Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
polkadots_gw

Should I try Ellen Kennon paints?

polkadots
16 years ago

Hi. I was wondering if anyone can share experiences with these paints and why they are so different. I am worn out looking for paint to go in my foyer and great room. Both have med. stained oak trim and that is proving to be a real obstacle in finding something that looks good. I have tried all the usuals (SW Believable Buff, Whole Wheat, Camelback, Ivoire, Blonde, Restrained Gold, Tobacco Road, BM Pittsfield Buff, Powell Buff and various others that I have just looked at chips, not actually bought samples!). I am not finding anything that works right. In my space they are either too gold, too brown, too blah, good during the day, terrible at night etc. I do not have good lighting in these areas. Threedgrad suggested EK Mustard Seed and I am thinking about trying it and some others, but wanted to get some thoughts before lauching into more expense on samples. If I can't find something soon, I may end up with off-white!

Thanks for the help. I really thought that I would be able to find something that I like and that also enhances this woodwork, but I am losing confidence!

Comments (45)

• scottmel
    16 years ago

Funny you should post. I went thru the sAME torture a few weeks ago - sadly though I spent 75.00 on samples from BM. I was desperate for something to work! I was trying to go with a little punch of neutral without creme or white. EVERYTHING I tried I was getting too yellow, too brown, etc. I GAVE UP. ALMOST tried the EK Route and ended up just buying a gallon of BM NATURAL CREAM (OC-14) and the painter put it up today and I AM IN LOVE with this color. NOT yellowy creme, not light cream, definate color and just perfect! Depends if you want the walls to be colorful or not. I THOUGHT I did and when nothing was working I kind of realized that I did not want bright walls.....

• ummm
    16 years ago

what light blubs are you using? eg GE reveal? if not, you are probably getting color cast at night that could be why it looks terrible at night...

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

polkadots, a lot of people here have tried EK paints and have been happy with the colors and the quality. Ellen herself has helped many of us on here via phone or email with color choices.

What say you all?

• rich69b
    16 years ago

I love EK paint! In our last house, the foyer and DR with med. stained oak trim were painted EK Mustard Seed, and I really liked it.

I wish I'd remember how to post pics...

• graywings123
    16 years ago

Are you saying that you have test painted the area 9 times?

I don't think your problem is the brand of paint. I would fix the lighting problems first. I like EK paint, but there is no reason to think that full spectrum paint will solve your problem of getting the right shade, which seems to be the issue.

Have you thought about having a Ben Moore color consultation in your home?

• amysrq
    16 years ago

I am a big fan of EK paints, but I have a hunch that your problem is color. I think that finding a warm neutral color to coordinate with the oak trim is really tough. Have you thought of a soft green? Green flatters all woods and might be just the thing to go with your trim. It is my opinion that green is the ultimate neutral. Take a look at EK Lichen (cooler) or Sage (warmer). Reveal bulbs can also help. I use them everywhere.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Amy, I very much agree with you and have missed you. Have you been spending wonderful leisure time on the East coast while your fellow southerners have been enduring this heat? If you have, well congratulations. I would like to have done the same. Good having you back.

I was going to mention the dry sage but I am always the lone voice with green paints and oaks. :)

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Hi there Patricia! Thanks for the warm greetings. You will always have me for company in the oak and green conversation!

Spent the summer up north and just got home from 18 days in France. Big news is we are planning to sell and move to MA, full-time.

I have already located the EK/ICI dealer up there and look forward to a new set of decorating challenges and paint decisions! But, I am not much in the deco mode here anymore. I am on the forum today because I am jet-lagged and depressed about all the work I have to do to get the house ready to sell. :-( Procrastination is my middle name.

One interesting note about color and EK paints...everyone I talk to about getting the house ready to show says, "Keep the color!" The consensus is that my paint is part of what makes the house special. It has a certain vibe, and I tend to think the FS paints contribute to that feeling.

There are so many homes on the market right now and most of them are Builder Beige. Let's hope that my House O' Green (as HouseVixen once called it...miss her too!) will find me a buyer.

• dutchtreat
    16 years ago

In the Sept 2006 (I think) House Beautiful issue, they had a blurb about BM November Rain:

"We had just finished decorating a bungalow where we struggled picking paint colors because the owner had just stripped all the wood trim and didn't want to paint it. All the colors we picked changed totally in the presence of that orangey-light brown wood. A contractor finally told us about Benjamin Moore's November Rain-- it's a putty color, warm but not too warm, and it looked great everywhere we put it."
    Sharone Einhorn & Honey Wolters Benjamin Moore November Rain 2142-60

I've never seen this color in person, but the writeup sounded interesting. Good luck!

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Amy, that is exciting, first about your trip to France and second about your move to MA. I know you will miss your sweet house. It really is a sweet house. I love the colors, the art work and the way you made it become a piece of art.

Good luck to you and don't be a stranger. Do share with us from time to time how things are going.

I look forward to pictures of the new place with the new look you will give it.

• polkadots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all. Thanks very much for the input.

Graywings, I haven't actually painted the room, but I have sample quarts of all those colors and have painted poster boards. I have not had a BM consultation (don't think my dealer offers it). I have had a couple of decorators come take a look and they typically see some samples in a daylight situation, say "that should work" then are off. They don't see things in the different lights and are certainly not as engaged in it as I am. I would be content with a couple of options I have in the foyer, it's the great room that is the tougher one and unfortunately, that was a secondary discussion when I had the designer out.

ummm, graywings and amy, I know lighting is an issue. But I have huge ceilings and it is hard to get enough light. I will try some new lightbulbs. Do you like the Reveal over the halogen or CFL bulbs?

Amy and Patricia, I am also a fan of green with the oak. I already have BM Olive Branch in the kitchen and Dry Sage in the Dining Room (they are not right next to eachother so it works). I am not sure I want green throughout the whole downstairs, but maybe it is the right thing to do.

dutchtreat, I will definitely have to check that color out - it does sound interesting. Thanks!

Scottmel, I am going to pick up a chip of Natural Cream to take a look - so glad you found something you like!

rich69, if there is any way for you to post a picture, that would be great. There are several posts explaning how to do it. :)

Thanks everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting a Picture thread

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Hey amy! Comment ca va? As-tu passe de bonnes vacances? (last took French in college--it's all so vague now :))

Where did you go in France?

And of *course* they're going to say keep the color! You're famous on the EK site--just saw your pics a few days ago! I'll send good energy for a full-spectrum-offer :)

dutchtreat, another color in that same line is Titanium. We have it and it's a gorgeous subtle fog...the BM sales/designer lady saw my choice and said "oh, I never really thought about that one before but I think I'll start using it--I love it!" She had previously used Camouflage as her default neutral, but Titanium is really interesting and great with woods (a little cooler than Camouflage, a little brighter than November Rain -- I just couldn't bring myself to buy that for my SAD-challenged husband out here in the PNW :))

• rich69b
    16 years ago

EK mustard seed with oak trim

• polkadots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rich69, thanks so much for posting the picture! I appreciate it - it looks great and gives me a very good idea of what mine might look like. Thanks!

• Happyladi
    16 years ago

Rich69, That mustard seed looks wonderful with your trim. What a warm and inviting entry you have.

Scottmel, I looked at oc-14 at the BM website. It looked a little gray to me. It certainly does not have any yellow tones. Does it have a grayer look on the walls, too?

• rich69b
    16 years ago

Thanks, happyladi.

Polkadot, I forgot to mention that our old MBR was painted EK sage, and it looked really nice, too. Sorry, don't have a pic to share, gone to la-la land when my computer crashed:( Now, I copy everything on a disc. Learned my lesson.

• debbiedoes
    16 years ago

I'm another EK fan. Love your Mustard Seed, Rich! Polkadot, Ellen will help you select a color for no charge via phone and email. That alone is worth it! Just email her a photo and she'll either email you back with some suggestions or set up a time to talk over the phone. Also, there's a 'blog sale' going on I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ellen's Blog (for latest sales)

• Michael
    16 years ago

amy,

you're moving from FL to MA?

Where should I send your blankets? :)

Michael

• scottmel
    16 years ago

Maybe it is not OC-14 for NATURAL CREAME but natural cream is definately the name! It is an OC BM color that I know. NO YELLOW AT ALL. The warmest color you can imagine. I sound like an informerical for this shade but you have NO IDEA the time and effort that went into this paint selection. I would call it VERY WARM PUTTY - deeper shade..not at all like the color suggests from an off white palette. I snubbed the off white palette initially b/c I wanted something with life, etc. NOT WHITE! Boy was I wrong, many colors on on this OC chart from BM..

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

I used EK paint in a few rooms in my previous home.

EK Lilac in the Princess Room (see Princess the cat on the bed):

EK Mustard Seed in my bed alcove in the attic bedroom:

This last one was based on EK Summer Sky but I mixed in some other colors since I did not have much of the color left. I mixed in lots of white, some black and another blue.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

I love that Mustard Seed foyer Rich69! Really wonderful. I think that because it is a color, not a neutral, it works in a way that all those beiges and tans just won't.

As for a creamy white, when we were doing this house, I was stumped about what to do in the kitchen. DH said "How 'bout white?" I was aghast! But I was also tired and didn't want to make one more choice. We used EK Classic Cream and I actually love it. I always thought of off white as a non-color/non-choice (sorry to those whom this statement may offend!) But, sometimes, even in a house where color reigns supreme, off white has it's place.

Hey Flyleft. Ca va bien! Quick answer: Paris, barging in Burgundy, Dijon and a few days in Toulouse. It was a fabulous trip. First trip w/out DD. She stayed home with my Mom and they seemed very happy.

Yes, Michael, those blankets will be necessary! And boots and coats and and and.... I've never lived further north than PA and grew up in MD. We are being sucked into my DH's family vortex. I am very happy about it all, but nervous about the winters. I AM looking forward to a down time in the garden though. I love to garden, but after five years struggling to keep the jungle at bay, I will welcome an off season.

• polkadots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Threed, thanks for the additional pictures. Love the colors!

Debbie, I saw that Ellen does consultations...but I need to order samples first then if I don't get paint from her it's $200/hour. That scares me since I have had so much difficulty finding something. I might order the samples...

Amy, I saw some of your spaces (I think) on the EK website - beautiful. I love your green! Here are a few pics of the spaces I am trying to tackle, FYI. Thank for the input. Looks like a lot of people here are happy to see you again. :)

• dutchtreat
    16 years ago

Wowza, Rich69! That Mustard Seed looks great! I really hope you go with it, Polkadots. Are you definitely doing the same color in both rooms, or is there a natural break so that you could do another EK color in the great room?

Flyleft, I'll have to keep Titanium in mind for the area for which I clipped the November Rain blurb. Brighter sounds good. I suspect DH would be SAD also if we lived in the PNW:)

Nancy

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

polkadots, what you will love about Ellen's colors is that they blend so beautifully from one room to another. Get the samples and then send Ellen via email the photos (or links to photos) of every space you are painting. Ask her what color to paint what, where to stop paint, etc. Email her closeups of important tilem flooring, furniture, window treatments, etc.

Can't wait to see what you decide!!

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of my kitchen in EK Edgewood Green. Ceiling is painted the same as per EK's suggestion. Order samples as suggested. I emailed her pictures with closeups of the wood and granite and the exposure of that particular room, i.e. NE. She pulled them up on her computer as we aere talking. All of that is taken into consideration with Ellen. You will not feel rushed talking with her. She is patient and will answer questions and give you her honest opinion. Worth it!

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

Hey there amy -- was just thinking about you as I need to return something to you.

But what am I hearing? Have you been converted from a Farrow and Ball aficionado to an Ellen Kennon person paintwise?

• rich69b
    16 years ago

Oh, wow, Polkadot! After looking at your foyer, I'm more convinced (and more excited!) for you to go with Mustard seed- no pressure here;)
    It will make your entrance more "entrancing":)

• amysrq
    16 years ago

I am with rich69...think you should give the Mustard Seed a try, especially since you were leaning in that direction anyway.

Rococo, hi there. Yes, there is room in my life for lots of paint! And, I do adore F&B. And C2, too. But, EK was my first foray out of the Ben Moore world and I remain happy with the results. I'd never put F&B Estate Emulsion in a high use location, for instance. But the EK in my kitchen has proven durable and washable, even behind my espresso machine.

• polkadots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all. I called down to EK a couple of times today, but couldn't get anyone live. I'm hoping to get some samples ordered tomorrow.

kmcg85, thanks for the kitchen pics - I love your house! Can you tell who makes/where you got your kitchen table and chairs? I really love those chairs - nice classic style without being boring. Also, I am still contemplating using the Tobacco Road, but not convinced it is right in my space. Thanks for your help. If I could just paint this woodwork, my troubles would disappear.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Well, have you considered painting the woodwork?

I am looking at homes in an area where natural wood trim seems to be the norm. Painting it will be my first job. Unless, of course, there are popcorn ceilings! I have vowed never to live with popcorn again!

Don't worry, Ellen will get back to you. Things can get crazy there, but she is very good.

Also wanted to suggest Lichen as a not so green green. Depends on your exposure, but it might work in the living room area. (or fam room, or whatever it is)

• polkadots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Amy. Well, I'm in that "I kind of want to paint the woodwork, but feel like I shouldn't" mode because once you do it you can't go back (plus I am seeing more stained woodwork these days in high end homes). DH doesn't want to, of course. I think if it was a different color, it would be much easier to work with. Bottom line, we have a lot of nice trim and crown molding and I'm sure it would look so awesome and updated painted, but in a way I have taken it as a challenge to make the house look as good as it can while working with the woodwork. We'll see. We don't have popcorn. In this area we have nicely textured ceilings with almost a starburst pattern to them.

I'll look at Lichen. Thanks.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

I know what you mean about the "final" nature of painting wood. I painted over cherry paneling in my first home. Took me a long time to get there, and DH was not happy about the idea, but it turned out to be a good thing. If you can work with your wood trim (and I do think it looks good in your home) then you are taking the path of least resistance. Leaves more energy/$$$ for other decorating projects!

Lucky you...no popcorn. It was standard here in FL when my house was built. I should have had it all scraped off when we renovated part of the house. Just didn't want to bother. Our summer house has popcorn, too! There's no escaping it!

We plan to sell both places and consolidate to one home...with no popcorn!! Oh, and painted trim! ;-D

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

Polkadots, thanks for the compliments! The kitchen table came from Arhaus Furniture. They have a website. It is the Tuscany collection and the chairs are from the Anduze collection. They are a rubbed black wheatback chair.
    Refresh my memory about where you wanted the TR? It is such a great color! The family room is right next to the kitchen, and I like the way the Edgewood Green looks next to it.

• polkadots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks kmcg85! They are actually having a good sale now. I will have to stop in our local store to take a look. Are you happy with the durability?

I was considering the TR for my great room, pictured above. Then I need a coordinting color in the foyer. Both the foyer and the kitchen (painted in BM Olive Branch) open to the Great Room. I just order a set of samples from EK, so we'll see what those look like. Thanks for the help.

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

I got mine at a great sale in Feb. The lowest price I have seen it. Yes, I am happy with it. Have you considered Plantation Beige for the foyer? Or EK's Cognac. But that might be too much like the oak color, maybe. Not sure. Anyway, let us know when the samples arrive!

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of my EK Mustard Seed at night. I love the color and so do all of my guests. They always comment on the paint color!

a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

• polkadots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hoyamom, that is a gorgeous room! Thank you so much for posting the picture. It looks like such a wonderful space to sit and enjoy time with family and friends.

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

Hoyamom, your living room is beautiful and a pleasure to see.

Amy, sounds like a lot of wonderful changes are in store for you. Good luck with the house hunt. I'm sure you'll enjoy living in your new community, winters and all.

You might be interested in an update -- I'm repainting my kitchen and planning to go with Farrow and Ball House White in there as it's a dead-on match to my kitchen cabinets and marries with the tile backsplash. Planning to use the modern emulsion, their equivalent of semigloss.

I've been so pleased with the F&B Green Ground in our guest bedroom I'll be using that in our apartment as well. F&B paints are not advertised as full spectrum but I've been amazed by the color shift throughout the day and since the color isn't too intense, I'm ok with it.

Also repainted our front door. In fact, the whole front of the house was redone with Fine Paints oil base. Wow, what a differencee. I finally have the lacquered door surface and soft color I've been wanting.

• tanders
    16 years ago

OOOOOH! That door is GORGEOUS!!

• amysrq
    16 years ago

rococo, just spent time in France, drooling at the glossy doors, among other things. Your door is gorgeous! Is is ZuderZee? (or whatever...I can't remember exactly the blue I looked at for the cabs in MA) Did you get the door kit? Did you DIY?

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

That door is beautiful. It almost looks glazed. What color is that?

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

kmcg and hoyamom: Beautiful rooms. Truly.

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

It's Zuider Zee blue (scroll down) from FPE. It's the light Delft/Federal blue. I'd seen it on doors in Boston.

I used it first as an accent color on the screen door (below). This door has been outside for a year and looks brand new. It has inserts so I spent a long time with them in the basement last winter. The trim around the screen door looks a bit flatter as it hasn't yet been done with the FPE white.

The high gloss is what I wanted for all the doors and was well worth bothering with the oil-base. The water based exterior paint was mildewed and the wood was bleeding through it. No priming, just roughing the surface and 2 coats of the oil-base.

Didn't buy the door kit -- just 1 pint of white, 1 blue and their thinner -- I have enough left over to do the back door as well (next spring).

(Painter did the front door as it had to come off the hinges.)

On the screendoor pic below -- if the inside door was the blue do you think it would make the outside white and blue pop or should I keep the inside white as well? (The paint on the screendoor looks green but it is exactly the same as the front door! Which tells us something about photos).

Trust I'm not hijacking this thread -- I believe the OP had the info she wanted.

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

I'd rather see the inside door be blue. Not necessarily because of the pop, but because I like it and I like the consistency with the other door. The blue is wonderful--the color I tried to achieve in my very first house, but never quite did.

• rococogurl
    16 years ago

thanks kd and hi to you. I was thinking consistency as well. My second try at the color, too.