Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

Bedroom Comforter Set Help Needed

Jodi_SoCal
16 years ago

We're just finishing up a partial home remodel and things are looking great in the kitchen, dining, office and living room but the master bedroom needs a face lift (we'll get to the guest bedrooms later).

We have a bedroom set that is 20 years old but still in great condition. Because of all the other projects we're working on, buying a new set is not in the budget right now. The Golden Oak really looks dated and I'm having a tough time both trying to find a comforter set that looks good with the golden color and updates the feel of the room at the same time.

The rest of our home has a slight Asian influence and this room has some Asian elements but I'd really just like to find something that works well with the oak.

The carpet will be replaced sometime this year with a neutral color like cream or tan (right now it's peach). Wall colors of course will change to compliment whatever I end up with.

Any suggestions? I'm not crazy about Jacquard sets but am open to about anything at this point.

Here is what I'm working with.

{{gwi:1615046}}

{{gwi:1615047}}

{{gwi:1615048}}

Jodi-

Comments (44)

• oceanna
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Jodi,

Did you look through this thread (below)? See anything you like? I'm thinking you could go into gold or brown walls and go for red on the bed.

How about picking out a few pics you like and we can talk about them? If you right click on the pic you want and select "properties" then you can come back here and post:
    . The only space in the sequence is between "img" and "src." Post the ones you like and tell us why and we can talk about them in regards to your room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedroom thread in Gallery

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lots and lots of inspiration photos to go through but not a single one could I really bond with. I did pick three pics though. I'm not sure why they all have a mint or sage green in them. Would that color go okay with the golden oak and help update the look?

I know one of the reasons I chose all three sets is because they have lots of coordinated pillows. I like that look.

I LOVE he wall color in the first pic.

{{gwi:1531756}}

{{gwi:1531832}}

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

I like your bedroom set and I think oak is classic, and I can tell that is a very high quality set. Hard to know exactly what your after since Asian can be traditional or modern zen. Looking at your current style it looks more traditional than modern, so could something like this work? I think the color would look nice with your oak. You could pull the soft green out for paint, which would also look good with the oak.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Here is an Asian toile from pottery barn. I like the red with your oak.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asian toile

• texanjana
    16 years ago

I love the look of the Pottery Barn bedding. The paint color you like looks similar to the color we just used in our bedroom, BM Rosemary Sprig. Please forgive the terrible picture. The color is actually darker than it looks in this pic. There is also BM Dry Sage which read more gray in my house, but looks similar to the color you like.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Oak has a lot of yellow in it, so if you pick colors with yellow in them, you'll be fine. Scarlet, not burgundy; turquoise (supposed to be THE color this year), not baby blue or grey blue; peach, not pink; green; ivory, not white... all these colors should make your oak look super.

So yes, green is good. The green in the top pic looks like Silver Sage to me.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great input! The more I look at the first pic I chose, the more I like it. Now I need to find it.

Would certainly welcome more ideas. I really need comforter set ideas since I don't sew and don't want to have to hire someone to make it for me.

As far as Asian style goes, I prefer fusion/modern zen but do have some traditional things around the house that Japanese friends have given me.

Jodi-

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I love an Asian influence. I'd keep the furniture and paint it. Here's a dark brown/teak color and an ebony-black. Launching off Rogue's asian fabric. The other chest is painted in a distressed green similar to the wall color, so all the light doesn't get sucked up and for the room to feel more open.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Wanted to post to tell you how much I love your furniture. It looks like the one hubby & I loved at Raymour that we put off buying until the master was sheet rocked, now they don't have it :(

Maureen Bedding

Harbor Rose

Sussex Chalk

Antique rose

Have a look at Penney's.. there's so many there. If you find something you like, I'm sure we can find a coupon code somewhere for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Penney traditional

• Kathleen McGuire
    16 years ago

The color in the first photo that you love reminds me of BM Nantucket Gray:
    {{gwi:1615052}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Might as well show the Asian feel with your wood, as-is, too! You'd said you were tired of it ... I don't think the lines of the bed piece look dated, myself. Maybe the glass door in the other piece we can see in the mirror.

And here it is again with the green toile. Gorgeous, as-is!!

• teacats
    16 years ago

I agree with Squirrel and her wonder virtuals: since you are keeping the oak bedroom set for now -- but considering replacing it someday -- perhaps painting it in a satin black finish would really help the whole room feel more updated?

Also love the idea of using a dark sage green color for the walls and the green toile bedding set!

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

jodi - that bedding in the first pic is pottery barn - you're in luck it is on sale. If the modern zen fusion appeals to you, your options are many. As far as the wall color goes, I am seeing gray being used a lot with yellows, so perhaps it could work with your furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: pottery barn bedding.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ohhh, I would love to paint the bedroom set but with all of the other home remodel projects going on right now, it just isn't going to happen anytime soon. Unfortunately our current comforter set is threadbare and ready to leave us (much to my dismay) now.

SquirrelHeaven thank you so much for all the Photoshop work, it has really inspired me. I really like both the Asian setup and the green and white comforter set. I'll have to run these by my husband.

I'll check out the suggested links and research color options a bit later, but please keep the ideas coming...I love them.

Jodi-

• roguevalley
    16 years ago

Squirrel - nice work. Boy, the green walls and toile look really nice.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

RogueV, thanks for the heads-up on the Pottery Barn sale. We found another PB internet sale last month and headed over to see it at PB before buying. We didn't find it, I guess because they don't carry internet items, either that or they were just sold out. Couldn't find someone to help us so we left without an answer.

Jodi-

• wodka
    16 years ago

How about this one? It is similar to the Pottery Barn one, I think. Also, great value and comes in queen and king. I bought it for my mom over a year ago, so have seen it "in person" - it really is a pretty set.

Here is a link that might be useful: kinglinen

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

What about a dark gel stain in a chocolate color on the furniture? Would give you a lot more options. My understanding is that gel stains are very simple to work with. Maybe try it out on the backside of one door, see how hard/easy it is?

If I were in your position (and trust me, I have been), I would get an inexpensive cover using a coupon from BBB or Linen's & Things to tide you over until you can do something about the furniture. Doesn't seem like it makes sense to pour a lot of money into finding bedding to go with furniture you don't like. The likely result will be compromise bedding and a room you still don't like.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Ohhh, I would love to paint the bedroom set but with all of the other home remodel projects going on right now, it just isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I wouldn't paint it. It looks like good quality stuff.

SquirrelHeaven thank you so much for all the Photoshop work, it has really inspired me. I really like both the Asian setup and the green and white comforter set. I'll have to run these by my husband.

I also like the toile and did a google search but couldn't find the exact one.. It would stink to fall in love with it, especially if Oceanna can't remember where the pic came from.

The closest I could find were these. Some come in green, some don't.

Marielle Bedding there is a green

Enchanted Toile Bedding - black, red & blue. I really love this one
    Cameo Toile Bedding - reverses to stripe
    Toile Bouquet Bedding - black, blue, red
    Black Toile Bedding with Bonus Quilt
    Green toile bedding
    Simone Asian Green Toile Bedding King Set - look at the price of this one!
    Parkway Toile Bedding - really love this one!
    Bedford Toile Linens this one is very nice too!
    Prospect Hill Toile & Beatrice Floral Duvet Cover
    MATINE TOILE DUVET COVER & SHAM - Pottery Barn, very nice lots of colors

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Chandler Collection Tropical Green Toile

I also found Waverly Garden Room Wellington Toile

I'll check out the suggested links and research color options a bit later, but please keep the ideas coming...I love them.

It helps to have an idea of what you like, so if you do see something, post back so that we know your tastes.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I, too, remember that Asian toile online. Not so long ago, but those things probably move pretty fast. PB rings a bell.

As far as painting the furniture, if you're not enjoying it as-is, there's really no reason to hold on to a finish just because it's a good, quality piece. It might also save a big investment in new furniture. Resale likely wouldn't bring all that much, anyway, in either finish. A green toile in there, though, with the oak, looks beautiful. I'd probably put some gathered fabric behind the glass door on the other piece.

As far as gel stains -- I'd always heard here easy those are too, except recently! MoonShadow was discussing how that isn't the case. So, her post is still around as it was quite recent. Maybe she'll also pop in and explain the problems. Nevertheless, a little more research might be a good idea if you consider it!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

PB has a green toile, similar feel in scale and print. I think it might even be the same one from above. They have a duvet, which could make use of your current comforter, and also a quilt. I see Rose has also posted this one, but I'll separate it out here, anyway :)

Then there's this green leaf design also. Maybe with something white (or light) along the end of the bed to lighten things up.

Green Leaf Bedding

Large Scale Green Toile

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Hi Jodi, how are you making out? Did you see anything you liked?

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Roselvr, I like a couple of the Pottery Barn sets and am very tempted by them.

I sure love the way the painted version of the bedroom set looks. So, so tempting. Just too, too many projects going on right now and the need for a new comforter set trumps painting right now.

The bedroom set is a Thomasville and truly is in great shape. I've kept it clean and oiled regularily since I got it back on New Year's day 1986.

Even though I'd love to have an updated look in that room, I'd really hate to part with the set as I love the fact that it not only has great reading lights, and a sloped headboard for reading and TV viewing, but lots of storage as well. It's a small bedroom so that's important.

The other chest you see in the mirror is a matching entertainment unit holding our TV, stereo and my husband's accessories. Other than those two pieces and a wicker chair, there is no other furniture in the room.

I'll post a photo when I finally decide.

Jodi- gosh, I love this forum

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Jodi, if you really like the look of the first room you posted, with the grey/green walls and the PB Hat Pin bedding, why don't you check that out? I like that look a lot and think the bedding would be pretty in your room and the wall color they show is perfect, especially with your beautiful Golden Oak bedroom set. While I am not especially into oak right now, I think your set looks wonderful--just as it is. Sure, you could paint or deepen the stain down the road, but my goodness! You have something others would love to have--show it off with the right wall color and bedding.
    I think Nantucket Grey (BM) suggested by Kmcg85 is a fairly close match to that color. Even my Northampton Putty in my dining room looks quite close--maybe more green than grey? Order a sham from PB and check it out. If it looks good, grab a quart of one of these colors and roll some on the wall right next to your headboard affair so you can see how nice it would look next to the wood and with the bedding.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red DR in Northampton Putty

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I wouldn't part with that br set either, unless your taste has totally changed. And it's probably far better quality than the newer, terribly expensive stuff. The lines really don't look dated, imo, as some of those older oak sets do. It's more the linens and accessories that could update the feel for you, I think. I might paint it, but with the greens it looks absolutely beautiful. If you can put a sheer or other fabric behind the glass door, it might freshen that cabinet. (I think some remotes these days will go thru fabric, if that's a problem. Not sure if a sheer negates the remote or not.)

Good luck with the projects!!

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have tried and tried to go through with the online purchase of the Pottery Barn Hat Pin design comforter set that is on sale and have stopped just short of entering my credit card number each time.

I love the colors (especially the sheet set that comes with it) with the exception of the ivory background. The ivory looks like it has pink tones instead of yellow tones to me.

I prefer a cleaner look I guess, with a white background and a bold but sophisticated pattern (i.e. no 60s flower power type pattern or something). I like the Pottery Barn comforter below but cannot find it anywhere on their site. It is only being used to sell the white herringbone blanket. I keep leaning toward sage and similar greens.

I realize that bright white backgrounds do not lend themselves to the Asian look and feel I mentioned earlier but I just keep going back to it. Perhaps because the comforter we've had for the last 15 years (shown in my first post) had a white background and it really brightened up the room.

Any ideas where I can find something like the comforter (or duvet) below? Again, would like a complete set, I'm no good at going out and finding matching pillows, bedskirt and such.

Thanks!

{{gwi:1615055}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Hat Pin comforter

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Jodi, send me an email through my member page.. I found the set you like / posted above.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Done.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Replied! Good luck. I like the leaves better then the hat pin one. The toile in green is also a fave.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Love the new green and white set, although it does look too white and crisp to me. I get more of a British Colonial feel from it.

I wonder if you'd like this one that was posted a bit back. It's light, but with a softer cream background. I think it has a bit of an Asian or exotic feel to it and it works nicely with your wood tones, which are in the photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yet another set

• mpwdmom
    16 years ago

Just saw this thread...Jody (or anyone else) do you have any info on the bed pictured in your 3rd inspiration photo? It's dark and paneled and has nice molding detail.

Thank you, and I apologize for the OT.
    Susan

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's the new one you're looking at, with a bit lighter and brighter green:

{{gwi:1615059}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Jodi, here's the Bird of Paradise floral (the full comforter wasn't in the pic, so it's just pieces put together). A white blanket or duvet on the end looks pretty with cream and can also brighten things up.

If you don't have much light in your room, maybe a lighter brighter green and not so gray as the paint you're loving in the Hat Pin room above.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Nice work Squirrel!

The leave drove me nuts. It appears PB has a few different sets of leaves patterns. The one I found was not it. I do like the one she picked. I would see if they have a web chat to ask about the name of the pattern

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's the Hat Pin set. The second pic has a color similar to the wall color in the ad, which you loved. I left the white blanket off the end, as it didn't seem to look as nice as in the Bird of Paradise set. Seemingly too white for this set.

I didn't make the paint on the far wall as light as in the ad, in that your room doesn't seem bright like that one.

I'm confused on the bedding sets. The Hat Pin, green & white leaves, and toile all seem to be on PB.

HTH!

• wodka
    16 years ago

ooh, I love the hatpin comforter set with jodi's furniture - so warm and inviting, and color blends nicely with her wood. The bird of paradise also looks good. I might be partial because I just love those color combinations.

• susieq07
    16 years ago

This link has several and this weekend Free shipping also..
    http://www.brylanehome.com/department.aspx?DeptId=15166&12PerPage=1

Here is a link that might be useful: Brylane Home

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I think I like the Hat Pin.

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, SquirrelHeaven, you've been busy again! Thanks!

We're heading over to Pottery Barn this weekend again to see what they have in store. We went about a month ago to check out the Bird of Paradise set but we felt it looked bit too traditional for us, and again, we are hoping to find a whiter background.

I too like the Hat Pin set and really did order it twice, stopping at the credit card entry part both time. I could live with the background if the online image didn't look like it has a pinkish tint to it. Since I am a graphic designer (sadly without any interior design talent), I have two color balanced monitors (Mac/PC) that I work with. They, along with my laptop read the background with pink tones.

Hopefully PB will have it at the store for me to look at even though the sale at their web site is online orders only.

You guys are great! Thanks for sticking around to help me.

Jodi-

• Jodi_SoCal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

UPDATE:

I bought the Hat Pin Duvet and Sheet set.

Today I called the online catalog 800 number and got Carol, a wonderfully helpful gal.

I told Carol I wanted to find a sample of the fabric before I committed to buy to verify the background color. She said she fully understood my dilemma, put me on hold and went looking for a swatch. Nothing. Then, she said, I can give you an even better deal on the Hat Pin set (duvet, 2 shams, and sheet set). Instead of $139.99 she would give it to me for $114.99. SOLD! LOL I also bought two tall Seagrass bar stools.

Jodi-

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

The Hat Pin comforter looks really great in there. I don't see the pink you see, but hopefully it will come through as a cream. Great choice! Works beautifully with your furnishings.

• wodka
    16 years ago

Congratulations, jodi. Please send pics! It's such a pretty set.

• athomewith3
    16 years ago

Hat Pin ALL THE WAY!!! I love it......