I'm really pleased with how it turned out. We put a LOT of time and effort into the painting! We still have the mudroom (needs to be repainted--the Wedgewood Gray selected for that room ended up looking much too blue), the powder room, and the laundry room to do; I'd love to get those done before Christmas. And I will definitely be asking for some help with accessorizing in our bedroom, especially...once I get it cleaned up enough to take some decent pictures. :-)

Thanks again for all the positive feedback. It makes the whole process worth it. You have all been such an incredible help and support group!

• kathec
    14 years ago

I agree with the previous posters, great colors and they work so well with your space. I see this and think, why neutral? Even though the colors are on the cool end, your woodwork keeps it warm.

Great job. I envy all the smooth walls. I live in builder texture land, sigh.

Kathe

• awm03
    14 years ago

The interesting thing is how the colors make the oak look fresh and contemporary. Your fireplace wall is fabulous.

• Robbi D.
    14 years ago

I love the colors! I was at the paint store getting paint for my bathroom and the lady commented how more and more people are using more dramatic colors.

• dfzmom
    14 years ago

Nice colors! Very serene. I have to ask, where did you get that little red play kitchen? So cute!

• credomk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dfzmom, we got the kitchen two years ago--I think it was from One Step Ahead. Costco had a nearly identical one last year, but I haven't seen if they have it this year. It's by KidKraft, and when I did a quick google search just now for red play kitchens, it looks as though several sellers are carrying it this year.

• jant
    14 years ago

Being a "white woodwork" girl, I can't believe how great that stained woodwork looks with those colors. They just really enhance the wood. Nice, very nice. :)

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Very, very pretty!

• credomk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

JanT, I'm a white woodwork person myself; if I'd had my druthers, we'd be painting all the trim and the built-ins, as well as the kitchen cabinets. But, DH was right about the cost and effort and time that would have taken, so I'm very happy we ended up with something that makes the stained woodwork look good. :-)

• clyft
    14 years ago

credomk,the colors look great. Is the BM Smoky Mountain used on the fireplace wall too?

We have a ton of natural woodwork (came with the home, I prefer white woodwork) that I have been trying to design around. I agree with the other poster who says the colors make the woodwork feel a bit more contemporary, something that I've been looking for. Thanks!!

• meghnjosh
    14 years ago

Just beautiful...I really love how the BM blues have turned out in your home.....Now u're inspiring me to try more blues in my space.....

• credomk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Clyft, yes, the Smoky Mountain is on the fireplace wall, as well as through the living room, the foyer, the upstairs hall, and the kitchen. It really does well with the natural woodwork and the neutral-with-green-undertones carpet that we had to work with. When we first sampled it I was afraid it looked rather stodgy and dated, but once it was on the walls it has enough of a grayed-out cast to it to look contemporary. In some lights it looks much more blue, and in some it looks green.

Meghnjosh, good luck with your blues! I actually didn't want to go with blue, but this was definitely the choice that worked the best with the other requirements we were working around. And it has enough gray and green in it that it works for me. The Wedgewood Gray that we did in the mudroom (no pictures) is too blue for me; we'll be changing that when we have time. At least it is still better than the dingy white it was before!