Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Guest Room Bed Dilemma!

lynninnewmexico
10 years ago

For the past 5 years or so, I've had a daybed in our guest room with a separate trundle for overnight guests. But, I've come to HATE the daybed! It is never used as a sofa, as it's too high, although the cover and back pillows make it comfortable and practical enough. Also, our adult son dislikes sleeping on it because he bumps his head and arms on the oak back and sides

I've originally thought that a sofa bed might work better, but it won't in this particular room, which has 5 walls (long story). The room also acts as my study the majority of the time. I have a very comfortable, great looking leather easy chair, end table with a good reading light that I use if I'm not working at my (large oak roll-top ) desk.

What I'm thinking might be the best possible solution is to get rid of the day bed and buy one of these higher-end inflatable beds, such as this one that I saw in Frontgate's catalog:

It would easily store in the guest room's walk-in closet. It inflates in less than 3 minutes; has a steel frame and 16 legs for extra sturdiness and stability; has an 8 1/2-inch mattress ~ that I'd add a good quality mattress topper to it for extra comfort; and, it's high enough off the ground to be comfortable and practical. The newest model also comes with a "quiet, constant comfort pump" to keep the mattress inflated properly. Here's a link to the Frongate site for it with more details, if you'd like more info:
"Frontgate's EZ Inflatable Guest Bed"

Questions:
1) the bed has superior customer ratings but have you slept on one or do you own one? How was it?

2) is the constant comfort pump quiet enough not to disturb sleep or do you turn it off at night?

*Any more info or opinions would be a great help! We're expecting our son and his girlfriend home here for Christmas and I'd love to have a better sleeping situation for them by then.
Thanks!
Lynn

Comments (9)

• User
    10 years ago

I haven't slept on that exact one but I have slept on several different brands of inflatable beds. Everyone has been a wonderful sleep. We have one that isn't raised but it is very deep. We slept on it for 15 nights this past Spring and it was a great sleep every single night. It has a very nice comfort top to it and DH and I both commented that it was better than our bed at home. My brother had a high end inflatable mattress on his fold out couch instead of the one that came with itâ¦he paid to have the inflatable instead. It was great and I slept on it for weeks at a time for several years when I stayed at his place in NYC .DH was with me on several occasions and again commented on how comfortable it was. I can't imagine that the one you are looking at would be any less wonderful. Sounds like a more practical solution for you and also no one is going to be using it for weeks at a time anyway. Only concern would be the pump. Can you ask online and see what the response is ? I know you can on Amazon. good luck . c

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

I really liked the daybed idea as a guest bed alternative. As a matter of fact, this is something I had considered myself. I'm disappointed to hear that you don't like it. Will you post a picture?

Personally, I think anything you have to set up and tear down is a pain. Been there, done that.

What about a different daybed that is more open? Would it be lower without the trundle?

• abbycat9990
    10 years ago

Such a timely post! Since moving this summer, we have been juggling furniture: getting rid of some; buying some new pieces, reworking room layouts... But the guest room/office/sewing uses have been a real pain to allocate between the two rooms at my disposal.

We currently have a futon for guests, but we need it so rarely that I almost hate to take up space with it. Getting rid of it would give me lots of options.... I didn't know about these wonder beds - THANKS!

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I have the older version of the Frontgate bed in queen size. I use a quilted cotton mattress cover under the bottom sheet to alleviate the feeling of sleeping on plastic. I think a foam topper would add a lot of comfort, too. Everyone who has slept on it has said that they were comfortable. My 6' nephew prefers the pull-out couch, though. He said that the inflatable feels small to him even though the couch and the inflatable are both queen-sized. Personally, I think he just likes to sleep in the room with the big screen television.

The ease with which the Frontgate unfolds and inflates and deflates and folds up is awesome. I had an Aerobed before and the Frontgate version is much, much more convenient.

I'm sorry that I can't speak to the constant comfort pump as that is a new feature.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I've slept on that bed. The one I used didn't have the constant-comfort pump, but the pump it had was quiet and adjusting the firmness was easy.
    For me, it was OK, but it wasn't something I would want to sleep on for a week. I found the unsupported edges uncomfortable to sit on and I couldn't sleep near the edge.....something I sometimes needed when sleeping with my GD. : )
    If you buy it, definitely purchase a foam cover or some other topper since the first time I slept on it felt as though I was sleeping on an ice block. The air in the mattress is room temp and the mattress cover had no type of insulator.

But, that's just my opinion.............DIL has enjoyed owning it and takes it on camping trips so she and her daughter can use it vs sleeping bags. But, she makes sure there's a thick cover on top of the mattress.

Have you looked into the daybeds made for XL twin mattresses?

This post was edited by annz on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 14:50

• durango118
    10 years ago

During my visits back east, I stayed with a family member who had one of these from Frontgate. It didn't have the constant comfort pump though. My husband and I both slept on it very comfortably. If I had the need, I wouldn't hesitate to get one myself. I didn't even realize it was a "portable" bed ....

• romy718
    10 years ago

We have one that is a good quality but not as nice as the Frontgate. We put a Novofoam topper on it and it is very comfortable. More comfortable than the mattress in pull out sofas. The fact that the Frontgate is elevated like a real bed is a huge plus. OOT family fight for that bed but I think it is the big screen TV factor.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all of your info. I appreciate it so much!
    Because of it and the overwhelming positive responses, I'm going for it. I've posted a pic of it on my FaceBook page, telling my friends that I want to sell it with the trundle and with or without the 2 pillowtop mattresses, custom fitted cover and bed skirt. DD did the same with her friends here locally. Most of them are now sophomores or juniors in college{{gwi:807}}, out of the dorms and in apartments now. I'm hoping I can get it all out of here quickly so that I can buy the Frontgate model before Christmas, as we're hoping DS and his girlfriend will be able to make it here for the holidays. Actually, I may buy the FG bed sooner and just keep my fingers crossed that I get the daybed sold soon (LOL)!
    Again, thanks for helping me make a good decision.
    Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 20:28

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just a quick update on my guest room bed dilemma. Thanks to the info and reviews you gave me, I went ahead and ordered the Frontgate airbed. It should be delivered here next week. And, I got it for 30% off with a coupon I found online at RetailMeNot.com! I was very hesitant to list it on CL, so I started telling my friends and neighbors about it. Second person I told bought it and is picking it up this weekend. I'm now planning the layout of my "new" guest room and am so glad for GW and you all here!
    Lynn