Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treasuretheday

Please help my parents get past a 25 year impasse

treasuretheday
12 years ago

My 77 year old parents have lived in the same 1920's farm house for the past 43 years. For at least the past 25 years, they have had an unfinished project that I now realize has caused them considerable disagreement. Back in the mid-80's, they had replaced a wall mounted natural fireplace with a three-sided fireplace. They covered the chimney with plywood until they could decide what to do with it. Apparently, they not only can't decide but they aren't even close to agreement.

Here is the source of their angst:

(Of course, there isn't usually a Christmas tree in the corner(!) The chandelier was hanging there in preparation for installation in the adjacent dining room so, if possible, please ignore that.)

They have been planning to tile the lower third of the chimney and try to put matching paneling on the top two thirds but my mom hasn't found anything that she likes to go with the knotty pine paneling. The paneling has yellowed quite a bit through the years and it really is a pretty ugly golden shade now, far worse than the pictures show. If it were up to her, she would paint the paneling. My dad could not disagree more. He doesn't love the yellow shade of the paneling but there is no way he'd consider painting it. He just wants to do something to get the project completed.

I found someone who is confident that the paneling (which is very high quality) can be restained to a color of their choice and would do this within a budget that my parents can live with. This seems like the ideal solution for my parents. Now, if they can just decide what to do about the fireplace, they will be able to choose a stain color!

Here is a wider shot of the room, which is an eclectic clutter of furniture:

My parents are not planning a total makeover of the room but are finally (finally!) going to install carpet, replace the curtains and paint some of the window trim. They want to keep the beams and ceiling fans. I don't know if I'll be able to persuade them to thin out the excess furniture but I'll definitely be trying!

This is a long narrow room (16' x 25') and with lots of natural light. There are long walls of the Pella windows with built-in blinds and stained wood trim. The windows at the end of the room have painted frames and there are French doors leading into the room from the dining room which will also need to be painted.

I told my mom about Garden Web and how helpful and creative its members are so she's pretty excited about hearing your input.

Any suggestions for materials, colors, etc for their fireplace would so appreciated! Would you suggest a mantel? If so, what type and where? Any other suggestions for the room are welcome (although at their age and with their frugal nature, I'm not sure that they would make buying new furniture a priority!)

Thanks very much!!

Comments (30)

• missmuffet
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My vote would be for a stone look. I used to have a room like that, and our fireplace had brick up to the ceiling. I often wished it had stone though - because the natural wood/stone combination would have fit together much better. They could also try to divide the space in half with a big chunky mantle if it seemed like too much stone. I would definitely consider a raised hearth.

Good luck ending the stand off.

• vsalzmann
    12 years ago

I would restain the color of their choice and tile the entire fireplace. It will make it a beautiful focal point in the room. And they don't have to worry about matching paneling.

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

This room has sooo much potential and there are alot of different directions they could go! To give an informed opintion it would be helpful to know or see pictures of the outside of the house so we can see the style, and any adjacent rooms to help with color flor choices. I see they have some yellow lamps and a brass chandelier which may indicate they like warm yellow colors?

• corgimum
    12 years ago

I agree with missmuffet. Cultured stone would look great with a hearth and a barn wood mantel. There are many stone choices and colors to choose from.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cultured stone

• missmuffet
    12 years ago

Hey - I just asked my DH and in about a minute he also said stone. Amazing since we couldn't make a decision on anything in our kitchen!

• judithn
    12 years ago

Stone! That knotty-pine is gorgeous and so natural looking. Rustic stone in natural shapes would be my vote. There's not a lot of space on either side but I'd be inclined to actually take it to the windows, if possible. Just putting the stone above the fireplace opening without bringing it down to the floor somehow would look a little strange. I think it needs to be anchored to the floor. Have you tried bringing over some samples? I bet you could figure out how to fasten them to the plywood to give them a taste of what it could look like. Maybe some intrepid photoshopper GW'er will do a little creative wizardry. I hate the idea of your folks going another 25 years without a resolution! Good luck.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I agree about the stone actually what I wanted to say was that I love those yellow lamps. If they're not going to keep them I'll send you my address. :-)

• annzgw
    12 years ago

When you mentioned restaining the pine, would this be the new pine added to the plywood or do you mean the whole room?
    If the guy is talking about doing the whole room I'd have him come in and do a small area so your parents could see his work and also see what would be involved to complete the job.

IMO, they're not going to want to live thru the work necessary to get the walls to a lighter color. The guy may be able to put a darker shellac on the paneling, or a glaze, which would require less work, but they'd have to be happy with a darker wall.

Matching newer paneling to the old is possible, but I'd prefer stone above the fireplace.

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

I'd do stone too. I was in a flooring store that also sold stone veneers and you can get board samples of it to take home. I don't think I'd select a stone color until I knew what color I was really dealing with on the walls. Then I'd select the stone and then the rug.

• User
    12 years ago

They could also do slate, slate or quartzite which very rustic and comes in a variety of colors as well.

• juliekcmo
    12 years ago

I agree with the above posts and think that aloha's pictures are good idea boards to use.

However, I must butt in a bit to offer the unsolicited advice that you try not to take any of this too personally. Even if you come up with solutions that are perfectly acceptable and what your parents say they want, this problem may not go away.

It is not unsafe as is, just a stalemate of design. And it has nothing to do with you.

If I am completely off base, then I apologize.

Best of luck.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

We had the same paneling in our last home, and painted it after living their 10 years. Almost always the paneling has a clear finish over it (even if not shiny). They won't be able to stain directly over the paneling. We had to paint ours with Kilz, then two coats of paint. Luckily, now they have all-in-one products to save a step.

I would use real stone and paint the walls/trim, but maybe leave the beams stained.

• muskokascp
    12 years ago

I agree with stone too. I am not a fan of pine and had it in the sunroom off my kitchen in our last house. It definitely acquires that yucky yellow with age and that is a defining statement right now in this room. It will be a big job to change the look of the pine. As allison said, there is a clear finish over top of these boards that will have to be removed before it can be restained. My vote is to paint the walls as this will have a huge impact on the feel of the room. It will open it up and create a much cleaner palette to work with. Even re-stained the color will probably have to go darker and the wood just seems to overwhelm the space. Leave the beams,paint the trim, add new pillows, new drapes, new carpet, hang some art work and remove several chairs.

There is a lot of potential for this room but I understand the difficulty in making these changes, especially for older parents. It always seems that men are reluctant to paint wood - why is that?

• teacats
    12 years ago

Another BIG vote for stone -- and a mantel -- if it can be worked into the design and budget.

Yes -- another very strong vote to paint the panelling!! :)

BUT -- if a fresh stain color would work for the panelling -- then go for it! :)

Of course -- when these projects happen -- then the room must be cleared out -- and new choices for furniture and arrangements and accessories can happen too!

• chispa
    12 years ago

Your mother should have sent your father on a week long fishing trip 20 years ago and painted the room while he was gone ... it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!! I've never heard anyone regret that they painted their paneling. Could you show your father some before & after paneling projects?

• muskokascp
    12 years ago

Here is an past GW thread with before and after pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: before and after

• treasuretheday
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all SO much for your input, suggestions, and understanding of the challenges presented by dealing with my parents on this project. This decorating decision, among others, has led to so much bickering between the two of them in recent years and that makes me sad.

I'm not a huge fan of knotty pine either so I understand that freshening up the room by painting the paneling might be the way to go but my dad would probably sulk off and refuse to participate further. Now that they CAN agree on changing the color of the paneling, that is what I must work with. The woman who came out to see the room impressed all of us with her knowledge of wood and experience in dealing with just this type of situation. She even managed to make both of my parents happy with how she dealt with their concerns. They both felt that she was "on their side" which seems to mean alot to them.

We'll spot test ahead, of course, but the tentative plan is to go with something slightly darker but not so dark as to make the room close in too much. (Although they have a "study" (library) that has dark cordovan/mahogany stained knotty pine paneling that is gorgeous!) She encouraged my parents to find their tile, etc. first and then she would help them come up with the right color stain for the paneling.

I'd love for them to put stone on the fireplace... a clear consensus, it seems! I'm not sure how my parents will respond to the idea of stone instead of tile so I will need to find some samples I can bring to them or at least a place that they can see what that could look like.

Thanks, Aloha, for the pictures. I found this one on Houzz as well and I love the look!

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mountain-home-living-room-with-stone-fireplace-rustic-family-room-santa-barbara-phvw-vp~240297)

[traditional living room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by santa barbara interior designer Maraya Droney Design

Thanks again for all of your help. I'll try to get some more pictures of their house so that you can put this room into context. Their house has alot of character but it has never quite lived up to its potential. My parents have been content to maintain it without changing or improving it much through the years. They are frugal and conservative people by nature so, as things needed to be replaced, they did so with practical and economical choices, rather than following a design aesthetic or period authenticity. Case in point, they recently had a plumbing issue in their only true full bath that resulted in an insurance claim that would have covered replacement of virtually the entire bathroom. Instead, they were determined to find a tile that "would do" with their existing aqua colored wall tile. The off-color result would have been wholly unacceptable to most people but they were satisfied. (As I'm sure their insurance adjuster was as well!) They love their "new" bathroom so I just smile and nod my head.

• treasuretheday
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, Hoosiergirl, for all of the links. Those are some lovely fireplaces. I haven't seen one yet that is a three-sided fireplace though so I'm wondering how the stone would look on their fireplace(?)

• tuesday_2008
    12 years ago

We all know that panelling would look great painted, but I am so glad you are not pushing the issue. I know it is disappointing to your mom, but it just wouldn't be worth it to upset your dad about painting the walls, as he must have very strong feelings about this issue. I personally like the walls the color they are, and am not sure that it would change the overall look to darken them.

Once you tile/stone the fireplace, will they be willing to let you "help them accessorize"? Perhaps some lighter drapes, pillows, etc.

I love their chairs ligned up on the right wall :). Reminds me of my MIL.

Tuesday.

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

Here are hoosiergirl's pictures:

{{gwi:1614684}}

{{gwi:1614686}}

{{gwi:1614688}}

{{gwi:1614690}}

{{gwi:1614692}}

• annzgw
    12 years ago

I have to agree with tuesday in regard to changing the wall color. Unless money isn't a factor, I'd first do the fireplace and then see how much money is left in their budget to do the walls.

Try showing them slate (mentioned earlier), flagstone, or granite tiles since those would be less bulky than some of the faux stone. Another option are some of the stones that have more of a brick look (see link below). I would stay away from colored tiles and guide them toward natural colors.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• erinsean
    12 years ago

For now, why not just paint the wood that is on the fireplace...Paint is cheap. I can see that upper wall a beige like their sofa. Also why are the three chairs lined up in a row on the right side of their living room? If they need them....how about just two with a small small table between them. Third one could go under the table I see in the foreground. Sometimes we live with things and are so used to them, it is not noticed. A nice thing you are doing for them.

• treasuretheday
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wanted to thank all of you again for all of your helpful input and your understanding on my parents' family room dilemma. I also wanted to update you and share the happy news that the impasse is OVER.

My parents were able to agree on a lovely ledgestone which they had installed to the ceiling of their fireplace, a tile hearth, and new drapes. AND, the paneling has been cleaned, freshened and stained ever-so-slightly darker, eliminating the horrible yellow color. I think that they could have gone a little darker than the honey color but, more importantly, they are BOTH very pleased. They are so proud of their progress and are looking forward to painting the trim and having carpet installed over the next few weeks. They shocked me by ordering furniture last week, without my input. That's something that usually requires months (years?) of agonizing and multiple trips with me to every furniture store in town. I love seeing the room come together for them and can't wait to share the "after" pictures with you this summer.

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

Can you show us the after pics?

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

yes, after pics please!

• treasuretheday
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll definitely take some in-progress pictures the next time I can get over there. It will be a couple of months before the new furniture arrives. Thanks!

• celticmoon
    11 years ago

Cool! Love to see the after pix!

• loribee
    11 years ago

Happy ending!!