Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Ideas for counter wall?

violetwest
10 years ago

Here's a pic of the back of my kitchen island/counter thing and I'd like your suggestions for it. Right now it has builder beige paint (as does the whole house). I don't much like the color, but haven't decided if I'm going to paint or not.

My problem is that it's already starting to get dirty since this is a seating area, and it's prone to scuff marks. It's cheap paint and not all that washable. And the area is right in my face where I sit in my tv area.

I was thinking about a stone application, which I like, but y'all thought was tacky. One obvious solution is a better quality paint in a darker color maybe. Better at hiding scuff marks?

I plan eventually to put a fish tank on the lower side (to the left in the pic) where the stools are not. Also, I hope you don't laugh at my house --I have a very casual aesthetic, and am still getting furniture and stuff. But I like it!

Comments (16)

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Why not sheathe it in painted or stained wood?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well, that's a possibility too. I'm not very handy though -- could I do it as an easy diy project?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

For a quick, easy and maybe temporary fix, you could paint it a slightly darker color-maybe match the color of the counter lip that s visible above it. That is a pretty color and might work really well there if you can match it.

• pps7
    10 years ago

How about beadboard stained to blend with the counter? Once you apply poly, it should be easy to clean.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Part of the problem is that there is no overhang at the counter for people to put their knees under when they sit. It's really more of a standing bar than a sitting one....maybe you need a foot rail instead.

A heavy vinyl wallpaper may be more durable than paint and can come in a variety of looks, be it wood or tile or just texture. Or you could add bead board.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I'd start with paint in a slightly darker color and with a washable finish. Love the idea of the fish tank, especially with all the houseplants you have in the background.

• User
    10 years ago

Just a note on dark paint if it chips or dents the white drywall is just as noticable as the dark scuffs on a light color.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some good ideas here -- thank you! I think you're right Annie -- not enough overhang; however, it does work as an eating counter, even seated.

I think beadboard would be too "cottagy" for my house. Wallpaper - meh, but I'll consider it. To the right in the picture is the big blank wall of my tv area -- I've also considered extending a new paint color to that wall. I don't really like the color of my countertop (too yellow) so probably would not go with that color.

I'm still trying to find a low, non-ugly fish tank stand. Probably will have to go custom.

And the plants you see there are for the specific purpose of screening the view of the sink from the front door -- works great.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 9:45

• roobear
    10 years ago

Seems like you had already picked out a idea for your counter that you liked . . .
    "I was thinking about a stone application, which I like,"

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, but I asked about it here, and y'all gave a thumbs down, whether real stone or fake.

That doesn't mean I'm not still considering it, but I also wanted to know what you guys might think would be a better option.

Here is a link that might be useful: faux stone - tacky or nice

• JennaVaNowSC
    10 years ago

Why would anyone laugh?. You have a very nice house! We are going to add a footrail to our island when we move in. We do have the overhang so dh wants barstools, but I worry about scuff marks too.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

I went to your link... many people liked stone on that thread, and most naysayers were not opposed to stone, they were opposed to fake stone.
    Big difference.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Another possibility is tile -- like mosaic --- even in, gasp, stone. There are several looks similar to the Air Stone product you like, but you may wish to stick to a lower texture product. Since the overhang is small, a rough texture may catch on clothing.

Or as Pal said, you could panel the front. Several options as a DIY: using thin plywood, trim,a miter saw and some pant. These 45 degree cuts are really quite easy. You will want to use hardwood or some MDF, for durability. A second, more costly option, are false panels to match your cabinetry. Expensive to order, easy to install. (There are also firms that sell these types of panels).

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

I have a full wall of stone in my foyer and I hate it! With that being said it isn't really the stone that I hate but the orangey rust color of about half of the stone.

If you like stone I say do it. You only live once and life is too short to not do aesthetically what you want to do because others have a different idea.

Your space is quite pretty. I love your cocktail ottoman. Do you find it as useful as you thought? I am considering one in my remodeling but may go with a lift top table ( I don't care for them) but I am trying to be aware of decorating for our lives and not what I would love to do if it isn't practical.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

many good thoughts here - good catch on the low profile if I do stone.

I wasn't fishing for compliments, just a mention because my house (and lifestyle) are not as "formal" as many of the posters here seem to be.

The ottoman is probably NOT as useful as it appears, but once I get the rest of the furniture in there it might be a bit better. My cats like it though!

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wait -- which ottoman are you talking about? I don't know what a "cocktail" ottoman is. The one in the foreground, or the one in the background?

I use the foreground one for sitting at my computer. Helpful, but not ideal. The round one in the back I got at Pier 1 -- I like it, but it tends to tip if you sit on the edge.