Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phobie_privett

Should I paint this??

Phobie Privett
11 years ago

I have this dining room set...(I will attempt to post a link...).

http://www.justforfurniture.com/Pedestal-Dining-Table-with-Empire-Design-Oak-Finish_i161238

I hate it, but it is in good shape. It's obviously very country and doesn't really match my other tradtional/transition things. I'm considering painting it black. It has ALOT of grooves and details and I'm wondering if the chairs would look ridiculous painted black. I'm afraid they will look to "bulky"? I know the table would look fine painted. I just don't know if it's even worth it to tackle painting something with so much detail.

Comments (12)

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I wouldn't. Painting it will not change the style of the set, and I don't think it will make you like it any better. If I were you, I'd sell this set and shop for one I liked better. I've seen some really nice dining sets from all eras in consignment shops locally at excellent prices.

{{!gwi}}

• storybookgirl
    11 years ago

paint the table and buy new chairs

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

Did you see tinker-2006 table ? I love the look..How about the look of the room you're putting it in?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1015410017381.html?26

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

Ha superchick! I just emailed a friend this morning with my hesitant cheap plan to paint a similar table and country-style chairs. I was going to do a black or ivory base and try the Rustoleum Countertop Transformations on the top since my top is laminate. But like suzannes mentioned it's still the same style and that's what I'm trying to get away from. Also I'm tired of dusting all the little nooks and crannies. I've found a new clean-lined style from both Dinec and Canadel that I really like but would have to special order and it would set me back about $7000 for table, chairs and credenza. I've searched for several years and just need to bite the bullet and buy it.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Just get a new (or new-used) set.

• Phobie Privett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just looked at Tinkers room. BEAUTIFUL!
    I really had my heart set on something black. But the more I think about it, I agree-It would just be the same style, different color and I probably wouldn't be happy with it. Not to mention all the work it would be to get those crannies painted. :(
    I don't currently have the funds for a whole new table set, and there aren't many consignment stores where I live. But I'll keep my eye out and maybe I'll come across a treasure...haha!
    Of course, leave it up to me to start a project 3 weeks before the holidays...UGH!

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

How about this look ?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://serendipityfurnishings.com/?p=2852

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I think the table would be fine, but you need new chairs. You might be able to find some inexpensively on CL.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

If you hate dusting now, it will be worse painted black. I wouldn't paint it black.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

Still trying to decide about mine..

I don't think I'd paint the top, but the base yes... the chairs are very country, but you can easily buy new chairs - used or new!

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

If you have the time, I'd say, go for it, including painting the chairs. I think they look great in that serendipityfurnishings link. Maybe in chalk paint in a color you like. It shouldn't be too much work because you'd go for the slightly shabby look.

Here is a link that might be useful: chalk paint images

• Phobie Privett
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think I have decided to forget it. The table would look good painted, but I'd still hate the chairs. So the hunt continues! I'm going to the big city tomorrow to see if I can find a bargain treasure! Thanks for the imput.