Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mygroovyhouse

Help my groovy 70's kitchen

mygroovyhouse
14 years ago

I'm getting ready to tackle my kitchen. I love the layout and don't want to move anything around. Also, the cabinets are solid wood (birch, I think) and would prefer to keep them.

My house is a likeside rustic cottage/cabin and I'd like the interior to go with the exterior.

Clearly I will be soliciting ideas for adding curb appeal at a later date.

I am madly in love with this kitchen

http://www.theletteredcottage.net/search/label/Kitchen

So, I'm thinking of painting the cabinets and installing laminate floors. What else do I need to do to get this look? What color appliances? Trash compactor yea or ney? Those scalloped thingies above the windows have to come down, right? Other looks that might go well in this kitchen?

Also, are new doors my only option to get rid of the groove or is there some kind of putty I can use to fill the groove and then paint the cabinets?

Comments (25)

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

You might need to ask someone in the woodworking forum if the following suggestion would work. My suggestion would be to get some paintable wood filler, (there is such a thing, because I used it to repair a maple cabinet that was damaged), and fill in the grooves. This filler is like putty, you would fill in the grooves and then after the filler dries, lightly sand over it until it's flush with the cabinet face. Once that's done, you would prime over the entire cabinet face with a tinted primer. You notice, though, on Layla's kitchen cabinets, that there was a raised outer panel that framed each cabinet. If you wanted the same effect, you would need to apply the picture frame molding. If you planned to do this, the picture frame molding, if it was wide enough, might over those grooves anyway.

I recently refinished some furniture using Layla's kitchen cabinet painting technique, and was thrilled with the results. It's definitely a worthwhile project, and would be a wonderful update for your 70's kitchen.

• les917
    14 years ago

Ah, you have my kitchen cabinets - tho not the handles - how odd to place them at those angles!

I have thought about trying to add wide simple moulding around the outside that would hide the routing. Just not sure how well that would work on the narrow drawers.

Otherwise, the filler is another way to go. Or, just paint them a dark color and the routing will become less visible.

New counters and backsplash would be nice, perhaps a nice laminate in a brown quartz look. Appliance color might depend on what you decide for cabinet color, but if you did the cabinets in a deep chocolate brown you might consider bisque or bronze for the appliances. No stainless, imo, if you want the rustic cabin look. You could also do the cabinets in a warm cream color and antique them with something like a tobacco.

New hardware, and I would fill in the holes where the current handles attach. If you go with moulding, then you don't have to fill the holes as they will be covered.

Yes, the scalloped valances need to go. Just be aware than you might then need to replace the fixtures behind them, as those are most often very utilitarian because they were hidden by the valances.

Trash compacter is up to you, but I might lose it and instead put shelves with baskets for open storage.

• mygroovyhouse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great ideas, thanks!

I had also thought about molding/trim, but the edges are rounded and I couldn't figure out to make that work.

I hadn't though about a cream color, but that might look nice and would maybe make the kitchen look bigger. I had wondered if the black would make the kitchen look even more closed in than it does.

Maybe one of these would be better?

Also, I should mention that I will be (hopefully) selling this house so it's going to have to appeal to the public, too.

• robin_g
    14 years ago

Since you're planning to sell, I'll offer my opinion as a future buyer since I will be buying in the next couple of years.

The kitchen looks cave-like, so I'd recommend you go lighter, with a cream-colored cabinet. I think if you simply paint, the routing will be less noticeable. New hardware of course. I think black appliances would look nice with the cream, and a medium colored counter (not dark). You'll want it to look bright and airy for resale.

Robin

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Painting may make that routed detail look ok, and better hardware will make a big difference.

I would think twice about removing the scalloped detail. If you notice your inspirations, there are little details such as brackets, legs and beads...perhaps the scallop can remain as a quirky detail.

You should be able to put a conventional trash pullout unit in the location of the compactor and maybe get a similar door made.

I would replace the counters, but use a laminate. What is going to happen to the two stoves?

• mzdee
    14 years ago

First, I have that stove! It is gas and ancient. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I love having the upper and lower oven. It works great and will not die. I want something "now" but in this economy, it has to be dead or on life support before I shell out so much money. Because it is gas, we have to have a licensed install and pay for a permit, etc. etc.

Anyway, to your question. I would paint the cabinets and add new hardware. If you can't move the scallops because of the light, you could have a straight piece cut to fit. You still have the cover but not the scallops.

They have some beautiful vinyls out there. Take a look.

You've got great bones to work with. Remember life isn't HGTV and people buy houses, not decor.

Happy upgrading!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    14 years ago

Neighbors had their cabinets painted and the painter took a small brush and ever so faintly painted a "shadow line" on the door. The doors were raised panel and he painted around the curved edge of the panel. The paint color was a very faint sage green on the shadow versus creme for the cabinets. It was very subtle. Perhaps this would turn the routing into an asset.

• mygroovyhouse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This was my original inspiration until I fell head over heels over Layla's kitchen. Maybe this would be better with a lighter countertop?

• golddust
    14 years ago

I haven't read anyone's advice, but if this was my kitchen and I intended to sell, I'd replace the scallops with a curved detail, get new doors made for the cabinets, replace the sink and countertops. Then add a simple backsplash. I'd keep the trash compactor and work around it. I see no viable place for a trash can, given the size of your kitchen. I bet it's handy where it is. Function and simplicity, in this house.

Is your stove taken apart in this photo? I didn't get that at all. Do you have two ranges in your kitchen? Maybe the old one doesn't work? Is it missing parts? What is the story?

I wouldn't paint the cabs but I would go for whiter toned countertops and backsplash, since your appliances are mostly white. And get rid of the flooring.

• elle3
    14 years ago

One of the reasons that black kitchen in your inspiration photo works is she has open shelving on the uppers. She has baskets and white dishes to break up all that black. The white beadboard is also a nice contrast. I'm afraid that black cabinets with your layout will definitely make it appear smaller.
    I think the cream you are also considering will be a better fit for your kitchen and will look just as nice.
    I love redo's like this -- I'm sure you will get some great ideas...Good luck!

• mygroovyhouse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah yes, about those two ovens...

The contraption to the left of the sink is something called a "modern maid". It has an oven on top, electric burners in the middle, and then the dishwasher on bottom.

The original owners used that contraption and had an upright freezer next to the fridge. The 'Maid has an electrical problem that causes the wiring to smoke when used, so I put a normal range next to the fridge.

The dishwaher will stay, but the rest of the 'Maid will go and the new countertops and some decorative shelving will cover the hole left by the 'Maid.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• laxsupermom
    14 years ago

This is going to be a bit harsh, so I apologize in advance.

There's no point in worrying about what potential buyers will think of color choices if you don't first address the layout. I know you said that you like the layout, but not having ample counterspace by the range would make this a tearout for a large number of potential buyers and they will adjust their offers accordingly. There is no landing space to the right side and the wall of the frig makes the 2 right side burners difficult to use(overhanging handles & elbow room for stirring) which turns that range into what is essentially a 2 burner range. Having the DW a 24" cab width away from the sink creates a floor cleaning problem. Dishes going from the sink to the DW would leave a dirty drippy trail across the floor.

I love your inspiration pics, but I'd put some serious consideration into adjusting your layout before pulling out the paint.

gam51 over in the kitchens forum reused and reworked her old oak cabs. The end result was truly fabulous. She and her DH moved the cab boxes around, flipped some over, & painted them. Here's a link to her DIY no-mo-oak renovation.

• joanie_b
    14 years ago

What do the of the cabinet doors look like on the inside?

If they're plain and finished as well as the outside, just remove them, fill the holes from the hinges, reinstall the hinges, and use the inside as the outside.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

That combination cooktop and dishwasher is fascinating.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

How long are you planning on living in it before you sell?

If you are happy working in it, I am not sure that I wuuld do an overhaul. I would get rid of the Modern Maid, and the trash compactor--the things that don't work but are taking up space, and do some cosmetics. Then let the new buyer deal with the layout.

Find out what the return on investment a new kitchen makes in your area, and whether a comparable house would sell better as a "needs a new kitchen" or "has a new kitchen"

I say this because of a realtor friend's experience. Her clients spent $50,000 on a new kitchen right before putting the house on the market. They made a certain % on their investment, but not 100%. After the closing, the agent was talking to the new buyers who said "We can't WAIT to get rid of that awful kitchen! We loved everything about the house but that."

I don't know, the kitchen could've been perfect, but it was not what the buyers wanted. For every person who likes your house because it has a new kitchen, there will be one that walks away because they don't want to pay for a remodeled kitchen they don't like.

• charleney
    14 years ago

Joanie has a fantastic idea! wish I had seen this before I removed my cabs. Thanks Joanie I won't forget this one.

• joanie_b
    14 years ago

You're welcome :-)

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Omg

I looked up Modern Maid Range/Dishwasher, and while I found an image of the Upper oven, lower oven version rather than the Upper oven, lower dishwasher...they had almost your Identical cabinets. It must have been a "look".

Perhaps you can use the lower space for the dishwasher and the upper space for an over the counter microwave without range hood.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Sorry to obsess over this but look! They make a combination Cooktop/Oven/DW in Europe, also sold in AU.
    It is called the Candy TRIO. Yours was called a Cook n'Clean Center. (click to enlarge)
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• hartwood
    14 years ago

If this were my kitchen I would:

Move the range over to where the 'Maid' is.
    Move the lower cabinet to the left of the sink to where the range was.
    Install a dishwasher where that lower cabinet was.
    Remove the scallop thingies to open up the windows and let in more light.
    Leave the routing alone ... it will be a fabulous detail once the cabinets are painted.
    Install crown molding around the top and exposed sides of the cabinets.
    Install an over-the-range microwave.
    Add an open shelf beside the fridge above where the range used to be.
    Brushed nickel hardware.
    Stainless steel appliances (you said 'resale')
    Subway tile backsplash.
    Counters, your choice.

Designing other people's kitchens is fun! :)

Connie

• budge1
    14 years ago

You could get the look of the lettered cottage kitchen and still keep it open by painting the uppers white or cream and the lower cabs dark.

I would just do whatever you like and don't worry about resale. It is probably a tear out kitchen for a new buyer. Make it lovely in your eyes.

Our kitchen had that same vinyl flooring - hideous to look at, but it sure hid the dirt. Ours was paired with yellow plastic tile walls, gloss turquoise ceiling and black and white wallpaper. We had a similar stove but with 2 ovens instead of a dishwasher. Kinda miss it actually.

• sidewindette
    14 years ago

In a recent edition of Creative Ideas, a kitchen was renovated. The cabinets were similar to yours, and they covered the grooves with 1/4" plywood and then trimmed them. It really updated the look without spending much money at all.

• mygroovyhouse
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great ideas everyone, this is really helping!

Palimpsest,
    Yes the modern maid has been quite the conversation piece over the years. The little old lady we bought the house from saved the original paperwork that came with the "Cook n Clean" and you should see how happy and liberated our Â70 career gal looks while cooking and cleaning.

Laxsupermom,
    No offense taken at all...these are the kind of ideas IÂm looking for. I love the No-mo-oak revamp. Really, really neat and something to look at closer and think about. I had concerns about the layout when I first moved in, but after cooking in it, I thought it was great. And IÂm saying this as a person with food allergies who cooks most every blasted thing I eat from scratch without a microwave (which reminds me I need to make space for a built-in microwave). I frequently have every burner going and I do lots of canning in the summer and have never had a problem with this layout.

I donÂt pre-rinse my dishes so I hadnÂt thought about the drippies between the sink and dishwasher (and nobody is allowed to stack dishes in the sink...if theyÂre too lazy or pressed for time to wash them or bend over to put them in the dishwasher, then they are to stack them on the Modern Maid until I have time to do it for them). :-)

But, all that said, at one time I had thought about moving the dishwasher over to the right, sliding the fridge in the hole left by the Modern Maid, and then centering the oven and building counter on either side. Does the oven placement or the spaces around the oven in the 3rd picture from the top bother anyone (food falls down there all the time)? It doesn't really have a built-in look and may seem cramped as Laxsupermom pointed out. Whatcha think?

Those who suggested flipping doors around or adding trim,
    IÂm not sure I can explain this and I may just have to take a picture, but the edges are rounded (beveled may be the correct word???) and they look like "B" below, so unfortunately I canÂt do either, though itÂs a great idea.
    http://www.jdktools.com/images/Diamond-Tools/Router-Bits-Shape.jpg

IÂm going to try to put together a rendition or two of what has been suggested with BHG design software and post them. Right now I still have grass growing in the kitchen, so it may be a day or so.

• CaroleOH
    14 years ago

I think you have to decide if you want to go to the expense of replacing all those cabinets before you start swapping and moving base cabinets. Cabinets that have been in place for that many years are hard to remove with cracking or breaking somewhere.

One less expensive idea would be to keep the upper boxes and move around the base cabinets replacing a few here or there to improve your layout. You can buy new pre primed doors and drawer fronts. Paint everything to match.

My first thought was that trash compacter isn't the most attractive thing centered under that window, so if you're going to move things around, I'd replace that with a cabinet. I also like the idea of putting the fridge where the 70's wonder homemaker now sits if you can scoot the dishwasher down. It would be nice to have a countertop beside your stove. But, you're looking at alot of base cabinet changes and/or new cabinets.

I'd do an off white cabinet, with wood floors. I like the contrast of a dark countertop with light cabinets. I like honed black granite, or Wilsonart has a really cool new color called oiled soapstone which looks very pretty.

I think black cabinets would be too cave like with your small enclosed kitchen, but blue or a light green or gray might be pretty. But for resale, I'd stick with white or off white.

• fatquarters
    14 years ago

Gasp, It looks like my kitchen! Not quite, but I have the same cabinets, already painted though. I painted mine years ago. I left the router trim, its not that bad after its been painted really. And I filled the holes from the old hardware, you can't tell the holes were ever there. I replaced the hardware with something more to my liking and replaced the counter with formica. That was about 15 years ago and I am finally now planning new cabinets. They got me through a few years, and kids, and stood up well. I prepped the wood really well.