Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiki_thinking

70s house exterior: part 2

kiki_thinking
9 years ago

Just wanted to apologize for not responding in a timely way to all the helpful comments in the last thread. My mom had a severe stroke, and i've been just trying to handle things for the last couple of months.. But i very much appreciated your thoughts and read everything in the thread very carefully.

We did pick a color we really liked for the exterior, and finally had a chance to put some on the house to see how we really felt about it. Modifications to the houses exterior and residing will have to wait until we get thru the stuff with mom.

But i do wonder about your thoughts on this color with the roof?
And with the window color?
I think ultimately, our fix for the front of the house is to add more windows.

Comments (11)

• User
    9 years ago

I like the color, reminds me of the house linked below. I only scrolled through the pics of your last post but many looked like people were making suggestions that absolutely do not fit the contemporary style of your house. I like the idea of larger windows or more windows but hope that whatever you decide to do is in keeping with the house's style. Also, glad you are painting instead of installing vinyl siding, looks much nicer.

Here is a link that might be useful: contemporary house

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I do not recall your original post but I think the colors are true to the period of the home. I don't know if you want to make a major redo or exactly what, but I like the colors. I would just repaint and if a roof is needed, put the same color.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I'm very sorry about your mom. I'm going through a similar thing, and it's very hard. I wanted to link the original post so people could see more of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: 70s house exterior: part 1

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I hope your Mom is rehabbing well :) My grandma is having health issues, as well, so I know how that can put the brakes on things.

I think the color looks fine with the roof and trim. What color is that? It looks a dark gray, with maybe green or blue undertones on my screen.

• awm03
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry about your mom. How is she doing?

I really like that paint color/roof color combo. Funny, but when biking about this weekend, I noticed two houses that had similar siding & roof color as your sample and thought they looked great. Your roof is reddish brown? I used to think that was a hard roof color to work with, but the sophisticated dark brownish gray siding colors worked really well with it. Also saw a blue gray, & some golds, & a plain tan, and a white that worked with that roof color.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I like the new paint color and agree it is very in keeping with the style of your home. On my monitor it may be a little too gray for the roof color, but only just slightly. I do think an additional window would be a great idea.

So sorry about your Mom. Dealing with her illness and trying to do things with your house are not easy.

• kiki_thinking
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your opinions and your well-wishes and sympathy, much much appreciated.

My mom had a major stroke and is fairly impaired. Rehab has been 'successful' but her deficits are still major and she will never be independant again.

House projects are my own personal happiness therapy, so i am often mulling over house things to escape my cycle of worry.
    My3dogs and errant, you have my empathy and prayers.. Hope things go as well as circumstances permit..

The paint color is a custom sherwin williams color. In some light it looks like a complex brown, in some lights a green that you might find in camouflage pants, in some lights it looks like a warm dark charcoal gray--

And btw athomeinva, the liess house you posted, i had been directed that way before to her blog, but had not seen it repainted. I love the sw andiron on her house. I had considered it for this house but my husband wasnt comfortable with the black. I have saved pictures of black houses for years, so i know i'll be happy in a darker house.

Anyway, it's very reassuring to have some extra eyes on the color, and awm thanks in particular for telling me you thought that the reddish brown and grayish is tasteful.. That's hopefully what i'm going for.

We had a huuuuge tree fall on our house and tear up the roof, rafters, chimney, and then it destroyed our deck. The deck project is finished tomorrow. I'm very excited about it. We used glass panels instead of spindles to preserve the view of the woods. We have 90 days to wait before we stain, so after the house is repaired (woodpecker holes!!!) and stained/painted i shall most likely be back asking what color to stain my deck..

• kiki_thinking
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closeup of the color, one coat, gets much darker with the second..

• kiki_thinking
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closeup of the color, one coat, gets much darker with the second..

• kiki_thinking
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just an update...
    Almost finished painting..
    Sometimes I like it, sometimes I think it looks too solidly dark. Eventually we will make some facade changes, and probably add some stonework..
    The color is brown/gray/green and occasionally looks purple at dusk.
    Our next hurdle is choosing a color to stain the deck.
    What do you think?
    I'd welcome your honest opinions...
    Our feedback from the all neighbors is almost completely complimentary.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Very striking! Works well with the roof color, looks modern. I like it a lot.