Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
61tinkerbell

Something old or something new? Pictures!

tinker_2006
11 years ago

First, hope everyone on the upper east coast will be okay!

Home from surgery on my hip, all went well... just tired of laying on my back for so long!

Yesterday, after my 3 month wait, my new breakfast room table arrived... I'm totally unsure if I even like it! The quality is okay (canadel) , but my old was definitely a higher quality (Lorts). I like the old table, but never loved the old chairs, plus it looks French Country to me, and I'm shooting for more "vintage cottage". The seats were too wide, and very uncomfortable, the new chairs are more comfortable, and have a more casual look that I think I wanted.

I don't like the color of the new top.. it's such a flat brown, no depth. I guess I like wood with a little red tone in it. Hard to pick from a small wood sample, but that is what I did. (Also, saw some on display, but the store is so dark, with all florence lights.. it never looks the same.

MY OLD

From Sideboard Makeover
From table
From table

The NEW

From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover
From Sideboard Makeover

Comments (55)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Ohhhh tinker, I love the older set, especially the chairs and table base. The newer one is a 'little more typical' whereas the older one more unique.

It seems you're wanting more of a cottage look~~how about adding white tie-on cushions to the chairs, and a larger table arrangement of white flowers?

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I do like the idea of using tie-on cushions if you keep the old set. I also meant to say that no matter what I or anyone else thinks-- if the chairs are uncomfortable on the new set, return the whole set. There's nothing worse than sitting in uncomfortable chairs-- it's bad enough in a restaurant. I just wouldn't tolerate it in my home.

So yes.. tie-on cushions, a lovely vintage pitcher with flowers-- you can achieve a fresh, relaxed breakfast room vibe with the old set! (and I LOVE rush seats!)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh boy... mixed reviews!!

it's the old seats that are uncomfortable, and although i like rush seats, my new dining chairs are rush, so that is the reason i went with wood seats on the new - which are comfortable.
    i really like the color of the old, and the old table - I don't love the chairs.
    I like the chairs on the new, just don't love the color or the table top as much... I'm okay with the base as I think it looks more cottagey.

It's not returnable... but now I have 2 table sets, one which I will sell.. if I can decide!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Mix and match! Have you tried the old table with the new chairs? As much as I love the old table and I usually don't support painting beautiful old things, you could paint the lower part of your old table like the new one if you can match the paint. Do love the new look though!

Take it easy and recover quickly.

• jenangelcat
    11 years ago

The first one isn't my style but I think it looks much nicer than the one (which would be more my style!) in that room.

• kitchentime
    11 years ago

I like the old & I like patty cakes' ideas!

• franksmom_2010
    11 years ago

What a gorgeous home! Everything is so pretty!

LOVE the old table, but if the chairs are uncomfortable, they've got to go.

I don't love the new table. It looks like a much lesser quality than the old. The new chairs are pretty, but I don't care for the dark stained seats.

I would keep the old table and paint the seats of the new chairs white or that pretty Robin egg blue. If you don't want to paint brand new furniture, I would add chair pads, maybe in a color from the rug or a neutral linen.

Or, you could sell the new set and just shop for new chairs that are a better match for your old table.

Can you show us a pic with the old table and new chairs?

• bac717
    11 years ago

I LOVE the 'old' table. I, too, would like to see the old table with the new chairs, along with seat cushions on the new chairs. If that doesn't appeal to you, there is always franksmom's suggestion to sell the new set and just buy new chairs to use with the 'old' table. I don't think you'd have any difficulty selling just the chairs from the old table.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Much prefer the old....looks classic good taste....the new looks a little like you bought it from a catalog. if the rush chairs are uncomfortable, buy cushions....that's what I did with my original Hitchcock chairs.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Another vote for the old one.

• deeinohio
    11 years ago

I really like your new set. It gives your room a lighter, fresher look. And,though the style of the chair may be "common", your room is not.

I am also all about the comfort when it comes to dining chairs. I must have sat in 40 or 50 different ones before settling on my kitchen chairs. Previously, I had chairs similar to your new ones, though they weren't wheat shield, but ladder back. The chairs were incredibly comfortable, and easy to clean.

I think you made a good choice. I also think your new table top color goes better with the rest of your house.

But, I do love your old chairs.:)
    Dee

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Whatever makes YOU happy is the best choice. In the grand scheme of life, it's just a table and chairs. And both are very pretty!

• tinam61
    11 years ago

I'm partial to your old set. But, if the chairs are not comfortable, I wouldn't use them. I'd try different chairs with the old table or try the new chairs with the old table. You might luck up and find a great set of antique chairs to go with the table. What I really love is that light!!

tina

• antmaril
    11 years ago

I LOVE the new set. I think it looks lovely - bright and airy. I have a similar set (same manufacturer). I have had it for many years and it is still like brand new.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

Ask yourself this...you got the new set for a reason...it is beautiful & refreshing looking. The old set is very pretty...I think this new set breathes new life into the room. Just my opinion, you know. Can you store the old set for a bit & see how the new one works for you?

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I think they both looked nice - the change to more white is very nice. Since the backs are straighter on your old set maybe that's what didn't feel comfortable. I do think theold set really made your rug and the set itself pop, where the new set mutes things around it.

• beachlily z9a
    11 years ago

A couple of years back we ordered Canadel chairs and buffet to go with our Italian travertine dining room table. The buffet was the primary problem. The wood top was too soft and it dented easily. On the chairs the finish wasn't even. We used them for a couple of years, gave them away and got "real" furniture. We are retired, few guests, no children in this house, ever.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I'm trying to like the new set, and I do like the chairs, but I don't love, love the table or the color. I'm glad I didn't give away my old set - even though I posted it on craigslist for $499, and when it didn't sell I offered it for free to any local Facebook friends - No takers!! It retailed over $6000.. I was shocked, but now I'm happy. I think when DH can get help, since I'm out of commission.. we'll try the table with the new chairs. If that works, I'll be happy - if not - I'll shop for different chairs or perhaps make cushions for them.

• Apolonia3
    11 years ago

Hi Tinker, so sorry you had surgery and hope you we will be completely well soon.

I LOVE your new set, very cottage style in my opinion. Makes me want to paint my new black set white! I hope you keep it all, it's gorgeous. You have done wonders with every room. Autumn

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Hi Tinker~
    I am so glad to know your surgery went well...so take care of yourself...do your PT and you will be good as new in a few weeks.

I happen to love the new set...it looks so much more "cottagey" than the old one. You know when you post on here, you are going to get so many different opinioins...but follow your heart...'cause you always do such a great job of decorating your homes!

Phoggie

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I can't believe the set didnt sell for $450-- I'd travel for that kind of a deal! And free? I am surprised.. but glad that it gives you time to change your mind if you go that direction.

I completely agree with Lizzie_grow. I think the new set gives the the room a whole new feel.. and I love that it complements but doesnt compete with your dining room. But, I agree, you need to ask yourself what you were looking for when you ordered it.. and has it been achieved.

The room looks great with both sets.. so all that matters is what you want.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Re:old furniture, why don't you paint the chairs and apron of the table, leaving the top as-is? It would be just as cottagey w/o spending the money, but making a little more work...a good winter project. I think it's JUST TOO PRETTY not to use it! ;o)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Can I be your friend, Tinker? Lol!

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

I can understand why you are torn about which set to use. I love the lines of your old set, especially the table. But I also love the look of the white in your room. Completes the look you are trying to achieve. If I were you I would try painting the base of the old table and adding cushions to the chairs? Hard decision. Sorry, no help here...

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

Wow, I love the old table and if you are in the greater Boston area ... Ummm, I'd love to purchase it if you don't want it. I feel sort of guilty saying that, because I'm not meaning to take it from you if you decide you want to keep it after all (somehow this feels like profiting from another's misfortune) but I think it would work perfectly in our house.

Tough choice, to find the combination of comfy chairs and lovely table is harder than it should be!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I keep coming back to this and am going to be the odd man out here. I love the looks of the old set best, but can understand not wanting to keep uncomfortable chairs.

Several have mentioned painting the bottom of the old table and using the new chairs. I would leave the old table as is (all stain) and try the new white chairs.

I love everything about your house. You have light walls, light rugs with subltle color, light breezy drapes, and in most of your rooms you have some stained furniture with a painted piece in some rooms. You have pulled that off so well!

Here is where I am going with this - the white base of the new set is "too white" against the rug. I love the look of the dark table against the lighter rug. But I think there would be just enough white on the chairs to "lighten things up". Even peeking into your living room with your light sofas and light rug, you have the stained table. Same in your DR. Hope this makes sense.

Tuesday

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Tinker, are you totally confused yet? Asking for an opinion is a 'risky business' since we all see thru different eyes. I hope you're able to make your decision which will be the *right* decision. The best of luck. ;o)

• annzgw
    11 years ago

I like both tables but I agree the brown of the second table just doesn't work with your other furniture and flooring. If you prefer that set then consider having someone refinish/paint the table top.

I really like the first table but, for me, it's the chairs that don't work. I can see where they'd be uncomfortable since they appear to have a deep seat, but the design of the back of the chairs is what throws everything off ....especially with the ladder-back chairs in the next room. Personally, I'd keep the first table and find new chairs, if the latest ones don't work with it.

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

I really like them both but I think the new table looks wonderful in your home and like it best

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My son came over and helped moved the old table back in... I just SEE and feel the difference in quality... not that the new is bad at all, it's not - it's a nice table, but not as nice as my old Lort's table. I'm going to sell the new...

Here is the old table with the NEW chairs.. I think it looks fine, can't say it looks "better". The new chairs aren't that much more comfortable, and think I might just make or buy chair cushions for the old. Thoughts?

What about both the dining room & breakfast room chairs having rush seats.. too much rush? I planned on cushions for the dining room, but now may have them in both rooms...

From Sideboard Makeover

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Tinker.. what i like about the white set is the freshness and lightness. That's what I think would be great need to look to the old table/chairs in the breakfast room-- cushions are a great way to do that. I could also see a slip covered chair. Unfortunately, I don't know that the style of your chair would work well with a slip cover (though I bet someone here would know for sure). Another possibility if you are game for another purchase are the skirted parsons chairs that a few GWer's have purchased. I forget the name of the company online-- and the only name I remember as having them is Allison. As I remember, they were pretty affordable and good quality. Of course, all these memories are suspect because they are going back a few years for me. that wasn't all that helpful, was it?

As for having seat cushions on both sets-- do they both need cushions? I think it would be ok if they were very different. Velvet in the dining room, linen in the breakfast room for example. I'd work to make them very different.

I do think the new chairs look like they are mismatched--which isnt a problem in itself.. but they are close enough that it looks like you tried for a match and missed. I don't care for them with the table.

I love the dining room table.. looking forward to seeing what you do!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Your original table is just gorgeous and as you said, there is an obvious, big difference in quality between the two tables.

I don't care so much for the old chairs...they seem to be on a larger scale than the table.

All over CL you will find sets of solid hardwood, dining chairs with upholstered seats. They practically give them away and if it's an old set it will probably be better quality that most of what you can buy today. I'd find a set of those, paint the frames and find a fabric I love for the seats.

I'd much rather see a freshly upholstered chair than a cushion sitting on a seat.

Your new set is fresh and lovely. But it lacks the character of the old set and the other furnishings in your home. And if you want some white on the table, a beautiful lace table cloth, a runner, or some pretty cutwork placemats on your "old" table would give you that fresh contrast.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

I would definitely keep the old table, but look for new chairs. Then I'd sell or return the new set. I love the old table, and it certainly speaks cottage to me.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just listed the new set on craigslist - more than 50% off, hope it sells. I definitely like my old table better... lesson I was told long ago here.. WAIT and live with things first! I ordered the table set too fast... without living with the old for a while, but once I placed the order.. I was unable to cancel and talked myself into liking the new. ;(

so you think the chairs should be a white tone or wood? I'm thinking of getting chairs from Lorts.. I love the quality.

There are a couple I like (I like the ladderback - but since my dining room are ladderback, I'd go with something different.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lorts Dining Chairs

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

The white is pretty but I think it has been done to death. It will continue to be done frequently, as it is a great solution to several common problems (the room is dark, the chairs are a different wood tone than the table, etc.).

If I didn't NEED the white to solve a problem and I could afford to find chairs in the right wood tone, I'd go for the wood with upholstered seats. I don't see any real pattern in your three rooms. The solids create a very calm, restful vibe, but I like a cheerful fresh print here and there, especially in a breakfast room. That is MY taste...you know what you find the most comfortable!

• bac717
    11 years ago

I'm pretty sure the chair company funkyart is thinking about is Carrington Court. I've been looking at them for awhile now, considering adding a pair (one at each end) to my DR table. As I recall, there are several GWers who have purchased chairs from them and have been very pleased.

Have you considered painted chairs with your old table? Perhaps you could find some on CL and paint them a creamy white.

Good luck with selling your new set, altho, I would imagine, since it's brand new, you won't have any trouble finding a buyer.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

I didn't look thru' your link yet to add'l chairs, but the white chair below has a bit of a similar look to what I think your were going for. Do you still want a white chair?

• mjlb
    11 years ago

On your LORTS link, I like chair 9815/9816. I think it would great with your original table, but it does not really speak cottage to me.

• dody40
    11 years ago

I just happened to run onto to this website with these beautiful chairs and thought of you. Here is the WebSite, if you are interested:

http://www.crockettinteriors.com/dining2.html

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

dody, love the pictures! When I clicked on them .. it brought me to Canadel's website - that is exactly where I customized my new table set!

I have it on craigslist for more than 50% less than what I paid (at a discount supplier) - no bites at all.. just 2 scammers. :(

• dody40
    11 years ago

Tinker, how funny is that. I hope you can sell your table & chairs. They are beautiful.

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

How about some upholstered dining chairs?

• jb1586
    11 years ago

Not to hijack your thread, Tinker, but...we are new condo owners(part-time) in Clearwater Beach, and are planning on purchasing a Canadel table and chairs. Was your discount supplier a local furniture store, or online? Thank you so much (love your first set, by the way).

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jb - I get most of my furniture through lexington furniture in KY. Been buying that way for years.. savings are tremendous. I have a brand new table set if you're interested!!! :)

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Tinker, I love the new set but the old set is my favorite.

I have a Canadel set that is 7 yrs old with matching bars stools. Have never been crazy about it and the table scratches easily which I was assured it would not. I felt like I had to keep this set because I thought it was expensive, but I think I will justify getting rid of it soon as well.

Your house is just lovely! You have done a terrific job creating a cottage feel.

• phoggie
    11 years ago

Tinker...learn your lesson and WAIT...something just right will come along. I like your original set, but it does not say "cottage", if that is what you are really wanting...."be patient girl :-)

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

phoggie, yes, yes.. patience! I still haven't learned that lesson yet.. but doing better! lol

Thank you red!

• tylorts
    11 years ago

Tinker as I've read through ths post, I believe you made a fabulous choice to move that Lorts table back in. I may be a little biased as owner of Lorts. But thank you for choosing us. I hope there is opportunity for Lorts in other rooms in your wonderful home.

• tinker_2006
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow.. the owner of Lorts here, that's pretty awesome! I do love my Lort's Table, side by side quality ----- hands down for Lorts! Thinking of new chairs....

• Arapaho-Rd
    11 years ago

How about something like this in a painted finish?

Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Side Chair