Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

Upside down pics

luckygal
10 years ago

Is this the look of the future as more and more people use iPads and post pics upside down? Seriously I'm getting tired of downloading pics and turning them right side up so I can view.

I doubt I'm the only one not connecting with an iPad so others must have the same situation.

IMO it's incumbent on the poster to make sure their pics are right side up. It would be much appreciated.

Comments (32)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

If you use Firefox as your browser, you can right click on the picture and turn it around.

• ohgoodness
    10 years ago

Oh goodness, well I'm guilty. But, here's the deal, from an iPad you have no idea the pictures are upside down. After I posted, I learned that non iPad users can see them upside depending on how you took the picture. Someone was nice enough to turn them around for me. I had no idea why they were upside down until I researched it after the fact. I'm sorry.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Graywings~ I run firefox .
    Once I right click then what do I do ?

luckygal~ I think the problem is that anyone using Apple does not see it upside down.To them it's posted right side up.

This is a link from my3dogs that explains to ipad users how to .

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg070804567252.html

• luckygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Greywings, thanks but I've tried that and it doesn't work.

Kew2006, nice of you to apologize but you are not the only one, it's becoming more frequent. There is info on the net telling how to take pics so they post correctly.

Guess I'll have to get an iPad but how many devices do I really need sitting around becoming obsolete as I use the new one! LOL

• luckygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks forboystoo for posting that link, guess I could use my iMac but my PC laptop is more convenient.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I don't have an option.
    PC here.
    Not that I have such earth-shaking design ideas to impart~
    I just like looking at pretty pic's âº

• graywings123
    10 years ago

When I right click on a photo, a box comes up that includes "Rotate Image" and I rotate it 180 degrees.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

No amount of right or double-clicking fixes an upside down (or sideways) image for me.

If the image is posted incorrectly from one of these devices, then it stays incorrect whenever I see it.

I have no idea what the trick is to getting them to post correctly, but if I had one of these things and my images weren't coming out correctly, I'd follow some of the links above and learn how to do it right.

Upside down pics are really hard to decipher, so mostly I just skip over the threads with them. So if you're posting from an Ipad or whatever they are called and people say the image is inverted and you don't get a lot replies, chances are that's the reason.

HTH

L,

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I don't have that option but I can probably add it to my drop down menu.
    I added google image search there which makes things easier.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

I post pictures all the time from my iPad and no one has every said that they were upside down.
    Many of my pictures have been taken with an iphone and I have never worried about which direction I held the phone.
    When posters say the pictures are upside down, they have been fine on my iPad.
    So, the question is why are some ipad users postings okay and others not.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Badgergal~ It's how you hold the ipad when you take the pic.

Apple self corrects on images.
    PC people see it upside down.

• krycek1984
    10 years ago

But why are people with iPads seeing these upside down images as nit upside down? The auto correction is done in the photos app...it can't "auto correct" HTML code which is what many of these pics are. My guess is something changed on garden webs side...this generally wasn't happening before and many of us have had iPads for a while.

We are simply not seeing things upside down on our end...everything looks normal...if other non ipad users didn't say anything I'd never know.

• pudgybaby
    10 years ago

Rotate image is a firefox add on. Google 'firefox rotate image' to find it. I just added it and it works great. It's in the list when I right click, and each time it rotates 90 degrees, so you need to do it twice for upside down images.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

This thread sums it up the best I could find:
    The EXIF data is buried inside the JPEG at the time the photo is taken,
    and it includes an Orientation tag. (I've tested this using my iPad, and
    my iPhone for comparison.)

The first half of the problem is that standard software on Windows, plus
    common third party web browsers and e-mail clients on both Windows and
    Mac (I haven't checked Linux) completely ignore the Orientation tag,
    despite it being a defined part of EXIF and having been in use for
    several years on a variety of devices (assuming nospam is right about
    the timing of it being used by digital cameras).

The second half of the problem is that as of iOS 4 (mid 2010), Apple
    decided to rely on the EXIF Orientation tag to rotate photos, rather
    than phyisically rotating the image when creating the JPEG. This seems
    an odd decision given almost nonexistent support for EXIF Orientation on
    Windows. Apple's main reason for doing this was probably to save
    processing time and power consumption in the iOS device. This method has
    continued to be used in iOS 5.

Since the affected applications ignore the Orientation tag, they show
    the photo in the physical orientation it occurs in the JPEG, which for
    an iPad or iPhone corresponds to the landscape orientation with the
    camera at the top of the image.

If you were holding the iPad or iPhone in landscape with the camera at
    the bottom, then the photo saved by the iPad or iPhone is physically
    upside down, with an Orientation tag instructing the viewing software to
    rotate it 180 degrees. If the viewing software doesn't pay attention to
    the Orientation tag, then it will display the photo upside down.

If you have access to a Mac which is running Apple's standard Mail
    client and with Firefox installed, it is easy to test this. E-mail
    yourself a photo taken "upside down" with the iPad. Mail will show the
    photo up the right way. Now save the attached JPEG image, and
    drag-and-drop it to Firefox. Firefox will show the picture upside down.
    This is because Firefox is ignoring the Orientation tag, while Mail is
    recognising it.

Alternatively, if you have access to both a Mac and Windows PC, e-mail
    the same photo to both computers, and observe that the Mac has the photo
    up the right way (because Mail understands the Orientation tag) while
    the Windows PC has it upside down (because its e-mail client doesn't
    understand the Orientation tag).

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.techiehq.net/ipad/upside-down-photos-86068-2.html

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I'm glad you brought this up because I've had to close many pages with upside down pictures. I'll check them out on my iPad. lol.

When I download I always do it on my PC because I get bigger pictures and it's easier to adjust the lighting in the pictures.

If someone doesn't have a PC, I'm glad there are instructions on how to do it, I may need it sometime!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

As I suspected I would, I already forget M3D's helpful link about how to hold my iPad for picture taking. Since the pictures look fine on my iPad, I didn't realize there was a problem. Now that I checked my laptop and saw my 'shroom picture upside down, maybe, just maybe, I'll remember to do it right next time.

I should probably post a pic a day to get it ingrained in my head.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Ok so bottom line is when taking a picture in landscape on my iPad, I need the camera at the top/home button on the right, correct?

So what do I do about posting pics I already have, where I cannot tell how it will display? If people are posting it's upside down, what can I do to fix that? Is there some sort of code I can add?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Just a suggestion for people who have posted pictures upside down. If people post that the photo is upside down, can you rotate it on your PC and repost it? Personally, I'll turn my laptop if it's a sideways picture, but I can't do that if it's upside down and just hit the back button.

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks greywings and pudgybaby - downloaded the add-on.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Testing, 1,2,3, testing
    This is with the home button on the right - and they are upside down to me on my ipad. What's up with that?

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Here's the same pic taken with the home button on the left. I'll have to check the view from my laptop.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

The pictures posted at 11:12 are right side up on my laptop while the pictures posted at 11:14 are upside down. It's vice versa on my ipad. I guess if I ever post a picture again I'll have to do two, one for pc people, one for ipad people. Good thing I don't post pictures often.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

On my ipad the 11:12 are right side up and the ones in the second posting are upside down.

• Sherrie Moore
    10 years ago

Pictures posted at 11:12 are right side up on my Apple laptop. Picture posted at 11:14 are upside down.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I use a Macbook and lots of pictures are up-side-down for me too. So all Apple devices do not show the correct orientation.

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

I have a Macbook Pro and many ipad pics are upside down. In the above the 11:12 are right side up, the 11:14 are upside down.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

I'm using an iPad - the original not a newer one with camera. The pictures posted above- the first one at 11:12 are upside down for me and the second ones at 11:14 are right side up. Strange that even iPad users are seeing them differently. I even rotated my iPad and the pictures still stay the same.

• mfnJsb0809
    10 years ago

Tresting

• mfnJsb0809
    10 years ago

Testing 2 rotated 180 on iphone

• mfnJsb0809
    10 years ago

Sorry....one more try

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

MFJN:

All pics wonky for me on a laptop PC. First pic is sideways with actual top on left side of image. Series rotates counterclockwise, but never comes up right.

L.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Mfnj,
    On my iPad your first picture is correct, 2nd is upside down, and 3rd is sideways with the ceiling on the right.

On my laptop, the first pic is sideways ceiling on the left, 2nd is upside down, 3rd sideways ceiling on the right.