Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Subway tile lovers - What size is your grout line? Photos please

redroze
15 years ago

I'm this-close to ordering the Ann Sacks Heath ceramic tiles in 2"x8", but received a comment from another Garden Webber that since Heath tiles are handmade then I have to go with a 1/4" grout line. I normally don't put much thought to grout line - is 1/4 considered undesirable? Can anyone show me photos (either of your kitchen or others) of subway tile with a 1/4" grout line?

If you have subway tile with a particular grout line, would appreciate if you could tell me the grout thickness as well as any photos. Thank you!!!

I'm ready to order the tiles and need to order them asap...this worried me a bit though.

Comments (27)

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

This is white subway with 1/16th grout lines, silver grout, in my bathroom:

• mmme
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting this photo! I want to put grey grout with my white subway tile but have been nervous because I hadn't actually seen this anywhere. Now I've seen and know I love it. I love how it highlights thepattern. Looks fabulous!

What brand grout did you use?

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

Thanks so much mmme! This was my first DIY tile job ever, so I'm glad it doesn't look too horribly clunky. I used Laticrete's Spectralock Epoxy grout in Silver Shadow. Love it, gives just the effect I wanted for my bungalow bath. Here's a closeup if it helps:

OP, for what it's worth, I'm also doing 3x6 subway in my kitchen and also planning on uing 1/16th grout lines. 1/4" might be just a tad too wide for 3x6 tiles? I'd try to minimize those lines in a backsplash particularly for scrubbing reasons. But I'm sure you'll be getting lots more input from others with more exerience. Good luck!

• amsunshine
    15 years ago

I used a 1/16 grout line. Grout is oyster grey.
    {{!gwi}}

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Redroze, mine were either 1/8 or 1/16. I think the 1/4" line was one of those 1980s fads best left unrevived :) Here's a pic:

The grout was light gray, as recommended by GW'rs (edlakin in particular IIRC). I don't remember its name -- it was on a chart of commonly available grout colors at HD.

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

1/16" looks modern/contemporary with matching grout.
    1/8" or more with contrasting grout looks more traditional (80s dated?)

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

Our space is 1/16th of an inch and still not grouted as yet.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

What if you called Ann Sacks or Heath Ceramics and asked them what size grout line they recommend?

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Malhgold - You're so on the ball here!! I just got off the phone with them and they handmade tiles are done 1/8 to 3/16!! She said 1/4 was definitely too thick and is not needed for handmade tile. She also said to take my two samples at home and see how close they can be butted up together. I'm SO relieved.

I just ordered the tile, SO excited. Next step - figuring out the grout colour! I've been reading a post about grey grout so I will revisit it.

Thanks for the tips everyone!! You all have such beautiful subway tile. I can't believe I ever considered not getting ceramic subway tile as it is so nice.

• edlakin
    15 years ago

received a comment from another Garden Webber that since Heath tiles are handmade then I have to go with a 1/4" grout line.

that's wrong, imo. it would be way to big and clunky looking. we did 1/16th with handmade tiles in our last kitchen and it turned out great.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Edlakin - Phew! You made me feel even better. I should let OverlyOptimistic know that he/she was misinformed.

• gglks
    15 years ago

we did 3/16 inch grout lines in our bathroom just because i wanted it to look a little different.....the grout color is called whispering gray....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bluekit, I realized that you said it's from HD. Thanks!!

• Kelly Thompson
    6 years ago

Contractors will do whatever is easiest or "standard"- thicker grout lines. Insist on the look you want. Contractors are not designers. I can't emphasize this enough. The photo below is our new shower. The subway grout was supposed to be white and the grout lines are way too thick. I'm sure the shower is water tight, but it

looks like a 1985 bathroom. Also notice the half tile above the shelf is not symmetrical with the bottom. We were very disappointed when we saw the work completed. They are redoing the work. Triple check your communication with your contractors even on the littlest of things.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

kellythompson - this is a NINE year old thread.

• Chessie
    6 years ago

Ummmm...no, Only your single post. Maybe zombie threads do appeal to some.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Plus this is the kitchen forum and you're posting about your bathroom Kelly

• marcusanderson
    6 years ago
    I appreciate the post Kelly
  • Linda Tran
    6 years ago

Kelly - what is your grout line in the shower?

• abbycat9990
    6 years ago

I know this is an old thread... Here's a pre grout pic of 4x10 tile with 1/8 space between tiles.

• Astrid C
    5 years ago

Kelly Thompson - It was useful to me too! :)

• Tara Horvath
    5 years ago
    @abbycat9990 - what color grout did you go with?
  • abbycat9990
    5 years ago

Tara Horvath We used a TEC brand DeLorean Gray, and a matching caulk at the countertop. I like the contrast, but I think we would have been happy with a lighter gray too.

• tracynz
    3 years ago

Is the grout line 1/8?

• Melissa Hamley
    3 years ago

I found this zombie thread very helpful. Thanks for updating with your more recent fresh corpses! I think I'm using a 1/16th grout line in my bathroom. It looks way better (IMO).

• theresa21
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@tracynz, I think abbycat said 1/8" up higher in the comments.