Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Family Room Progress - Sofas are here!

oldbat2be
10 years ago

A mere three months or so after ordering them... I have been so excited all week and terribly nervous as well about whether I'd like them but I'm just delighted. Boy are these comfortable, too!

Thank you for your help and advice when I was deciding on what to order. After deciding on the Hickory White sofa, I found a local showroom which had some HW and Sherrill pieces and was able to sit in them and determine what I liked. I learned that because I sit upright, I prefer a shorter seat, a tight back and a firm seat. My sofa has a 22" seat and DH's has a 24" seat.

Here's mine:

From Drop Box

DH's:

Love the fabrics (three altogether).

Mine has the three colors:

DH's sofa - Hickory White. For some reason they've discontinued this frame but I think I was told one could order through December.

My sofa is Sherrill Furniture model 2186 1/2. I ordered both from FurniturelandSouth, and specified Sherrill fabrics.

And just a reminder of how the room used to look... (I know, it looks cozy in hindsight but the low windows and roofline were claustrophobic).

Plenty more still to do but some fun progress! On to figuring out carpet (dark brown?), whether or not to do the built-ins flanking the window, figuring out the fireplace, sconces, add'l lighting, and of course, the TV...

Here is a link that might be useful: Sofas - original link

This post was edited by oldbat2be on Sat, Nov 23, 13 at 10:37

Comments (24)

• User
    10 years ago

Beautiful ! I love the colors...so subtle and very sophisticated looking but comfy too! Look forward to seeing the rest of the room evolve. The windows are so lovely now ! The wall color looks lovely with the sofas. c

• indygo
    10 years ago

It's all beautiful! Agree with trailrunner about the subtlety and sophistication. Great color choices.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

They are so pretty. I like the color of the cushions on the loveseat. I never thought of getting different depths for different people but it's a great idea for people of different heights.

For some reason I thought this room was on your upper floor with the sloped ceiling on the alcove. Yes, I can see where it would be claustrophobic, but it looks wonderful now. LOVE the gray paint. So soft and serene.

• Gooster
    10 years ago

Everything is turning out so well. The sofas turned out great

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

OB, your room is coming together so nicely. I love the beautiful fabric and lines of the pieces you chose. As much as I loved your room before it now looks so beautiful and sophisticated.

I am not usually drawn to grey but I love how wonderful it looks in your room. The windows look so much better. You really have an eye for taking a room from lovely to WOW!!!!

I am so anxious to see what you decide in regards to finishing your fireplace wall. I still love the idea of an encaustic tile for it with the beautiful beam your brother gifted you with!

• loribee
    10 years ago

Ditto--- sophistication plus. The room is evolving very nicely.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

The sofas are beautiful, and I am super impressed at how you are rethinking the layout of the room. That is a difficult space and you have made it look effortless!

• msrose
    10 years ago

Sophistication was the first word that came to my mind also! I love that you used two different sofa styles with the same fabric. I never thought to do that, but since I don't like things to be matchy, matchy, it's a great idea. What color is on the walls? In some shots it looks gray and in others, it look blue?

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

This just looks great OB2B. I love how you opened up the room and installed that great window. While it certainly looked fine before, it looks much more sunny and bright now. Hard to believe that it is the same space. I am also impressed that you got different sofas to suit the different users and made it look seamless. Love the fabric choices!

• Laurie
    10 years ago

I love the look & feel of your new space!
    The sofas, paint, & flooring all go nicely together. I like the subtle color differences of the sofa pillows with the sofa color.
    Very beautiful woodwork on your baseboards, doorways & window.

• sas95
    10 years ago

The sofas are lovely, and look great in your space!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Love the new sofas. I'd never think your before and after were the same room! What a transformation!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Oldbat, the room is lovely. Sofa choices are so elegant and look comfortable. I love your color palette. Added your paint color to my list of favorites. Your new window & door frames are so pretty.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Those are some nice-looking sofas!!

• melsouth
    10 years ago

The room looks great, and the sofas look just right.
    :)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Really nice...can't wait to seek all gussied up!

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

The fabric is fabulous as is it's color. How nice you were able to adjust the seat depth for his and hers.

What paint colors are those on your walls, if you don't mind. So calming and inviting.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the kind words! It's so nice to get something RIGHT. I smile every time I walk by the room:)

I'm still mulling over the 'sophisticated' comments - that hadn't necessarily been in the plans! My goal is to have something serene, quiet and comfortable. We have loved how the this area in the kitchen turned out; that's why we selected the same window for in here.

Thanks trailrunner, indygo-girl, marti8a, loribee, sas95, mtnrdredux, romy718, gssciencechick, melsouth. I'm getting there slowly gooster!

holly-kay - Regarding the fireplace - I'm still not sure what I will do. Thanks for remembering my timberframe mantel plans :)

MarinaGal - you are so right about the layout! It's been a one sofa room for 16 years and lovely to be able to take (hopefully) better advantage of the space.

msrose, SparklingWater - we've used the same wall color as the kitchen in here, BM Aura Vancouver Day, with 25% on the ceiling (first time I've ever used color on a ceiling and I like the effect).

kellinoelle - the big window has made a huge difference.

laurie_2008 - thanks, we continued the same woodwork/trim we had in the rest of the house.

joaniepoanie - exactly! It's really not looking too shabby for a more or less empty room :)

Now if I can just keep the old Hippocratic oath in mind as I keep going (First, Do No Harm...)

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Thought I left a comment here yesterday but apparently the ether ate it.
    Love your sofa choices, and really love how you've opened up the room by raising the ceiling and putting in that window.
    The fabric choices and the not-matching-but-coordinating sofas are perfect.

I've been thinking about your FP wall lately as I've seen several where the stone goes all the way to the ceiling, and they look good. I think I even saw the one on Houzz that you used for a mock up. I hope you revisit the stone all the way up with that timber from your brother.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

When you get to moving on to rug, one that I've been seriously considering for my space, which is totally different but that's irrelevant, might work for you.

I'm going to post the pics found online, but they read green, which the rug IRL does not. It reads grey-blue, and I've got a ton of pics of it up close and far away as my local rug store has it in stock in 8x10. It's got no pattern, but a really interesting texture, which deep in the rug has little pops of a chartreuse.

Close up

The close up photo has the color true, at least on my monitor. I'm on a Mac, and I've recently discovered that my computer shows color much differently than a PC, so I don't know how this will look to you, what computer you use.

I could see something like this that reads more texture and layered color working in your fabulous room, as opposed to something with a definite pattern.

This post was edited by mlweaving_Marji on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 15:34

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

mlweaving, who is the mfr of that rug? Where did you find it? We're having a really hard time picking rugs that aren't out-of-this-world expensive, so we're looking at all comers. (It's hard to believe those two pix are of the same rug).

Oldbat2be, love your sofas!

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I found it at KPM Flooring on Hilton Head.
    It's wool and silk. It's called Zoon Brasil, and there are a variety of rugs, some more patterned than others, in the group.
    It cuts the cost by about 30% if you order it in all wool, but the yarns are much larger and you lose some of the subtlety of the patterning.

It's not inexpensive. KPM had a sale last week and offered 35% off if I wanted to order it, but since I don't have anywhere to put it I couldn't pull the trigger yet.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow that's lovely! Thanks mlweaving_Marji. I definitely see what you mean about the texture. So... Inquiring minds want to know. Just how much was it at 35% off?

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

9x14 rug, at 35% off would have been around $7200. I need a 9x14' rug, so I've only been comparing prices for that size. Sorry I don't know the price on the other sizes.
    This rug at full price is a little more than $11,000.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!