Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mihelene

Interior paint color for spec house

mihelene
10 years ago

Well, started the renovation of my dreams but life has interceded and my husband took a new job in another state. We are finishing the house and will put it on the market in a couple of months to take advantage of spring (when it comes). Would like to chose one neutral pleasant color for the entire interior of the house to make both the painter's and my life as easy as possible. The house is open plan, gets a lot of natural light, has medium dark hardwood through out and natural cherry cabs with a grey island in the kitchen. Any suggestions for one color for all?
Thanks for your help.

Comments (28)

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

I would go with a pale gray

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Ben Moore Berkshire Beige (if it goes with the island - our island is a tan/grey combination). We used it at 75%. It's a beautiful neutral (we have it both in our hallway, which gets almost no natural light, and our great room, which is full of sunlight).

• tibbrix
    10 years ago

Sherwin Williams Repose Gray

• ellendi
    10 years ago

SW Macadamia

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd opt for a beige over a gray as it feels warmer and cozier.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Carrington Beige HC-93 from Benjamin Moore .....

.... a very neutral beige .....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Carrington Beige

• teacats
    10 years ago

Or perhaps fresh simple white .....

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Decorators White CC-20

• teacats
    10 years ago

Possible neutral but darker color: Copley Gray from BM's Historical Collection HC-104

Here is a link that might be useful: BM - darker Copley Gray HC-104

• crl_
    10 years ago

I'd go with a warm off-white wall color. Maybe try Benj, Moore marble white. Do you need a trim color too? If so take a look at Benj, Moore white dove.

• Fluffeebiskits1
    10 years ago

SW Softer Tan or Behr Chateau

• chispa
    10 years ago

BM Grant Beige

• mom2girls_2008
    10 years ago

BM Jute

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    10 years ago

We are getting my brother's townhouse ready to sell and we are using SW Concord Buff on the walls and SW Alabaster on the trim throughout the house. I chose that color because it was recommended on a real estate website as a good neutral but not boring color that looks good in lots of different lighting situations.

In the picture you can see the Concord Buff (along with a bit of the old color in the closet and near the ceiling) next to the primer.

• mom2girls_2008
    10 years ago

Oops neglected to add the picture of BM Jute:

• peony4
    10 years ago

Just ask your painter what he/she would recommend. They often develop a good eye for color and have seen plenty.

Good luck with the sale/move/new job.

• caminnc
    10 years ago

I would pick several nice SOFT colors that you like and most anyone else would like too. Then hold up two colors in the room that you will be painting and pick the color you like the best. Then pick up another color and pick which one you like the best. Do this until you go through all the colors. Paint the last color you are holding.

• bluestarrgallery
    10 years ago

I like that concord buff choice suggested for a spec home.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for all your replies. I made a board of the predominant selections for the house; after viewing those I feel like the ever popular "greige" would be a good choice? If I were going to live there I probably would have chosen a grey but wondering if that's too trendy and I would be better off with a beige/taupe color? Floor pic in lower right hand corner reads too light; the floors are closer to the upper left hand corner pic with the cabinet doors sitting on top of it. Completely lost; thanks for your help!

• gmp3
    10 years ago

Bennington Gray

Here is a link that might be useful: Bennington gray

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for all your suggestions; some were great but a bit too dark. What do you think of BM Elmira White given the counters, cabs & floors. Can ceiling be painted the same color or should they be white. The painter was no help at all!

• msrose
    10 years ago

Speaking of a greige, what about BM Revere Pewter or BM Edgecomb Gray.

• suero
    10 years ago

Elmira White will go well with whatever colors your buyers like. I have a similar color in my home, and whatever color you put against it works well.

• msrose
    10 years ago

I found a picture of Elmira White. I really like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elmira White

• zen4d
    10 years ago

I like the Elmira White - nice grey undertones and very neutral.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link msrose, Elmira white it is. One less thing to do!

• msrose
    10 years ago

Can you post a picture after you paint? I'd love to know what you think of Elmira White when you see it in person.

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

I really like the Elmira White for a spec color. I have read recently that white for wall color is "back"⦠It has a modern vibe as in a museum setting for modern art. Or it can have a tutor look with dark wood and traditional interiors. Very versatile and fresh.

• mihelene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

msrose, I will try to post pictures after we are done, house is in MI and I, thank goodness, am in FL. I will be heading back up there in a month or so and will remember to get you some pictures then.