Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willowdecor_gw

Paint Transformed my Knotty Pine Wood Walls

willowdecor
13 years ago

Wanted to share with you the incredible transformation of my Knotty Pine Paneled Walls at my beach house with paint. After many GW comments we took the plunge and finally painted the wood. We use 1 coat of Kilz and 2 coats of primer then 2 coats of Farrow and Ball Pointing. The ceilings are Farrow and Ball Pale Powder. We are amazed at how large it looks now and its so much more beachy!

Here is the link with all the before and afters.

Thanks again to you all for helping us decide to do it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Knotty Pine Wood Walls Painted

Comments (41)

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry to post twice - it seemed that the first one didnt post - but now it is up!

Sometimes I feel like I will never feel confident with my abilities on GW!
    xx-Willow

• maid_o_cliff
    13 years ago

What a beautiful transformation. BRAVO

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Fabulous!!!
    I bet the boys are delighted.
    You did a remarkable job.
    Do you take reservations...?

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

As one who has quite a bit of vintage knotty pine in her own house, I've always thought it best not to paint it -- but you've caused me to rethink my stance on that! The transformation is nothing short of marvelous and takes your space from woodsy and cabin-like to airy and beachy and simply gorgeous. Well done!

• dazzlemewithcolor
    13 years ago

Now that is beachy! Wow you did a great job.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

The painted pine looks as though it was always meant to be. It's so lovely. What a transformation!

• terezosa / terriks
    13 years ago

Looks great and gives a much beachier feel.

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

What can I say that has not already been said.........The new look is fabulous. You existing furniture goes perfectly with the new color walls.

• mrsmarv
    13 years ago

G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S! I'll bet even "the boys" realize how beautiful (and fitting) the transformation is. Kudos to you!

• bird_lover6
    13 years ago

Beautiful! And that must have been a lot of work. :)

• Tiffany Altieri
    13 years ago

Men and wood paneling, ARG! I can't believe that made you wait that long to do this AMAZING transformation.

• OKMoreh
    13 years ago

Men and wood paneling, ARG!

Wait a minute! I've painted paneling in two rooms in my house! (There are other rooms where I'm not painting it, though.)

OTOH, once, in a building I managed, I desperately wanted to paint a bunch of cabinets with doors of only paint-grade plywood that someone had misguidedly stained instead. The project was vetoed by a woman, on the grounds that, although the doors were only paint-grade , the cabinet frames were stain-grade.

• maddielee
    13 years ago

Looks Wonderful!

ML

• dawn25
    13 years ago

It looks amazing! Painting it was exactly the right thing to do.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!! We are really happy with it!!
    xx-willow

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

It looks great! Those rooms in a beachy environment were just calling out for some white paint.

Lucky you, to have a beach house!

• nikkia2112
    13 years ago

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Wow...it looks fantastic. I'm glad you took the plunge and painted, it really looks beachy now and you have it so well arranged and nicely appointed. CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I will jump on the pile. Absolutely love it! Wonderful choice in colors. Packing for a visit. I will bring my own sand shovel.

• Tiffany Altieri
    13 years ago

Haha, ok okmoreh SOME men and wood paneling. A lot of them, but not all ;)

• deborah1950
    13 years ago

Isn't it amazing what paint can do? I like your style! We ended up having a lot of our tongue and groove knotty pine painted and boy, what a difference! I had bought two light fixtures for the hall ceiling, and after it was all painted I returned one. The difference in light was amazing. It went from feeling like I was in a box to feeling like I was in a beach house. I have to add that I am not near a beach. It was a hard decision, but we are so glad because it has made the rooms so much happier! Don't you just love the textural interest your painted wood has now? I really enjoy all your posts-keep them coming please.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Light, airy...wonderful! ENJOY!

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I have seen your blog and thought how beautiful your room was before. And thought how wonderful it must be to have a beach house to escape to.

Question? I noticed you have a lot of willow pieces and they look GREAT natural in your room. My question is, if a person has lots of willow pieces (say on their Victorian porch)and it looks too rustic. Would it look less rustic if it were painted...say...white or even gray? I've had these pieces for over twenty years as well and payed a lot of money back then. I have seen willow pieces painted white in a shabby chic kind of way and it looked pretty good, years ago.

I would love antique wicker on the porch but as it is right now, I can't. Your thoughts?

I know I am highjacking but since I have YOU, I am taking full advantage of it. (lol)

Below is a picture of the porch one Halloween.

......Jane

{{!gwi}}

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

I have a willow chair and trellis on the other side of the porch. And since this picture was taken I have another willow table.

You probably think this is beyond tacky to highjack like this, I agree. But I wanted to pick your brain.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Since I have gone this far, maybe I can go a little further. This is a picture of the porch taken last Halloween and the furniture I have on the porch now.

The floor of the porch is a chipping Essex green which is a dark dark green and my house is kind of painted a light brown. Would it look to funny to paint that ugly table beside the willow sofa torquoise or black. I already have the two colors.

Okay, please ya'll don't start on me about highjacking. I know I do it all too often.

{{gwi:1507258}}

• yborgal
    13 years ago

Goodness! Hard to believe it's the same house!!!

• pupwhipped
    13 years ago

Oh dear, I knew I shouldn't have opened this post. Well, your home looks great. That's the problem. I have a lake home built in 1952 that we are remodeling. The front room with fireplace has a vaulted/cathedral ceiling and the whole room is knotty pine. Hubby would never let me paint it, and really I don't want to either, but I sure am wondering how it would look with JUST the ceiling painted. Hate to even suggest it to him. Sometime I'm gonna take a picture and ask for suggestions. For the time being, and to help newdawn not be alone in the hijack, does anyone remember a pic here where the cathedral ceiling was painted in a knotty pine den. I know I saw a picture once on some thread...I've searched somewhat but cannot find it. Thanks if anyone recalls.

Newdawn, hmmmm I don't know about painting your furniture. I think it looks nice as is. Maybe someone else has more insight.

Thanks and congrats on a lovely, lovely home Willow!
    pup

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Really Mona, I hope it didn't go down hill.

Pupwhipped it sounded like a good idea this morning but I am too whipped out now. Thanks!

• teacats
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!!!

Once again -- The Power of Paint comes through for another room! :)

Just teasing! :)

A REALLY wonderful transformation -- Fresh, Light and Welcoming!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• polly929
    13 years ago

Willow...it looks beautiful. I did the same to our cottage style house when we moved in 3 years ago. The entire first floor was knotty pine, and dark, and I wanted to brighten it up. Someday I will get around to posting before and after pics. What color white did you use?

• polly929
    13 years ago

I hit submit too soon-

Is that a sisal area rug or seagrass? I have a sectional in my living room that is the same as your slipcovered chairs. I would love that type of area rug in there, but I'm afraid it won't be soft enough for my little guy ( I have an almost 1 yr. old) Is it rough or soft?

• natal
    13 years ago

What a difference! Did you consider not painting the fireplace? I would have been curious to see how that would look with the painted paneling.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all,
    So funny to read all the posts! Ok here goes from the bottom up...

Natal: I did consider not painting the fireplace and we actually did the walls first to see how it would look. It was too red against the stark walls. We also considered white washing it, but I couldn't remove the soot stains, so in the end we just painted it.

Polly: The big rug is Jute from PB. Very soft actually and was inexpensive- a close out. The small runners are cotton from Crate and Barrel. The Paint is Farrow and Ball Pointing on walls and Pale Powder on ceiling.

PupWhipped - Originally the sunporch ceiling was also wood colored. I painted it and you can see it in the before picture - it looks good with the pine walls. Also if you look at my newest post on Bermuda you will see a wood room with a vaulted blue ceiling. Good inspiration for you.

Newdawn: I love the willow furniture as is and would NOT paint it ever!! I love the bark texture and the interest it adds to the porch. My recommendation is to pick two colors -ie: essex green floor and pale blue ceilings- cover the cushions in one of those colors or a subtle pattern with those colors. The furniture will seem more cohesive and the lines will then be more noticeable in a good way. I think the current fabric is what is distracting your eye not the furniture itself. The tables can be painted shades of those two colors if you want.

To everyone else - thanks so much for kind comments. It still has a long way to go but we are so happy we painted it! My hubby really loves it.
    x-Willow

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thanks so much Willow for taking the time. I love your new look at your lake house!

.....Jane

• flowermum
    13 years ago

Very pretty! You are really talented.

• willowdecor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jane,
    Email me direct if you ever have questions! Always happy to help! :)
    x-Willow

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Thank you Willow, you are a dear. I always look forward to reading your blog each morning.

Mona I thought you were talking about my porch not Willow's house, so sorry.

• pupwhipped
    13 years ago

Thanks from me, too, Willow. I had not noticed that in your sunroom. My ceiling is vaulted and it's hard to describe, but every 12 to 18 inches there is a plank running against the ceiling. Don't know what else to call it. If I painted the actual ceiling, I would leave the "planks" wood colored. I saw a picture of the same thing in some thread awhile back but I can't find it. I think it would look good in my space...but then there's hubby to convince, ya know.

I will post my own thread one of these days with pics of my room...gotta straighten the room first as we continue to be in the thick of remodeling. I do think you talented people would be chomping at the bit to make it over. I know it would be fabulous painted all white, but I just can't go all out. Anyway, look for my upcoming post...one of these "years." HA!

And I agree with Newdawn, I enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

pup

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Willow - Your rooms look wonderful!

I am showing this to my SIL's friend who is getting ready to rip knotty pine out of a house he inherited from a great aunt.

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Of course, PP, I'm sure you know there is a market for reclaimed knotty pine!

Love the look. The hutch looks magnificent now against the white.

We have white knotty pine, but the PO had already painted it a hideous putty color.

• camreit_triad_rr_com
    13 years ago

I am also getting ready to paint notty pine walls in a beach cottage. There are hardwoods under carpet to refinish and they appear to be sort of orange like the walls. They are thin planks as the house was built in 1940 or before. Not sure what color to stain them. Also....
    Any suggestions on where to find reasonable slipped covered sectional in the white/off white?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH