Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerchild_gw

restore/repurpose bureau

Flowerchild
11 years ago

I purchased this bureau from Habitat for Humanity Restore for $80, sanded, painted, replaced knobs, took out bottom drawers & replaced with baskets. I am now using it as a buffet/sideboard in the dining area. I love it and it has lots of storage.

Comments (28)

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

pictures, please!

• Flowerchild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm trying to post the final results, file too large grrrr...

• Flowerchild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the finished piece. The knobs are yellow/white/black ceramic.

• Flowerchild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And in it's new location in the dining area.

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

That looks great in that spot. Love your whole space there.

• Phobie Privett
    11 years ago

Alright, now you've given me the "wants" for a treasure to redo!! Looks great!

• Flowerchild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks 'always' I still have some changes to make. Want to replace ladderback chairs, DH wants to keep them because they are 'still good chairs', just like a man, and add a rug.

• justretired
    11 years ago

Awesome. Great job!

JR

• User
    11 years ago

WOW !! How perfect for your space and what an eye you have to see potential in a piece that I would have walked right past !!

Did you hand sand it ? And what grit paper did you use ? what kind of paint/primer ?

Your floors are so beautiful that I would be hard pressed to cover them but I love rugs so can imagine how lovely it will look. A gorgeous room. c

• Flowerchild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    'trailrunner'-It's a nice heavy Ethan Allen piece. That's what I look for when browsing for used furniture.
    I used a small battery powered sander with 150 grit paper and 220 grit for in between coats. It took 2 coats of BM black with a gloss finish. The primer was a BM water base. I ended with a coat of BM Stay Clear poly to protect the finish.
    We have that same maple flooring throughout the entire house so I feel the need to break that up a bit, work some color in to break up all the brown in the wood throughout also.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I love it! In fact, the entire space is gorgeous and I like the ladder back chairs with that table :).

Tuesday

• powermuffin
    11 years ago

Looks perfect in there. I like the ladderback chairs too. They seem to go with the architecture of the house.
    Diane

• Flowerchild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe I will stick with the ladderbacks. I was wanting to mix in some modern elements, but I can do that with a rug. Thanks for your insight.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Wow, the dresser and the whole arrangement (with artwork) looks fantastic. Great job!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Great job flowerchild!
    I just did two craigslist $100 vanities in a sable glaze. Sorry the wood does not show through in the picture but it's there. They came out nice but I hated every minute of the project. Here's the before and after...

• Flowerchild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jterrilynn, Those did turn out very nice. Did you sand down to the bare wood? that must have been a job, takes a lot of patience. I think it would be harder going from a dark stain to a lighter one. The paint was not that difficult to do on mine.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hi Flowerchild, the dark cabs are the after. I washed them down in bleach and water, after dry I lightly sanded and then applied the sable glaze with a good brush. In the right light you can see a bit of the wood grain of the original cabs. I followed with three coats of clear. I hate re-doing wood but the all wood inset vaities would have cost around $850 to $1,100 a piece (they are very heavy) so it was worth it. The neighbors got to hear some bad language during the process though lol.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Yowzah! Great job!

• Claire Buoyant
    11 years ago

Flowerchild, I so admire your vision. Who knew that piece could be transformed into such a current and great looking buffet. Well done, lady!

• Flowerchild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jterrilynn - When you posted the pics I was thinking I like the original color better,thinking the dark ones were the old ones, turns out they are the ones you refinished. Nice job! You got a great deal on those. It's hard to find used vanities in pairs. I was looking for some for our MA BA, never lucked out, had to settle for ones from Lowes that are not built that well. Now on the search for tops & faucets, will probably splurge on those.

• Flowerchild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks cindy, claire, & Annie. This has been a long time coming. We have been building our house since 2004!!! (WOW!! That long??), doing most of the work ourselves & GC'ing what we couldn't do. Now, finally I am able to add some decorating touches. The kitchen/dining area are the first to be FINISHED.

• Lake_Girl
    11 years ago

Wow!

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Wow, beautiful job.

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Flowerchild.....taking out the drawers and using the baskets is genius!

What a great way to make it look completely different in proportion.

Fantastic job.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

Flowerchild- Great room! I can't believe you looked at that bureau in it's original state and envisioned the final result. Another vote in favor of the ladderback chairs.

Can I ask where you found that lovely chandelier?

• lolauren
    11 years ago

The finished product works perfectly in your space. Well done. Also, I love your ladderback chairs and agree, from what we can see, they fit your space perfectly.

• Flowerchild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the positive comments, especially regarding the chairs. That will save me some headaches keeping them.
    sonicmom - Good story for the chandy. When we first started to build the house PB had a very similar chandy which I drooled over, but as close as I could get to it was cutting out the pic & putting it in my idea folder. I kept looking for another one at a more reasonable price but gave up. Then one day we were in Lowes & this chandy was on the markdown table for $17.00 !!!!! I just knew when we unpackaged it there would be glass everywhere but it was in perfect condition. I stored it away for 7 years and finally this Spring we were able to put it up after all the construction was completed in that room. I have gotten so many compliments on it.

• bethohio3
    11 years ago

It's beautiful! I also love the art above it!