Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Can I paint a bathroom green?

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

I'm talking about an upstairs hallway bathroom, the "kids" bathroom.

I painted it Constellation, and it's pretty scary during the day. (see linked post for the saga). The hallway is Baltic Gray (with Wrought Iron ceiling). I don't want to go too dark in this room with the paint. (The cabinets have just been gel stained espresso and the floor will be a dark porcelain tile that looks like wood.

I have bits of green (pear green, wasabi, that sort of thing) in the house. I would like to do this bathroom a shade of green....not sure if I should do Wasabi up there since I have it downstairs and it is "special" by keeping it there. I'm thinking of dill pickle or something that isn't your grandma's green, you know what I mean?

Palimpsest had cautioned me once on Not using green in the masterbath due to "make-up" issues, and it really is a valid point. But what about a hall bathroom? I think the green would look sharp, otherwise if I go with another gray I am facing being shunned by the entire family. (And this group really sees anything that isn't a "color" as gray. It doesn't help that my ds is also colorblind and in his eyes, most things are gray!)

Here is a photo of the dill pickle in a stairway from Houzz. I have my suspicions that it doesn't look like this in real life--since the other color is Mesa Verde Tan, and I have that sample and it looks nothing like the photos!

div>

contemporary staircase design by san francisco interior designer Amoroso Design

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Bathroom Thread--the nightmare

Comments (22)

• User
    12 years ago

I just painted the bathroom where I apply my makeup BM Warren Acres and I don't think it affects my "face spackling job" in a negative way at all. I love light green in baths. I've actually read that it's a good color to use in a bath. I think it all depends upon the lighting. Individual mileage varying, and all that.

• azwildcats70
    12 years ago

Hey Beekeeperswife!

Have a look at Pottery Barn Kids - they have some fun greens in their BM Paint colors.

Benjamin Moore�
    Natura� Paint
    Country Green
    $6.49 � $50.99 Internet Only

Benjamin Moore�
    Natura� Paint
    Garland Green
    $6.49 � $50.99 Internet Only

Benjamin Moore�
    Natura� Paint
    Potpourri Green
    $6.49 � $49.99 Internet Only

Benjamin Moore�
    Natura� Paint
    Stem Green
    $6.49 � $49.99 Internet Only

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jen, you crack me up. I had posted this picture and said that the green really didn't impact my "spackling" either...

az--I like the photos I'm seeing of the stem green. I panicked at first at the PB Kids thought tho---my youngest is 19. I guess I'm stopping on the way home to get some paint chips.

shhh, don't speak of this to my dh

• User
    12 years ago

I think green is really pretty in a kids or guest bath. Our first floor 1/2 bath is SW Celery Green. I think it's probably too light for the direction you want to go, but I love how crisp and fresh it looks which seems to be the case with most all the lighter greens.

• amysrq
    12 years ago

I used Martha Stewart Honeydew (think Chic Lime) in my powder room at my former summer house. I looked "fabulous" in that little tiny, screamin' green of a phone booth. Fast forward to my current house....DD wanted the same color in her bathroom. It looks great with the navy in her bedroom, but because the lighting is different (bad), I look like death in there. My point is that I don't think there are any absolutes. Lighting matters a lot. How the mirror is positioned relative to the lighting makes a difference. How large the mirror is and how much wall surrounds it is probably the greatest factor in my two bathrooms...why one worked and the other didn't. I look good in that particular green, too. So, if the walls, mirrors, lighting and all the stars in the sky align, it's a go. YMMV :-)

• sas95
    12 years ago

We have a green hall bath and love it. And green floors, too. I think it's a pretty and tranquil color to use in a bathroom.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

I'd do it!

I had a client who used Dill Pickle in her 1st floor powder room and it looked really great. She used it with black & white floor tile and accessories.

I also love the color I just used in my sunroom/office, which is a somewhat quieter green -- BM Mesquite.

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Bee, I love most earthy greens (some favorites are FLowering Herb, Baby Turle, Ryegrass to name a few), but I think it is going to take a special green to go with your Baltic Gray. I'm thinking brighter, but not your typical pastel - perhaps a "limish" but not too "neonish". I'm not making much sense, but you have such a flair for color, you will get it.

I think you are right about the Houzz picture - the Dill Pickle green I have seen is not that pretty. It can look very dirty or murky looking and I can't see it looking good with gray. Kind of like Baby Turtle in the wrong light.

My3dogs Ryegrass BR looks similar to the Dill Pickle above, and I know IRL Dill Pickle is not as soft and clear as Ryegrass.

Don't you have a green in your LR with some gray? Is that the Wasabi? If I remember correctly, it looks great!

Are you really going to see a lot of the hall from the BR?

Tuesday

• hlove
    12 years ago

We recently painted our downstairs bathroom a deep emerald green and love it...I know it's probably darker than what you are thinking, but here it is anyway. Bathroom has a west-facing window.

BTW, it's Mythic Paint's Putting Green in semi-gloss.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just home from the BM store. Anybody familiar with Wales Green & Pear Green? 2028-50, 2028-40.

They look bright and happy but not neon-ish.

Thanks for the above ideas.

• jenniferPA
    12 years ago

Recently painted our downstairs bathroom BM Georgian Green, love it.

• User
    12 years ago

Our one bathroom is painted Laura Ashley Olive4 and I have not problems with makeup and don't see a green cast over my face while in there.
    I'd say get some samples because green could end up making you look funky depending on your lighting and how much the room gets.

Hlove - That green is sharp looking!

• awm03
    12 years ago

hlove, what a great bathroom color! It's invigorating -- looks so clean with the crisp white.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    12 years ago

Tuesday and I are thinking alike! I saw the pic above and thought that it looked quite a bit like my Behr Ryegrass. Not the best photo, but here is it in a 1/2 bath.

• hlove
    12 years ago

sheesharee & awn03: thanks! DH loves saturated color, so I figured this bathroom with lots of afternoon sun would take it well. It's still a work in progress, though.

saypoint & my3dogs: I absolutely love your bathrooms!

Saypoint--I love that you did brass-toned fixtures....I'm currently in love with these finishes for our old house and would like to do them when we add a master bathroom. But DH thinks they look dated because they were in his childhood home, with commonplace late 70s/early 80s decor, mind you...much different from what I am envisioning and what you have done!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well, well, well

those are some lovely bathrooms.

Here are some photos I found of Wales Green and Pear Green. Two of the photos show a room painted with stripes, one from each color on the paint strip. Pear Green is the bottom one and Wales Green is right above it.

Pear Green:

Pear Green:

The photos were found on the web from a Google search, not sure of the exact source.

• les917
    12 years ago

Our upstairs bath (which all four of us use, we have only one bath upstairs) is painted a dark moss green. I wear makeup every day, and have never had a problem because of the green. The lighting is the key. Light your face well, and the wall color just doesn't matter.

• itltrot
    12 years ago

We too have a green bathroom. SW Jade Market. My lighting is a little sketchy but I've never had makeup issues other than jabbing my eye with mascara and that's probably not related to the green.

• User
    12 years ago

Ohhhh ... you guys are killing me with the gorgeous greens! I want 'em all in my house! But I guess that would be odd. ;-D

LOL @ the Witchipoo pic! I've looked like that more than a few times myself ... but not due to bathroom wall color or lighting.

• B H
    12 years ago

Geez. I had finally talked myself out of doing Valspar Bamboo Leaves in our master bath but now seeing all this green, I'm starting to think things over for the master & bathroom altogether!

• ideamom
    12 years ago

My bathroom is Sherwin Williams Svelte Sage. It's a pretty grayish green.