Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetwest

Faux stone--tacky or nice?

violetwest
10 years ago

I have not yet researched this in depth, but I'm thinking of Airstone or other applications of stone or near-stone on exterior porch pillars, and maybe even inside on the outside of the kitchen island.

My subdivision has specs for exterior stone, and many of the homes have it, although mine does not. Point is that it will fit in with the neighborhood and style of my house.

What do you think of this look? Junky? Will it stand the test of time?

Comments (31)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

As part of your research, look into real stone that is sawn thin. That's what we used on our house and it looks great.

• annie1971
    10 years ago

You might be ok outside but I can't envision it in the kitchen, and I'm not one for matching the neighbors. I would consider beautifully painted pillars before faux, but would like to see photos of your house and stone options.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I like the stone/brick exteriors but I don't think it's a classic look. There were a lot of stone & brick houses built in the 60's and they really look dated to me now. The only exception is Austin stone, or square cut light stone. It seems to have never gone out of style. I think brick houses will stand up to time better than a mix. JMO

• Faux68
    10 years ago

Are you talking about cultured stone? I don't know what air stone is.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Tacky.

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my house is a modern southwestern with tan stucco exterior. Not sure about applying [faux] rock over stucco, but that's a different question.

Could care less about matching the neighbors, but I also don't believe in fighting the style of the house and neighborhood -- go with the flow, so to speak.

I've seen a picture with the exterior of the kitchen island done in stone -- really looks nice and I think it would add some character to my fairly bland builder grade house.

I think there are several options: manufactured stone, ceramic tile made to look like stone, stone veneer, for example. But just wanted to get your opinion.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

I have never heard of air stone. Faux stone, IMO, is tacky. It's just an opinion, which is what the OP asked for.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Air stone is a faux stone, I have seen it in person and it looks real. I think if stone would look good in the location, air stone would be indistinguishable unless you took a pickaxe to it. I have been considering doing our fireplace with it.

• Debbie Laird
    10 years ago

Can you put the air stone beside the real stone and tell a huge difference?
    The stone in the photo is alot like the austin stone referenced earlier.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It doesn't look like fake stone in the picture. If it really does look real, then I wouldn't call it tacky. If it bothers you anyway because it's man made, then maybe it's still not a good choice.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

For such a small area you're describing, I'd use real stone. It won't break the bank.

I think you'd be happier too because if you get faux stone you'd still know it and might wish you had done it with real stone.

• Debbie Laird
    10 years ago

If faux stone is tacky, is faux metal backsplash or faux paintable bead board wallpaper?

• kswl2
    10 years ago

Part of the appeal of real stone is the feel. I have never felt faux stone that felt like actual stone, so regardless of how "real" it is, there's a tactile element missing.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Doesn't sound like a touchy feely application. But you will know it, feel it that way, so I would consider that when choosing. Labor will probably be more with real stone. Prep/foundation differences are another consideration when estimating the costs.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

A brick or stone island was popular in some 1970 looks. I don't think it's back, except for an outdoor kitchen.

Look at how they handled the corners on this. You can 100% tell it's fake, because there's a cut line there. THAT'S "tacky".

It does nothing here to lift the surrounding builder grade kitchens to anything special. It makes them look even worse, IMHO.
    {{!gwi}}

Used in an authentic manner, as in completely covering a structural post, or completely covering the whole section of a house that could have been the original stone cottage that had additions, faux stone can look appropriate. Used inauthentically, like high waisted pants on old men halfway up a house or at the top of a garage gable---or cladding a single interior wall----it emphasizes it's in inauthenticity.

Realistic.

{{!gwi}}

(actual historic home with addition)

Fake. Or Faux, if you prefer.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

interesting responses. If given the choice, I certainly lean toward natural materials, i.e., real stone veneer, but I was actually looking for opinions on the "look."

I'll try this: the inspiration picture for the kitchen island (you may have to cut and paste the link--not sure how that works here):

http://pinterest.com/pin/404901822718807960/

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

oh, wow tons of pics, hollysprings, thank you. although I guess you feel some of those are appropriate and some are not, and I can't always tell which.

I get what you're saying about authenticity, though.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

The pic Faux68 posted is a REAL stone .

The brand AirStone looks bad and I really don't trust their exterior installation instructions.
    It's a cheap DIY project sold at Lowes and Home Depot.
    I didn't hear you say that you were doing it yourself or were looking for the cheapest.

You might be happier with a stone veneer.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://airstone.com/blog/

• annie1971
    10 years ago

Definitely would keep it out of the kitchen. Reminds me of cave material.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

I think the "realness" of it depends a great extent on placement. If it's placed where real structural stone obviously wouldn't --even real stone has a hard time looking convincing. Stone on a second story where it is not clearly supported by stone from the first story is an example.

If it is used in an interior application where it would clearly be too heavy to be supported by whatever it's standing on--floating on a wall or in the middle of a room on an island fake stone will clearly Look fake, no matter how realistic it is.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

This is a link to the quartzite stone posted above in Faux68's post. It's British website. Here is what they write below the pic -

"Split Face Mosaics provide an excellent decorating solution for areas that would benefit from a natural stone finish. This exciting 3D wall cladding is available in a range of stunning, stone types, colours and textures bringing the feel of the great outdoors to your home. Natural stone split face mosaics are a new generation of natural stone wall cladding that will add the character of dry-stone walling.

The texture is the rough feel of natural stone, the edges and back are machine sawn into a convenient and time-saving cladding. For interior or exterior use, split face mosaics offer a customised look to suit your design. Split Face Mosaics make it possible to bring a peace of the natural world to your decorating choices.

Split Face Mosaics are produced from natural stone with a unique natural finish, offering unlimited creative opportunities. The edge of each piece of stone is cut between 10 to 30mm thick and then bonded together with polyester resin to produce a 600x150mm cladding. The result is a very easy to install natural stacked stone that can be used for internal and external wall cladding."

Here is a link that might be useful: Nu-stone

• CLBlakey
    10 years ago

The airstone looks alot more real than the fake plastic garbage they put on my house. Now that is tacky!!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I started to post yesterday, but deleted. It's a personal opinion, like everything in decorating. For me, it's real stone... and real metal... and real wood wainscot. I've never seen a faux stone that looked real, and I did look at all the options when we were building (mostly out of curiosity, and so satisfy DH). The cost and installation of real stone was about the same as faux stone - not a hard decision to go with real stone.

Our great room fireplace is a ground stone mixed with don't-recall. Some people think it's real, but I can't wait to replace it with an antique stone fireplace mantel.

Our real stone exterior:

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, do what makes you happy. I've seen horrible real stone and nice faux. The type and installation have a great deal to do with the outcome.
    But, if given a choice, real is usually preferred.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Now that I see what air stone is, I would caution against it in an outdoor use. We used something similar, not that brand but the same thing, to line the inner edge of our water garden because they came in an L shape that would cover the exposed liner. It only took a few years for the colors to fade.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"The cost and installation of real stone was about the same as faux stone - not a hard decision to go with real stone."

Most people (who have an interest in their homes) would prefer real stone, real metal, real shutters, real wood siding, authentic beautiful materials... It's usually a cost or maintenance consideration.

So, what is the advantage to using a faux stone?

If it's not a financial or a structural consideration due to weight, why are you considering it?

You do have to be careful a structure can handle the weight of real stone, even with a stone tile floor. It's weight also makes it more difficult to move and work with. Cutting would be another issue. These things usually entail higher labor charges. I would think specialized labor and equipment would be involved. Those were things I was told when I was looking at products. Be sure to get the full picture at the outset, not just a material cost comparison, to avoid surprises.

Some of the faux stones are more real looking than others. The craftsmanship of the installer will also affect how "real" or good it looks. Then again, some real stone doesn't look so hot either! If what you pick isn't indigenous to the region, it could look off. Or it can be installed without a lot of artisan skill. I've seen some real stones that just look ugly to me.

If this is a big box product, beware of quality, and it probably does not look that much like real stone.

"but I was actually looking for opinions on the "look."

The inspiration picture in the kitchen that you posted (and the others shown) look very heavy and out of place. They don't work well, imo. If you want to bring some stone indoors, maybe a fireplace or fireplace wall would be another option to consider.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

Honestly I don't like the stone in the inspiration pic, perhaps I just don't like something so textured in a kitchen where it's hard to clean. I would be concerned about damage to airstone by kicking feet.

Have you considered something like reclaimed wood for texture instead?

• violetwest
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for all your comments -- very helpful!

• HU-356055861
    5 years ago

I installed air stone on the sides of my concrete porch and it is falling off After six months.I tried to put it back on but it just falls apart in my hand so brittle.I would not recomend it. I saw a lot of reviews and people had the same results

• risadesko
    last year

If Airstone is applied with the correct placement, color and location, its an attractive alternative to heavy stone

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia