Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobruno_gw

Would you get this painting?

gobruno
13 years ago

We have a lot of wall space to fill in our house. I have mixed feelings about putting off-the-shelf "art" on the walls, but while I would love every piece to be an original and have super special significance, it's not like we are art collectors or have the money to be either. Also, at some point, I just want to put things on the wall. So, I saw this large canvas print on Overstock, and I like the colors, the size, and the subject matter. I was thinking of putting it on the landing of our stairs under the window here:

Do you think this is cheesey?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (48)

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

Art is just too personal of a thing. No one else can tell you if it's right or not. It has to speak to you, and since you're asking for opinions, I'm going to say this isn't speaking to you.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

If you aren't head over teakettle in love with a picture, let it go. I''m with wi-sailorgirl...if you have to ask, it's not the one.

Until you find your one true love, guess what I'm going to recommend. That's right! A big mirror!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I vote no. If I were anxious to fill a space, I would hang a piece of interesting fabric on the wall.

• duluthinbloomz4
    13 years ago

I'm not sure what to say about it other than I don't understand it. But if the size, colors, etc. speak to you - who am I to judge? (Being careful here since any hint of negativity seems to be much frowned upon on this side of the GW.)

I've been exposed to art all my life - many of the great galleries here and abroad - and have a great appreciation for it. Heck, I'll even give most artists credit for somehow putting colors together! You've got a nice space there, I wouldn't rush to fill it up simply to cover empty space. That's about as diplomatic as I can be with this piece. You did ask.

• teacats
    13 years ago

If you like the artwork -- hang any other folks opinions (pardon the pun! LOL!) -- and buy it -- and enjoy it every day!

Artwork is SO very very personal ... :)

:)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage (where artworks vary from very old portraits to Ouija boards ....)

• trinkette1
    13 years ago

I see a very modern, starkly styled, intensely colored painting with a lot of black in the colors, against a very traditional, more colonial or cottage-style, soft setting with a lot of white in the colors. It is up to you decide whether it it is simply a matter of "contrast" that adds interest, or a style and color "mismatch" where each takes away from the other. From the way the question was worded, I'm guessing that this is not necessarily a painting that "moves" you, but rather, a piece that would be purchased simply to "fill" an open space.

• Jamie
    13 years ago

I think of a little mouse hole with a lantern over the entrance, and I thought it was cute, but I would hang it very low, so the mouse hole is near the floor where a mousehole would be, and I wouldn't think it would look good under a window on the landing.

An nice play of rough-textured red, though. Maybe something similar in texture and color?

• western_pa_luann
    13 years ago

"if you have to ask, it's not the one. "

So very true!

• Penelope
    13 years ago

How about something textile, like an interesting rug or quilt?

• trinkette1
    13 years ago

I like the textile idea.

• andee_gw
    13 years ago

I agree with others about asking about the painting. Now, you didn't ask, but I am wondering this: you have a nice set of frames going up the stairs, but they can't be seen at all from the floor. Maybe it is the camera's perspective, or maybe they are hung a bit too low, or maybe they are just right for viewing when you are on those steps. But if you could raise those frames to be seen over the railing, at least it might satisfy you for the present that there is something on the wall.

I would then try to coordinate your new "art" with the existing. For the interim, the fabric/rug/tapestry idea is a good one.

• gobruno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all your input. I like the painting, but the problem is that I overthink everything and can't make a decision. So, for me, if it were true that "if I have to ask, it's not the one," then nothing would be the one for me bc I always ask for opinions! :) It's no different from anybody else on this forum who ask for opinions about paint color or opinions on couches, tables, chairs, etc. I know art is subjective. While I like the painting in general, my question is does it scream "mass-produced" or "cheesy." That's my concern. Does it look like I walked into box store and bought this thing? Have you ever been in a model home and seen all the non-descript art on the walls? You know, the generic botanicals, etc. Like this:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17562029&RN=2462&;

So, I guess what I want to know is do you think that the painting I am considering has that feel? That, I just walked into a box store and picked this off the shelf feel?

Thanks!

• sergeantcuff
    13 years ago

the problem is that I overthink everything and can't make a decision. So, for me, if it were true that "if I have to ask, it's not the one," then nothing would be the one for me bc I always ask for opinions! :)

I am the same way, one of the reasons I have blank walls in my house! I am also very, very picky about art.

While I sorta like the picture, something about it is a little too cute, and cute things should be small, if that makes any sense. I'd prefer some sort of textile in that space. Or for something bolder, how about a very large painting done by a child you know, or a super-enlarged vacation photo. That would be a little more "off-the-shelf" and might do for now until you find some perfect "real" art.

• Jamie
    13 years ago

Depends who your audience is. I know exactly what you mean and it doesn't feel too much that way to me, not in the way tuscan trees or curlique faux wrought iron feels to me. But that doesn't mean it will please you for more than a couple of weeks.

Is there any way you could get something similar locally, keep the receipt, and live with it for a while before committing?

Every time you ascend the stairs you will either have a pleasant reaction, a negative reaction, or the painting will be invisible to you. That will tell you something.

• deegw
    13 years ago

I would also suggest thinking out of the box a bit. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it should speak to you somehow. A large antique sign would look good (but that can be as hard to find as pleasing art). I just framed a large vintage nautical map of our town that I found on ebay. How about a travel poster of a place that has significance to your family? Or something to do with one of your hobbies or the sports that your kids participate in. Old hockey sticks, oars, fishing poles or lacrosse sticks hung in an "x" pattern can look really interesting in a big space. An antique or a state flag would look good too.

LOL. I'm on a roll here!

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

I personally love the painting. I don't think it looks cheesy or mass-produced. I would love to put something like that in my house.

But the point that was raised about whether it fits your other decor is a fair one. That picture is a fairly modern piece and it is very bold. In the picture you provided, I see some traditional (the spindles on the staircase) and a rather understated, sophisticated colour on the wall. Perhaps there is someplace else in your home that this beautiful painting could live that would be more appropriate?

Also, the frames that are currently on the stairs have a somewhat traditional look which makes me feel even stronger that this painting would not be quite right there.

• User
    13 years ago

I don't think it looks like the typical mass produced.

Is it large enough to fill that spot under the window right? It looks pretty small.

If you like it and the size is right then I'd go for it.

I understand completely about not being able to make decisions.

I'd also have a much easier time if my budget was as large as the price tag of things I'm drawn to!

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

Yes, art is personal. But, nothing wrong with asking for opinions. And one man's cheesy is another man's masterpiece. That said, I cringe when I see any retail store after www. when refering to artwork, but that's just me. Since I am a professional artist, I prefer artwork to be bought in a different setting.

Have you visited any local art galleries? Studios? Artist Guilds? A commissioned piece? You may be surprised to find a piece or two that is reasonable (although what's reasonable, also subjective!)

Perhaps, after all this, you can buy it and look at it in your space. And if you like the piece, maybe there is a another spot to hang it...

• busybee3
    13 years ago

with the small size of the house/focal point and the color-block look, i don't know if your placement for that painting is the best.... an awful lot of the time it will be viewed from a floor below and from afar and i don't think that painting is best viewed that way.
    also, i personally would probably be looking for a more rectangular piece for that area...

i don't think it has a "mass-produced" feel, but to determine "cheesiness", i think i has to be seen in person.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Me again...

What I am hearing between the lines in your post is that you aren't confident enough in your understanding and knowledge of art to have a sense of what is good, beyond what catches your eye.
    I've studied art and art history enough to know a little...I am not an expert by any means...but when you are trying to learn about a genre of work that is new to you, I think a much better word than "good" is "authentic." The more you look at work by serious artists, whether you immediately like it or not, the more you will come to your own sense of how a picture communicates itself to you, how it makes you feel when you look at it, and whether you sense that the painter (or printmaker or...) was making the piece sincerely, with respect for art, and something real to express or communicate, or was it whacked together purely for commerce.

Then the next question is, do you want to live with it? I see wonderful things all the time that I wouldn't want in my house, because they are conjuring a discordant feeling, or speaking a different language, or dominating the conversation entirely.

So if this picture appeals to you but you aren't certain of its quality as a painting, perhaps a morning in the library with a pile of books about contemporary and modern art would help you to gain more of a feel for it, and to have more confidence in your own tastes.

Meanwhile, if it isn't too expensive to be an experiment, buy it, move it all around your house to see if it finds a natural home, and how you feel when you see it there...and then keep it or re-sell it. Serious collectors do stuff like that all the time.

• lindac
    13 years ago

It's from the big "O"...it's mass produced and will surely look it.
    Things you hang on your walls don't always have to be a picture in a frame...it can be an old wheel,a collection of plates ior tiles...fabric...different Flea m Market frames with a mirror in each....you can frame a collection of old handkerchiefs or clock parts, a collage of wine labels....or a painting you found for $40 at as tarving artist sale that speaks to you.
    and if the one you are looking at is cheap enough....you can call it temporary.
    But I would never buy a picture from an on line photo....it may look very different to you in prson.
    Linda C

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I don't think its style really looks like what we see of your home. It also, imo, does not look like a quality piece (and your home does), which seems to be what you're asking.

I'm also wondering about the height of your existing art going up the stairs. It looks so low (for the kids?). It would be less busy and more visible, generally, if they didn't visually overlap with the stair spindles. I say this because I think their height also detracts from your very beautiful staircase by jumbling the two together.

Can I ask what the pretty wall color you used is?

• Happyladi
    13 years ago

I like it alright but it doesn't seem to "go" in that space very well. I think it needs to be viewed more close up, too. If you like it maybe there is another place in your home it would fit better?

• whitecap
    13 years ago

These inquiries invariably present a certain conflict. We want to see ourselves as indepedent spirits who, in matters aesthetic, go with what what we like, and hang who doesn't like it. At the same time, we dread being perceived as pretentious or unsophisticated. In my untutored opinion, your choice flirts with provoking unwelcome reactions.

But speaking of the difficulty of finding affordable, quality art, I recently came across the Southern Hospitality Blog, the author of which has occasionally posted here as GeorgiaGal. She claimed she had come across several appealing pieces at estate sales and thrift stores. I had my doubts about this, but decided to give it a shot. Today, at the Salvation Army store, I picked up a signed and numbered 30"x24" print by Janice Sumler, a very respected Tennesse Artist, for $15, and an original landscape watercolor, very skillfully done, of about the same size, for $49. (I have yet to decipher the name of the artist.) Both pieces were very nicely framed. All of which is to say, that there are options available other than budget crushing originals and Overstock.com.

• gobruno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, really, for all your feedback. I am always pleasantly surprised at how many people take the time to respond to posts, and whether they agree or disagree, I just wanted to say thanks for chiming in.

As for the height of the pictures, I think it's the angle of the photo. They are actually hung at adult eye level. here is another photo:

I hear what you all are saying about art, and I agree with most of it. I do have an appreciation for art, but my problem currently is that my budget doesn't allow me to buy the large pieces of art that many of the walls in our house demand. The other problem is that I simply do not have the time to physically go shopping and browsing for art. We literally have the kind of lives where we are going non-stop from sun up to sundown, and while we might have the opportunity to go to may be 1 art fair once a year, that's not enough to find stuff to fill our house (and we didn't see anything we liked at the 1 art fair we were able to drag our large brood of kids to).

So, while in an ideal world, I'd love to browse antique shops, go to art fairs, etc., it's just not going to happen. So, I feel like I am faced with the problem of either having nothing on my walls until all of our kids grow up, or get a few things to fill a few of the blank spaces with things that are "pretty nice." Down the road, I could fill more prominent spots with nicer pieces of art.

I've done a few of the things already suggested--have kids make art, blow up photos, frame menus from favorite restaurants, etc., but I'm running out of ideas.

As for my style, I know it's a bit tough to see by just looking at this staircase, but I'd say my style is Pottery Barn with a contemporary twist. I like to have that general style but with a few modern and unexpected pieces mixed in.

Anyway, I think I'm going to hold off on the painting and revisit it in a couple of weeks. Not that I am familiar with this particular artist, but even though his paintings are being sold on Overstock, I did look him up before considering it, and he does actually seem like a legitimate artist and not a hack. He is the founder of the Austin Art Garage, and I generally find his paintings insteresting. I have also been looking at some stuff on etsy, and will may be go that way to ensure that I'm getting something a bit closer to "real" art. ;) See, I way overthink this stuff! Thanks again!

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I don't think you need to find 'real' or fine art. Like you say, budgets and lots of walls to fill. Pieces of decent quality (don't look cheap) that you like looking at is all that's really needed to be enjoyed.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

If you like this art, you should buy it. I think it would look very nice in your space and make a great statement.

I've never really been a big fan of more modern art, but my grandmother enjoyed it and I think it makes for interesting conversation. All my art seems to be of moutains and deer, but it speaks to me :)

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Thrift stores can have some really great stuff.

And hang a nice rug, framed piece of fabric or whatever while you look for art that talks to you.

• whitecap
    13 years ago

The Austin Art Garage seems to be a venue for artists who are struggling for recognition.

The avant garde does have a tendency to get out in front of itself from time to time.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

The stairwell in the link below has become one of my favorites. You can do something very similar by using a technique Nate suggested on his new TV show. He said if you're wanting art no one else has, find a silk scarf that is the size, color & design you like and have it framed. Or, you buy a basic frame and mount it yourself.

Do a web search and you can find lots of info on how to frame scarves.

Here is a link that might be useful: stairwell

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I like the piece. It is quirky and interesting and I think it might look different on different days.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    13 years ago

I don't think it looks cheesy or "model home", neither would I want to put that particular picture up in my home.

I like the idea of hanging fabric. Maybe you could do a grouping w/three canvases, each with different but coordinating fabric. Budget-friendly, original/unique, and whatever size you need.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I think you feel financially limited because you're only concentrating on art as in pictures instead of the textiles advice.

Like was mentioned above, you can buy online a colorful and inexpensive array of items, rugs, quilts, metal pieces, stitchery, etc. to hang, or my favorite for a space that large is a tapestry. Which can cost a fortune but there are some good pieces not that expensive.

What about a large shadowbox holding little trinkets? It would catch the eye as you're coming downstairs.

Do you have an old child's dress you could frame? You can frame hankies, doilys, all sorts of things in a grouping at a small fraction of the cost of a painting/picture.

Adding different wall textiles to a room makes it more enjoyable, IMO.

In fact, I need to do the same, stop hanging so many pictures and put up more textiles! :)

• ruthie_s
    13 years ago

If it has a personal connection for you, it is great! I don't think it matters if it is mass produced or not, if you like it and it is framed well.
    For original art pieces I always tell myself I am going to contact the art department at a college nearby ( haven't gone yet). There are so many talented art students who want to make some needed cash!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I'll take a stab at this, so far no one has asked what colors are in the furniture of room at foot of the stairs, it looks like an entry with a L.R. off to the left of pic, actually looks like my bro.'s other house. He didn't have a window there on the landing but a rounded small window high up with ledge that had floral arrangement 3 pics of their 3 kids taken at a studio in black frames in a straight row. They were 15 x 18 or something on that order. Anyway what will red, green & black pic do to your color scheme in L.R. or whatever room that is? Red fights with lot of colors so the stuff on walls is usually bought after the other expensive stuff, or stuff for comfort- chairs, sofa etc are in place. If you have art on wall & try to find sofa, chairs etc to look good with it, you are likely to end up even more frustrated! Are you interested in bright colors for house or pastels etc? Right now it looks like earthy tones & black & white. What style furniture, traditional, shabby chic, etc? House full of antiques wouldn't look so great with abstracts on the walls. Chinese furniture wouldn't mix with rough pine framed Am.farm pics. My DD(dear daughter) has found some wonderful buys from want ads & Craig's list, very low priced. So figure out which direction you are going with furniture & get things comfortable for your family,sofa, chairs, end table or behind sofa table, dining room set or at least kitchen table large enough for your family. A common color or 2 is nice through connecting rooms especially downstairs ( makes house look bigger also) so if LR is mostly rust with sage accents the kitchen & dining area might be white with sage sofa & drapes. Upstairs every room can be whatever kids want & hubby wants some input for your bedroom. Have fun & good Luck!

• gobruno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow. Thanks again for all the feedback. Ok, so I have to admit that I am not a big textile on the wall fan. I love fabrics and textiles, rugs, etc., but not on my walls. I'm thinking though with so many recommending them on my walls, that may be I'm not thinking about it in the right way. Does anybody have examples that they have put on the wall? Suggestions of pieces? I'm a visual person and need to see pictures! :)
    This it the foyer in our house and really stands on its own. You can peak into other rooms, but it's stands pretty much on its own. I am in the process of painting and stenciling a niche at the top of the stairs (which I've posted about). The niche is a blue/green with a large gold damask medallion stencil. I really like how it is coming along. When I'm done, I'll post some pics. Anyway, as far as colors, I have always been a red person. That is my favorite decorating color. I try to use it more as an accent color thoough. annz, love the inspiration photo. If I had art like that I'd be thrilled. I think it's a good example of a fairly traditional stairwell looking great with modern pieces. I like that.

Thanks again!

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

Art = Cheap Michael's canvases + paint + brood of kids. Interesting, original, cheap.
    Dee

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

You are thinking about textiles on the walls in just exactly the right way. You don't like them. No reason at all to change your feeling based on things other people like to do. So there's something you don't need to overthink, my dear...you already know the answer to that one!

The hardest thing to get hold of in design is the idea of discipline, which drives what you leave out even more than what you put in. So when you don't like something, that's a step in the right direction toward that discipline. If you are willing to consider everything, it's much, much harder to rule out whole categories of things...and that's what disciplined design must do.

Listen to other ideas, learn about things you didn't already know, expose yourself to things you haven't seen...but trust yourself.

• luckygal
    13 years ago

It's a misperception to think there is not inexpensive original art available. Over the past 5 years or so I've bought close to 20 original land/waterscape oils, many complete with frames. I've also bought a few watercolors and prints. The prices have ranged from less than $1 to $20 for the most expensive and largest one. My shopping venue for these art treasures is yard sales. Admittedly some of these are amateurish but they do have a certain quality I like. Most of the amateur art is obviously local but I like to see a familiar local lake, old building, or winter scene hanging on my wall. Many of these oils are quite good tho and one had a gallery sticker on the back from a city gallery. I'm sure the original owner paid more than the $3 I did!

I think that most of these paintings were likely passed down to family and not appreciated. Some were sold to me by the artist's parents who said her later works were better and they didn't have space for all. I'm quite pleased with her early works the largest of which cost me $7 with frame.

I can't comment on the art you posted as it's not my style and doesn't invoke any good feelings for me. However, that does not mean it isn't perfect for someone else. I only buy art that I can't bear to leave behind. I'm currently hoping to find more still lifes but they are few and far between.

If you don't yard sale and aren't sure what you like you might see if a local art gallery has a lending program. For a fee you can 'rent' art for a period of time.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

If you're not fond of textiles, what about wall art?

Check out the Pottery Barn link below and look at all the fun wall art they have. I'm very tempted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pottery Barn Wall Art

• teacats
    13 years ago

How about hanging a giant black-and-white copy of your home's building plans? Split into squares and hung in a grid???

Or perhaps a photo grid of your family's favorite outdoor spots? Pets?

Or take a photo of your favorite tree or park -- in the four seasons .... mat in larger mats -- and hang in a grid ....

Or perhaps even add framed shadowboxes of your family's favorite books?

Or perhaps shadowboxes of your children's old small toys?

Or shadowboxes of framed old keys?

Or perhaps a large mirror? Maybe a round one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor: very large black starburst mirror

• thermsen
    13 years ago

I have a degree in fine art, but have no problem purchasing a mass produced item if I love it. I know what you mean about the cheesy botanicals and I feel the same way but there may be someone who actually really loves that leaf painting and they should buy it! Then there are the 90% of people who buy it because since it's in a major store chain, it must be good! I happen to love Jack Vetrianio's paintings and am going to buy the Singing Butler from BB&B this week for my dining room. It's only $59.99, fits right into my budget, BUT I have always LOVED this painting, but at the same time, there's something about the subject matter that really bugs me. I loved it from the day I saw it. I don't think that if a painting is mass produced, that you should't buy it. What about Starry Starry Night? I really hate that type of snobbery when it comes to art. If you really like it and it speaks to you, then get it. If not, wait - or better yet pick up a canvas at Michael's and a good paint brush!!!

• whitecap
    13 years ago

I suspect young Mr. Ganucheau would be acutely distressed were he privy to this talk of his H Is for Home being used to provide a pleasant variation of color and texture. He is, after all, a cutting edge artist, not a mere decorator. Does one just ignore the representational aspects of his effort, particularly the cartoonish depiction of a house, and that curious metal bracket? Is the house inside some sort of ominous enclosure? Perhaps Joel presupposes familiarity with a companion piece, Sinking, which depicts a subsiding house against the same angry, red backdrop. So what do we have here, the nuclear family being overwhelmed by vast, impersonal forces? Or postmodern sound and fury, signifying nothing?

• krycek1984
    13 years ago

luckygal, that's an excellent point.

There was a festival this summer up the street at a rehabilitated/renovated artsy area (I live in the city of Cleveland) and they had an exhibit with local artists. I saw a few paintings that were BEAUTIFUL. And they ran in the 100-300 range. Not cheap, but, for an original one of a kind? Sure, not too bad. If I wasn't unemployed I would have jumped on the opportunity. There was this horribly morose and dark one that just called out to me. My partner would have killed me if I had gotten it, but I don't care :).

• msrose
    13 years ago

Oh, I really like the black starburst mirror that teacats posted. I think it would look great with your black framed pictures.

Laurie

• gobruno
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the great suggestions and the good discussion.

Teacats, funny you should link that starburst mirror. I have been shopping (and overthinking) starburst mirrors for months. I have several in mind, but I am planning to put it over the fireplace in our dining room. I also like the other suggestions you make. Those are all along the lines of things that I also do. Like I said, I have framed menus of favorite restaurants, blown up photos, had our kids do "original paintings," etc. May be I'm just tired and being lazy at this point, but I was thinking it would just be nice and easy to buy something instead of making it. I have done so many projects in putting our house together, and I guess my bigger philosophical question is--does everything have to be so darn special and personal in order to be worthy of display? I know, I know, that's a personal question, but this forum is full of people like me who obsess about their homes and finding that "perfect" piece of furniture, paint color, art, etc., and for people like that, do you feel like it's ok to just buy something off the shelf? Thermsen, thanks for your thoughts. As we decorate our house, I do wonder, is some of this obsessing bordering on snobbery? Like the PB stuff that oakleyok posted--I actually like that stuff. But, that stuff is mass-produced. May be it's ok bc PB is classier than BB&B. I saw a wooden billboard sign at JCP and liked it, but I hesitated bc it was from JCP. Here it is:

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=166e8cb&deptid=71371&dep=HOME+D%c3%89COR&catid=71784&cat=Wall+D%c3%a9cor&SO=0amp;pcatid=71371&Ne=5+1027+1031+580+1008+8+18+904+949+833&pagesize=1&x5view=1&N=4294953198&cattyp=RLE&Nao=198&PSO=0amp;CmCatId=71371:71784

Ok, thanks for letting me bounce ideas off this forum!

• luckygal
    13 years ago

Quote by gobruno: "As we decorate our house, I do wonder, is some of this obsessing bordering on snobbery?"

IMO the danger is in thinking that something that costs a lot of money is more valuable than something inexpensive and buying something expensive just because it is, not because one loves it. Since I yard sale as a hobby I find many items that originally cost a lot (or a little) that I can buy for really cheap prices. That is not a reflection on their true value but it does make me reluctant to pay retail prices for 'disposable' decor accessories, especially the ones mass produced offshore. I prefer to find originals (one-of-a-kind) items but I do use many of the mass produced as well.

Not everything I own is super-special but I don't buy anything unless I like it and consider it worthy of display in my home.

One thing some people may not know is that many original/semi-original items made in North America are copied by those who mass-produce items in China. In fact they have 'spies' at the Gift-Ware Trade Shows here in North America and I'm told items can be in production in China within weeks of the 'spy' sending pics.

Gobruno, I actually like the wooden sign from JCP and there is nothing wrong IMO with buying that type of mass-produced art if one likes it. Since I'm frugal and don't need art I'd wait to find it in a yard sale for $10 or less but would definitely buy that piece if I found it!

Thanks for this thread, it's been one of the more interesting ones.

• msrose
    13 years ago

gobruno - I just came across this picture and it reminded me of your staircase, so I wanted to show you how they displayed the pictures on the window wall.

{{!gwi}}

Laurie