Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Where is the post about the guy who bought a house flip disaster?

TxMarti
9 years ago

I'm 99% sure, or maybe 75%, that I read a post on GW about a guy who bought a house and then started finding so much wrong with it that he eventually had to take it down to the studs and even drill out the plumbing in the concrete. Anyone know where that is?

I'd check my history but I cleared it yesterday. :(

Comments (21)

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Was it this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Flipping by default

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, it was a guy whose house was so bad and so obviously screwed up on purpose by the flipper that the guy's house had been on the local news. He was also trying to get laws passed so this wouldn't happen to other people.

There was a link in the post to his website showing all the things that had been done to the house, like tv jacks that were only done for show, there was no cable going through the wall.

• User
    9 years ago

I don't know the thread you mentioned but I found this website. I wonder if it is the same guy?

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoodwinked house

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Some friends bought a flipped house this spring. I didn't see it until after the fact. Ugh... there's a punch list a mile long just from the first floor work they did (seller/builder is adding on to the second floor to make it useful space). I'd grade the builder a solid C. There are lots of problems with basics. VERY bad tile work, no waterproofing in the shower or bathtub, recessed lights installed out of alignment, and things like that. They went for finishes that look nice but did not go to the trouble of installing them correctly if that makes any sense.

Some people like them but to me a flipped house is a big "caution" flag.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I live next door to a house that was flipped. It is for sale after being rented for a year or so. I saw the crew that did the work on the outside and it was very shoddy, laughable. I am sure the inside is the same. To add to all that the prior owner did some not-up to-code electrical work then covered it with wall board. How do I know? He called me over and bragged about it.

• carsonheim
    9 years ago

deejaus -- holy cow, that's crazy! I just read that whole blog. That poor guy!

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I just read the whole blog too. I can't imagine...

There was something interesting that I didn't get. He said this was his first house purchase, but also said he went into foreclosure and bankruptcy after an out of pocket surgery eight years prior.

• deickhoff0
    9 years ago

This is why I refuse to look at house that is a "flip", when in the housing market. I don't trust they fixed the hidden issues.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

There was something interesting that I didn't get. He said this was his first house purchase, but also said he went into foreclosure and bankruptcy after an out of pocket surgery eight years prior.

Perhaps he inherited the previous house?

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

It is a crapshoot, but I do have friends who flip for a living and they are perfectionists. I'd buy one of their houses in a minute.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Wow I just read that blog, I hope he has recourse because that house was a money pit of deceptive work.

• chispa
    9 years ago

daisy, I also know a couple who do great work on their flips. A builder and realtor couple. They live in town and are active in the schools/community. They wouldn't stay in business long if they didn't do good work for their own future "neighbors"!

• chispa
    9 years ago

Just read the blog. Wow! Poor guy. I would never recommend fraud, but in this case it would have been better if he had a "cooking accident" and burnt the house down. He is lucky to have a good family and friends, and the ability to do some DIY, someone else might not of had those things to help them deal with this burden. I hope there is a good outcome from the criminal investigation.

• deegw
    9 years ago

Pal recently posted about a bad bathroom update in his new home. When he bought the house he suspected the updates were not done properly but had no way of seeing the problems until he opened up the walls.

• User
    9 years ago

Is this the one you are referring to?

Here is a link that might be useful: What lies beneath.....

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Wow, that poor man on hoodwinkedhouse. I would have so tempted to let that place burn to the ground. All the flooding. Oh man.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

deejaus, that first one is the one I was looking for. I wanted to show it to my dh. I've been looking for a fixer, mainly for financial reasons but also because I like remodeling.

But we looked at one last week, and this was the bathroom someone added (without permit).

They converted a closet that was 3 feet deep. The closet door opens into the hall because there is no room to open into the bathroom. Only about 6 inches from the end of the toilet seat to the door. And there is a shower in there too.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And this is how they made space for the washer in the water heater closet. No permit here either. They had to cut out ceiling joists to raise the water heater.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Fun...

Ours wasn't flipped, but had massive defects that were not disclosed or caught by inspection. I wasn't a big fan of going into a crawlspace at the time so I relied on their expertise. I knew it needed to be remodeled but not rebuilt. I learned how to do the work and basically moved on with life.

Last July...
    Brown rot on a floor joist.

Whaddya mean it's no good? There's still 3 3/4 inches of wood left in this joist!

These didn't survive removing the subfloor.

A few days ago...

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I had a friend buy an apartment building, once he cleared out the basement storage he discovered the previous owner had wired the basement by splicing .99 Christmas extension cords together.....

• rockybird
    9 years ago

schiskal, what a transformation! It's looking amazing! Are those henrybuilt cabs?