Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottonpenny_gw

Bathroom redesign - urgent!

cottonpenny
11 years ago

We are in the midst of a new build. One of the first decisions I had made was to copy PPS7's awesome bathroom as I saw on here.

He/she used American Olean Catarina faux carrara marble tiles, carrara marble counter, espresso vanities, and RH Cartwright medicine cabs.

Well, the espresso vanities were ordered on Friday, the medicine cabs are framed in, and the counters are just awaiting me going to choose the slab. But the AO Catarina tile is indefinitely unavailable. Both of the tile stores I'm working with say that they are showing me everything they have in honed Carrara-look, but they are a lot more pricey and a lot more ugly IMO.

So I'm back at square one. An entire bathroom of real Carrara is out of my price range.

Would it look silly to use a teak-look porcelain tile on the bathroom floor and Carrara marble subways in the shower? If I do this, should I try to change my vanity order to white painted vanities?

Here is a link that might be useful: pps7 bathroom

Comments (25)

• porkandham
    11 years ago

Have you looked online for Carrara tiles? We recently added a master bath and used honed 12x12 Carrara on the floor, Carrara basket-weave on the floor of the shower, white porcelain subway tiles on the shower walls, and honed Carrara slab on the expresso vanities. We did it on a budget!

• lizbeth-gardener
    11 years ago

We did a bath recently in dark (walnut) vanity and medicine cabinets with polished carrara vanity top, honed carrara hex on floor and white subway in shower. I like the look. We got the carrara online but don't remember how pricey it was. It's worth checking though.

• bbstx
    11 years ago

Have you looked at Daltile Navelli Carrera Star? The thread linked below discusses AO Catarina vs Daltile Navelli Carrera Star.

I'm crushed to hear that AO Catarina is in short supply! If I can ever get a price on the vanity I want, I intend to use that tile.

Here is a link that might be useful: AO Catarina vs Daltile Navelli Carrera Star

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Daltile is out too - they are sister companies. They are apparently changing manufacturers, so theoretically they both should be back in stock at some point.

I'm not 100% sure I want the maintenance of real carrara in the whole bathroom.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, bbstx. I've looked at those, and the first and last are calacatta, which is more beige. And I don't think I'm going to like how it looks with my carrara threshold/shelves/counters.

And I can't figure out where to buy the porcelanosa around here.

No one thinks the teak-look tile would give a spa sort of vibe?

• bbstx
    11 years ago

cp, the showroom where I found the Porcelanosa is not listed on their website. The state isn't even listed! I'm not sure how I found it. If it interests you, perhaps you ought to call the company on Monday morning and find out if they have a dealer in your area.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Eleganza has some decent marble look tiles. I'm linking to one but there are others.

Oh, and at the other end of the scale, a couple of the new Merola special order tiles from HD aren't all that bad, especially not the one that's through-body porcelain.

Here is a link that might be useful: eleganza

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

And if you haven't seen it, take a look at this thread in the baths forum:

Here is a link that might be useful: marble look tile

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I wish I had time to go and chase the perfect marble-look porcelain. I really wish I did. I don't - I was supposed to have my flooring selections done like last week. I'm stressed and upset and I just want to throw money at this problem and get it solved!

I think real marble on the shower walls will look great. It will erase my doubts about it matching the carrara shelves/thresholds/etc. I'll get it honed. I'll do 2x2 unglazed white tiles on the floor. Hopefully the maintenance won't be awful.

I can't do marble on the floor. My DH doesn't have good aim some days. It's probably for the better anyway. I have long dark hair - at least for now before it goes all grey - and I probably should never have considered a white floor to start with, cause I shed more than my dog. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

I bet I can change my vanity to white paint at this point. Found a picture of positano's bathroom. It's gorgeous. It'll be fine - right?

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to positano's bathroom

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I think the wood-look tiles are a great idea. They'll add a warmth and an organic feel, and be easier to keep (looking) clean to boot. Personally, I'd keep the espresso vanities. Combination of marble + espresso + mid wood-tone + tranquil paint (RH silver sage-ish?) would be wonderful IMO.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Yes, you can't bet the price of the AO Coliseum tile! I gutted my bathroom & used that floor and wall tile several months ago. It was even cheaper than Lowe's subway tile...(which is pretty darn cheap.)

Have you looked into Daltile's Navelli Carrera Star? It is a little warmer than the AO product, & a bit pricier (what isn't?) but not hugely expensive by any means.

Also, I know Lowes sells a beautiful real carrera basketweave tile. Just a thought. Good luck!!!

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I, too, think I would keep the darker cabinets with the wood look tiles. It'll have a richer look.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Here are pics of my re-do using the Catarina Coliseum tiles. It's a poor woman's version of PPS7's bath. My vanities are from Home Depot, as are the real marble countertops! You can click on the pics to see them bigger, & view as a slideshow.

I really do send you my best wishes. I so wish you could get your hands on the AO tile! I feel for you, having to modify your plan, but it will be super.

This re-do was a big step in my life, as I didn't have a GC. Finding that tile was a Godsend. AFTER I found & purchased the tile, I searched on the internet! Then I saw PPS7's bath & decided if this material could yield results like hers, I was on the right track! I certainly am pleased. I don't have all the high-end details she has, but for a budget re-do, the space is so much more pleasing than it was before.

Again, good luck, and let us see the results!

Here is a link that might be useful: bath before/after

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Hi, stinky-gardener. Your link leads to a page that says "this is a private album".

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Oh, Fiddlesticks! Thanks, Writersblock! I went public.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gorgeous bath, stinkygardner! Your vanities are really pretty and I really don't think it's "poor" at all!

I'm really sad I can't get the AO tile (or the Daltile - it's out too). I'm so shocked there is nothing else out there like it. Everything they show me that they say is "honed" has that regular ceramic sheen to it which the AO doesn't have. Then they look at me like I'm crazy that that's the thing that's bothering me. Plus, they aren't rectified and would have to have a bigger grout line. And are more expensive. And I just can't see paying more money for something that I like less!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Thanks, Cottonpenny! Oh, no Daltile either? Jeez. No, don't pay more for something you like less. That makes no sense.

Here in VA my tile store stocks the AO in all three colors. Wasn't even a special order. If I could, I'd get it for you & mail it, but that would be a little pricey what with postage, LOL!

You'll come up with a beautiful solution, Cotton. Your choices are lovely & you obviously have a flair for pulling things together.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

What is up with Daltile/AO? Their websites are totally changed (very trashy compared to what they had) and show a very limited amount of regular tile--lots of real stone tile now. Disappointing. I couldn't find Catarina even with a search now. :(

Thanks for fixing the album, stinky-gardener. Lovely bath. I wish I could have a chandelier but my baths have 7 ft ceilings.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know what's up with them - I've heard that they are changing suppliers/manufacturers of the tile and therefore they pulled all the samples, etc. Supposedly it's coming back but it's not really guaranteed when.

I found this wood-look tile at the Tile Shop today. Yes or no? (shown with carrara and cabinet color which looks black, but is actually a very deep espresso brown).

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bump?

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Sorry, Cotton, I was gone most of the day yesterday, & I'm having rotten wood replaced on the house exterior today. Busy morning.

I'm wondering about a more espresso colored "wood" tile? The one pictured is feeling too orangey to me. I think (just my opinion) that limiting colors with a look this clean & simple but elegant, is the way to go. I'd do a tile that is as close as possible to the vanity, then use light area rugs, maybe in your wall color, or white rugs with wonderful, luxurious texture. Elements on the floor in your cool metals, such as your trash can or towel stand, etc., will also provide contrast & interest.

The way I envision it: Wall color, marble, espresso. Not wall color, espresso vanity, mahogany floor, marble. (Fwiw!) Too many different colors & elements will interrupt the flow, imo. (Others will surely differ on this!)

This is a very restrained look you are creating. My take on it is to edit the superfluous.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Here's a pic with your elements & espresso tile flooring:

Here is a link that might be useful: [Bath[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/oki-want-my-pre-engineered-wood-floor-dsvw-vd~24782)

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Here's a pic with your elements & lighter flooring. It looks good...a more casual mood.

Here is a link that might be useful: lighter floor

• fluffygrrrl
    11 years ago

I'm in the same predicament. I really want carrera look, not the calcutta that Lowes has replaced it with. If you can't wait, I wouldn't use 2 colors of wood. I would paint the vanity BM dove white, and use the deep ebony color in wood look tile floor

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH