Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
itltrot_gw

Is it to much wood or will it be dark feeling?

itltrot
13 years ago

I had planned on doing wood like tile floors with Dover White vanities and hopefully blue pearl granite.

Now I find out the cabinets I was priced aren't available in a painted finish. So I can either pick a stained color and live with it as is or pick a stained color and paint brand new cabinets. I can't get unfinished and budget won't allow to switch to different brand as the price goes up significantly.

So here's what I've got picked so far.

Floor tile

Pecan

or

Walnut

Shower Wall tiles

Blue Pearl Granite

Accent tile

or

The cabinet color I was getting

Now my new choices

Cider

or

Medium

Apparently the sales person quoted me a painted maple but at the oak price. But when we checked a couple more options the error was found and now Oak is in the budget not Maple.

I need guidance please. Neither stain color appears to go with the floor colors. Picking materials are supposed to be the fun part right? *sigh

Comments (25)

• User
    13 years ago

itltrot, what cabinet company are you purchasing?
    I'll be back later to make some more virtuals for you, but I have to get back to sewing.
    Here's one using the light wood cabinet (cider) and the darkest floor (walnut) along with your granite and back splash which was my first thought.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow thank you. We are looking at purchasing Merillat Cabinets. I am thinking about using the shower tiles in smaller sizes as part of the backsplash after seeing the mockup. The granite and accent tiles are to much together.

Thank you again!

• User
    13 years ago

Wow you answered fast. I'm glad that was able to help. I felt bad about not giving you all the choices so I did a quick one showing the your other choices.
    Here are the rest of the cabinet and floor combos with the lighter tile back splash.

If you are working with Lowe's or Home Depot have you thought to see what vanities they carry in their stores? I've worked with both so if you are working with them and would like help please feel free to private message me by clicking on my nickname. I'd be glad to help.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I should be working but we got new formica countertops in the office breakroom and the fumes are making me sick so I'm taking a little break. LOL

Thanks again. I hope to go to a cabinet wholesale place this weekend to see if I can find something else.

Would you mind terribly to make one with the white cabinet too? Thanks!

• User
    13 years ago

Here you go with the walnut floor and both back splashes. I really do have to get to work sewing now though. I'll check back before bedtime. I hope you find something at the wholesale place.

Another place to check is Craigslist under materials for sale. Often times contractors will sell their left over vanity cabinets or ones that customers declined for some reason.

• User
    13 years ago

I added back in the one with the blue back splash since I think it doesn't look as busy with the painted cabinets.

• jockewing
    13 years ago

itltrot, I think switching backsplash tiles is a good choice. I don't think the ones you had chosen go with the granite. Not sure about how the wood tiles would go with the vanity. The white would have been perfect!

• chris11895
    13 years ago

If you have to go with the wood, maybe you could change the granite to something lighter? I agree that the backsplash and granite are sort of fighting each other.

• User
    13 years ago

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but if you have to go with stained cabinet can you change the floor? Or is that already set? I think it's too much wood for a bathroom, but that is just my opinion.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What I am think of doing with the backsplash is cutting down the shower tiles and then using just a small row of the accent tiles. Probably only 2-3 rows of it to keep it from being overwhelming. The first one actually has pieces of blue pearl granite, the second one is just called blue pearl. Haven't seen it in person.

I am totally open to changing the countertop color as I don't want dark feeling space. It's not a huge bathroom and only has a small north facing window for natural light.

I agree the painted vanities look the best. Not sure about changing the floor tiles as that is DH one thing about the room he loved. I haven't had much luck with Craigslist as I live a couple hours from the nearest city location in my state. Bleh. I've tried to do searches and came up empty. I'm not real good at using the right search words, I guess.

justgotabme, thank you so much for taking the time from your sewing to do these mockups. They will help when I show DH how it's not "flowing". You must be a better sewer than I as I look for distractions the twice a year I dig out the sewing machine then swear off it after a failed attempt. I'm hopeless at sewing.

I had hoped to have a blue as accent. The shower tiles have a slight linen look that leans blue if provoked. I'm all for other suggestions. :-)

Appreciate the input and it's what I thought I would hear, to much wood or to dark or to busy.

• chris11895
    13 years ago

I actually like the look of a dark floor and matching vanity. What about a marble vanity top? It's very classic and can go with many colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood Vanities with Marble Tops

• User
    13 years ago

itltrot, you are very welcome. I'm a seamstress and I love to sew. Not sure why I couldn't get myself started today, but I do enjoy helping out here when I can.
    Chris, I think you need to check your link. It was fabric.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am honestly scared of marble. I'm not sure we'd be good to marble. Not on purpose but on accident. Like how I accidentally spilled fingernail polish remover on the countertop. Or how DH accidentally sprayed mildew cleaner on the carpet and bleached it. Plus he's a painter and mechanic and is always covered in grease or something.

But I do LOVE the marble bathrooms. There are so many on here that I've drooled over but have talked myself out of it due to maintenance.

• sloyder
    13 years ago

I personally don't think the stained cabinets go with the floor choices.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I agree about the floor colors not playing nice with the stained cabs. You would have to paint the cabs if you went with either of the floor choices. Do they offer the floor tiles in any other color?
    I also would rather see the accent tiles among calmer field tiles than either bs choice.
    The first pic done at 16:20 is nice but you will need another element to go with the floor or it will be the odd man out. If you could add a shelf or use something with a wood frame to coordinate, that would give the floor more reason to be with the cool tones.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you think wood toned mirrors would help? I hoped to do the two over the sink and a full length in wood But I do see what you are saying about all cool tones especially since the fixtures would be chrome. I appreciate all the input. DH trusts me with the choices and sometimes that's overwhelming. Having outside perspective is wonderful.

• User
    13 years ago

I'm heading into the city for physical therapy right now or I'd do a couple more virtuals for you. I just wanted to bring in the choice of cultured marble as a vanity top/sink choice. They are very cost friendly which could afford you to go up a notch in the cabinets and get the painted wood of your choice. Just a thought....

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is cultured marble user friendly?

• User
    13 years ago

Well we've had it in every home we built, though I can't say if we ever spilled nail polish or remover on it, we've been quite happy. I wanted something different for our master bath here, but didn't like the cost for the size you needed so we found a place locally that carried a dbl sink top for an 84" vanity at a fraction of the cost. I'm very happy we did since the other material I was looking at would have been too dark. Neither big box home improvement store carried cultured that big. I'm not sure what they carry in stock now. That was over seven years ago.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well it looks like we may be back to the old drawing board on the bathroom. After showing DH the mockups the great justgotabme made, he is finally "not feeling" the look. I showed him an inspiration picture that I love and he agrees it flows and is more soothing. Classic and livable at the same time. I would swear they climbed in my head about made my dream bathroom theirs. LOL.

Wood look tiles, white cabinets, blue/green wall color and accent tiles, chandy, and white shower tiles.

• User
    13 years ago

Well I'm certainly happy my virtuals were of help to you itltrot.
    That is one gorgeous bathroom you have as your inspiration! Though I think that vanity is in real marble I think the cultured marble would work quite well in that room. There are many varieties out there to chose from, though usually one the white swirly ones are available in stores.

• detroit_burb
    13 years ago

You may find my experience helpful.

I considered white painted portrait merillat classic, but in the end got something I liked better for much less from IKEA, though it will need some minor customization.

Nevertheless, here is what I learned about Merillat:

Go to this link:
    http://hasswholesale.com/slideout.html#

click on cabinets/merillat/cabinets/pricelist (it is a huge pdf download)

compare the retail price with the price you were given for a given cabinet in your list.

Make sure you are getting AT MINIMUM 55% off list. Many builders get a few percent more, but you can get 55% directly from a hardware or lumber store locally.

You may need to download the SPEC book as well to figure out the name/code of the cabinet you want, email the lumber store with what you want, they will email you back with a quote. Gordon Lumber store in Ohio were happy to get me a quote at 55% off, and I'm sure they are not the only ones.

A bit of time spent now will help you get the best price, and you may find you can afford what you really want when you do some of the upfront design work where you can.

Merillat, and most brands, have a huge markup.

Incidentally, this is my current kitchen/dining room pallete: blue pear granite, dark modern lyptus door, clear satin white oak floor, restoration hardware atmosphere blue paint. I love it, but it is nothing like your inspiration photo, and I would encourage you to pursue the look you love.

{{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Regarding your question about cultured marble, it's come a long way in past 20 years which is why you will see people have many different opinions. I think it's a very practical, easy care and attractive choice--esp. for a family. I have more of a cultured granite in my hall bath for 10 years now--no stains at all despite two DDs who give it a beating on regular basis. I just cleaned up the top last week and use nail polish remover to get out a couple of nail polish stains. That said, not to sound like a real stone snob, but there is no comparison to the real thing. When working with real stone, often times the real expense (and even with cultured products too I imagine as our cultured granite was not cheap--we choose it for the ease care tub surround) is in the fabrication. If you can get something in a standard size, it will be so much more cost effective.

• itltrot
    Original Author
    13 years ago

detroit, thanks for the link. I ordered my kitchen cabinets from Merillat in '09 and had the old price book for Masterpiece but didn't have Classic. The company I work for can order the cabinets from one of our vendors. I'm getting 56% off the list price this time. Two years ago it seemed to be a greater price break. I guess I need to look back through my paperwork.

I wish I had an ikea as option. Nearest one is 5+ hours away. I agree the blue pearl and dark cabinets is no where near my inspiration picture. But blue pearl is soooo pretty. Thank you for the picture of your kitchen. Looks great.

val, Thanks for the info on the cultured marble. I have some kind of marble in the guest bath that came as a combo with vanity and sink from Lowes. It's gorgeous but apparently I've used something on it that I shouldn't have because there are areas that are no longer shiny and they feel rough. I guess it's etched. That's my only experience with marble and I've already ruined it, I think.

I'm still hoping to talk DH into making a trip to a cabinet wholesale place about an hour away this weekend.

Am I obsessing unnecessarily about all plywood construction and soft close drawers in the bathroom? Many of the cabinets I've looked into aren't APC and that does worry me in a bathroom but then again why would they make bathroom cabinets in material that isn't suited for bathrooms.

• User
    13 years ago

Most cabinets that aren't all plywood are at least solid wood in the front where most of the moisture would affect them. If you get a "skin" for the sides you shouldn't need all plywood interiors. I thought I wanted that on all our cabinets in our new home, but once it was explained to us we decided to spend the money saves on the next level down in construction to get other extras that would make a difference in our everyday use. Like full extend doors and hardware.