Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Show Me The Grout Lines in Your Subway Tile, Please!

User
13 years ago

After getting box of sample tiles from Mexico, determine that this is STILL not the kitchen for talavera tile, much to my regret. So, purchase samples of white subway tile plus some lovely trim pieces that look like chair rail. After taping up a lot of tile on the wall, to Tile Guy's infinite amusement, we decide on standard white with putty colored grout. Question: how wide to make grout lines? Not so wide it looks too rustic. Not so close it looks like odd porcelain paneling. Wide enough so that it apes the English tile work I have seen and loved.

So, if you have subway tile, how wide are your grout lines? We bought 3/8 inch AND 1/4 inch spacers and have been playing around with them, but I need to see how they actually look. Thanks in advance!

Comments (12)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Here's an old picture right after our subway was installed. I have no clue what the spacing is between them.

• waltbsc
    13 years ago

Here is mine, 1/4". I hope it helps.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beautiful, both of them! Oakleyoak, i believe that your grout lines are 3/8 inch. And both pix confirm my thoughts that:

tile + same color grout = thin lines

tile + different color grout = thicker lines

Since our tile is white and the grout is putty colored, we will go with the 1/4 inch line. Thank you both, what luck to have the perfect two pictures posted! What a treasure of helpful people and information this site is!

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I have same color tile and grout, and thicker (1/4" I believe) lines. Well, similar color -- my tile has subtle differences. I like the look, personally. Sorry for the red & blue lines, they were a reference for a post over on Kitchens.

• gayle0000
    13 years ago

Here's a link to my blog entry. I installed a white subway tile this winter.

My intentions were to do 1/16 inch, but I didn't realize the tiles were pre-notched. I added 1/16 spacers, which created a 1/8 inch grout line.

LOVE my mistake. My bathroom tile is 1/16 and it's too small. Little wider line relaxes the look a bit.
    Gayle

Here is a link that might be useful: My subway tile

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

I was going to suggest a thinner line but don't have subway so can't show you a picture. Gayle's tile above looks very nice.

Have you seen an installation of white subway with putty grout? I'd want to see it before doing it ESPECIALLY if you end up going with a grout line as large as 1/4". My fear is that it will look like dirty grout against the white - could be wrong, but I'd want to see it first.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Avesmor, your tile is beautiful! It may be just the photo, but your tile color and grout color do not look identical to me . . .the grout looks significantly lighter, at least on my screen. It's the colors of tiles and grout that are so similar they make an almost monochromatic look, and the smaller lines do not interfere with that color flow. I love that look, like oakley's tile, and it also looks good with other colors to break it up, like hers. We already already have too many whites and too much going on in our kitchen to try that.

I actually have seen white subway tile with putty grout---- it is a great look IMO, and will help the white tie in to our brown granite (mahogany blue eyes).

• deeinohio
    13 years ago

I think ours is 1/16 at least that's what DH remembers. I lurked in the kitchen forum when we did ours, and used the dark gray grout a lot of others used. I don't have a picture of ours on the computer but I pilfered one from kitchens and ours looks just like this. It belongs to edlakin; I hope she doesn't mind. Below is a great thread about grout line.
    Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: What size grout line?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did go back and look at all those grout threads, great pix but the conversations are all about color, not width. It's interesting how many questions pop up about this ubiquitous kitchen feature :)

If I did not have the granite to consider I would choose a light grey, but in my kitchen that will only add more visual noise, and putty looks great.

Thanks for the replies and esp the photos. If anyone out there has the white tike with putty colored grout, I would LOVE to see it in your kitchen or bath!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

My DIY tub surround:

It's a grout color called Delorean Gray. I scrupulously scraped out the grout so it was not proud of the rounded edge of the tile, which minimized the width.
    Casey

• Sujafr
    13 years ago

Beautiful tile pictured here from all! When I've done tile it seems the grout line ends up being slightly wider appearing than the spacer, perhaps since the edge of the tile is slightly curved, so I think with a tile as small as a subway tile, you may not want to go as big as 1/4".

I was told by the tile store that the larger the tile, the larger you can go with the grout line if you want that look, but that generally, the smaller tile look best with smaller lines. Then of course, there's granite tile that uses razor blades for spacers even though they're usually 12" tile. So, I guess it's a lot the look you're going for.

I've used DeLorean gray grout and putty and both work well--so much easier to keep clean looking than white grout. Your project sounds like it'll be beautiful! Good luck!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll post a photo when it is done :).

We are going for a bit more rustic look than refined, if that makes any sense.