Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

Does this granite work with the rest of the bathroom?

itltrot
13 years ago

I'm back for more help!!

I really appreicate all the input I was given on the last post I made about my masterbath. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0413512814180.html

After twisting DH's arm, we finally went and looked at tile, granite and cabinets.

I think this is what we have it currently narrowed down to. We were able to upgrade cabinets (full extension drawers and soft close) and save money.

The cabinets will be a shaker style and white similar to this one.

Wall shower tile with be this ivory/cream travertine look alike

Shower floor tile will be this mosaic with pebble inserts under each shower head.

Main floor will be wood look ceramic in Pecan

I planned on using chrome faucets/fixtures/hardware/lighting.

Now here is where I keep getting stuck. Granite and accent tile.

Does this granite (St Cecilia Light) go with the rest of the materials? I have samples in my house and it seems to work. But the bathroom has poor lighting currently so I'm not sure. I really like that it has hints of gray/blue.

This would be the accent tile. I'd only use approx 6" strip through the shower and a small row for backsplash. I'm hoping to use blue but subtly. I have not seen the accent tile in person yet. I have one on order. I'm hoping it's more creamy than white. I'd cut down the shower wall tile into a smaller subway tile for the rest of the backsplash tile.

This is similar to what I have in mind for backsplash and shower accent size. (I think I "borrowed" this picture from someone on here. Great room!)

What do you think?

I don't remember when picking out my kitchen materials, it was this stressful. I've waited so long for this remodel that I am so worried I will pick something that doesn't belong and screw up the whole thing.

Comments (38)

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

I agree with diannalo. Everything was working greatly together until the granite pic and accent tile. Those are cooler while your other choices are warmer. The granite shows more gray/black than brownish/tan. I would look for a granite with more browns/tans/golds.

For the accent tile, esp. if you are wanting to mix in the glass with the more natural tile, I would definately look at something warmer. I think if you want to mix the two different types of tile it helps to keep them within the same scope of color. hope this helps.

Shannon

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I am sorry but I like all the choices, just not together or with the SC for the counters. The accent tiles do not play well with the shower tiles.
    I was following along until your SC pic and then the accent tile pic. It feels like you veered off with those last 2. Your faucet is lovely and I think the floor with the cabs is a nice combo. You may want to take all these pix and paste them into one picture (try MS Paint). I think when you see them all close together, their lack of harmony will be more obvious. Nothing is wrong, but they just are not right together. I'd keep shopping for the counter and accent tile.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't think there is a blue accent tile that look good with that I want. Well what hubby wants. I am good with white subway tile but hubby is thinking it'll took hospitalish. So the compromise with the ivory tiles in a subway size.

Maybe I can't get where I want with what I have. The other granite was regular St Cecilia but it leans more gold than I wanted.

• forhgtv
    13 years ago

The first three tiles don't look like they belong with the granite and glass accent tiles. If you want to go blue, I would suggest that you follow your instincts and use white subway tile for the shower walls and some sort of white/gray tile for the shower floor. Skip the pebbles or switch them for all grey river rock. Then, your granite and accent tiles will work with the grey/white/blue scheme. I love the hardwood look floor tiles and think they will warm up the cool colors you like in the other materials.

The only other change I would make would be to skip the three light bar and use two sconces on each side with a can light above.

• susanka
    13 years ago

I read your post, justgotabeme, but I just can't see that the granite and the blue accents are harmonious at all with the others shown. Like the other posters, I was going along yes, yes, yes, until I got to the granite and accent. I too read the post in another thread about mixing things up, but I just don't see any commonality at all with these last two choices and the others.

• User
    13 years ago

I think this grouping could work. If you all remember what Pal said over on bumblebeez thread about coordinated or all mixed up, is that you don't have to worry about all the little bits of color matching perfectly. Sure when looking at just these tiles one could say the granite doesn't have any blue in it so it can't work, well that's not necessarily so. I think some of you would be surprised how well it would look once in place.

• User
    13 years ago

Susan, I'm sure you're not the only one. Like in that thread not everyone will like the mixed up style. I did not think I'd like it either until I did the grouping. I wish I could do a better mock up in the actual bathroom, but I don't have the tools to do so.

• User
    13 years ago

ok well I guess I agree with everyone so far. At first, I thought everything was great until I got to the granite which I thought was ok, but the blue tiles had me scratching my head. I would agree the last 2 ddidnt seem to belong. HOWEVER when I saw the photos of all the elements in place, I think IT WORKS!!! and nicely too.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No idea if this will help or hurt. But here are most of the samples in my actual space. Only thing missing are the cabinets and blue accent.

Ivory cream tile
    Ivory beige mosaic tile
    Pecan wood tile
    St Cecilia Light granite

I took the picture with no flash slight color distortion as the background board should be white.

And I'd LOVE to use sconce lighting but the space for the mirrors is to tight that I can barely get a 24" mirror hung without looking shoehorned in the space.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe this one will be better. I really need to learn how to use my camera.

• Jeane Gallo
    13 years ago

In my opinion, you either need to choose a different glass mosaic that goes better with the granite, or choose a different granite. I love the granite with all the other elements, except for the blue tiles.

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I LOVE the blue glass tile....just think it looks out of place....here....in this mix. Everything else is GORGEOUS and coordinated.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm really hoping the blue will have the creamy ivory color in the tiles and if not I can accept that and find something else. Unfortunately, I have to wait until next Thursday before I can see it. Grrr.

Alright, so if the blue doesn't work....what now for accent? I want something that has some sparkle and shimmer. Most of my house is already brown, beige, tan, or taupe. I love the color palette but was hoping to step out of the box a tad.

Guest Bath

Kitchen

Oh and what color wall paint will look good? I really hoped for a gray/silver/blue color for the walls and accent tile. I hoped to carry the paint into the master bedroom maybe a shade or two darker.

• B H
    13 years ago

I'm with pretty much everyone else even though I tend to be a mix-it up kind of gal. You had me until the granite & blue glass tiles which I think are lovely but not with your other choices.

We had a similar color scheme (minus the blue) for a bathroom in another house but we used juperana persa granite.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

It's a bit warmer than SC.

If you really love the blue glass tile, I'd change up your entire scheme & find the right tiles & granite to go with that or find another granite to go with your warmer hues.

• User
    13 years ago

Gorgeous home itltrot. Now that I see the picture of the actual granite, I'm not seeing it working either. I still think the blue and your other tiles work though. I see it as a representation of water in your bathroom and the other tiles as sand/earth. If you made all the other choices then trust yourself to make these. You've proven you have great taste.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i don't like the blue accent tile with anything other than the chrome fixtures, white cabs and the woodlike tile flooring. other than the blue accent tile, i think everything else works well together.

if you really love the blue accent tile the most, i would just choose a different shower tile and granite... there are sooo many choices that would look much better with it other than just white subways... but, i think the wood look tile floors would definitely keep white subways from looking too sterile and hospital like...you could do a cooler gray toned tile with grayish pebbles on the shower floor.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the input so far. I am really stumped on paint choices or accent tiles now. I'd love some suggestions on a direction.

I don't know that I love the blue accent tile as I haven't seen it in person. I do love the idea of using blue in the space. Is it possible with the warmer tones of the rest of the room?

Anyone know where I can find a white tile that is a large format subway size and doesn't cost a couple arms and leg?

I'm glad that most everything else seems to work really well together. The granite looks good in person with everything for the most part. It's okay with the shower floor tile but since they aren't really next to each other, I think it would work.

The cabinet place we looked at only had about 5 choices of granite they deal with on a regular basis and the St Cecilia Light was the best choice to me. Other options were Mahogany, Blue Pearl, St Cecilla gold, Tan Brown and Baltic Brown. I still need to take a day off and go to a granite yard about an hour away and see some more options.

• susanka
    13 years ago

itltrot, would a light green go with your other choices? To my eye green would harmonize with them more than than the blue and allow you to step out of the palette you're using now.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Possibly. I hadn't really considered green because the current bath is kind of a sickly green with yellow (harvest gold-ish) tile and formica. I thought it'd be nice to get away from green but I'm not against it at all.

I think I read somewhere that green isn't the best color for bathrooms because it makes a person washed out? Does anyone know if there is truth to that? I always thought it was because the lighting in our current bathroom is so poor?

One of my original inspiration pictures the wall color was SW Sea Salt that is greenish/blue.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found a better picture of the blue accent tile. While I still like it because it's fun. I still want to see it in person as I'm not sold on it.

I also found this one by the same company that is more subdued.

Off to scour the internet for more choices.

• amykath
    13 years ago

I am wondering if you like the blue colors then maybe you should go with blue pearl? You can then mix in the blue and it should all go quite well.

{{!gwi}}

Oh and my boyfriend has a wonderful green bathroom. I am in LOVE with it!

Here are some pics. I always thought I looked good in that bath too! ;) AND he made that vanity himself! Love him!!!
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I must admit I do love your granite you have selected and all the other choices but the blue tiles do not go with the granite. If you use a green go with a warmer sage that you can see in the granite. That should all go well together!

Good luck!!!

• B H
    13 years ago

The blue pearl would probably work fine with the blue tiles you like but even more so with the 2nd set you found.

We had baltic brown in our previous house & that wouldn't work with the blue tile at all, imo.

I think you should go look at the blue tiles you like in person before you make any decisions. Seeing things in the flesh can make you go a different direction all together!

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Blue pearl was my original pick for granite but hubby thought dark counters and dark floor might make the space dark. It's not a huge room and has little natural light so I can see that. I also worry about it showing more dust and fingerprints. Not that my house is ever dusty. LOL.

Times like this I wish I lived in a larger city so I could just hop in my car and shop.

• amykath
    13 years ago

Not sure where I had heard this but many say its pleasing to the eye to use the same color on the floors as the counter. I do not think that is a rule... but just something to think about.

• prairiedawnpam
    13 years ago

I love the grouping you've shown without the blue glass. If using blue tile is important, I wonder if you could find a mosaic with some blue in it made of the same material as the beige mosaic. If not, could you use the beige again above the counter top and then accent your room with that shade of blue in art, towels, etc?

• babs711
    13 years ago

I think, for me, the issue is the business and the movement you have in so many of the elements (which, by itself is NOT a problem), but adding those patterns to the different colors just means a lot is going on.

As I was slowly going down the page, I was enjoying what I was seeing until I got to the blue. And I was trying to visualize the movement in the granite against the busy backspash (the backsplash: not just because of the blue color, but because of the different color tones of each tile and the swirls that are in it too) and then the different movements in the surround and flooring in the shower, I got thrown off. There's nothing to connect the two at all. The other two items could almost be in two different bathrooms because there's nothing to tie them together.

If you're set on the granite and the thought of having a blue backsplash, I think you'd be better off with a solid blue glass backsplash against such a busy granite. I'd also maybe do a run of it around the top 2/3 of the shower to tie it in somehow? This is kind of what I'm talking about. This is also a pic with some nicely sized white tiles.

{{!gwi}}

• dianalo
    13 years ago

The newer more subdued blue tiles would look nice with the blue pearl if the blue pearl was a mellow version.
    I'd be wary of using a patterned granite and having a lot going on in the bs. While I love a wild granite and I love well accented backsplashes, it is hard to make them work together. Sometimes, 2 elements will look ok near each other, but not be optimal. I'd prefer one element or the other to be serene if the other were strong.
    I think that since you are using white cabs and you can use a lighter toned paint, that you may actually want to get a darker toned counter. Our master bath is all light colors other than the floor and first thing in the a.m. it is a bit shocking. The solartube makes it positively bright. We have to make sure the bathroom door is closed at night or it is much too bright in our bedroom after the sun comes up. I may end up painting the walls dark in a year or 2 (after I recover from all the painting I still need to do).

You can order Daltile subways from HD for a reasonable price.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well the blue tile is out. Came in yesterday and it looks nothing like the picture. It was almost clear with a smidgen of blue and lots of weird swirls.

I think I'm happy with all the rest of room. I'll keep searching for an accent tile.

Babs- that is one of the pictures that inspired the large tile plan.

• julies_kitchen
    13 years ago

Your tan elements remind me of monicakm's bathroom (from the bathrooms forum). You can use the link below to see all the photos. She uses blue and green glass accents with the tan tiles. Does that give you any ideas?

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: Monicakm's bath

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

I was also thinking of monicakm's bath while reading this thread. The reason that her blue works with the beige tiles is that it is a warmer blue.

itltrot, I am sorry that the tiles weren't what you were looking for. I'm sure that you will find something suitable.

• vsalzmann
    13 years ago

Have you considered using travertine for the counter? I had it in my last bath and it looked great. I think it is the granite throwing everything off. The blue accent tiles look great on the travertine walls. In my new house I inherited blue glass mosaic tiles and travertine countertop and it looks pretty good.

• pps7
    13 years ago

How about a crema marfil marble counter top?

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

julies-thanks for the link. That is very helpful.

I'm still not sure about the direction the room is heading. I like it as a whole but I really think I wanted "cooler" feeling space. The blue/grays/whites just appeal to me but maybe it's because everything else in the house is a warmer tone.

I finally got the original accent tile I was looking at when I was leaning towards the blue pearl counter tops. I'll post that tonight just for reference.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry for the phone picture but here is the original accent tile that I like. Blue glass tile in different shade with random blue granite pieces.

Maybe I need to just skip having a backsplash and stick with the standard 4" granite backspalsh??

• Suzy
    13 years ago

if you want a cooler feeling room, then you may want to reconsider your other tile choices. the granite pcs in that accent tile are volga blue, which would be a gorgeous countertop choice with the white cabinets. but the beige tiles just don't work with it. we used those sumi-e tiles in our kids bath and love it. the ones we used have some brown mixed in w/the blue & gray so it would go nicely with your floor choice:

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does Volga blue look like blue pearl? Cause these tiles matched the blue pearl samples and they were on a tile board labeled blue pearl.

Beautiful bathroom. What tiles are those? Sumi-e? I havent seen those before. I'll have to google them.

Maybe I can talk hubby into looking at tile this weekend....again.

• amykath
    13 years ago

If you want the blue then rethink your choices. Go with what you like!

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ak, I am really drawn to the rooms with white tile or marble. I am back to the drawing board. Cabinets and wood tile are a definite. Now to find everything all over again.