Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bird_lover6_gw

Would you share pics of your painted furniture pieces?

bird_lover6
12 years ago

I've seen some beautiful work here, but am having trouble finding threads with the photos. I need ideas for colors.

If you have photos, would you please share what paint color you used? Or link to your posts?

Thanks so much!

Comments (44)

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

I rarely paint furniture for our home use because we prefer stained, but when I need inspiration for my business I look at the link below....

Here is a link that might be useful: Patina Furniture

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

Are you asking about decorative painted or just painted one color? There is a blog I visit called Before and After that has tons and tons of painted furniture. I know of a few others too I can pass on to you if you are interested.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

I created a HUGE Gallery posting full of tons of pictures of painted furniture over on the Decorative And Tole Painting Forum. If you're looking for fun, cute, pretty, or elegant ways to decorate furniture, you'll find loads of ideas there. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted furniture and household objects

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Oceana,
    Wow, who is the artist that paints the "bright/intriquite" furniture? The dry sink and then a bunch of other examples shown below. I'm ready to paint! You continuously inspire.

• emagineer
    12 years ago

Never mind...found the website. May not be for everyone, but I love this stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pam Design

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

My little recent project:

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

Have you seen Juddgirl's painted/glazed hutch. I think it is awesome! I am attaching a link to it. Hope she doesn't mind.

Tuesday

Here is a link that might be useful: juddgirl's hutch

• brittone2
    12 years ago

When I think painted furniture, I think Miss Mustard Seed's blog. Lots of tutorials and tips there. I love how she mixes the stained wood tops on many pieces (waxed often times) with the painted finishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: miss mustard seed's blog-painted furniture

• paintergirl94
    12 years ago

I have lots of painted pieces, and if you'd like any of the *formulas*, let me know. Here are a few pics, but I have many more...
    BTW, what kind of furniture are you planning to paint? Light? Dark?

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Emagineer, thanks for the kind words. You are always such a sweetie. I'm sorry but I posted that so long ago I can't tell you. Perhaps if you google "painted furniture" and view "images" you will be able to find the pictures you're looking for, and thereby discover the artist.

SueB your project came out looking great. I love what you did with the low center area, and your meticulously painted gold trim. And the little drop handles look great. Nice work!

Paintergirl, those are gorgeous! Yes please I would love the formula for that first pic.

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Emagineer, sorry I didn't notice your second post. Glad you found it. I agree, she does amazing work. Very cheery and eye-catching, with great use of color.

• rafor
    12 years ago

Here's a pic of a free craigslist dresser that I painted and re-purposed as a buffet in the dining room. I have a dark pine hutch I also got free on craigslist that I want to paint a la Mackenzie Childs or like the site emagineer posted. Fun fun!

• User
    12 years ago

Oceanna! I've missed your eye candy threads!!

• bird_lover6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, folks! I guess I meant refinishing furniture with a coat of paint as opposed to stripping and re-staining. I love looking at all your photos, though.

I started sanding today, and I had so much fun! :) This is much more fun than scrubbing toilets. hehe

• oceanna
    12 years ago

Thanks for the sweet words, Lukkirish! That was a fun thread, with tons of pics and it never got posted to this board, so I figured most of you didn't know about it. I am fascinated by painted furniture, as you can see. As for my regular Gallery threads I do here, I update them from time to time and it's almost time again. :D

Bird_lover, that's funny. What did you think of the bird dresser in my link? I thought of that one when I saw your name.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

Beautiful pieces posted! I just love painted furniture.

My favorite (but most difficult) project was the orange pine hutch I painted with BM Baby Turtle and finished with a glaze. Tuesday posted a link above - thanks Tuesday for the compliment! It's in my foyer and I still love looking at it every time I walk through the door.

Right now I'm in the middle of painting 2 dressers for DD's room makeover. I used the same paint/espresso glaze technique but her room is done in cream, white and pink so I used SW Ultra White as the base color.

I painted an entire bedroom set for DS's room in a distressed black finish. The total cost for 3 pieces of solid wood furniture (dresser, desk and nightstand that I found on CL, ebay and garage sales) plus paint and new pewter knobs/pulls was less than $150. I used a few coats of RL paint, sanded down the edges, stained the exposed wood, and finished them off with a couple of coats of Varathane.

Happy painting - be sure to post before and after pics!

DD's dressers (in progress):

#1 before (veneer was in really bad shape so I stripped it off the top - solid wood is so much easier to work with!)

after:

Dresser #2 (before satin finish coat)

DS's dresser

• bird_lover6
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oceanna, I LUV that bird dresser! I love decorating with bird motifs, but I try not to be over the top about it. (And "birds" include roosters in the kitchen. :) )

Juddgirl, I love your work. I was searching for your hutch but couldn't find it. I think your glazing is perfection. I see too many pieces with too much glazing for my taste, but I love your work.

I haven't chosen a color yet for this little console that I'm painting first, although I am leaning towards an "orangey" color. My dining room walls are dark brown, and my curtains are the Pottery Barn Peyton in ember. I think an orangey console table in my foyer would really pop and I want to bring that color into the foyer, anyway.

I was going to move the curtains to another room and paint my chairs orange, but I like the console idea much better.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

thanks, birdlover. I'm not fond of overly glazed pieces either and try to wipe off most of it so it just dirties up the paint a bit and stays in the crevices. It's a bit tedious "wiping on and wiping off" just enough but not too much, but I think I'm getting better with practice.

I saw a technique on a boutique's how-to website - she paints the piece, distresses with sandpaper, chains, hammers, etc. and then coats it with stained Danish Oil. Wipe off after a period of time and the stain stays in the crevices. Seems a lot easier and I'm going to try it next time.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

juddgirl - beautiful!!!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Juddgirl--that white dresser is beautiful. It looks better than the "boughten" (lol) distressed, off white, Paula Deen stuff in my master bedroom. You must be talented.

Boughten is a sophisticated, leftover word from my childhood.

Love the knobs too.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I see that you are looking for solid color examples, but this site shows the amazing talent of a husband and wife team. I stumbled on it earlier this year.

I see they are having a show today and tomorrow, with more details on their site -

Our next show: September 15th & 16th
    Traditional Artisan Show, Bedminster,PA

Here is a link that might be useful: Painted Furniture by Dan and Marlene Coble

• juddgirl2
    11 years ago

thank you, tinker and red lover!

Reading this thread is making me itch to get back and paint something. Unfortunately, I'm running out of room and don't need any more furniture in the house :-)

• EG3d
    11 years ago

I found this solid wood headboard on Craigslist. I painted with Behr Creamy White in the Ultra paint over a white primer.

Before:

After:

• winchesterva
    11 years ago

Before:

After:

• loribee
    11 years ago

Yummy pix!
    I recently brought 2 little aqua tables home from my office. They don't match anything, lol, but I love them.

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

loribee~ I've loved your house FOREVER.
    I think I've said it before but "I'm stocking your house photos"
    Side note: I've just open a photobucket account so that I can post more than one photo in a post..
    I know how to copy the html and post ..
    Please in "I'm not a tech girl" language ..
    Can someone who uses Photobucket help me resize photo..
    If it's too detailed I'll google it..
    thx so much !!

• luckygal
    11 years ago

I won't post pics because my painted furniture is either antique white or black as I always wanted the option to change my color scheme without repainting furniture. However one thing I did is paint the inside of my black sideboard a Chinese red and I just love it. It always makes me happy to open the drawers or doors and see that bright color. The sideboard is in my kitchen and I use red as an accent color there. This may be something others haven't thought of doing and I highly recommend it.

I am considering painting a newly acquired piece a bright color - just haven't yet decided which color.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

I am at the beginning stages of painting a chest of drawers. I'm using the Annie Sloan Chalk paint and loving it. I'll post pictures when I finish up.

• 4boys2
    11 years ago

I've gotten to the point were I paint too much..

• mellyc123
    11 years ago

luckgal pls reconsider sharing pics
    I have only many shades of brown wood so even painting something white or black would be " color " for me.

Forboystoo, those are lovely, thanks for sharing.

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Juddgirl,
    how do you remove the veneer from pieces? Any tricks/advice?

• celticmoon
    11 years ago

This was a $20 grab off Craigslist.

Annie Sloan Barcelona (orange)alone looked too pumpkin-like. So I added a coat of clear wax mixed with Emperor's Silk (red).

Easy to be bold because it was headed for the basement rec room. Makes a nice media base.

• celticmoon
    11 years ago

whoops forgot the before picture. It was beat up but solid mahogany, with dovetailed drawers etc. I hated the silver hardware, but decided they were not so bad spray painted bronze.

• celticmoon
    11 years ago

yah, she was a real beauty...

• juddgirl2
    11 years ago

nosoccermom - I used a combination of an iron over a damp cloth and a heat gun to melt the glue, and a scraper to scrape off the loosened wood. From what I recall, I started out with the heat gun but ended up using the iron because I didn't want to burn the wood underneath. It was not fun but it worked.

I was going to replace the veneer and then paint over it, but the wood underneath wasn't in bad condition so I just sanded and painted.

I prefer to work with solid wood, or at least veneered pieces that didn't have the damage that this one did, because it was a lot of extra work.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Pretty, pretty pieces....
    Forboystoo~ thank you kindly and you DID it! You posted pix! Yay!

• mea5
    11 years ago

I am posting for all you scardy cats. This was my first attempt at painting furniture. It's kinda fool proof (if your not an a type perfectionist)- and I kinda am...
    Here is a little cabinet that started off redish mahogany. I sanded, primed, sprayed with Rustoleum Heirloom white, then sanded and covered with some stain. I probably wouldn't sand the front like I did again. But still like it so much better than the original.

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

I don't know where you all are finding these

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

How did I miss this thread? It's late but here is a recent photo of a buffet I painted. I refinished the top since the finish was in bad shape. The rest was painted with ASCP Paris Grey and Old White. The florescent warehouse lighting makes it look blue.

• Miz_M
    11 years ago

Here are a couple of projects we've been working on, before and after shots. I've been using a homemade chalk paint recipe, and Johnson's Paste Wax after painting. Very happy with the recipe:

• Miz_M
    11 years ago

Sorry, left out the paint recipe:

I use latex paint in Satin (one was Valspar, one was Sherwin Williams). Both look lighter in the pics than in real life, they're dark cream colors. I mix hot water with Plaster of Paris to make a smooth and creamy consistency, then mix it with the paint. It goes on very nice, and has a wonderful feel after waxing. I don't like my pieces to get too flat or chalky, so waxing is important, as is sanding between coats. I lightly distressed both pieces.

I use less Plaster of Paris than most people. I used too much on a practice piece once, and it was like pure plaster, a total nightmare. I did not prime either piece, just cleaned them first.

I want to say, I used to cringe in horror at painting old wood, but I'm really liking this chalk paint recipe, and how it turns out. And I only paint if the wood is too damaged for us DIYers to restore. My partner did strip and restore both tops here, the wood grain came out beautiful.

We're currently working on a sofa table.....harlequin pattern on the table top. I'll post pics when it's done. :-)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Miz M, those look great. We have a mahogany breakfront from the 40s or 50s that sucks all he light out of any room in which I try it. My husband bought it before we were married and he would never agree to let me paint it. It is now in the downstairs bedroom where I don't have to look at it too much. Oh well. Maybe if I show him your china cabinet...*sigh*

• Miz_M
    11 years ago

Thanks, Cyn! It does pain me sometimes to paint over wood, but in some cases, it really is an improvement. Sometimes the wood finish doesn't make the piece more valuable. Especially in a case like yours, you would be enjoying the piece more if it was a color you liked, and it would be used and loved. Maybe that would convince him? Good luck! :-)

• Flowerchild
    11 years ago

Here's a repurposed bureau I just finished painting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before/After