Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flipping by default

Posted by tomatofreak (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 16:51

Help, help!! We bought a house while still living in the one we've been in since '86. Our initial enthusiasm has been dimmed (it's gone out) by the realization that 1) the house is bigger than we needed - or wanted - (4 br/2ba + living room, office and family room), 2) it needs way more work and money that we initially thought, 3) it has a huge pool (what **were** we thinking?!) and 4) not enough yard for our dogs and cats.

[Sidebar: If your realtor advises you to skip the home inspection, get another realtor! I can't believe she did this to us.]

The house was built in '66 and is a solid house with popular features of that era, e.g., slump block, low roof line, vinyl tile everywhere (covered later with 'sculptured' pile carpet), 4" tile tub and shower surrounds, underwhelming U-shaped kitchen with wall oven and cooktop, etc. etc..

We've taken up all the flooring; it's down to cement presently. The old black tile adhesive amazingly comes up with Citristrip degreaser.

I really need to save the filthy, grimy cabinets as new ones will blow up our small budget. The same Citristrip stuff seems to be doing the trick. My plan is to paint them. Inside and out.

I will be taking photos along the way for your consideration. Meantime, if you've been in this situation - needing champagne, having money for beer - please do pass along your recommendations. Where can I save most? What should I skip?

I have found so much good information on this forum, I can't believe I didn't find it long ago!

Thanks for any and all advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flipping by default

Have you considered just selling it as is? Unless your market is drastically different than mine, (Prices going up, but no 2006), you are bound to lose money on any quality improvements.

o

A steamer really helps on grimey cabinets to loosen up the old stuff, but clean them up really good.

Hope you tested that black adhesive and kept it damp.........It is often full of the "A" word material.

o

palimpsest, nothing is beyond consideration; we just need to get our money out. Not looking for a profit.

Kippy, I am aware of the "A" issue. That's why no grinding it off. The stripper keeps it wet and it is then wiped and mopped up. Have no idea what's actually in it, but not taking chances.

o

I can't believe a broker told you to skip the inspection! What were her reasons for this advice? Sounds like professional malpractice.

Anyway, do you now own both houses, or are you renting one? If you have mortgages on both, can you rent your first and live in the one you're renovating? Not sure that would generate enough income for two mortgages and reno costs, but worth asking.

o

I think you may want to start by cleaning it really well and putting it on the market and seeing what happens.

Except in a really competitive market, the flippers who make money are those who are in the construction or renovation business, have expertise and economies of scale.

o

Tibbrix, yes we are still in 'our' house, now have two mortgages, utility costs, etc., and are facing a boo-koo bunch of repairs that would have been caught by an inspector. Shame on her; shame on me for letting that detail get by.

The house we're living in has an upstairs apartment and we are thinking of moving up there and renting our downstairs to cover at least one mortgage. Once we get the other house up to snuff, our best option is to try and sell it.

We are NOT real estate investors, flippers or get-rich-quick schemers. We made a mistake. Period. Now we need to fix it.

Yes, cleaning comes first. Now we've discovered that the tiled shower has to be demo'ed because of a leak. Ouch.

o

I'm not convinced you made a mistake. I think you could turn this into a very good opportunity, since you now have two units you cold get rental income from.

I'd move into the new house, live there while you're working on it, and rent the other house and the apartment.

Once the too-big house is fixed up, either sell it or rent it, move back to the other house, and rent the apartment in there.

I think you've got a great opportunity here. Of course, I don't know what your mortgages are or anything, but you certainly have rental income ability.

o

I agree with both Pal and Tibbrix. But it is difficult to give advise since we don't know where you are and how the market is there.

You will get good advise here. Post each project individually and you will get ideas on how to tackle each problem.

So sorry that you have to deal with this, but it does sound like you have options.

There must be something very positive about this home for you to have bought it.

o

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that the agent told you that you didn't need an inspection. Was it her listing? I am sorry you are going through this.

Post pics. We LOVE to give advice :)

o

I don't know what your local market is like, but when I was house hunting I looked at a couple of houses that were estates and sold as "no repairs by owners". They were habitable, they were essentially sound, but there were roof leaks, leaks in the tubs and showers and obvious "cosmetic plus" issues like broken door hardware and cabinets. They were cleaned up really well, but other than that, no repairs were made. The couple houses that I looked at in this condition tended to sell fast in a slow market.

The house that I ended up buying probably had a number of the above conditions at the time the owner decided to put the house on the market, and she had a lot of repairs done. It appears that she contracted everything out to the lowest bidder, and I am having to redo everything that was done, including gutting a 3 year old bathroom that has leaks, had previous water damage covered over but not really repaired, and has electrical work that is so dangerous, I am surprised the house hasn't burnt down.

I think she made these repairs in good faith and like most people was not at all DIY, and wouldn't have had any idea of what was good or bad work. All I know is that the bathroom I am gutting was put in After the house was already on the market and I paid less than asking so the entire amount of money put into that bathroom was a loss to the seller.

My point isn't that you would intentionally do substandard work, but if you are DIY you will be losing time and money and if you have to bid it out, since you will be highly budget conscious, you may get someone who doesn't to very good work.

o

Your post is unclear. Are you still trying to sell the first house? If you are making two mortgage payments and that's why your remodeling funds are limited, I would not even start on those projects until you've gotten the other house sold and have a bit of breathing room before you begin.

o

This is how I interpret it: They bought a house while their first house was still on the market, and now that they have both houses they are Not interested in keeping the one they just bought, but would rather stay in the first house. However, the house they bought has some condition issues that they feel may affect sale this time around.

o

Hmmmm, ineffable, clearly you are a better interpreter than I.

Question--- if they bought the house, why wouldn't someone else? Rather than spending the bucks it will take to get top dollar, sell as is. You probably wouldn't lose as much as it will cost to fix up,

o

Sigh.... I have gone back and forth on these cabinets, but I think they have to go. They've got years of greasy grime that will take soooo much time to get off. Plus, they are terribly old-fashioned and inefficient. There was a wall oven with such narrow dimensions, I can't find another of the same size. The cooktop is easier to find, but the under cabinets are essentially just long uninterrupted plywood shelves. No lazy-susan corner cabs, just dead space.

I'm going to shop for newer, better cabinets. And I need a free-standing stove, fridge, DW and sink (it's cracked).

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:46

o

Oops....

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:47

o

All the cabinets are gone.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:49

o

Pics were taken at first viewing. It was nearly impossible to see anything clearly; the whole house was piled high with stuff. The owner was present and I didn't see just how bad - and filthy - everything was. The realtor just went on and on and on about what a great house it was, how we could do this and that, and what a bargain it was. Well.... NOT!

Anyhow, I'm very happy to get your ideas, suggestions and recommendations for products that might be affordable. With the budget - practically none - and the expenses of two houses, this has to by DIY. I'm hiring cleaning ladies to help me get the dirt out and we may pay for some painting help; otherwise it is just us and he has a full-time job!

o

If you hired the cabinets cleaned and then prepped them, and painted with cabinet coat, I think they might look nice.

o

Oh goodness, what a bad realtor! (shame on her). I ever so hate to hear this dilemma you are in tomatofreak.

Cleaning ladies...check! You will be amazed at how much better your outlook is once you have a clean slate (no pun intended) to work with.

And low to no budget means your creativity will need to kick into overdrive. Paint will become your new best friend. And keep yours eyes open as you pass every flea market/yard sale for any item you can use to your advantage (either as it original intent or disassembled and used as something else).

I see your current project has a cooktop as does ours....a monstrosity that we are need of replacing. The scratch and dent sections of most stores carry products whose warranties are still good on items such as fridge with hairline scratches (in spots no one will ever see) etc for deep discounts.

Rustoleum makes some products for cabinetry re-staining/painting and countertop refinishing. Decent price when compared to cabinetry overhaul. We are going to attempt a power spray paint finish on our cabinets. They are solid but dull and devoid of any style. Yes, I dread the cleanup but I am diving in!

I hope to keep track of your progress....

Oh ps, I would as others have stated go ahead and let the market know you are selling...you never know someone may be looking for your diamond in the rough!

o

Glory be; there may be a light at the end of this tunnel that is **not** a train!! Please cross all your fingers for us. We got a call today from a realtor who knows someone who wants to purchase the house.

This house has killed us. Every time we turn around, there's something to fix, wire, paint, plumb, do, undo, etc., etc.. I posted my kitchen cabinet snafu on that forum and just Wednesday went and bought another set! There are 12 gallons of interior paint sitting there waiting and 1720 s/f of floor to do something with.

On one hand, I'd like to get all the money back; on the other hand, I'm ready to take a loss (minor) just to get out of it. Any thoughts? Anyone else go though an experience like this? (Or are we just complete dummies?)

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:51

o

I vote to get out when you can. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. We just sold our house at a small loss but it was worth it.

o

Get out as quick as possible...

You are losing an incredible amount of money by supporting two places.

Those flipper guys who make money manage to turn the house in 2 or 3 weeks...they know how much is lost in financing costs as well as risking having the market turn against you while you are working on the place.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 21:59

o

I did a double take when I saw photos of that home. I used to take my dogs to a pet sitter in a house that looked just like that. It was full of stuff, too. However, I remembered that you mentioned a large pool. There was none in this back yard.

I do hope you can sell to the daughter. A pool is such a sale stopped.

Can you return any of the building materials that your have bought? If not, I would mention to the potential buyer what you had in mind for the building materials. If they are not interested, sell them on CL or in the paper. If they are interested, do recoup your money for the building materials.

I would price the house (without the building materials) for what you bought it for. You will take a loss for any other cost that you have incurred so far, though.

Please come back and tell us what is happening. You've been missing from this thread for almost 6 weeks. ;)

Crossing fingers for good luck!

o

Maybe some additional wisdom can be found on the buying and selling a house forum? I'm not even contemplating buying or selling yet I find that forum very informative. Good Luck!!!

o

I actually called the realtor back to ask if his 'buyer' is serious. He says "yes" and he will have more answers on Monday or Tuesday. The good news is, he says "please don't paint yet"! I can do - well, not do - that! (Not that I know what to do with all that paint....)

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 18:05

o

Hoping that the realtor comes back with something solid for you. If you have to take a small loss on it, I would just to get out of this situation. The stress can't be good for you.

o

AnnaC54, the stress is killing me. Every other day, I'm on the verge of tears and if I'm not, I'm horribly angry with myself. For some reason the anger works for me and I can work like a robot for hours on end. And then I'm super tired.... Rarely go to bed before midnight or 1 a.m.. I'll be sooooooo happy to have this whole episode behind me. Never again.

o

Normally I would tell you to let the anger go, but since it's working for you.....use it! Hopefully anger will soon turn to joy. I doubt there is one amongst us in the thread who hasn't made a decision for which we later kicked ourselves silly. You asked earlier for opinions about taking a reasonable loss. I vote YES YES YES.

o

Glad that you called the realtor back for some answers. However, you do not want to appear too anxious to sell, or the buyer may wonder if something is wrong with the house and second guess their decision to buy. YIKES

You might say something like..."Sell? Gee, we don't know about that! We have already put so much work into the house...tearing out, buying materials, etc.! "

Act like you really need to think on this. :)

PS - You may want to go around the house and check between the walls, in the attic, basement,,, where ever, to see if you uncover any treasures. Seems a little fishy that this daughter, sister to the person that listed the house, suddenly wants the house. Doesn't it? hmmm Perhaps the daughter and the agent are in on this together to find the millions horded by the parents over the years. hahaha

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 13:56

o

NHB...don't laugh. My mom told me of something valuable that my grandfather walled up in the attic of the house my Mom grew up in. I've often thought about approaching the owners if they would split the value of what I found in there, but that would just be too weird. I've often thought about buying the house, getting it out and then reselling it, but I don't think the value of the "treasure" would cover the real estate transaction fees. But it would be fun to see if it's still there...

o

Finders Keepers????
http://time.com/10118/california-gold-coins-finders-keepers-john-mary/

o

I'm hoping Annie might have something there. Or at least a sentimentalist who really wants that house. If so, you may be able to recover the price you paid, cost of sale including commissions, repairs already done (maybe or maybe not for cosmetic changes).

If you are not made whole by whatever sale you wind up making, AFTER the house is sold, I would be asking some questions about your ability to take action against the realtor who advised you not to get an inspection. Will depend on the state you are in and particular facts, including whether you signed any kind of release, etc. The only time I've heard that was with new construction, though I suspect our neighbors sold a house without inspection when the selling agent also had the buyer.

Glad you've learned some things and hoping you can get out without losing an arm or a leg.

o

i wonder how you can prove that the agent suggested not getting the inspection. i wonder if the sister agent would charge you a commission if you do sell the house.

o

Funny you should mention the 'treasure'. I had that in mind as we went through the house and especially as we were removing cabinets. Friends of mine in D.C. bought a 3-story townhome and split the living quarters. As the wife of one was going over the cabinets preparing to paint, she discovered a nearly one carat diamond ring hanging from a cup hook! Sadly, all I found was dirt, a couple of pot covers, tea bags, gum wrappers and more dirt. :(

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:53

o

Oh Annie. I would definitely get in touch with the owner and ask if you could meet them at the house. Don't tell them why until you are in the house.

You could get a feeling about what type of people they are. If you like them, tell them where to look, and maybe they will take you along up to the attic and offer to share. If they don't share, or even offer to give the object to you, at least you know that the money went to a nice family.

If you don't like them, tell them that you know a valuable item is buried in the house somewhere and let them guess the rest of their lifetime in the house. :) haha

o

Tomatofreak.........any update from yesterday's meeting with the realtor? I fear it's not good news if you've not posted? Or maybe you ave been too busy celebrating. Fingers crossed for the latter.

o

PhoneLady, we (realtor and I) were both running behind schedule and didn't talk till about 6:30 p.m.. He doesn't seem eager to come over and take photos now. I may spend some more time there cleaning the patio and raking up, but don't think I'll do much else. All the cabinets - and a very nice bath vanity - will just sit there, I guess.

I could use some opinions as I'm thinking this over. We've bought washer and dryer, fridge and the cabinets. Should I say that these things can be purchased separately? Only the W & D are installed.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I don't want to be standing there with my mouth open as if I have no clue. Thank you all for being so supportive.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:58

o

Frankly, I am surprise why you would have already bought a refrigerator and especially a W/D - installed - for a house that you were far from finishing in the renovation process. At least you led me to believe that you were far from finishing. ;)

Those type of appliances normally do not go with a house when it is for sale, so offer them for a separate price.

o

Since the cabinets are likely configured to fit in that kitchen, I would include them with the house. If you don't want the washer, dryer & fridge for your own place, I would just say they are negotiable. Then when [thinking positively here ;) ] the offer is presented to you, you have the choice of countering with or without the appliances, depending upon how you feel about the offer.

o

Somehow I repeated the post.

newhomebuilder, I don't seem to do anything according to normal ways. When I realized that the budget for this misadventure was thinner than a shoestring, I picked up every bargain I could find when I found it. After all, there are 4 empty bedrooms in that house where items can sit and wait to be used. I got the nearly new fridge and the (apparently) new W & D for less than $400 for all. I never pay retail and I'm not shy about negotiating sale prices. The used, squeaky clean cabinets were either in a house where they were not used much or extremely well taken care of. There are two entire walls of 42" uppers with @ 6' of glass doors, enough bases to include an island, plus a desk and upper shelf combo. I got the price down to $1,000. Before I left, I noticed a vanity that matched the cabs. As I was paying for that, I saw a beautiful stainless pot rack with all the chains and hooks. The vanity and pot rack went with me for $50.

So, that's why. Btw, all the paint - 4 five-gallon buckets and 2 two-gallon buckets include Valspar, SW and DE in eggshell finish - were all bought to use there and in my current house. All are new, full buckets. I paid $235 for all.

I have no doubt that I could continue to shop, buy - and store till needed - for pennies on the dollar. It's the sweating, the time, the stress, the guilt over making such a bad decision - not to mention the two mortgages and utilities - that is just killing my soul.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 18:29

o

I purchased a similar place last year. It was full of stuff....the guy was almost a hoarder. The house needed both bathrooms rebuilt, water damage in the upstairs one and mold in the downstairs one. The electric outlets all had to be rewired.

In my case I paid cash....and knew of all issues as my DH is a contractor/construction worker by trade. So after working on it for 4 months & paying almost nothing for repairs....it's now rented and it's a GREAT income property. I'm very pleased.

If you need remodel advice let us know....?

o

We were in a similar situation a few years ago. We bought a house near Charlottesville VA (fabulous little house on a private lake) to try to be a few hours closer to our son. I *then* realized there was no way to have a garden of any kind due to the deer population. I must garden..there's no question about that. Same as the OP...what was I thinking!

We had already put down hardwood floors throughout and repainted the entire interior. I learned about Xanax < s >, bit the bullet, put it on the market and it sold within six months (thank the Lord!). We lost our shirts but the stress level reduced immediately.

o

evenshade, that's another thing, the garden. There is no way we would ever be able to accommodate the cats and dogs, many elderly with health issues, or barely the bird. Garden, too? Not a chance.

nicole_, I'm thankful that we requested that all the junk be removed. We thought we could save the kitchen. Wrong! God bless the city, though; they come through periodically with a roll-off box for residents to use. We got rid of a bunch more stuff in that box.

I'm hoping for some good news tomorrow and Tuesday.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:55

o

Assuming things move forward with the daughter (and please let's assume that for now since the alternative is not nearly as nice), I agree with the poster who said to flag anything you don't want to take with you OR might be able to sell separately (if you want to take that on) as "negotiable." That MIGHT even include the cabinets. At this point, you're not even sure what the daughter's plan is for the house. Maybe she loves the bones but knows it's going to be a gut job and has her own vision.

I've found when I'm afraid I am going to be standing there with my mouth open, I rehearse some one-size-fits-all answers. "Let me get back to you tomorrow on that" or " I'd like to discuss that with my -insert one- husband, financial advisor, navel" or "I hadn't considered that, let me crunch some numbers and call you back" or "Hmmm - interesting. I'd like to sleep on that." Do not feel you have to tip your hand about anything on the spot!

Regardless of how this goes in the next few days, have you had a for real home inspection done? Because unless a new buyer happens upon the same nitwit realtor who advised none is needed, it is likely THEY will get one. The daughter's husband may not be swept away with the same nostalgia as the wife. And have you lined up a new realtor who can work with you on determining a fair market value for your house "as is"? Knowledge is power. I had a home inspection done on the last home I sold (even thought it was only 6 years old) because I wanted to get in front of anything that might hold up a sale when I did get an offer.

I doubt the daughter is going to throw out a number if she is interested. She'll want to know what you are asking for it to be sure she doesn't offer more than what you'd accept.

Hope this doesn't come across bossy!! Just brain storming so you can throw my ideas in the mix. Not meant to cause additional stress....you've got enough of that!

o

Sorry I hit the submit button before I edited something. The down side of getting your own inspection is that you have to pay for it. Plus your state may require that you disclose to buyers some of what you found, like radon levels. Point being, I guess I would rather know what others are going to see and do what I could to be prepared for that (repair, allowance in sell price) rather than get all my hopes up with an offer and then have it pulled out from under me. I am sure there are many other posters who may look at it differently, but that approach has worked for me in the past so I only have that to go on. Good Luck.....will be awaiting updates.

o

tomatofreak - Can you come shop for my next new/old house?

I thought that the case and that perhaps you had bought some things at a bargain for the future of your new home, but had no idea that such bargains could be had!

WOW...what a shopper you are!

On the plus side, you would not be losing as much as I thought you would, if a person putting in an offer was to ask for those items to be included in the sale.

o

Tomatofreak, I just want to wish you good luck when you meet with the daughter. Please try not to stress too much, if you can. Even if it doesnt work out that she purchases the property, it doesnt mean that things will not work out in the long run.

I also want to commend you on the awesome deals that you found for your cabinets and appliances!

Hang in there.

PS - did you mention that you have a bird? I have three small parrots, one of whom is snuggling with me right now.

o

PhoneLady, you and I think alike! I always rehearse what I'm going to say in a situation like this.

After not hearing a word from the realtor, I called this morning to say that we are going ahead with painting unless we have assurances that this is a serious matter.

rockybird, I have one little lovebird that made its way here several years ago with his little lady friend. It is one of the strangest sagas of rescue that I've ever had. Sadly, the little blue lady died last year.

newhomebuilder, I have a streak of detective a mile wide and a nose for bargains. Oddly, I detest shopping for myself, but give me a challenge for something like this reno project and I'm all over it! Latest example: We have a self-sufficient 2nd story apartment in our current house. I've had an old, but perfectly working electric coil-burner stove up there for years. Last week I found a much newer glasstop at the Goodwill. Not a scratch and looks like no one ever baked in it. They couldn't test it so they put it on the floor for $25.99. It was a 25% off day, so I took a chance. Brought it home, had to change out the plug, but it all works perfectly. I'll put the old one on craigslist for $50 and let someone take it for less.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:42

o

Beautiful little birds.

"Last week I found a much newer glasstop at the Goodwill. Not a scratch and looks like no one ever baked in it. "

I have a practically brand new glass top in my basement that you are welcome to. We switched it out for gas.

Good for you for putting your foot down about continuing your renovations. Still crossing fingers that it will work out for you.

o

tomatofreak - anything? Hope that realtor/daughter have not been yanking your chain and giving you false hopes?

o

I talked to the realtor this morning. We have a 10:30 appointment Saturday morning.

So, we're like the plane in a holding pattern, waiting.... Meantime, we are not getting much done. Maybe that's a good thing.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 17:59

o

I would take it as a sign to kick back and enjoy your 4th. One more day off from renovations won't make much of a difference in the big picture. About the "sisterhood"......if you really want to have your head spin, check out some of the family related forums on GW. Fingers crossed as always.

o

I do believe I will take the day off! For one thing, it's going to be somewhat cooler today - only 101! - with a 20% chance of rain, meaning it's overcast, but not likely to rain. We had a huge haboob last night with a lot of wind that broke a backyard tree in half. I'm not even going to worry about that today. As Scarlet said, "I'll worry about that tomorrow."

o

Tomatofreak we must be very close to each other. I'm in Gilbert. Big limb broke off tree across the street. Otherwise we had horrible wind and dust but thankfully no damage. We had a backyard tree split in half a few years ago.

o

Oh, this is hysterical! We are indeed in the same neck of the woods.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 18:00

o

"Those type of appliances normally do not go with a house when it is for sale, so offer them for a separate price."

This is VERY much area dependent. I am a retired US Navy Submariner and have thus bought and sold in many different locales - MD, VA, SC, ID, CA, WA, MA, and CT.

The general statement you made is certainly not correct for many of the locals listed above.

Kind of like Closing costs- negotiable, but the general practice varies dramatically place to place.

Good luck to the OP... sounds like you're getting good suggestions.

o

This is a small world! I'm in Phoenix - Arcadia, near Camelback mtn. That haboob last night was crazy. I saw it roll in and swallow the city from my house last night. And the weather is wonderful - in the 80's when I rode my road bike this AM.

Now that I know you are getting those good deals in Phoenix, I feel like I really have not been a smart shopper!

Beautiful birds BTW. I am sorry you lost one. Have you seen the wild lovebirds in the Phx. area?

Hang in there with the house! Please let us know how it goes tomorrow.

o

If it were me, I'd get to the house early with painting gear and have a roller and tray of paint -- or tape and be cutting in when they arrive. Nothing that would be too much effort, but enough to show that you aren't holding your breath (even if you are) Good luck!

o

Wow, and here I thought most everyone here lived in the NE! It is a small world.

I am a bit on pins and needles, but it will never show. I spent years of my working life in tough negotiations and I learned not to blink.

lascatx, your suggestion is close to what I had planned. We had taken bids from drywallers to mud and texture the walls and ceiling in the kitchen and family room. (It was a mess after we tore the soffits out.) We hired one man who couldn't make the schedule work wo went with another bidder who now
wants to rent the house and trade work for partial rent! I'm always leery of deals like this, but it might work out to be a Plan B.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 18:04

o

The showing went very well. I did not disclose the number we need, so we'll see if they make an offer. The fun begins!

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 18:07

o

Oh that's great news!!!

o

Good to hear. Fingers crossed for you.

o

Your story is fascinating. I hope the daughter comes through and you are out of this situation. If for some reason she does not I would sell even if you need to take a loss.

I kind of smiled when you talked about making a bad decision. We all make them. You were just being human. And we all learn from our bad experiences.

BTW- Habitat for humanity's restores are amazing are they not? DH dragged me there when looking for a kitchen table. I expected dingy and dirty, and found the store to be amazing.

Good luck and keep us posted.

o

Such exciting news for you! Keep us informed on the process.

saltidawg - Yes, I understand that appliances like the above mentioned can be included in the sales price, or asked for by the buyer and negotiated by the seller. However, it has not been the norm where I am from (SC and TN) to include those with the house, unless you want to get rid of them. ;)

My husband and I are not in the military, but we have moved 13 or 14 times in 33 years of marriage, and only once or twice was the FF left at a home we sold. Never my W/D. I have had only 2 sets in 33 years. A new FF and W/D would be going with me if I were to sell my house.

o

Keeping fingers crossed for you!

If things don't work out, have you considered putting both homes on the market. A friend who was getting married did that, thinking they would live in the house that didn't sell. Both sold - earlier than expected (before wedding date) and they were able to get an even better house.

o

Topping to send legitimate threads back up the line.

o

mdln, I would like nothing better than to sell both houses simultaneously. However, we have a menagerie of rescued dogs and cats that make it difficult to show this one. Anyone entering the back yard is immediately greeted by a committee of overly-friendly dogs. As you all know, not everyone is a 'dog person'. Showing the interior is just as difficult with cat fur everywhere. I could spend my life vacuuming and there would still be little fur fluffs visible. (And they do get brushed!)

I have ragged on the MOTH for years about building a barn; there's plenty of room for one. He's always had an excuse, but if - no, WHEN - we get out of the reno house, there **will** be a barn/shed/something built so we can confine all the furries and properly show this house.

o

They told you that they want the house without even knowing the price?

Oh, this sounds VERY promising!

o

Sending good thoughts your way.

Maybe you should advertise the current house with rescue groups and shelter folks. I know I could look past fur. I have to (my lab has been shedding like crazy this year)!

Another option would be to list and a great (but acceptable) price and promote a big open house, no showings -- just the open house. Realtors used this in hot markets to induce multiple bidding, but you could try a variation just to control showings to a single time period where you could take the animals out for a while.

o

Any negotiations going on?

o

mclarke, yes they are very committed to the house. The last e-mail from their realtor said they are *still* in process of qualifying. Hmmmmm.... Should it really take this long. They don't have an asking price, nor have they made an offer. So.....

We're going ahead with kitchen and bath renovations - and it's killing us. Somebody mentioned xanax - and I think I'm going to need it!

lascatx, I think I may proceed in that direction. Maybe we're just too sensitive to the whole fur, hairball, barking, jumping issues. I think I will start to empty out the house, taking stuff to the storage unit and then see how I feel about it all.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 18:10

o

This is a fascinating story, but I would delete any identifying information as soon as possible, i.e. pictures, location, sister, etc.

o

Ummmm, had not thought of that. I've been careful not to name names or specific locations. What should I worry about now?

o

"Maybe I should call the sister who sold it? Good idea or bad? "

Bad idea! You should stay out of it. If the 'buying' sister gets wind that you called her sister, all deals could be off. Let the realtor handle it.

Did you buy the house directly from the other sister?

o

I'm with Lascatx, knowing you rescue dogs & cats would tell me you are the type of person I'd want to buy a house from. I prefer giving my money to good people.

Good luck! Agree with other posters I'd edit your post and remove the locations of the houses.

o

mdln, I've taken in two little dogs since this one, but they are both young and healthy. Here's the little budget-buster who was found by a passer-by, no less, who rang the doorbell to ask if that was my dog in the yard. Well, no; all our dogs live in a secure yard. Still, I had to investigate - and then get him to the vet. Broken leg, traumatized, signs of abuse and a wretched mess. You'd never know it now.

This post was edited by tomatofreak on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 18:12

o

Oh, poor little guy. He is so cute!!!

The reson to edit: Do you want the sister to know what you are thinking? It really is a small world. Someone who knows someone, may recognize the story.

o

Until you know if the sister wants to buy it, stop all $pending on it. Don't invest another dollar or minute in it.

If the sister wants to buy, then you have a means of getting out of this situation.

If not, then I would simply demo it--remove flooring, cabs, and fixtures, and then sell "as is," as others have suggested. A demo'd, blank slate will appeal to a certain type of buyer.

For goodness sake, don't spend any more time or money until you know what's going on.

o

If you want to edit your posts, go to your posts. You'll see a little

NEW! Edit Post

on the top right. Click on it. You can then update your post.

The reason is that you don't want potential buyers to know how desperate you are to get rid of the property.

On another note, depending on your market, you may make good. Have you looked at how much a cleaned up, decluttered, and slightly updated, MOVE-IN READY, house would sell for in your area?

I'm no flipper, but I bought a property, painted, CLEANED, fixed a few things (carpet, window), staged the place, and improved the price by 10%. Just by cleaning the place, I made several thousand.

What exactly NEEDS to be done in the house in terms of non-visible, structural repairs (roof, foundation, floors, AC, windows)?

What NEEDS to be done in terms of things that are visible and broken or nasty (appliances, carpet)

What in terms of cosmetics (paint, declutter, clean...)?

Look at redfin for your area to see what is on the market and what sold recently.

Here is a link that might be useful: redfin link

o

Oddly, there's a lot for sale in that zip code, but very little in the neighborhood. And what is, is not comparable.

We have cleaned and cleaned and then some. By the time we're done, it's likely to be the cleanest house around. It has a crisp neat look from the front, but these people did not believe in trees or flowering plants.

I'm going to take the next couple of days off and visit with family. Then, I think I'll start ID'ing busy realtors in the area and have 2 or 3 over for a look-see.

Peony4, everything you've mentioned has been done. It is a stripped house. But like nosoccermom says, to sell on an open market, it may pay off to finish kitchen and baths, at the least.

Many years ago we bought the house next door because we didn't want a crappy rental so close. We gutted and cleaned x10; it was a mess, too. It wasn't expensive and we had time to take time. It was a jewel when done and sold for many times over the price we paid. I'm quite certain that's not gonna happen this time.

o

Most mortgages won't lend for a house in demo'd or stripped-down condition (ie no cabinets, missing flooring etc), so you'll need to replace those items if selling to a non-cash buyer.

o

tinan, that is precisely why we're trying to finish those essential things. The problem with that is that different lenders do not always require the same things, i.e., you might have a sink on one wall, a stove on another and no cabinets - or you might be required to have the entire kit and caboodle. Frustrating...

o

Enjoy the family time, tomatofreak! We all gotta recharge the batteries from time to time. I guarantee it'll all be right there waiting for you.

o

Sighhhhhh..... Murphy's Law rides again. My GD went into premature labor last night and none of us want to leave. I'm sure all will be OK, but sure as heck, if we left, she'd have the baby!

o

Hope everyone is ok!

o

Take care of you and family first.. Is she in another area?

Sorry you have more drama added to your plate. I know you don't need it, but that's how life goes sometimes -- just heaping helpings of more than you thought you could deal with. But you can and will. Patience and perseverance will pay off. Hang in there,

I went into preterm labor with my first son. They got everything calmed down and we eventually got to the point of considering inducing labor when he was 10 days past the due date. It can happen.

I know you will want to be there if something changes, but it might help you not be more stressed or make them more stressed if you worked on the things you can control.

Hang iin there. Wishing you and yours all the best.

o

She's fine; thanks for asking. She spent about 4 hours in the hospital; nothing changed so they sent her home to rest. By the next morning, she felt well enough that she left for cool country where her wildlands firefighter hubby is stationed at this time! And I missed my trip altogether. :(

I do have a diversion, though. I'm keeping her firstborn while she's gone and although he wears me out, he is the best company anyone could ask for.

And hallelujah, the drywall guy is almost done! So much for the "it'll only take two days", but at least it looks good.

I think I'll take a magazine with me and watch my little ray of sunshine bounce at the trampoline play house near me.

o

Thinking positive, positive, positive, posi...... They've qualified and we've given them a price. Hoping this all comes together.

o

Wow! Exciting developments!

o

Any news?

o

WOO-HOO!! The last few days have been **very** exciting.

On July 30, at about 6:30 in the morning, my granddaughter gave birth to a beautiful little girl - IN A MINIVAN IN A PARKING LOT!! Those of you local may have seen her on the news; every media outlet interviewed her and ran coverage. The story was also picked up by GMA, but I missed that one.

Today, we got a firm 'as-is' offer in hand for the house! To say I am relieved is a super understatement. There is still much to do to finish before appraisal and I hope I can pull it all together in time. The kitchen is done except for countertop. All the floors have to be done and bedrooms and baths must be painted. I have appointments lined up for the next few days, hoping to find competent and affordable help.

Cross your fingers for me and beam some positive thoughts my way. You've all been so supportive and I am so grateful for that.

o

So glad to hear things are going well. Hope that all continues. I may have seen the news story you are talking about (dad delivering the baby?),but it didn't mean anything to me at the time. Congrats and good luck!

o

Congratulations! And congratulations! lol How exciting. Hope everything goes smoothly for the sale. You must be exhausted.

o

Oh my heavens........THAT was your granddaughter??!! I saw it on the local news several times and thought they seemed like the most "roll with it" couple I'd ever seen considering what they'd just gone through. Well congratulations to all on the new addition.

The house news is SOOOO exciting. I will definitely be beaming many good thoughts your way. And we'll all try to be patient for updates since you obviously have your hands full.

o

Yes, indeed, daddy delivered the baby. He's a wildlands firefighter and he had taken an EMT class a few years ago. Still, he was much more rattled than he wanted to admit. I must say, though, that he was very composed and beamed through every interview. The baby is two weeks early, but thankfully doesn't need any paint or renovation!

o

The baby is two weeks early, but thankfully doesn't need any paint or renovation!

Congratulations on both counts!

o

Wow. Double congrats are in order! Love happy endings!

o

Congrats on the new GD and the house sale!

o

Well you all have a cool story to tell. And every mom has the "I carried you for nine monhs" but Daddy can join in and say "I brought you into this world..." LOL They will be doubly prepared for the teen (and other challenging) years.

Look forward to hearing when the next chapter on your home's saga.

o

Congratulations!!!! Terrific news! On the baby and house! I'm glad the baby, house, daughter and you are all doing well. :) Wow ... what a couple of stories to tell!

o

You are old enough to have a great-grandchild and be doing everything you are, I am impressed!

Congratulations on both the happy events in your life.

o

Glad your GD took the minivan and not the convertible.....

o

LOL, lee676!

o

Yay!! Congratulations on both the new great-grand-daughter and on the sale of your fixer! That's big news!

o

Oh, my stars and garters, I may need a divorce attorney!! JK, but it is so difficult when your personality is AA on steroids and your partner's is a B- and a Gemini at that. It is *noon* and I just got him out of the house to go get baseboards, something he's known we need for, well... ever since we took 'em out. I pulled the trigger yesterday on tile; didn't even take him with me or we'd still be see-sawing. I'm sure this is all 'normal' - whatever normal is - so just see this as a stress-purging rant. This too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too.....

o

LOL Yes, it will pass. And quicker if he can help get things done to get you to that finish line. I think there is something about the male chromosome that intensifies the procrastination gene. Just a theory.

Hang in there!

o

My husband and son both have that disease!

o

He's a competent man but just can't get to it..... I'm resorting to lists and saying "Do this first - now." I hired a tile installer and a painter today so that should get things moving along. And one room has baseboards! Yoo-hoo!

o

tomatofreak, that's why we hired a handyman, to do all the little things my DH could do, but it would take 5 years. Instead, it's taken 3 days (with about a day's worth of work left to do).

o

I have also discovered (the hard way) that men - at least mine - have no sense of the time or money it will take for a task. When I hear "$50 and an hour", I automatically double the cost and forget the time estimate. It might be tomorrow or next year - or never....

o

With you on that too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here