Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

color choices for LR/DR/K in new house - DULL?

bbstx
10 years ago

Attached olioboard shows many of the choices I've made for the new house. My goal is calm, soothing, serene. I think I may have jumped over those three and landed square in DULL.

The foyer, living room, dining room, and kitchen are all open to each other. The wood floor runs through the entire downstairs. No rug has been chosen yet. I'm leaning to an oushak that I will post in the next message.

The recliner hasn't been ordered yet, so the leather can change. I thought a light caramel would work best in the room and also have some staying power for future re-decorations.

The gray velvet chesterfield sofa is on order. The velvet has the slightest undertone of green.

An existing wing chair is going to be recovered. I really like the aqua and beige/brown/taupe hunt toile. I shilly shallyed about it, but its siren song is hard to resist.

The dining table is round. I do not know the wood. It may be mahogany. It isn't walnut or cherry. The dining chairs have upholstered backs and seats with Queen Anne legs. I'm having them recovered in the small bluish-gray cut velvet greek key fabric. It has a pale golden backgound. A tiny bit shows through between the cuts.

I would be grateful for suggestions for accessories. I have art in storage. Some of it has been stored so long, I can't remember what I have. But I tend to go to contemporary art with strong colors.

The celadon lamp is not a given. I can use it somewhere else.

I have no rug for the foyer, yet. I'm considering seagrass for the adjacent dining room.

The breakfast room chairs are dark barley twist oak, as is the pub table that goes with them. The seats will be covered in something similar to a grain sack, but a tad more refined. The back ground is off-white on the grayish side; the writing is medium gray and the stripe down the center is light gold.

In the kitchen, the countertop is Ornamental White. The background is grayish-white with swirls of light green and light lavender. There is black graining in it and a few garnet dots. The backsplash will be white subway tile with gray grout.

In lieu of curtains, the windows will be covered in off-white plantation shutters.

I have a relatively short wall in the dining room that has a return air vent at the bottom. I'm considering painting an old sofa table in cinnabar and putting it on that wall. Opinion?

Criticize with abandon! (Your English lesson for today: "critique" is a noun. The verb is "criticize." I cannot bring myself to use "critique" as a verb, although I think some think it sounds less harsh. Now, aren't you glad you know that?)

Comments (32)

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm considering this rug for the living room. The part that shows up brown is a little more golden IRL.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I am sorry I cannot provide a critique; I love it. It is soothing and pretty. Of course, I am not really a good indicator, being famous for not being able to move off the first flap of the Farrow and Ball color card; all shades of white.

If I had to criticize, I would say it is a very of-the-moment color palette, but who can resist that? I also think it'd be easy to update in the future.

PS I will provide a critique of your olioboard itself. I think you need bigger sizes of elements, even though the scale is wrong. If you use the right scale, you don't see much. And that Revere Pewter looks lighter than Ive ever seen it; I have it in my pantry.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, mtn. I like your sensibility, so I very much appreciate your positive comments. I agree that the color palette will be dated in a few years. I'm pretty sure I'm on the tail end of the gray bandwagon (I hear jewel tones are next!). I'm hopeful the sofa, recliner, cabinets, and granite will have staying power. The rest can be redone fairly easily.

Thanks, also for the comment on the olioboard. I agree it is hard to see, but for this one, at least, I wanted each element to have the weight it would have in the room.

And I can't figure out an accurate rendition of Revere Pewter. It is such a chameleon! Almost as bad as the silver sage I have in 2 bedrooms. It looks blue in one and nearly spring green in the other! Ah, the tricks light will play with paint!

I read an article in a design magazine once about a decorator who had had pieces of the room painted different custom colors so that even when there were shadows, the walls all appeared to be exactly the same. I won't be going that far.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I love what you have done. It is almost like being in my own house.

• Sujafr
    10 years ago

Rarely do I see a board that to me is just perfect. Yours is. Not dull--you hit your goal right on the head. And I'm not sure I would call this just a trend, but rather somewhat classic as well. Love your choices!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

As Mtnrdredux suggested, here is the olioboard with each of the elements made larger. I also added a cocktail table I'm considering. It is a gold leaf frame. The top is eglomise with a gold greek key design.

image removed for correction. See below for new image

This post was edited by bbstx on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 17:12

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Here's my crititique: everything looks beautiful and well composed, and so elegant. Although the color palette is very "of the moment" I think it will have longer lasting power than you think.

One thing that I cannot tell from the small olioboard is the cabinet color. To me, I see a yellow undertone and a cream color that might be a bit off with the granite and backsplash tones. The cream seems to be in the toile and goes with the caramel leather, but the items that would be immediately nearby seem to be ever so slightly greyed. This all could be due to colors being reproduced online from different photos.

Are you planning to use the cinnabar elsewhere (accessories)? That's a pretty bold touch in the middle of an aqua/grey/celandon, but it will really work nicely.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Patricia and sujafr, thank you for your very positive reinforcement. I appreciate your taking the time to look at my message and comment.

In my mind, I loved it, but when I put it on the olioboard, I began to doubt my choices.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I think it looks elegant, refined, and serene. It reminds me of my mother's best friend's house, back in the 50s and 60s. So it doesn't look of the moment to me at all, just reminds me of a beautiful home from the past that still looks good now.

The only element that seems off to me is the floor color. It looks a little orange next to the peach and pink.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gooster, thanks for your comments. The cabinets are simply a stock photo I used for the olioboard. They are not my cabinets. Mine are off-white, but no yellow or cream undertones. We just got electricity late yesterday, so I've not been able to take accurate photos of anything yet.

I have held the aqua toile up to the gray velvet and they play nicely together.

Good point about the cinnabar. I have a pair of foo dogs DH brought me from China. I think I will put them on the bookcase to make sure there is more cinnabar in the room. I think the rule of thumb is 3 of a color. I'll have to see what else I have fits the bill. I have a small plate from occupied Japan. The border is slightly cinnabar. How about a sangre de bouef lamp? With the celadon lamp, that might shout "Here come Santa Claus?"

Here is a link that might be useful: Sangre de Bouef lamp

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I think serene also. And there is nothing there that would conflict if you wanted to add some other new color later on.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, I like the way the table picks up the Greek Key and I also think the gold is a nice accent with the lights.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, linelle. The floor is also a stock photo. The color is similar to mine, but it isn't exactly mine. I think mine is a tad warmer.

I can't remember what I've chosen sometime from minute to minute. The porch ceiling fan was delivered yesterday. It was white and the ceiling is going to be stained beadboard. I have no doubt it is what I picked out, but it certainly isn't what I intended to choose! Fortunately, I got it before installation and our construction superintendent is kindly returning it and getting me a color that is more appropriate!

The sheer number of decisions is sometimes overwhelming! I tried to keep a spreadsheet so I would know what I've done. I finally went to a notebook with a tab for each room and/or area needing choices. It works great when I remember to write down what I've done!

• patricianat
    10 years ago

Don't doubt your choices. For 5 years, I have had a graphite sofa, a pair of wings with the same fabric, very similar rug, same chandelier in DR, a darker recliner and a very dark brown side chair in a somewhat Hermes fabric of very large birds and florals with cayenne, greige, beige-gold and aqua. I have crystal lamps, parchment shades with brass findings, cocktail table (square) with wrought iron legs and my best liquor set on silver tray, similar color floors, an Italian clock on the mantle in a brownish-copper color. My walls have more taupe color and woodwork is just a bit lighter and plantation shutters are of the same color and side faux drapes (that do not traverse) of a lighter hue on silvery rod and rings. I like to mix metals because I have heirlooms I like to use but I like the crispness of the cool metals against the taupe-gray walls. I have throw pillows on my sofa of the wing chair fabric and a plaid in the same colors.

I would like to do pictures but due to optic neuritis, I don't use cameras.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

While I love the cocktail table with the greek key eglomise, I'm waiting to move in before I purchase a table to go in front of the sofa. I want to see exactly what is going to work. I'm also considering bunching tables. See link below. I think I need the spark of gold. (Need, schmeed. The magpie in me wants gold!)

Here is a link that might be useful: bunching tables.

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I think bunching tables are a great idea. I had been contemplating same for my room but I need more dental implants and lost my dental insurance when DH retired, so it's out of pocket for each one. I could have driven a Mercedes in my mouth.

• User
    10 years ago

Love those smaller tables and would use one next to the leather club chair, and use the reverse painted cocktail table in front of the sofa. I like the color scheme very much--- snd I have a love/hate relationship with blue, so for me to like your mockup really says something:-) I like the camel / gold / dusty blue combination especially. The cinnabar--- well, I would have to see the DR table to have an opinion, but if you are resolved I would paint underneath a dark brown, and paint the cinnabar (dark!) over and lightly distress parts so the brown shows thru. OR do a cinnabar color and go over it with a chocolate glaze or wax.

Very serene and lovely--- and NOT boring!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Looks very nice... not too matchy matchy but each color flows to the next. Not sure about recliner color... I'm reading it as salmon. My eye wants it to be caramel. When you say your cabinets are off-white, not creamy, I wonder just how "off" because your backsplash and counter look like they really want white cabinets.

As one who recently moved in to a new place and got a lot of new stuff, it is super super super hard to be patient on all the stuff. I came so close to buying the perfect PB coffee table that I loved, but I held off while I waited the 8-12 weeks for the sofa. So glad I did. When the sofa came, I could not arrange the furniture as I wanted. I knew in advance it was going to be tight to achieve ideal placement. So my beloved chair&ottoman had to go elsewhere so then I needed a padded coffee table to double as an ottoman/coffee table. g'bye PB coffee table.

It's exciting to plan but try to take your time where you can.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kwsl, high praise indeed. Thank you. And thanks for the idea of glazing the cinnabar table. It is not the dining room table. It is a sofa table that I am thinking of using as a server. And don't ask me why I got cinnabar stuck in my head. I have no idea. It just came to me one day. It may look totally awful.

I added a cinnabar table that I found on 1stdibs to the olioboard. IT IS NOTHING LIKE THE TABLE I HAVE, except the general shape (top, 4 legs, no drawers - there the resemblance ends. Mine is Queen Anne-style not Asian-style)

So what is the consensus on the little hit of cinnabar over in the dining room?

If I paint it, I will wait until I get a little farther down the road before I paint it.

image removed for correction

This post was edited by bbstx on Sat, Feb 8, 14 at 17:11

• patricianat
    10 years ago

I think bunching tables are a great idea. I had been contemplating same for my room but I need more dental implants and lost my dental insurance when DH retired, so it's out of pocket for each one. I could have driven a Mercedes in my mouth.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good advice, Wendy. And good catch on the leather. I somehow picked up the wrong leather.

Attached is the olioboard that has been edited to insert the correct leather color for the recliner. I've removed the flooring stock photo and tracked down a photo of my flooring. I've added the cinnabar colored table, but not the table I would use.

The kitchen is still stock photos. The kitchen works and I'm not concerned about it. I included it because it can be seen from the other rooms.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Well, I'm glad I'm late to the party. Your first board came across as being very pink and I was concerned about it being able to stand up to any contemporary art that you might have especially when you mentioned you like strong colours.

what you have posted now, I think, looks good. It isn't dull but will be able to support any contemporary art you might have.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, the difference between the colors on my PC and on my iPad are dramatically different! I've been working from my PC until just a few minutes ago. Now I'm on my iPad. It looks very pink on the iPad. Even the white lampshade looks pink!

Attached is my most favorite piece of art. It is fairly representative of my taste in art. Because I protect it from the light, it may end up in a hall instead of the LR which gets loads of light.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I like the colors in the last grouping better than the first. Well, except for the pink shade, but I just don't care for pink.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The lampshade isn't pink. It is white. It is just the typical inaccuracies you get with computer monitors. But, boy, it does look pink, doesn't it?

• msrose
    10 years ago

Oh! Love the floor! Can you tell me what it is? Your colors remind of a room someone posted on here recently, but I can't remember who it was. She bought two sofas in the same gray fabric. One was a more masculine style for her husband and the other was more feminine. I remember we all thought the room looked so classy. Ring a bell with anyone?

• msrose
    10 years ago

Found it! It was oldbat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oldbat

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have I just totally lost it? Is the cowhide rug too much? I'm thinking of using it in the foyer. The plan right now is for the DR to have a seagrass carpet in a natural color with a matching binding. The LR will have an oushak rug similar to the one in the second post above.

This post was edited by bbstx on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 21:08

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

nifty conversation piece but it lacks the elegance of everything else. Is that called balance?

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just felt the need for a little something unexpected. It would be in front of a very stuffy flame mahogany 3 drawer chest. I don't want to get loaded up on pale colored oriental rugs and I need something for the foyer.

I'm just tossing the idea around in my head.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Well, the cowhide doesn`t reeeeaaaally go. But, would it tie in with something - your artwork, the outside of the house, your setting. For me, it would be a pretty big disconnect with what you`re showing unless there is actually a tie in of some sort.

The one piece of artwork you have shown is a little off beat, so if you have other slightly off beat surprises in your decor it might work. - if you really like it and it appeals to you.

This post was edited by blfenton on Sun, Feb 9, 14 at 23:19

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, blf. That is exactly what I love about this site. Honest criticism! It doesn't tie in with anything. The closest tie-ins might be the leather recliner and the fact that we used to live in Texas!

Houzz shows tons of cowhide rugs these days, but maybe the rooms are more contemporary than mine.

Maybe the cowhide rug in my room is just trying to hard to be different!

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz cowhide rugs[(https://www.houzz.com/products/cowhide-rugs-prbr1-br~t_515~a_623-12946)