Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

UPDATE! Laundry Room 95% complete.

User
14 years ago

I have been wanted to post this for so long now. :)

Originally I wanted to add chunky black wall shelves from Ballard Designs and my first post everyone kept saying wall cabinets, wall cabinets. After some deep thought, I decided now is the time. I am sooooooooo happy I added the cabinets.

I later asked about wall color but ended up going with my original pick, BM Northampton Putty. Rather hard to photograph. It's not a fun cheery color but I like muted and blah. :) I really did look long and hard at reds and lime greens etc. paint but it's just not me.

The cabinets weren't top of the line so I actually added beadboard wallpaper people rave about in blog land. I think it helped add some personality.

I copied the hanging rack totally from Rhoda's (Southern Hospitality blog) sister. It was just one of those things I fell in love with and didn't care if anyone else thought it was a good idea or not, I was doing it, ha. It's plant hangers from Ace Hardware and a 3' wooden curtain rod. Some might think the height is too short but it needs to stay there. I'm 5'1" and originally had it quite a bit lower. It was a more comfortable height for me but I didn't like how it looked so about 5 holes later it's up. :) To give you an idea of height, I have to extend my arm almost completely straight above my head to reach the rod. There's plenty of room above and at the sink area. Also, the hangers don't touch the wall. Can't really tell that from the pics.

For anyone wondering what's up with the bag holder on the door, this is also where the kitty's restroom is. (To the left, against the wall when you walk in.) That's what they're used for. Not sure if that will stay there or not. Maybe it looks goofy. ? It was a Christmas present and I like the holder. I would love to put black and white check flooring in here but it'll have to wait.

Some other things I plan on doing:

Adding fillers on the sides, get finials for the ends of the "drying rack", sponge paint the counter around the sink like Equest17 did. Probably a dark black color(s). A rug for sure. Want to add red to the room so the rug will come into play there. The floor isn't what I like at all but I've been overlooking that for now. Add some art. The accessories aren't permanent. I was going to add crown but don't think I am now because I want to see the stuff up top.

Considering adding some black glaze to some areas such as the onlay. I'll have to experiment.

Also am not sure what to do with the floor cabinet. Maybe add beadboard wallpaper to the panel and rope moulding around the edges of that? I'm itching to use rope moulding somewhere in the house.

I'm open to any suggestions. I don't believe I'm going to be repainting or taking down the cabinets but you know what I mean. You still can tell you don't like them if you want.

I'm actually doing laundry right now and love going in the new room. :)

Thanks again for all your help along the way!

The painters tape is to represent a 2' black shelf. I might just add art instead.

Gosh, I can never make these short!

Before:

{{gwi:1579813}}

After:

{{gwi:1579814}}

{{gwi:1579815}}

{{gwi:1579816}}

The idea I copied from Rhoda's sister.

{{gwi:1579817}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhoda's blog where I also discovered beadboard wallpaper

Comments (47)

• natal
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Shee, it's beautiful! Bravo!!!

And I think the bag holder is fine. I have a counter where I keep a wooden box that holds all the bags for scooping.

• yodajo
    14 years ago

Very nice! Your cabinets look very nice!
    I think your laundry room is the perfect place to experiment with some things you've been wanting to try.

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

It looks great! I can see why doing laundry in your new room is much more pleasant. I can't believe that's beadboard wallpaper.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

Great job, Sheesharee! It looks like you have tons of storage space in there now.

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

I had to scroll back three times to figure out where you put the beadboard wallpaper. It's amazing what all there is to learn here. Looks great and I'm green with envy! I've been spending the past two days in cold garage doing boatloads of laundry after our 4-day snow trip. The indoor laundry lost out to adding a third bathroom in our remodel--along with the laundry sink--which I really miss that as well.

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

What an amazing transformation! Your wall color is great, & your cabinets are fabulous. You now have a laundry room that is quite beautiful and functional. Great job. Enjoy it!

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys. :)

Here's a closer shot of the cabinets.
    {{gwi:1579818}}
    The wallpaper is really thick and was pretty easy to do. I did caulk around the edges first which I thought was much harder than applying the paper!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wallpaper for anyone curious.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

I am soooo jealous! I want a laundry room too! I can't believe how fast you are getting things done around your home! What a great job!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Sheesharee, you are amazingly creative! I love the transformation of your laundry room with the warm color that makes the creamy white cabinets pop! Where did you buy those cabinets? I love that bead board wallpaper you used on the cabinets that looks so real. Thanks for sharing.

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Looks fantastic! You did an amazing job........pat yourself on the back for all those good ideas!
    Bonnie

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

OMG! Thanks for the close-up. Amazing job on the cabinets. Love the hardware too...SO cute!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Alisha it looks awesome! You did a wonderful job!
    I remember when Rhoda redid that kitchen. We belong to one of the MSN groups at the time.

• Melissa Houser
    14 years ago

I like it! I don't think your paint color is blah at all; it really ties in nicely with the floor and makes the whites stand out better. I would go with art above the hanging rack. A shelf up there would just make your room look cluttered, IMO.

The kitty bags look fine to me. I have a similar collection hanging in my laundry room now, only mine are used for dryer lint, which I donate to the birds when the bags get full. I then reuse the bags as bathroom trash bags.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

You continue to amaze me with all you have done. There are so many good ideas in that room. And thanks for pointing me to Rhoda's blog - she is amazing.

I think you should do a Sheesharee 2009 retrospective post containing all your before and after pics.

• tinam61
    14 years ago

It looks great Shee!! Love Rhoda's blog and you can get some great ideas from her. Your cabinets turned out really, really good! I don't see a problem with the bag holder. I have one in our pantry for the recycled plastic bags.

I think you should send these pics to Rhoda. I know she'd love to see what you've done!

tina

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Wow Sheesharee really beautiful, crisp, clean...love it. The color turned out great!

• punkyman
    14 years ago

Looks great!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

So happy for you! It looks 'mah-ve-lous! The wall color looks great, not blah. You mentioned placing a black shelf above the drying rack like in you insp. pic. I would stay with white since the rack is also white. Place a colorful, fun rug in that space and voila, your done! Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Initial Rug

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lynn - The cabinets were stock ones from Lowes. I looking into having custom done but it was too much.

Graywings - Thanks, it was nice to hear that. I've been really feeling at a stand still lately like I haven't been getting anything done. Maybe I'll put together some before and afters of everything. I need to get my main bath painted yet so I can show photos of that. Get a bed, etc.

Tina - I actually did send Rhoda an email last night. I had asked her some questions along the way and wanted to show her what she helped me accomplish.

Kmcg - Whoa! I love that rug! I'd buy it in the K! I do wish it was red instead of green though. I'll have to double check the size later but I just might order that one.
    I originally wanted a black rack but they only had white. My friend gave me the wooden rod and it also happened to be white. I was going to paint everything but left it alone for now. After looking at photos, I think I'm going to put art up there.

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments. This made my evening and morning!

• zipdee
    14 years ago

Wonderful job, it turned out beautiful! Nice place to spend your time doing laundry, I'm sure it makes the job much more pleasant.

• nicole__
    14 years ago

WOW! Another project done! Cool space!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Glad you liked the rug! I WAS looking for something red, but when I came across that one and it was the original apple green you HAD been considering, I thought it was a fun way to bring that color in there. On sale to boot!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I just finished my laundry room with similar cabinets. Just got to put up a wallpaper border and some decor on top of cabinets then will post pictures too. It is so helpful to have cabinets so you can keep the doors closed no matter what you store (instead of just shelves). I love the beadboard paper, thanks for the link. Your wall color is beautiful and looks great with the flooring. NICE JOB!!!

• parma42
    14 years ago

Wow, you do quick work!

It looks great!

• jlj48
    14 years ago

Beautiful transformation! So crisp and clean! You have inspired me with that paint color. I love it. And love the beadboard wallpaper. I'm going to have to check that out. Fantastic Job!

• georgiagal
    14 years ago

YAY for you! So glad you got all of that done in your LR. It looks fantastic. My sister's drying bar was a genuis idea for a small space & you've executed it perfectly. So glad you shared this with me and so glad you used the beadboard wallpaper. IT's fantastic stuff, in fact, I'm going to be carrying it in my online shop very soon, so I hope everyone will come and buy from my shop.

Your LR has improved so much, I know you are loving it. Thanks for sharing it with me & everyone else. And thanks for the shout-out. Hope you all come & visit me at Southern Hospitality. Today I'm doing a recap of all my Top Projects for 2009. I dont' get over here like I used to, that blog keeps me busy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Top PRojects 2009 at Southern Hospitality

• User
    14 years ago

You do amazing work ! Looks wonderful and I agree it would be a joy to be in there to do laundry. c

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

WOW! Shee, that is fantastic. Love it~ you did a great job!

Smiles:)

• User
    14 years ago

Looks great. I dont think you would have been happy with black shelving, not sure what it is in the laundry room, must be the dryer because I find there is so much more dust in this room than the other parts of the house. You would have been forever dusting those black shelves.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Excellent transformation!!

I am SO jealous too -- I would LOVE to have a real laundry room with a sink! :)

Very well done indeed! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Roseabbey - Oh yeah, lint galore. I would've been changing it to cabinets asap.

Sooo thankful for all your guidance!

Does anyone think I should not sponge paint the counter around the sink like Equest did? The counter does work with the floor but I don't like the floor. I don't think either of them really go with the room or what I'm going for. (Silly me, as I picked them both!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Avocado Bathroom - Equest17

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Since its a laundry room sink and not a bathroom sink, I would not paint it. There is more of a chance of using cleaning solvents, bleach and spilling on the counter than if it were in a bathroom. Formica is much more resistant than paint!
    I love your laundry room and repeat " I am soooo jealous"

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Looks great Shee - don't ya just love that beadboard wallpaper??? I used it in my bath and bedroom with wainscoting, and just love it. The laundry room looks great, when are you going to unveil your bath room renovation?

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

JellyDonuts..... WOW!

I had to keep scrolling from the first pic to the second to make sure it was the same room!

You have every right to do your laundry and beam from ear to ear...You've done a great job!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I just received a slew of mags in the mail today and I saw an ad for Modern Masters Countertop Transformations. I thought of this post. It said for about $250 you could transform the look of your countertops! Check it out!

Here is a link that might be useful: Countertop Transformation

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Hey - I'd hideout in the laundry room away from my kids if that were mine! Is there a wine frig for you?

Looks great!

In response to your question about my kitchen I have nothing to show. Just ideas floating in my head, plans being drauwn up now and a minimum of 6 huge swatches of paint. Horrid oak cabinets (your pics are giving me a great idea to repurpose them in my mudroom when I rip them out), an even more horrid white tile countertop and backsplash w/ pictures of herbs that is totally off center.

The only way I'll show yo a pic is if that kitchen is in it's normal and full state of disarray becuase you'd all think it was a joke and then only if I've had a drink!

• annkathryn
    14 years ago

Wow that beadboard wallpaper is a terrific idea. I have flat-panel doors in my laundry room that would be perfect for a trial run of this, and then I just might move on to a built-in cabinet that stores linens.

One question though: can the paper be wrapped around the door, or does it really need to be framed? You mentioned it's pretty thick so I'm guessing that it's not going to wrap very well.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cooper - I currenlty use Charlie's Soap and for the most part don't have to mess with the sink at all but in the furture with kids someday. . . My Mom was forever getting stains out from us!

Nanny! I know... *hanging head in shame* I was holding off on paint because an electrician was to do some work for us and take care of the light at the same time. He's no longer going to be doing the work. We still need the electrical stuff done but it's been put on the back burner for the time being. I might as well paint now and deal with the bathroom light later. I'll try and hurry to get that painted!

For those of you who don't know, Nanny2a made my shower curtain and she did an awesome job. I'm very pleased with it. Anyone who lacks in sewing skills, such as myself, should talk to her about making your stuff. Get her started with an online sewing business. You've all seen her work on here before. It's pretty amazing. :)

Kmcg - What I saw on that site looked cool. I need to check out the videos yet. Thanks! Was the $250 for something that size?

Annk - You mean wrap it around the sides of the door onto the back? I'm trying to figure out how you'd do that around the edges, top and side. I think it would wrap but I can't picture it. I'll take a photo of the paper tonight on the roll so you can get a better idea. If you wanted to see it now, if you click on Rhoda's blog, on the right side down a little ways there's word links you can click on. I think the 2nd or 3rd one says beadboard wallpaper. You can also do a search right on her site about it and all the projects will shows up. Tonight we have a lot of running around to do (birthday's, family members going in for surgery tomorrow, etc) but give me a day or so and I'll take a photo.

Ha, Ttodd! Well ok then. When are you guys moving again? I'm excited to see all you do with your new place.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Great job. I knew you would be happy with the cabinets.

My LR has been my most rewarding project, it's silly I know.

Kmcg85, thanks for the link. I wanted Caesar Stone but they said that my 14' X 2' didn't meet the minimum requirement.

• natal
    14 years ago

Mustangs, have you checked with other quartz manufacturers? I never heard of a minimum requirement.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Natal, that's good to know. I got this same response from Lowe's and the Caesar Stone rep. I'll keep trying as the red CaesarStone is to die for.

• natal
    14 years ago

What a fun color choice! Silestone offers 2 reds. Cambria and HanStone each offer one.

Silestone

Cambria

HanStone

• annkathryn
    14 years ago

Hi sheesharee,
    Yes, I meant wrap the paper around the sides of the door onto the back, but in discussing with DH we think we should probably just create a frame around each door instead. I looked at the blog you linked and got great ideas from it.

Thanks!

• Arapaho-Rd
    14 years ago

sheesharee, everything looks great! What a transformation~ you did a wonderful job. I absolutely love what you put on your shelf - a pediment (?), topiary, etc. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find them?

• loribee
    14 years ago

Grand transformation!!! You must be tickled to pieces!

• mkwag
    14 years ago

Wow! I love it! We've been thinking of ways to update our white cabinets. I can't wait to show my husband your project. :)

• nhb22
    14 years ago

sheesharee - It all looks fabulous! I went into my laundry room to see if I could do something similar, but my cabinets have a prefab moulding look already and would not accommodate the bead-board. I don't think the look would have gone in this house, anyway. :( I have always loved bead-board, though.