Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauracrawford28

Kitchen color ideas

lauracrawford28
9 years ago

My kitchen is going to be north facing and shaded by trees. The cabinets are going to be white stained with sable glaze and medium wood flooring. I originally had planned on using svelte sage or a comparable gray/green but since have been told that won't be the best idea to help keep it light and bright. I don't really want to use yellow but not opposed to a creamy yellowish color. Any ideas to keep a north facing kitchen bright? Thanks

Comments (23)

• nhb22
    9 years ago

What are your counter tops?

I like the two colors that AnnieDeighnaugh has featured in the following link. I think that both colors would brighten up a kitchen and look good with white distressed cabinets. ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Guest bedrooms

This post was edited by newhomebuilder on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 16:10

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My counters will be Napoli granite

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My counters will be Napoli granite

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have recently been thinking of using Sea Salt by Sw but am sadly afraid that may turn out dull and gray in a low light room.

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about creamy buttermilk by Glidden? It is slightly yellowish but more beige.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I love SW, Jersey Cream. It is a creamy, beautiful color.

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have definitely looked at the jersey cream. It is very pretty, but I'm afraid I am going to get tired of the yellow. I was hoping for something more creamy beige if I have to do yellow. What about Ivoire SW?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

In a north-facing room shaded by trees even?

Blue, with good lighting.

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, Tibbrix, north facing and shaded by trees. This is my first house build and unfortunately didn't think anything about which way the rooms would be facing when I had the house plans designed. I have always heard that you should build at least 2 homes, one to learn what you want and the other you know what you want! What shade of blue would you suggest? I am thinking of doing Sea Salt SW or Glidden Gentle Tide in my daughters room and bath. Would that be too light?

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

I just chose SW Sea Salt for my laundry room, which is probably the lowest light room in the house. The floor is a white tile and the cabinets are white. Washer and dryer will be white when we get them.
    When all lights are off the Sea Salt does have a grey-green cast to it. Depending on which lights are on it changes color, which is one of my favorite characteristics of both the sea and that color.
    It won't be a vibrant color if you choose it, but it is a soft, calming color. Try painting a board using one of their $5 tester pots and put it in your kitchen and live with it a few days.
    My poor husband painted up, including primer then color, more than a dozen of those test drywall boards for our house. I rejected as many colors as I chose. It made a real difference seeing a large swatch of color in the actual rooms.

If you want a color that is similar but much less likely to go grey on you, look at SW Topsail.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What is the lighting, both natural and artificial, like in your daughter's room?

My personal opinion is that rooms that don't get a lot of natural light do better with colors with some depth to them. That makes up for the lack of light.

I have Nantucket Fog in a north-facing bedroom, which also has all white furniture, and it's beautiful, esp. at night when the lights are on.

My favorite blue is BM Van Courtland Blue. IMO, it's kind of a perfect blue. I've got it in my kitchen, which gets no natural light, and another sitting room, which gets natural light only in the morning. I love it.

I also think blue would work great with your sable glaze.

I think the two questions to ask when deciding on paint color are, "What is the lighting in the room, both natural and artificial?" and, "How do I want to feel when I'm in this room?", i.e.: calm, cheery and upbeat, elegant...

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Crystal Blue, BM
    Goldtone, BM

• Bunny
    9 years ago

You say your cabinets are stained white. Not sure what that means. I have creamy white cabinets (BM Cloud White) with an eastern exposure, plus northern light coming in from my adjacent dining room. There's a strong influence of green from foliage outside which I can see at various times of the day. It's fine, but green on the walls will intensify it.

All my walls are SW Antique White, a french vanilla shade. It never yellows. Depending on the time of day, it can range between soft light tan to warm sunshine. It never calls attention to itself. In the late afternoon it is sublime.

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix- my daughters room lighting will be one window facing east and an overhead ceiling fan and/or small lamp. Her room is 12x12 so not too big.
    Linelle-The cabinet maker calls the white stained cabinets pickled white. The wood grain shows through slightly but they look painted white. I will attach a pic but it doesn't do them justice!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

So, your daughter's room gets morning light, presumably. From @ noon on, it doesn't get any direct natural light.

The Sea Salt should be okay, but nothing spectacular, would be my opinion. Maybe a couple of shades darker? BM Quiet Moments or Mount St. Anne (which is an absolutely gorgeous color).

Assuming you don't have a lot of wall area in your kitchen, and your kitchen doesn't get much natural light, with those cabinets, I'd paint the walls a rich burgundy. It would be gorgeous.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Something like this color. It wold be stunning with those cabinets.

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, I had never thought of something dramatic like burgundy! The kitchen area is about 23ft x 16 ft. It will be a kitchen /dining area together with a 4 or 5 ft island also. So there won't be a lot of wall space on the kitchen side but there will be a large long wall on the dr side. It is also partially open to the LR, which I am undecided on the color also:/ I am getting a sectional that is a drab olivey brown. Mainly because I have a 2 year old that has made a mess of the light colored furniture I have!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

then the burgundy would be perfect, and stunning. Perfect, also, for a room that doesn't get a lot of natural light. You'll feel really good in there. It's not a color you want to use on a large area of wall, but it's perfect for what sounds like your kitchen. It'll make the room FEEL wonderful, and it'll make your cabinets really pop (sorry for using an overused term!).

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

See? Gorgeous! But not at all garish or overpowering. I think it's elegant.

• lauracrawford28
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wow! What color do you think would be close to that? It really is beautiful!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love Benjamin Moore Dinner Party. The link below even has a pic of it in a kitchen. However, when you click on that pic, a different one comes up with a different color.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Dinner Party AF-300

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

What you want to be careful of, when picking a red, is that it doesn't go purple on you once you get it on the wall. Watch out for raisin undertones. It's the undertone of a paint color that is important and which you want to know when picking a color.

I'm sure others can find nice cranberry/burgundy reds. I also LOVE the BM Wiliamsburg collection, which has two great reds. "Palace Arms Red" and "Carriage Red" (Palace Arms might be a bit too purple), which would look great with your antique cabinetry. the carriage red is really beautiful.

Front door in BM Carriage Red

Here is a link that might be useful: Benjamin Moore Carriage Red