Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cliff_and_joann

Thank You Deb, (dlm2000) I painted my chandelier :)

cliff_and_joann
15 years ago

Deb, Thank you for you encouragement and inspiration. If it wasn't for your posting of your beautiful paint job on your kitchen lights, I wouldn't have had the courage to do mine. Also thanks for the color recommendation.

So far we did the dining room brass chandelier and a brass light I had on top of my tv mantle. Now I'm trying to decide it I should do my brass lights on my fireplace?

I have a fan in the room that's antique bronze, so I think

it would be ok. I'll post a pic later after we hang it.

Joann

Comments (26)

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, this is ther painted chandelier. It's hard to get a good shot with the light comming through the door in the background.

Here is a close-up

Here is my next decision...I was planning on painting my two FP lights as well...Hubby started to take the stuff down to remove the lights and spray them, and I said, wait until I take a before shot! This is the before shot, I have since changed my mind again??? Do I do it or not? Please give me your opinions.
    mythreedogs, here is a close-up shot of the walnut mantle, with no stain, just our homemade finish mixture on it, and then 3 coats of butchers wax.
    Getting back to the lights -- paint or not?

• nhb22
    15 years ago

OK, I must have missed the thread from dlm2000 on painting light fixtures. I am really interested in this, because my DD's new/older house is full of shiny brass light fixtures and they cannot afford to replace them. I was wondering if they could be painted.

cliff_and_joann - You chandelier looks wonderful! Do you have a before photo?

Also, could someone lead me to the other thread? Thank you!

• dekr8
    15 years ago

Joann that looks great! I'd like to see the before too.

Here's a link to the other thread nhb requested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painting Chandy Thread Scroll Down

• dekr8
    15 years ago

oh Joann's before pic. is on that thread too!

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here it is newhomebuilder...yes they can be painted. First they have to be taken down and scruffed up with a scruffy pad. We then washed them down with alcohol and a rag to get off the dirt and grease. Then paint according to directions. It was easy. I used the same paint as Deb.

My old shiny brass chandelier is in the aforementioned thread :)
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0823401927244.html

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Joann it looks fabulous!!! So glad I could give you the nudge to do this. Sometimes all it takes to go a bit beyond our comfort zone is a chearleader. I need one on retainer!

I have those identical sconces but took them down several years ago - they're in a storage box should the need ever arise.....

I re-read the old thread and noticed your comment about shiney brass making a comeback once you finally paint yours. IMO, brass is never totally out of fashion - but I'd say the same about any metal. One metal may be more in the spotlight at any given moment, but you use what you love - shiney brass, antique brass, bronze, silver, nickel - they're all beautiful. But don't look now..... shiney brass is turning up as the new warm metal in the decor mags!!!

• cheryl217
    15 years ago

I have three shiny brass heart shapped candle holders that I can't part with. My sister-in-law passed away after she gave them to me. I have to try this hammered paint. Thank you ladies!!!

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

haaaaaa, I knew it....the new magazines that hit the stands Monday morning will have -- "Brass Chandeliers Making a Big Comeback!" :)

Thanks to you I dove in and did it. I'd like to see more photos on this thread of others that painted their chandeliers or lights. I also did my bathroom coach light, and it looks great.

We really love the 'new' look to the old chandelier. It fits in so much better with all our dark wood. Even hubby says he loves it, it's like...rich and luxurious looking.

This is a lamp my Dad gave me...Yesterday it was brass :)
    I broke the white plastic sleeve that goes over the candle.
    I plan on making a new candle sleeve, however in a tan or parchment color.
    Thanks again Deb, for the shove in the right direction.
    I can't stop looking at my new chandelier! :)

• decor64
    15 years ago

I want to change my brass chandeliers to bronze also. Just wondering how you painted the chain.

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We took the chandelier outside and hung it upside down from the pergola with string. The chain was attached, so we sprayed the chain as well.... We used an entire can of Rustoleum dark bronze hammered paint -- on both the chandelier and the little lamp... We kept giving it several thin coats of paint. We followed the direction on the can... it said, if you don't give it a second coat within an hour, you must wait 48 hours between coats.
    We kept giving it coats, waiting about 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour between coats, until it was completely covered.
    It was not hard to do and went on nice and smooth, no drips.

Joann

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

That looks wonderful.

• User
    15 years ago

I have bottles of Sophisticated Finish and plan to use them on my brass and pewter chandie. I will post when I get it done . I hope it comes out as beautifully as Cliff and Joannes did !! I am not inclined to use spray paint unless I can solve the drip from spray nozzle problem...any tips ? Caroline

• brutuses
    15 years ago

The chandi and lamp are beautiful. You have given me the courage to tackle something like this.

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone. Caroline, what drips from the spray can?
    I didn't have a problem with any drips. Just hold the can back aways, and do light coats. I was afraid to do mine as well, and have been thinking about it for a long time before I finally said, 'what the heck!'

• laurience
    15 years ago

Joanne,

The chandelier looks so nice. You did a great job. I also like the feel of your home. Very beautiful and warm.

Joanne

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Joann,
    It looks wonderful!!
    On the sconces, do you have brass anywhere else around the fireplace? If not, go for it.....It seems like the color would look nice on your stone fireplace.

Are those the shades you painted? You may have said....but what kind of paint did you use?

Smiles:)

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Joanne, :)

johna I bought the paint in Michaels. It was in small plastic bottles the price was cheap ( about 1.29 - 1.59 a bottle?) I think it was called craft paint, or fabric paint. I bought bronze, brown and gold.
    First lemme give you the entire story. These shades have been to hell and back. First I tea stained them in the sik, they look great when they were wet, however as soon as they dried, they just looked dirty....so then I dipped them in tilex and water to remove the tea stain, and was back to white. Then I painted them black (the inside as well) and they looked awful! I was going from bad to worse...So I said before I buy new ones, I'll give it another try. I then mixed the bronze and brown and painted the outside ( two coats with a brush) Then I painted the inside solid gold. My shades are a hard plastic inside and fabric on the outside. I can't believe the fabric held on with all the dipping I did, both with the tea stain and removing the tea stain.
    Here is a photo with the light out and no flash on the camera. This is the way it looks without the light on.
    I think it looks good, both with the light on and with the light off.
    Now about the FP lights. I am a little hesitant, cause I'm worried the bronze will disappear against the stone. So now I am thinking of spraying a rag with the bronze paint and wiping it on lightly to allow some brightness to come through??? any thoughts on this? Nothing else in the room is brass. Our FP doors are black.

• User
    15 years ago

I have a huge problem with the paint dripping right at the nozzle all over my fingertip...then a fine mist of droplets ends up going on whatever I am spraying as well as on my hand etc...I must be a Klutz !! Supposedly there is something you can get to put on top of spray cans as an adapter so you don't have to wear out your finger and also to eliminate this problem. Didn't see it at Lowes.

I just love those shades. I looked at different places and they are so expensive...like 13.00 a piece. I need to look harder I guess. You did a GREAT job...everything ya'll touch just turns out so nicely. c

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

trailrunner what you're looking for is available at most good paint stores - probably not at the big box. I've also seen it at Hobby Lobby so it may be available at a Michaels or Joannes. If you can't find it, scoot your finger tip back on the sprayer a bit - it's the overhang of your finger and/or nail causing the drips - BTDT! And keep switching hands back and forth as one gets tired.

• User
    15 years ago

thank you DLM...we have Hobby Lobby. My L hand is getting arthritis in that pointing finger joint so I will need to get the adapter and learn to use R hand...THANK YOU !

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Caroline Home Depot has the nozzle trigger for spray cans as well. I think it was 9 bucks at most. I used it to paint my love seat and everything else after that! I wish I had invented it.I also have arthritis and no way I can paint more than a tiny bit without it!
    the adapter fits securely to the top of the can. make sure the nozzle is facing outward ( yah dont laugh) and then just squeeze the trigger- it is easy on arthritic hands! I doubt you will need to use your other hands.
    They are plastic and in my store hanging on a post- or tucked on a shelf.

• User
    15 years ago

Sue...and how do you know to double check that the nozzle is facing out ??:) sounds like me only I would have held it up to look in to see what was blocking the nozzle...LOL.

Thank you I will get it next time I am out . c

• zipdee
    15 years ago

Wow! Fantastic update, amazing what paint can do! Looks wonderful :)

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Joann, well they certainly survived hell just fine - in fact look great!! I am gonna try this on some I have. Thanks so much:) I am the same way...instead of throwing away something - I would rather try to tweak it & if I don't like it atleast I tried.

I like your idea of just dry washing the sconces to knock down the shine. There again, if it doesn't work....you know you tried. I think it would work, thou.

Smiles:)

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Joann if you're worried the bronze may blend into the stone too much, and your fireplace doors are black, why don't you do a black finish on the sconces? Or leave them as they are - they certainly don't look bad but they will look more rustic in black and with your stone may look a little more 'there', more weighty if you know what I mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum Aged Iron Textured Spray Paint

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Johna and Deb.
    The paint is still in a bucket along with the dropcloth sitting in my den... Here's my problem, I really like the lights and don't want to ruin them. Here is a pic of the FP (I just took it) This is with only the natural light from the windows. There are no lights on in the room or flash on the camera. The lights are more reflective and bright when the lights are on...however, they are mostly off, and certainly during the day, they are off...I keep going back and forth on giving them a wash with paint.
    I almost did it this morning and changed my mind again!?!

This is in the same room, I washed my frames with some paint and love how they came out. Ignore the clutter on the TV mantle, we have 7 grandkids and I need somewhere to put all the photos. The rest of the house,(except for a few in the LR curios) is photo free!...well, except for upstairs in the bedrooms...