Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpmg46

Painting Chandeliers...anyone?

mpmg46
15 years ago

I came across a post from a month ago about this, but no one had posted any pictures.

I'm hoping to paint our builder grade brass chandelier black, but don't know if I'm sure. I found a chandy that I like, so at least if I ruin this one, I have a back up plan, which makes DH feel much better about my plan. But I'd like to stick with painting and not purchasing at the moment.

I need to fill those first few days of the kids being back in school, so that I don't miss them constantly!! So if anyone has pictures of anything brass that they've painted, I'd be really appreciative.

Comments (22)

• natal
    15 years ago

Kathleen's wasn't brass, but she did paint it black.

Here is a link that might be useful: painted chandy

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

I've used black Rustoleum Hammered finish on all my brass light fixtures, towel bars and toilet paper holders in all our bathrooms with great success. I did all of them about two years ago and they still look great.

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you both.

Nanny-What does the hammered finish mean? Do you have any pictures that you'd be willing to share? Did you sand them down first or just start painting?

We are leaving for vacation tomorrow, but maybe I will take a picture of the one I'm thinking about doing and post it when we return. I always worry that I'm doing the wrong thing!

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

I painted my brass kitchen fixtures - used Rustoleum Dark Bronze paint. Used a rough scrubby sponge to break the laquer surface then cleaned and sprayed. The hardest part of spraying a chandelier is that you have to hang it and spray one light coat then when dry rehang upside down. Remember you can't turn a spray can upside down so it's hard to get all angles in one shot. And it's better to do multiple light coats so you don't get runs and drips. These aren't close shots but I think you get the idea. The color you chose is up to you but the process is the same.

BEFORE:

{{!gwi}}

AFTER:

{{!gwi}}

BTW - the hammered finish paint has a texture to it when it drys - a bit bumpy so that it reflects light and looks like - well like a hammered finish! I used it on a bench and it's great.

• dianar95
    15 years ago

I used the Hammered finish spray paint and it's great! Like Nanny I sprayed my towel bar, toilet paper holder and the lighting fixture - even the switchplates and receptacle outlets.

I did use another product on my shiny brass builder's grade chandelier. It's called Sophisticated Finishes and is available at Michaels. I chose the dark bronze color. It looks good - just brush it on (took 2-3 coats). I would have preferred to spray paint it with the Hammered Finish paint, but that would have required taking the chandelier down.
    HTH - Diana

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

dlm ...That looks fantastic...I have been wanting to do my brass DR chandelier for a long tome now, but I'm afraid of messing it up. Hubby said, so if you don't like the way it comes out, buy a new one...but that's not the point I love it, even though it's probably dated, but hey, so am I.
    If I knew it would come out like yours, I'd try it for sure.

Joann

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Joann really and truly, it's a piece of cake to do - I wouldn't lie! We have a work room in our basement so I didn't have to worry about making a mess with overspray but you could set up a sort of spray booth with cardboard if you need to. I know what you mean about being dated - personally and decoratively! If money were no object (does that ever happen???) I'd probably pick different style fixtures now but I don't hate these so I figured there's nothing to lose - my DH had the same attitude as yours. You can do this!!!

Deb

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dlm--Thank you so much for sharing! What a transformation! I can't wait to tackle mine now for sure once the kids are back in school. The idea about making a cardboard wall is a great idea too.

diana--you make it sounds so easy! I'll have to check out Michaels as well.

Thank you again everyone for your help!

• dgo1223
    15 years ago

I did use another product on my shiny brass builder's grade chandelier. It's called Sophisticated Finishes and is available at Michaels. I chose the dark bronze color. It looks good - just brush it on (took 2-3 coats). I would have preferred to spray paint it with the Hammered Finish paint, but that would have required taking the chandelier down.
    HTH - Diana

Diana, did you prime the chandy that you put the Sophisticated Finish on? That's the one reason I won't paint mine is that DH refuses to take it down, and I've always wondered if I could paint it with a small brush while still up. :)

Can you give me a little detail of the steps you did on it? TIA

• moegaff
    15 years ago

I've used Sophisticated Finishes on bathroom fixtures and there is a primer that you paint on first. It paints on sort of whiteish and dries clear like a glue would. It was easy to use and saves you the trouble of having to sand it first. Good luck!

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

I did my bathroom one with a black paint and a copper paint. It came good, but I'm so afraid
    of messing the DR one up and that's why I am hesitant.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Would you do this one? I don't dislike it, as a matter of fact I love it, especially since I painted the shades bronze and the insides of the shades gold. ... but I do love the the bronze color medals.

• crazyred11
    15 years ago

I want to paint a chandelier in my entry way but i'm not sure how to get it down. We tried to remove it but weren't sure what to do because of all the wires. Also it has those fake candle lights. Is there anyway we can replace those with regular lamp shades or am i stuck with them?

• User
    15 years ago

I want to coat this in an oiled rubbed bronze color too. I think the chandy is similar to Joann's. I will need to use the Sophisticated Finishes also as there is no way I can take it down. what do you think ?
    Joann how did you do the shades and where did you get them? Would mine look better with them too? THANK YOU !! Caroline

{{!gwi}}

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

Trailrunner. I bought the shades about 15 years ago they were white. I can tell you that the insides are a hard stiff material that I painted gold (with a brush) Then I painted the shades (fabric shades) black and didn't like it.
    I then bought brownish-bronze paint mixed in some gold and painted it. I brushed it all on... I love the shades now. I bought the paint in Michaels. It's craft paint and comes in small bottles.
    I've seen chandy shades in Linens and Things, Bed Bath and Beyond and Wallmart.
    Joann

• User
    15 years ago

Thank you Joann I am going to go for it. The rest of the room has dark metal lighting and so does the kitchen and DR> I am slowly changing them all. This is too expensive a chandy to get rid of. I am glad to see this thread. c

• teacats
    15 years ago

Me too! This is the bright brass chandelier that I want to spray ..... of course the table is usually naked -- and I DID clean the silver after this terrible photo! LOL!

• teacats
    15 years ago

For my inspiration photo -- go to page 38 of Charles Faudree's brand new book "Charles Faudree Interiors" ........ darker bronze or antqiue brass type of chandelier over a pretty dining table ......

Jan

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

I have the paint 'Rusteloum Dark Bronze' written down on my desk. I am currently involved in two woodworking projects, and when they're done I take the plunge too.
    I need to do the spray paint the two lights on my fireplace too.

You realize of course, and soon as we do this, brass will be back with a vengeance!!! LOL...
    Joann

• mpmg46
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How funny that this thread was resurrected! I just bought Rustoleum today and my DH will take my Dining Room Chandelier down this wknd for me to paint. I'm still nervous about doing it, but at least I've found a chandy that I like that's not too expensive if I make a big mistake! I love the shades as well and never thought of painting them. Brilliant idea!

• Snowberries
    12 years ago

I guess I am a bit behind on the brass being out of style but, I thought I'd try and paint my lamps and sconces that were brass. They came out beautiful!!! I wish I would have taken a pic before but I used Rust-Oleum in oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I thought I would try and if they didn't turn out ok then I would buy new ones, honestly I am so happy with them. I am now in the process of painting my brass chandelier that is pictured above, I have that identical one that cliff and joann has pictured.I will tell anyone interested to take it all apart first. I did the whole chandelier and then had to sand it and re-paint it. It was too hard to get even coats everything kept getting "overspray" on it, which in turn caused it to look very ruff and like a wrought iron appearance.I took it all apart and I am almost finished with it, I hope to get some pics up soon.