Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Seeking fun laundry cab color

robo (z6a)
10 years ago

This is a semi x-post of an older thread from kitchens.

Hi all! You will see me posting a few more times on here when I get cleaned up enough to take a photo (I need SERIOUS dining room help). But for now, I'm really stalled on picking a paint color for my laundry room cabs. It feels anything BUT fun.

This is my new laundry room. I want to paint the cabinets something fun and vibrant but I am flailing. My husband has actually offered to paint these guys in a very rare moment of handiness, so I don't want to postpone until his motivation goes away.

I posted this thread with an inspiration photo in kitchens:
Yellow suggestions to match this photo .

BUT I am having a really hard time picking a yellow and wouldn't mind branching out from that. My husband has the following requests:

* Nothing too dark
* No pink
* No green (I'm slowly painting the rest of our house green) but turquoise ok.

My main accent colors on the first floor are turquoise, cobalt, sunshine yellow, lime green and tangerine.

The entryway leading in to this room is BM Pale Avocado and the walls are BM French Canvas (off white with green undertone).

So far I've tried:

BM Sweet Pear (too green)
BM Hawthorne (too buttery)
BM Yellow Clover (too dingy)
BM Orange Blossom (too dark)
BM Sweet Orange (too nacho cheesey)
BM Sea Mist Green (too neon aqua - but I like it the best so far)
BM Palladian Blue (too restrained)
BM Ocean blue (too restrained)

So far my frontrunner is Martha Stewart Tahini but I don't think it's bright enough for me (see used in a kitchen below)

If you have any specific Ben Moore paint colors you want to throw out there, especially with any inspiration pics, I would absolutely LOVE to see them!

Thanks for reading!! Just for fun, here's a pic of our 94% done kitchen on the other side of the house. Thanks again! - Robo

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 13:02

Comments (14)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Check out the amazing color someone found for their front door (recommended by a designer) on another thread. Here's the pic from her thread, and the color is Potomac Blue from Fine Paints of Europe. I think it's perfect for a laundry room!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful blue!! Unfortunately I don't think I can get FPOE locally (Nova Scotia) as their only Canadian retailer appears to be in Calgary.

I'm worried that going with a pretty French blue like that on top of the cathedral oak doors and all the wood will swing this room unavoidably country...whereas I'd like something a little more, I dunno, vintagey or bloggy. Bloggy is probably the right word, ha!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

look at Farrow and Ball colors for vintage-y but fun colors

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Well, for vintage color, my favorite right now is one I just discovered the other day, Benjamin Moore Vintage Charm.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mtn - I was prepared to be doubtful about Farrow and Ball but there actually is a retailer near here! So I may need to take a road trip.

Here are some photos I like, which are along the lines of your first suggestion, Tibbrix!

Dark salmon -- too pink for DH but I LOVE it

[Eclectic Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2104) by Minneapolis Interior Designers & Decorators Lucy Interior Design

Yellow raincoat

Aruba Blue

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 13:47

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Frankly with all the other wild colors you have going on in your house, and given that the cabs are a more permanent fixture in the room, and a big PITA to paint, I would paint them white. Yup, white.

Then I would use the walls to go "wild and crazy" in color or even in wall paper to really jazz up the room. As there's much less wall showing than cabinet, it would be a lot easier to repaint should you decide you want to change it up.

I still remember one laundry room from a show house that was so cute....they had stenciled cat foot prints up and around the wall....it was very fun.

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I think Annie's suggestion is a great one.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Another Big vote to go for fresh white cabinets!!!!

... and a bright happy fabric for the window covering and accessories .... brightly colored baskets would look wonderful on top of your cabinets!!

• carolssis
    10 years ago

I always thought a nice bright yellow would be a good paint color for a laundry room. I like the one just above, with the girl at the desk. Thats the kind of yellow to brighten your day, bring a smile to your face while doing boring old laundry. Of course, the white idea is great too. Accessories can make such a big difference. Good luck on your decision.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Love Annie's idea too. Your kitchen is luscious. Love the backsplash. What size are the Subway tiles?

Your LR is going to be very nice as well!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

As a color phobe, i lean toward white on things that are relatively permanent.

That said, i think in a space like a laundry room you can dare to be a little different and take a risk. And your kitchen at least, looks very restrained (bright colors only as accents) so I don't think the other colors you have going on are a big issue (not to mention I am sure it has a door?).

These are FnB but you could fnd similar in other lines.

My pick would be St Giles Blue, an homage to water/laundry.

After that, if you like a yellow, i like the Provence-y feel of Babouche.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I am a fan of white cabinets in a laundry, but I also want some color. I would probably favor white cabinets with color on the walls too -- really like the first one Annie posted.

My laundry will probably always be some variation on blue and white because those are colors I never tire of, never hit me wrong on a challenging day. I can see that yellow would be a bright and sunny choice for others, but I find them hard to pick and want to be surrounded by unless they are soft -- almost creamy or buttery. Those tones could work with your greens too.

What about something like this with one color in matte on the walls and semi gloss on the wood

or this with tonal variations

Or keep the wood and walls light and neutral and let you WT, baskets and other accessories be the bounce of color(s).

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone! Thanks so much again! I got around to reconsidering hawthorne today and I think it's the winner. It just looked buttery in comparison to gold finch (which is quite green) but on its own it looks nice, liveable, and retro.

Annie, what beautiful photos! I totally hear you all on the white. For some reason I just keep thinking I want those colorful cabs, possibly because I didn't get them in the kitchen. But I agree, I am lazy and white on permanent things is the sensible choice. Tea cats and Caroline, thanks so much for the idea for adding bright accessories! I hadn't thought of a window treatment but of course I should add one.

Lascatx, those photos are stunning! I too have a very hard time with yellows, but also find blues challenging. I think it's all those grey, stormy, Nova Scotia days that make me want a bit of sunshine on the inside.

Red lover, thanks so much for the comment on my kitchen!! Just a few little touches to go before I post a reveal over on kitchens. The tiles are 3.75" x 7.5". I wanted 8" square and husband wanted subway, so this was a bit of a compromise.

Mtn, you're right about the door, in fact, it has three! This laundry is where my old kitchen was, right off the front door. So we added a few doors and a wall to close it off. Here's a before photo:

Here's a photo with the hawthorne to the left of the sink, I'll post another when dh gets around to painting...

This post was edited by robotropolis on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 21:15