Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelly_k_gw

Seeking a warm gray or greige paint color!

shelly_k
13 years ago

My cabinets are espresso and I have painted several colors on my wall and they are all too cool for my cabinets. I thought I would love BM Silver Fox but it is quite cool. My husband doesn't want the standard "beige" color for our open kitchen/great room, but I want a warm color that looks good with the cabinets. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Pics would be great!

Comments (23)

• limom_2bts
    13 years ago

My DD painted her LR with Behr "Wheat Bread". It looks kind of beige-ey in the sunlight and tends towards grey in the evenings.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

We have 2 different paints in our house that no one can say whether they're khaki beige or gray:

Ralph Lauren's Sahara NA52 (Home Depot)
    and
    Ralph Lauren's Manor Grey NA47

They seem to change colors with the light and with the angle...I'd take pictures, but they don't photograph well for a good impression of how they look...or maybe it's my camera, or the photographer! ;-)

• spinmomnj
    13 years ago

I used ben moore Collingwood in my dining room, and edgecomb gray is also a nice choice

• happytobehome
    13 years ago

Ben Moore Himalayan Trek

• katieob
    13 years ago

Another vote for Edgecomb Gray by BM.

• Lisa B.
    13 years ago

BM Early Morning Mist. Just bought a 5-gallon bucket of it to paint most of our main floor. It was described in a decorating book as a perfect "greige". Depending on lighting, it can read as either color, which is cool since it will look different on different-angled surfaces. Good luck!

• poppy09
    13 years ago

I have both Sherwin Williams' City Loft and Modern Gray in my house and I adore each color. Definitely warm grays. Good luck!

• mom2reese
    13 years ago

I've used Sherwinn Williams Worldly Gray and Amazing Gray in my house. Both are "warm" and go well with my dark stained cabinets.

Amazing Gray is one level of up from Worldly Gray on the color strip.

• sherean
    13 years ago

We used Sherwin Williams Anew Gray as the basic color throughout the house we're building and I love it. It's gray with taupe undertones. I have white cabinets in the kitchen with an espresso island and I think the color looks great. It's also in the great room, halls, basement and a guest bedroom. I like it so much I'm tempted to use it in the master. It's one of those great colors that works well with either warm or cool tones. I just threw up a couple of pics of our kitchen and great room (very much a work-in-progress) so you could see the color. Good luck finding the right one for you!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Flicker Page with Anew Gray Wall Pictures

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the suggestions -- I will be getting samples tomorrow!! :)

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

I used Coastal Fog in my dining room by Benjamin Moore and LOVE IT!!!!!!!! It is a grey, green taupey color. So neutral, bright, calm and colorful at the same time.

• jb1176
    13 years ago

BM Revere Pewter? to gray?

• shelly_k
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are between Anew Gray and Annapolis Gray. Our thoughts change daily... both look differently in different lights... so hard!

Annapolis Gray is definitely more beige and it almost looks peachy? Kate-- did you see any peachy at all? Or is just looking warmer next to the Anew Gray?

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

peachy? no, not here. i have it up, lit by a 40 watt wall sconce. i went out and had a sample mixed just yesterday and painted it on a 5x8 wall. i even put up the art that i have planned for the space. it looks perfect. color is relative to it's surroundings so if you put other colors next to it you'll actually comprehend the tones a bit differently. i love annapolis because of it's absence of a lot of yellow or red so it doesn't seem TOO beige, really. it reads quite gray/stone next to the other sample i bought: pismo dunes. now THAT is beige. really beige; like camel. dark with a lot of yellow and red. no gray at all. annapolis in comparison is more like stone, i'd say a creamy, gray stone. sorry, did i just say the same thing five times?!
    color is a personal thing though. it may not be for everyone but it's my new love!

p.s.: i also picked up a sample of quiet moments in my travels which is a very pale, gray-blue. i think i'll use that in the guest bath. gorgeous color!

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

shelly: i have to go back to the paint store tuesday to pick up a fan deck so i'll have some anew gray mixed too. i saw a large room painted in annapolis and was so taken by it, so i only bought one other sample (the pismo) to compare.

the thing is, i have already been on the greige roller coaster from our old home. i ended up mixing my own, custom color then since i never did find "the one'!

like you, i want the color to be more gray ...but definitely not cold. the problem with the tan/beiges is they tend to go too red or yellow. i don't want that. but as i said, depends on light and as compared to by surroundings.

• lattegirl1
    13 years ago

Look at Sherwin William Silver Chain.

• altagirl
    13 years ago

I have SW Fawn Brindle in my kitchen but brought it down to 65% to lighten it up a little. It is definitely a gray but can look a little greenish depending on the light.

• eichkay
    13 years ago

too late? farrow and ball's elephant's breath. warm grey goes with dark furniture

• willowdecor
    13 years ago

I have Artic Shadows from Benjamin Moore - warm gray with greenish undertones. Very neutral and easy to live with.
    Here is the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Arctic Shadows Ben Moore

• segbrown
    13 years ago

We used Elmira White by BM. It might not be gray enough, or deep enough, but it is very neutral, looks good with cool and warm and dark wood. Pix aren't very good, though:

• kitchenconfidential2
    13 years ago

Aura Pashmina by BM

• live_wire_oak
    13 years ago

Look at the new Martha Stewart line at HD. I was there last night checking them out and she has a color called Mourning Dove that is just the perfect warm grey. I'm not so sure about the paint quality, as I understand it's made by Glidden whom I really dislike for their quality. If you could get it in the new Behr premium paint, that stuff is amazingly good paint for the money. Or, have another reputable paint store color match it for you.